mtbr member
    Jul 2009

RWC Needle Bearings on a Mojo HD?

Anyone install this into their HD? How's it working out?

The turner guys seem to love it, helps with square edge/small bump compliance.

I just picked up the rear and the front set, but as I'm reading it doesn't seem like the front really matters since there isn't much rotation. Should I send the fronts back?

Thanks for the feedback in advance.

RWC SHOCK EYE NEEDLE BEARING KITS

mtbr member
    I have a set on my HD with my modded rp23. Works great. To be honest I don't know if I can tell the difference from stock to the RWC.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by darnelli View Post
    I just picked up the rear and the front set, but as I'm reading it doesn't seem like the front really matters since there isn't much rotation. Should I send the fronts back?
    That was the logic I went with on my Reign X and it proved good. On that bike I would go through 2+ DU bushings per year on the side that rotated a bunch. That bike has a bit higher leverage ratio so that played a roll as well because the force on the bushing was higher. I could feel the improved smoothness for sure on the Reign, but I haven't swapped it on to my HD yet as I'm still deciding if I will keep the RP23 (at least the 8.5" one )

aka dan51
    I did the lower one on my HD, can't say it made a difference. Did it on my regular mojo and also did not notice a difference. The turners have a lot more rotation at one of their mount points, so I can see it helping there.
    If they last longer than a DU that makes it a worthy upgrade for me.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

Commit or eat sh!t
    I have put them on 2 other bikes, and they did make a noticeable difference with small bump compliance. The flip side is that they will also make the bike bob (more than before) on climbs as well.

Since they don't cost that much and easy to install, why don't you install them and report back to us?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I noticed a fair bit of difference on my Mojo SL. I'm running them back and front, though agree that the rear probably makes most of the difference. Feels much plusher, rear wheel more glued to the terrain over big braking bumps. I did run the shock without them for a few weeks last year to see the difference and soon put them back in again .

mtbr member
    Did you guys need the RWC DU BUSHING AND NEEDLE BEARING TOOLS or what did you use for proper installation?

DU Bushing and Needle Bearing Shock Tool

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Any feedback on durability in wet weather?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    just installed the needle bearing in the rear, just did some circles on the street and from what i can tell it feels like the suspension engages more smooth (less stiction), or could be in my head

i'll see if i can hit a trail with it this week

i'm probably not going to go with the front, it doesn't seem like the front takes any rotation at all

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thinking of such for my HD and would sure be interested in replies to Voob's question of install and Jim EG's question of durability.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by BillJCdn View Post
    Thinking of such for my HD and would sure be interested in replies to Voob's question of install and Jim EG's question of durability.
    I have the tools and used them for install. Not necessary, but it makes things easier. Many of my friends have borrowed them to do their installs.

Cn't speak to durability in wet areas, but I've had mine on the HD for over a year and they still work fine, no play.
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I have a brand new set for sale if anyone is interested. email me at: kenandwoo@hotmail.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    I have the tools and used them for install. Not necessary, but it makes things easier. Many of my friends have borrowed them to do their installs.

Cn't speak to durability in wet areas, but I've had mine on the HD for over a year and they still work fine, no play.
    Hey dbug,
    I read both your replays to this post. Now that you have had this system longer anymore input on performance?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by mbtec1 View Post
    Hey dbug,
    I read both your replays to this post. Now that you have had this system longer anymore input on performance?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I think the only time performance differences will be noticed is after the initial change to the roller bearings. I can say that I like having a longer wear life on them. By now I would have replaced the DU at least once.
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have the RWC bearings on my Vivid Air, seems to make s difference but I would like to see some hard numbers stating that.

They also look pretty bling with the red.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RWC Needle Bearings on a Mojo HD?-rwcvivid.jpg  

bike rider
    I like the sound of the new Fox bushing/spacer system. Sounds like it solves all the old problems while being simpler than needles.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Needle bearings are the setup.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JimEG View Post
    Any feedback on durability in wet weather?
    I live in the PNW, and used needle bearings through the winter. You'll need to repack the bearing grease for the lower (rearward) bearing often if you want them to last.

With that said, I ended up removing the needle bearings and going back to DU bushings for my HD w/ Monarch Plus RC3. I didn't like the "slop" feel that seemed to radiate through the frame over time. It made my HD feel very loose. They definitely made the rear-end feel smoother on compression, but in the end the "slop" really got annoying. I cleaned and re-packed the bearings and the slop would go away for a couple of rides, but I didn't want to deal with it anymore. And for the HD, there just isn't enough rotation to make needle bearings a worthwhile upgrade.

I went back to DU bushings and couldn't be happier.

I buy DU bushings online from https://www.motionindustries.com
    $2.38 ea - Garlock Bearings 08DU08 DU BUSHING Item No. 00026280.
    - 2011 Mojo HD
    - 2006 Enduro Pro (Some a$$hat stole it!!!)
    - 2004 Demo 9 DH
    - 2007 Titus Motolite

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by enduro View Post
    I live in the PNW, and used needle bearings through the winter. You'll need to repack the bearing grease for the lower (rearward) bearing often if you want them to last.

With that said, I ended up removing the needle bearings and going back to DU bushings for my HD w/ Monarch Plus RC3. I didn't like the "slop" feel that seemed to radiate through the frame over time. It made my HD feel very loose. They definitely made the rear-end feel smoother on compression, but in the end the "slop" really got annoying. I cleaned and re-packed the bearings and the slop would go away for a couple of rides, but I didn't want to deal with it anymore. And for the HD, there just isn't enough rotation to make needle bearings a worthwhile upgrade.

I went back to DU bushings and couldn't be happier.

I buy DU bushings online from https://www.motionindustries.com
    $2.38 ea - Garlock Bearings 08DU08 DU BUSHING Item No. 00026280.
    I sort of agree with this as well. I did it because I could, but with the new CTD and their new bushing system, it makes the RWC irrelevant. You're right, the HD doesn't rotate more than a few degrees of motion on the back pivot to really warrant the bearings, but I did notice that I did have to pump up the shock another 15-20 pounds to make up the difference, not sure why that is.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I used RWC needle bearings on my enduro and nomad RP23s and Vivid coils. Made the shocks "free er" than standard DU/alu but slop developed over time, they rusted quickly, and I have had much better luck with Igus ceramic slotted bushings. Look just like the new Fox ones!