Slothful dirt hippie

Scoring on 'bump' under Lopes link?

Thanks to our lovely spring mud season, my new Ibis is already acquiring the 'lived-in look'. Peanut butter clay mud + gravel apparently has an affinity for those tight linkages. Nothing like coming in from a 2+ hour ride sounding slightly crunchy....

I've noticed some scoring on that seat tube bump that goes under the upper link, probably from gunk that flung into the top and then got worked down with vibration/suspension movement while riding. Is it anything to worry about? Sure hope not, because I dunno how the heck to prevent it!
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

meh
    quite a few people have come up with fender like solutions in that area, using a variety of materials

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu
    quite a few people have come up with fender like solutions in that area, using a variety of materials
    I'd love to see examples if that's the case, as my caneo-imaginarium is returning only paper clips, disco, and flying monkeys right now....

aka übermensch
    I put a piece of leftover frameskin (www.frameskin.com) from one of Fishboy's kits under the Lopes Link on that protrusion. I cut it to fit when I had my frame apart and applied it there. It won't keep crap from getting in there, but it does protect the finish of the frame.

Helicopter tape or something similar would do the trick as well.
    08 Ibis Mojo SL
    09 Ibis Tranny SingleSpeed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr
    I'd love to see examples if that's the case, as my caneo-imaginarium is returning only paper clips, disco, and flying monkeys right now....
    If you do some poking around in the archives of this forum you will find some photos. Some pretty ingenious ideas.

mtbr member
    was this thread the one you were referring to?

Another "problem" with the LL

i think the original issues in the thread were due to a production spec issue which was resolved. i guess i had one of the earlier 'bad' versions of the lopes link that resulted in the scoring...i took a file and filed it down on the bottom. it's still occurring, so next time i take the bike apart i will shave it down some more.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Nope, the link is clearing fine, this is actually on the 'bump' under the link itself. And you can see the likely culprit splattered liberally here as well.

I emailed Ibis and Scott emailed back with this: "There's nothing to worry about. There's a ton of material there, and some bikes have a little more than others. If the cosmetics don't bug you, then I would not worry about it." I bought the bike to ride dirt, so I'm indeed done worrying about it.

He also accused me of having a clean desk when I sent him a picture of the dirty bike hanging out in my office after a lunch hour ride. What he didn't realize was that I'd taken the shot in front of a desk not belonging to me because mine was such a mess.

meh

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Same thing with my new Mojo SL. I guessing a rock landed right behind the shock and fell in the pocket above the Lopes Link. On a down hill the suspension crunched the rock against the paint like a mortar and pestle. I'll send pics.