Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006

Rubberized Paint Protection

I have seen it stated several times in different posts that the tapes most people use to protect the clear finishes will not properly adhere to the rubberized paint. Do we have a definitive answer on this? Hans, what's your take on this?

I have seen pictures from several of the new SL owners with matte clear finish that clearly show them using protective tape where the cables cross the seat stay.

I want to figure this out before my SL arrives, but don't want to waste $$ on tape that will not work. I also do not want to use the shiny clear tape. Has anyone looked into matte clear tapes that might blend in better with the matte finish?

I found this 3M tape http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_html that comes in a matte clear, but can not find anyplace that sells it in small quantities.

Let's figure this out...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Avam,

I have the SL in matte clear, my dealer added the protective tape to my frame and it's sticking no problem. I was told to hair dry it in low heat and to rub out all the air bubbles. I have the protective tape where the top tube and the head tube meet, on each side of the seat tube and from about half way down from the down tube to the bottom bracket. I have only had it for a few weeks, so only time will tell how long the tape will stay.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Tape and the Rubberized paint

I have been running tape on two rubberized painted Mojos and it has stuck well and worked great.
    Rick
    Bicycle Engineering
    Davis, CA

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Here's what Wikipedia has to say about it: "The durability of the paint hasn't been confirmed yet due to the SL has only reach to some buyers hand. It is possible to stick protective tapes on the new bike finish."