Thread: RPL vs. RP23

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

RPL vs. RP23

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a Mojo SL. I need to decide on a shock. I've ruled out the DHX. Your thoughts?

Happy when not-last.
    ProPedal just isn't necessary. I'd say get the RPL so you can pretend you have a Tranny every once in a while
    All your base are belong to ME.

Antagonist
    RPL worked for me too. Every once in awhile you hit those stretches of hard flat stuff where that lockout comes in handy.

Who needs three levels of propedal anyways.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Bought my Mojo SL with a 2010 RP23. I initially missed the lockout of the RPL (Previously rode a Stumpy with an RPL). I even bought an RPL for the Mojo which I have yet to install.

The more I ride the Mojo with the RP23, the less I miss the lockout. There really is very little shock compression in the RP23 during seated climbing (especially with Propedal engaged) Pedal bob does show up for me while standing and cranking on climbs however. I run the shock open most of the time these days even on steep climbs.

mtbr member
    I have the RPL and I leave on the pro pedal setting almost all the time. When I race at Sea Otter the lock out was GREAT! If you want a lock out get the RPL, if U do not care about that go with the 23
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    I have an RPL on an SL, and have to say, it's great. I must say, I always have it full open, and when I'm riding on long, non technical/smooth hills, I lock out the rear, Stand, and start pumping. The lock out option is fantastic. ZERO bob when standing, then, when the trail gets a bit bumpy/technical, it goes back to full open. I did try the ProPedal on a few climbs, then, did the climbs again having it full open, and, to be honest, I couldn't tell the difference.

I'm happy w/ my choice, and couldn't imagine, not having the lock out option when riding, especially, standing on smooth, steep hills, or riding streets or paved roads, which I have to do at times, to get to the trails!

mtbr member
    +1 RPL...for sure.

Clyde
    If you go with a RPL and don't like it I know I'm not the only one that be happy to trade. I love the RP23 but I think it would be nice to have lock out option if the circumstances warrant it.
    09 Ibis Mojo - All Mountain Moab Edition

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I hate to be the differing opinion, but...

I own both the 09 rpl and the 09 low tune rp23.
    If you race xc, everybody is right, go with the rpl.
    But if you are like KevinK above, and you run almost
    all the time full open get the rp23. I never hear anybody
    else on the ibis board say this, but full open on the rpl
    and full open on the rp23 feel totally different. The low tune
    rp23 is way more plush when open then the rpl is. The only
    problem is that (again, specifically for the low tune) the pro
    peddle on the rp23 is... I think when I called Ibis, hans described
    it as "subtle". I could initially barely feel a difference with the
    pro peddle on vs. off even on setting 3. You really have to pay
    attention to even be able to tell if it's on. I was coming from
    a bike with the high tune where setting 3 was almost a full lock out.

It's possible that I have a defective rpl or rp23, but I literally tired them
    back to back and there is no comparison in the open position. The rp23
    is way more plush.

AND as a bonus...

You can get PUSH to tune your rp23 some day. They don't tune the rpl.
    That's what I eventually did. (but now I feel like an advertisement for PUSH,
    I rarely post and now my last 2 have been about them...)

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclemark
    I'm ready to pull the trigger on a Mojo SL. I need to decide on a shock. I've ruled out the DHX. Your thoughts?
    If you do a fair amount of climbing, and you like to aggressively attack the hills (going up), then you'll be very pleased with the RPL.

-D

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    How does the RPL compare with the DT Swiss shock?

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalamath
    I can't comment on the ride, as I've only ridden the RPL and 23 on the Mojo. I can tell that from a design standpoint, a key feature for me was having the Propedal setting on the RPL. I REALLY like having a setting with a strong PP, but not locked out.

This is key for those steep, but rutted/rooty/rocky climbs where you want the suspension to sit higher in its travel, resist pedaling input, and not be locked out (for traction).

I also like the PP setting for those middle ring climbs where you are cranking pretty hard, but the ground still has some bumps that would not feel too good, if the rear end were locked.

-D

KevinK
    Jul 2005

Good Question!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kalamath
    Does anyone have a new DT Shock? I know it has two settings, Full open, and Locked out. IT also comes w/ the option to have a remote lock out on your handle bars.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinK
    Does anyone have a new DT Shock? I know it has two settings, Full open, and Locked out. IT also comes w/ the option to have a remote lock out on your handle bars.
    The 2011 Fox RPL now has the option of mounting the Fox lever to lock it out.

