mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Scratch on Frame Repair

Third ride on my brand new mojo and an OTB on a rocky section resulted in some scratches right on the side of my top tube.

They're not too deep, and there is no threat to the structural integrity of the frame. I'm just interested in anything I can do to minimize the aesthetic damage and make it less noticeable.

A buddy suggested I sand the scratched section down a bit with 1000 grain sandpaper. Will that do more harm than good? Any other ideas on how to fill in the scratches or make them less obvious?

I know its meant to be ridden and stuff is going to happen, Its such a beautiful bike and I'd love to minimize the damage.

Thanks in advance,

-James
    Last edited by quaestionis; 11-04-2012 at 09:14 PM.

Dropshot Champ!
    just throw some 3m tape over it:

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    As it is a nude frame, put some clear nail polish over the scratches, it will reduce them a little bit, then ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Put a very nice sticker .

www.derbyrims.com
    Bummer... 3'rd ride!

You could try hand applying clear nail-polish or paint, wet sand smooth and hand polish with car paint polishing compound ....if it still looks bad to you.. then maybe go the pro carbon fiber painter route.

Contact Ibis, they could refer a carbon fiber repair service. That surface paint-only repair might be under $100.

mtbr member
    get ready for more of those coming
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    nah.... clear nail polish over the scratches worked pretty well on my previous (glossy) nude mojo, though I can't find it now and need to try it on my (flat) nude HD

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I second, or is it third?, the clear nail polish. I bunged the crap out of my Mojo C in the same area a few years ago while manualing in my driveway after a few beers... And clear nail polish was recommended by Ibis.
    Evil Undead & a box of trail bike parts waiting for a new frame

Too Much Fun
    Try Pedros Bike Lust. I used that on my Mojo SL (nude black like yours) and it helped the scratches lose some visibility.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Could be worse! I dented my Ventana in Downieville when it was only a few months old. 12 years later the dent is a fond reminder of the great times I have had on that bike. Looking forward to 12 years on the new HD. After that I will be 71, and my next bike will probably have three wheels.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    get ready for more of those coming
    You´re right ..... this is mountain biking

Too Much Fun

Good job! Yes

Quote Originally Posted by bmclemens View Post
    Could be worse! I dented my Ventana in Downieville when it was only a few months old. 12 years later the dent is a fond reminder of the great times I have had on that bike. Looking forward to 12 years on the new HD. After that I will be 71, and my next bike will probably have three wheels.
    And that, my friends, is the right attitude!
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    I've used clear nail polish before mojo got too scraped up to matter. It works ok, best for glossy finishes (not matte), as it dries glossy. At least mine did. For your larger scrape i would try rubbing compound (aka polishing compound, found in auto stores) first, then finish with nail polish if necessary. Test the compound on a hidden area first and follow instructions.

The nail polish would probably not dry flush with the surrounding clear coat (will be raised a bit, which might bug you), which is why I'd try rubbing it out first. I would not use even fine grain sandpaper, but maybe I'm just chicken.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Don't know what happened, I stopped getting notifications about new posts to my thread after the first one. So sorry for not checking back in sooner, and thanks so much to all of you for the thoughtful responses.

I'll report back once again after implementing some of your suggestions, and thanks again for taking the time to respond.

-James

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Could be worse for sure.. Foot slipped out of the pedal in a sketchy rock drop area,, slid forward, almost went over the 100ft cliff--luckily hit the tree--bike flipped over and a rock crushed/cracked/penetrated the top tube..i went from lalalala isn't this a great day for a ride--to almost dying AND even worse, writing off my mojo HD frame..lol.. Though all ended up well--got a new front triangle with all the updates --so all is good.. First ride i did on the new bike was the trail that took the first frame.. Couldn't let the trail get away with
    that..

As for your scratches--rub a little car wax in the scratches--then just buff the wax off--it'll be good as new..

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    clear nail polish then let it dry and lightly sand and buff to finish