Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Rubberized Paint or Matte

Anyone who post a thread stating the SL has rubberized paint is being misleading in my opinion. I think anyone who owns a matte SL will concur.

When my SL arrived, my first move was to rub my finger on this rubberized paint. Its a matte finish the end. Nothing soft to the touch. Do not expect anything revolutionary. Its seems like plain matte carbon. In fact, the finish is an accord with the easton ec90 seat post finish.

BTW, In pictures on this forum, it appears as if the SL is gray, its not, its black. As with the nature of any matte finish, it absorbs light as opposed to reflecting light. Thus, a camera flash will make this matte paint look gray.

Hear me loud and clear the new matte finish is the most Badass durable finish you could ever have on a carbon frame, but stating its a "rubberized finish" seems odd.

I was expecting a condom like finish. Why do they call it rubberized. I'm sure its a logical reason.
    Last edited by Alabama; 01-23-2008 at 04:49 PM.

Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006
    I'm pleased to see you are supporting the finish. Your thread title made me think you were going to report some serious problem.

mtbr member
    No problems, perfect in every way - titled edited

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Hans, what is the finish really just ordinary paint ?

Hans probably needs to repond to this one. The pond scum finish I have seen was not "rubber" but it did appear to be something really different than any standard finish.
    As stated on the ibis website, "Special rubber paint (durable, easy to clean)".

I found it not that easy to clean once it had scuff marks, but monstrously durable as far as injury to the finish by those marks. Much more so than my head when I do this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have to give them a pass on using "rubberized" to describe the paint.

The paint used on the flexible bumper covers on your car are "rubberized", or "flexibilized" if that is even a word. It's damn expensive which you might know if you ever needed a repaint, but it indeed works. The point is, the paint can deform more than traditional polyurethane enamel so it is more resistant to cracks and chips. Good choice indeed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

It's different.

It's not exactly the same as the regular matte clear, though it looks the same. As Alabama mentioned, Matte Clear can be super tough as well (aka Easton bars, posts and forks)
    It's a special PU paint that the factory uses on hockey sticks that we borrowed for bikes. From my informal tests it's at least 2 x more resistant to chipping and the chips are much smaller as well.
    H

mtbr member
    WOW - HOCKEY STICKS Thats about the most evil abuse I can imagine. Its logical because I can imagine alot of tech going into Hockey sticks. Talk about carry over technology!

My XTR looks 5 years old but my frame has not a scratch. I was thinking it was just luck. This informal test is all positive.

Ibis thank you for a no regret purchase! Its nice to have the only gripe being post descriptions of the finish.

Thanks for the info Hans - your input truly adds to the mojo ownership experience. Who would of guessed Hockey stick finish - gotta love that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Here's the funny video of PU/Condom Paint

Here's the video that CJH found that shows another version of the paint on some bricks etc. http://www.paxcon.com/tv_news.shtml

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc
    It's not exactly the same as the regular matte clear, though it looks the same. As Alabama mentioned, Matte Clear can be super tough as well (aka Easton bars, posts and forks)
    It's a special PU paint that the factory uses on hockey sticks that we borrowed for bikes. From my informal tests it's at least 2 x more resistant to chipping and the chips are much smaller as well.
    H
    If it's so much better than the normal paint, why isn't it available on the Original Mojo? I don't want or need the weight weenie savings of the SL,but I really want this paint...

