mtbr member
    Apr 2010

RP23 vs. DHXAir for HD???

Having a very difficult time deciding which shock to go with. Looking for any insights or speculations, pros/cons of each. I've read most of the info around, although haven't seen too many specing the DHX on their regular Mojos.

Me: 195 lbs withought gear, getting back into biking (bike budgets went to fund surf trips over last many years) with a more cross country race/trials oriented background(really good with the technical descents just not with dropping) but will progress more into the freeride side of things and Whistler/Sea to Sky areas. In reality for now a Mojo would suit me fine or the RP23 on the HD but as mentioned want to progress my riding into more freeriderish terrain. Some lift access and shuttling, maybe 10-15% of my riding but will really prefer to earn my descents.

Just how much can the RP23 handle? Sure I can always go with the RP for now and sell it later to get a DHX if I feel the need, but would rather just get the one now and stick with it. Weight difference, ~200g?

I realize any information now is just speculation but appreciate more insights. Thanks.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Debated on that myself. As of now I am going with the RP23. I demoed both on Mojos and they both felt good. On the HD it will be a high volume RP23 with a 2.5 stroke. I have a hard time thinking I will need more, so why carry an extra half pound?

On the other hand if you hitting lots of large drops, then It may pay to go with the DHX Air.

www.derbyrims.com
    The DHX Air brings more platform and boost valve tuning range, and a bottom travel range adjustment. The DHX-A has about the same air volume of the RP23 with XV (large) can. And the DHX air volume can be reduced incrementally to nearly as small in volume as the RP23 small can.

For someone who is very sensitive to fine tuning damping and spring rate, then the DHX-Air would be more satisfying to fine tune for a wide variety of easier to very difficult ride conditions.

More adjusters can bring more mis-adjustments and awkward handling. There is a learning curve which really takes years of methodical experimenting over various ride conditions to de-mystify the balancing of the interdependent adjustments.

The RP23 is just as robust and durable as the DHX Air.

mtbr member
    I agree with Derby .. I have a DHX-air that I got on my Prophet MX ... I put it on the Mojo ... I find that thing so hard to setup... to many dials and places to put air it..... Eventually I gave up and now have a RP23 on the mojo and Prophet ..... I think i just need someone to explain to me how the DHX air works and what each thing does and how to set it up for a mojo.....

SO untill then I don't have the time to try and figure that thing out...

T.W.O.
    +1 on Derby's take. I had both DHX air and RP23 on my Mojo. Definitely, love the way DHX-A feel but similar feel can be achieved when I sent my RP23 to Pushed. It took about 2-3 weeks of constant tweak to get the DHX to the ball park I like, then a few more weeks to fine tune it, so many dials and air combo on the 2 air chambers.

I have the first gen, I think the second gen is better because of the flip lever. But getting the tuning combo still takes time. I've never use the pro-pedal on mine, too difficult to dial.

holding back the darkness
    For less than the cost of the DHX air "upgrade" you dan get the RP23 and send it to PUSH.
    Unless you're a tuner freak and you have to be able to fiddle with every damn thing. RP23 + PUSH will give you set-it-and-forget brilliance.
    Th RP23 is a solid little shock and works really well, and when set up correctly can compete with a DHX. The DHX, when set-up correctly, will trigger a series of biblical prophecies and ultimately the end of the world.
    [IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks guys,

I was leaning towards the RP23, mainly for simplicity and lightness, and now that I learn that it is pretty much same air volume as the DHX, another plus. My shop just had me thinking about it because they won't even spec their Nomads with the stock Monarchs and are bringing them all in with DHX Airs, maybe because they have more confidence in the DHX>Monarch.