No Tail-Just a Nub

rp23 travel/can size

Even with excessive sag for my weight (145lbs) I don't get even close to getting full travel out of my rp23, anyone else having similar issues?

I've had some others recommend a larger volume air sleeve for more/morel linear travel...is this the solution?

flow where ever you go
    Yes, If you search the Ibis boards you will find a few people have gone this route with good success. You can purchase a Fox High Volume Air Sleeve at Push Industries: http://www.pushindustries.com/produc...20Air%20Sleeve
    And yes, I have seen riding weights of 165 lbs. (or so) and less going this route.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

flow where ever you go

no more large can for me

For the record:

I'm throwing out the large volume air can for the RP23.
    The Mojo rode beautifully with the stock shock. I upgraded to the larger can to get more travel (as it was discussed here as a way to do that). However, I didn't realize that the RP23 is bottomed-out when there is still about 5mm of shaft (shock body) showing.

As _DW warns (in another thread), the shock does bottom out too easily with the big can. I don't get a bottom out sound or feeling, but can see that I am utilizing full travel (even on moderate rides).

I weigh 150-155lbs.

No Tail-Just a Nub

say more!

so what did you do about the bottoming out with the larger sleeve? did you work on the pressure settings? My understanding is that with the larger volume of air you may need to increase pressure. Did you send the shock to Push, LBS, or DIY?

I am still tempted, but the input is really helpful...thanks...
    (insert favorite Ed Abbey quote here)

No Tail-Just a Nub

still not close to full range

By the way, I knew that the "bottom" was not to the end of the shock's shaft on the RP23, and I am still not getting close to full travel from mine...
    (insert favorite Ed Abbey quote here)

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I weigh about the same as you and I just got 45 mm (measured at the shock) of travel on my last ride. I had the pressure around 135-140 psi.

Are you running any Propedal? If its "on", it may be stiffening the shock and limiting your travel.

flow where ever you go

a little more on the RP23 big can

Quote Originally Posted by sangmatt
    so what did you do about the bottoming out with the larger sleeve? did you work on the pressure settings? My understanding is that with the larger volume of air you may need to increase pressure. Did you send the shock to Push, LBS, or DIY?

I am still tempted, but the input is really helpful...thanks...
    I stuck with 11-14mm sag and around 90% body weight on the big can. It definately uses all travel, but I think too easily. When I had the normal can on, I did not understand where full travel was. I don't want "full travel" exactly as there should be a bit in reserve for the big stuff. Like I say, for me, it already rode well without the big can and with the big can it is good but too easy to bottom. Plus, there has been "official opinions" posted against the use of the big can:

For "official opinions":

see Hans: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...81084#poststop

see _DW: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...39162#poststop

One of the guys at Push Industries is riding a Mojo now. You might call them for opinions on travel issues as well.