mtbr member

RP23 Rebbound issue

Ok I just want to check it this is normal..
    Today on a ride I decied to play with the rebound settings on the PR23...

I found that when I increased the rebound the shock would become more harse ... almost as if I was increasing the propedal. I flipped the PP lever a few times to make sure that it was not so..
    On full rebound setting "the most rebound" I could not even push the shock down....

O have been riding with this for the last few months "rebound 2 click past the middle to slow"

And always felt the bike harsh, everyone kept on going about ow wonderful the suspension is but I could not feel it... so after I discovered this I adjusted the rebound to full fast then used just enought o stop me from bucking big time... "i find the rebound is still to fast in the current setting.. but an more and I start to struggle to get any travel out of it.

But the bike is so much better now...

Is this just a dud shock? or do yous do the same?

thanks

holding back the darkness
    Hmm.. not sure. When you say you increase the rebound I'm assuming you are dialing the red dial clockwise, which will make the shock "slower" to rebound. This could make the shock feel harsh if it is "packing up" on successive, high frequency hits.
    Typically shocks are set to rebound as fast as they can without "bucking big time" as you say, so a good way to experiment would be to find a section of bumpy trail. Start with the shock in the full counter-clockwise position (fastest rebound) and ride the trail adjusting 1 click clockwise until it feels right. With the rp23 you might have to do this in each of the 3 settings to find your happy medium.
    But I'm no expert. You might look up PUSH Industries for an expert opinion. A Factory Tune can set it up however you want and offers a more customized feel than Fox produces stock.
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I would also remove the air canister and clean and regrease the seal and wiper. the bike worked much better after I did this to my mojo.

mtbr member
    thanks MTBMitch Ill give that a try...
    subliminalshiver... i understand that the shock will pack up with lots of rebound "slow return" but when I turn the rebound adjuster all the way to the most rebound "very very slow return" I cant even compress it when staning next to the bike.. it is as if it goes into a lockout mode.

I think i might just send the shock to the local fox guys and let them have a look at it. pushed is not a option as I live in south africa. I have a spare Rp23 from a motolight I can put on while I wait for the shock. so I'll still be able to ride.
    Maybe il put the HV can on since i need o take the shock off anyways...

Thanks