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    @ shiny

The new 2011 shock is the Float RL. Looks like they don't offer the RPL anymore, or the RL is it's replacement. Really cool they offer a remote for this shock.

http://www.foxracingshox.com/bike/11/shocks/FLOAT/RL

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by shiny
    The 2011 Fox RPL now has the option of mounting the Fox lever to lock it out.
    Are you sure that they are offering the RPL for 2011? I don't see it on their site.

They mention that the RL is compatible with lever actuated lock out, but it only has two positions: propedal and lockout. Missing is the "full open", which is too bad. I'm guessing that they will offer it with a very light propedal, along with lockout; In my mind, that would be a downgrade from the current 3 (distinct) position RPL.

The location of the shock on the Mojo makes actuating the lever pretty convenient, even without a remote lever.

-D

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have tried three Fox shocks on the mojo.

08 RP23 (medium tune)
    09 RP23 (low tune)
    10 RPL

The 08 RP23 being a medium tune had a much more noticeable difference between the propedal and open positions, the propedal did feel very efficient for the climbing, and/or smooth or paved roads, however, the fully open position did not feel anywhere near as plush as the 09 RP23, now don't get me wrong, back in 2008 when I started riding the mojo with it, it felt great and I loved it, but that was until I tried the 09 RP23 with low tune.

The 09 RP23 low tune is definitely the plushest of the three and it makes the Mojo become alive and feel absolutely bottomless, it just soaks up everything with ease, however, it does show a little bit of mid stroke wallow and makes the bike bob a little when standing up for a steep climb or a quick burst of acceleration. The propedal on this shock is another story though (even on level 3), the difference with 'fully open' is so minimal that it might as well be just a float R with a fake lever.

The RPL seems to be a good compromise between the other two, on fully open it feels almost as plush as the low tune RP23 but with less mid stroke wallow, then the propedal offers a nice firmer feel for steep climbing while the suspension remains active and supple, and of course it's nice to have a full lock out if you ever happen to need it for the inevitable road sections between trails or extremely steep climbs, etc.

Another thing you may want to consider is that the new RP23's have the BoostValve which some have found undesirable on the Mojo, the RPL does not have it. To be honest I've only tried the BV RP23 very briefly on a mojo I sold to a customer and I did not feel any difference from the 09 RP23 without BV, but then again the bike was not precisely setup for my weight and I only tried it very briefly and did not hit anything too technical on it.

To summarize:
    If you want the plushest option, go RP23
    If you want a firmer ProPedal position and would find the lock out useful ocassionally, then the RPL would be the better choice.

Hope this helps and don't worry too much, the mojo is such an awesome machine that you'll love it no matter which shock you get.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinK
    @ shiny

The new 2011 shock is the Float RL. Looks like they don't offer the RPL anymore, or the RL is it's replacement. Really cool they offer a remote for this shock.

http://www.foxracingshox.com/bike/11/shocks/FLOAT/RL
    Oops, yes the RL has the lever, not the RPL. As mentioned the shock is fairly easy to reach on the Mojo whilst riding but the option of having the lever is quite nice.

gcc
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Does RPL come in different compression damping like RP23?

ajm
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I have now riden the following shocks on the Mojo - 2010 RP23, 2010 RPL, 2010 DHX Air. I have found them all to ride a bit differently. Overall, my least favorite has been the RP23. I found it to be somewhat more "subtle" between ProPedal On and Off than the RPL. My biggest issue with the RP23 though was mid stroke wallow when hammering hard or riding in bermy, dippy, pumpable terrain. I am a 195 lb. rider and feel like I need to add lots of compression (air) to get decent sag, but still have wallow and bottom out issues with the RP23. I wonder if this issue is unique to larger riders?? As for the RPL, I think it might be my shock of choice for XC racing. It feels plush when open, firm with ProPedal on, and downright stiff when locked out! That said, although the RPL does not seem to wallow mid-stroke like the RP23, it does bottom easily on bigger hits and compressions. It also seems to kick back a bit on larger hits at slower speeds even with the rebound set pretty slow (lots of damping). Lastly, I love the DHX Air on the Mojo. I think it offers the best all around performance for larger riders based on it's adjustability. It does not bottom out on big hits, has never heard the word "wallow" and seems to handle the big compressions at low speed better than both the RP23 and RPL. Of course, you pay for this with the extra half pound of shock. Any other larger Mojo riders have similar experiences with any of these shocks? I am building up an SL and trying to deicde what shock to run. I am thinking maybe RPL for xc riding/racing, DHX Air for more aggressive trail riding.