It's the only bloody thing stopping me buying a Mojo to be honest... I feel ripped off that I can't get the most technically superior finish on my choice of frame and it's starting to make me grumpy

mtbr member
    Tensim thats silly, order the SL.
    If what stopping you from pulling the trigger is that you DO NOT want a superior lighter frame design with no penalties, then no offense but thats ridiculous! You say you want the most Technically superior equipment in one breath and then desire old heavy technology in another breath.
    The original mojo and its finish do serve a bling function. Side by side a newbie would choose the original bling finish because it looks so good.
    Order your SL and I will sell you a Alabama Original Mojo Kit. Yes, its a one pound brick but your insecurities about being a WW will be gone!
    Seriously Tensim, I do not mean to be hard on you, but if you do order a SL you will never be grumpy again. Truthfully, I have $7,500 in my SL and I feel like I ripped Ibis off. Its been that good!
    Better get your order in quick or you will be in line till '09. Then we will see the Mojo SFL. I heard the Super F#*ckin Light frame is helium filled with condom paint. That should really get you grumpy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Cool-blue Rhythm Pure Comedy Genius

> I heard the Super F#*ckin Light frame is helium filled with condom paint.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabama
    Tensim thats silly, order the SL.
    If what stopping you from pulling the trigger is that you DO NOT want a superior lighter frame design with no penalties, then no offense but thats ridiculous! You say you want the most Technically superior equipment in one breath and then desire old heavy technology in another breath...
    Hi Alabama, no offense taken

It's not so much that I want old heavy technology, but I don't see the need for the WW improvements of the SL in my application... I don't want/need carbon fiber dropouts or head cups (seems risky to me for some reason, probably totally irrational!).

I'm looking to build my Mojo up much like a SC Nomad, is this feasible?

Just how beefy have people built the SL? Or planning to (seeing as there ain't that many of these out there yet )

Geritol Power

I know I have seen at least 3 buffy builds posted

Quote Originally Posted by tensim

Just how beefy have people built the SL? Or planning to (seeing as there ain't that many of these out there yet )
    Gonzo posted his SL. I'm pretty sure that's what you're looking for. Sean's is close also.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tensim
    Hi Alabama, no offense taken

It's not so much that I want old heavy technology, but I don't see the need for the WW improvements of the SL in my application... I don't want/need carbon fiber dropouts or head cups (seems risky to me for some reason, probably totally irrational!).

This is the spec for my Mojo (it is the original not an SL frame).

Frame: Ibis Mojo - Large
    Rear Shock: Pushed Fox Vanilla RC 550lbs spring
    Fork: 160mm Lyrik U-Turn Coil (I also have a 150m Pace fighter RC41 with 20mm)
    Wheel Set: Mavic Crossmax XL with 2.35" kenda nevegal
    Brakes: Magura Louise FR
    Seatpost: Maveric speedball with remote
    Stem: Thompson X4 31.8mm clamp 50mm length
    Handlebars: Easton EC70 Monkeylite 31.8mm clamp
    Cranks & BB: Shimano XTR 2006
    Pedals: Shimano M970
    Front Dérailleur: Shimano XT
    Rear Dérailleur: SRAM x.9
    Shifters: SRAM x.0
    Grips: ODI Rogue Lockons
    Cassette: SRAM 990 9 speed
    Chainrings: 22/32 Shimano XTR
    Bashguard: Blackspire ring X god (for XTR)
    Chain guide: Blackspire Stinger

mtbr member
    New tech always gives people anxiety. I purchased the Ibis because of Ibis support. I would love to break a head cup or dropout because I know without a shadow of a doubt Ibis will send me a new frame. ZERO ANXIETY
    However, I must admit my Ibis appears to gain one pound a month. I have deviated from WTFSL build in grips, seat, wheels, and tires. Truthfully, I have fox vanilla components front and rear in my spare parts bin and do not know how much longer I can what to try them out on the SL. Gettin' fat!
    Thus, go with the weight savings on the frame because its so easy to make everything else so heavy. Extra weight in the suspenders makes all the difference in the world, extra weight in the frame does nothing to further any cause. No, not even strength in this case.
    Tensim, a WTFSL will do almost everything a nomad will do. I must say I am excited to see what you build. PULL THE TRIGGER you will have no regrets. promise.

mtbr member
    From the demo bike that I had for a day, the paint seems soft/rubbery and chip resistant. I noticed that the front derailleur clamp caused the paint to bulge a little. There were also a lot of scuffs on the paint, but being a demo bike, I didn't try to see how easy it was to clean off. If I got a Mojo, I wouldn't mind having this type of finish in flat black.

mtbr member
    Sean, what's the weight of your ride?

