mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Rusty headset bearings

I've recently replaced the cartridge bearings in the Cane Creek IS-2 headset that came with my Ibis Mojo. It appears that mud and moisture found their way into the carbon frame via the top of the seat post (Easton EC90) and/or the small cut out below the rear of the seat post binder. In the process of crashing, jumping double flips (not really) and flipping the bike over to inspect its nether regions, the muck came to rest in the head tube and seriously foulded up the lower bearing. I was able to find an IS-6 headset on sale online -- it comes with what I think are compatible stainless steel bearings (the IS-2 bearings are apparently "stainable") -- for far less than the replacement stainless bearings offered on the Cane Creek website.

I would be interested in hearing from others about strategies to avoid this muck up. Easiest = don't ride in the mud, rain or water, or wash the bike with a hose; easy = seal off the holes around the seat post (I have placed a glob of the cabon fiber micro-bead "grease" in the cut out); difficult = seal off the head tube from the rest of the frame.
    Ok, guy.

mtbr member
    The Easton EC 90 post is flat on the front and back and I think water thrown up from the rear tire hits the post and runs right into the frame. I used a section of a tube to seal the area when riding in wet stuff.
    milesW

flow where ever you go
    Go with Solos. Much better seals and steel. I think Hope has headsets that will work now also. Likely they also have better seals and steel.

I've had that happen on many bikes before finally learning to always get a top quality headset. It makes a big difference.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    It's more likely that the moisture got to your headset from washing the bike improperly. However, if moisture does get into your seat tube, you can always take the seatpost off once in a great while, turn bike upside down to let it drain then leave the post off to let it evaporate...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have a solos, have not seen water in there yet. I have taken it apart a few times
    to take on plane and not a drop of water.
    Mitch

LJJ
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    It's more likely that the moisture got to your headset from washing the bike improperly. However, if moisture does get into your seat tube, you can always take the seatpost off once in a great while, turn bike upside down to let it drain then leave the post off to let it evaporate...
    Riding in the UK winter = MUD, so the Mojo gets washed EVERY ride. I dry it off as much as possible then put it in the house where it's always hot (girlfriend ensures this!). I take the seatpost out, and both wheels off to allow any moisture to evaporate out. You could also take the fork off now and again, but how much is a bearing race - $ 7-10. No big deal.

LJJ

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

More water and dirt in headset

I just pulled apart my canecreek IS-2 and the lower bearing was very rusted.
    I never use high pressure water to wash my bike. Also since we have water restriction here in Oz it does not get washed very often. Signs of dirt grains near the lower cup would imply that there is a big hole somewhere. Probably the seatpost as previously suggested.
    For now I have swapped the upper bearing to the bottom(ibis should put this detail in their manual) and I de-rusted the ex-lower bearing and popped the seals(which were surprisingly smooth) and regreasesd it.

Gentleman Loser

Concur with d3toid

Every few months, I remove my bearings, partailly disassemble, clean with solvent, dry, regrease, and reinstall.

Actually, I've taken to rotating three bearings through the frame, top - bottom - out for service.

I'm using the stainless steel TH Industries bearings, a la FSA and Cane Creek.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Thanks...

I appreciate the input. I've sealed the area around the seat post clamp, and regret mentioning that moisture may have entered through the top of the seat post -- its solid, i.e., one chunk of carbon without holes. It can't be improper washing, 'cause I use unpressurized water from a hose and dribble it on; plus, there was way too much dirt in the head tube for it to be a washing issue.
    Ok, guy.