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Sean, what's the weight of your ride?
    I don't have an accurate weight as i keep forgetting to take it into a shop scale. but my bathroom scales has it as 30lbs with pedals - but I think that is a generous weight.

I will try and get an accurate weight this weekend.

I also finally decided to bite the bullet and my Titanium Spring arrived recently as well. I will get a weight on the spring difference as well.

mtbr member
    Thanks Sean, I would imagine that your build feels incredible.

I'm sure after a year of ownership my 21.9lbs will be a distant memory. 24 today.

Ti spring conversion is so trick, my old merlin has a judy sl with a white brothers ti spring kit in it. A decade later, it still feels great! At least you will see your ti spring.

Sean, you seem into comfort, what's your pick on saddles, weight being no issue, comfort only?

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    I pick saddles for weight/cost rather than comfort - simply because I have never found light to be uncomfortable.

On my Mojo I currently have a Terry Fly - but I don't remember whether I went with the Ti rail version.

On my Blackmarket I have a cushy Deity saddle but it rarely gets any weight.

On my Intense M1 I have some old saddle that even less often gets any weight.

mtbr member
    Come on Sean, cost has not influenced any of your build choices unless you mean what cost the most$$$! I pick saddles based on the seat of my pants. You know you have dual silver springs under your saddle! Just kidding man... BTW, I feel so guilty that my wife has such a anchor of a bike, you make me look real bad. Medium pink SFL in her future.

I just got back from a spin and I couldn't get it out of my mind - Hockey Sticks - Anyone know anything about Hockey Sticks?

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Come on Sean, cost has not influenced any of your build choices unless you mean what cost the most$$$! I pick saddles based on the seat of my pants. You know you have dual silver springs under your saddle! Just kidding man... BTW, I feel so guilty that my wife has such a anchor of a bike, you make me look real bad. Medium pink SFL in her future.

I just got back from a spin and I couldn't get it out of my mind - Hockey Sticks - Anyone know anything about Hockey Sticks?
    LOL!! My wife is very happy with her Medium Mojo with Chris King Pretty in Pink Hubs.

Yeah, hockey... that there is a game I don't get. But then it was never played down under. I expect I would have as much luck explain how Cricket works as a Canadian would trying to explain why Hockey is interesting .

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    What a surprise, someone from Ibis actually saying something , I sent a couple of emails some time back thinking that I would get a reply, how silly of me...yeah, I know it is absolutely imposs, to get back to us fans & customers ( ! ) but as this bike is gaining more fame as the years go by, maybe there is a need to get some replies out Hans ?
    I write to also confirm that the rubberized ''effect' has been around for some time and that if Ibis has been pushing this concept , then I am sure it will become a reality not too long.
    That condom like effect might just be the only way for now to protect your SL... apart from not actually riding it... Finally, my local dealer for the whole of Spain has said that the SL with this new paint job effect is on order but as we all know, a great demand is usally hard to meet at such an early stage , perhaps a marketing ploy or simply that Ibis can't turn out as many bikes as they would like... Waiting was never so much fun, I'm still building up mines in my head... Sure hope it comes before that ''SUPER FL'' goes into production !

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by richmck
    What a surprise, someone from Ibis actually saying something , I sent a couple of emails some time back thinking that I would get a reply, how silly of me...yeah, I know it is absolutely imposs, to get back to us fans & customers ( ! ) but as this bike is gaining more fame as the years go by, maybe there is a need to get some replies out Hans ?
    !
    You will find many posts from Hans and the others at Ibis here in this forum. Their high quality customer service extends into the virtual world as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    yeah I agree with zzsean. I've also emailed Ibis direct 3 times and had replies in under 2 hours from Scot on all occasions. Can't say enough about the Ibis customer service. Just waiting for my Mojo frame to come!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast