mtbr member

RP23 High Volume Air Sleeve

I was wondering if the Mojo would benefit by using the RP23 high volume air sleeve that is currently used on the Blur LT (and I知 sure other frames that I知 not aware of). Has anyone ever tested this setup? Perhaps the ramp rate of the RP23 with the high volume sleeve would not work well on the DW link with the given compression ratio.

www.derbyrims.com
    Ride it first with the stock sleave. If you have problems getting into the deepest end of travel the larger volume sleeve would make the shock ramp up later in travel and gain more deep travel.

Missing deep travel was a problem for me using the RP23, but was not a problem with the larger volume the DHX Air. But lighter weight riders using less air pressure than my 200+ Lbs weight or more aggressive jumpers than me may need the earlier progresion rampup of the stock RP23 air sleave.

mtbr member

Installed RP23 High Volume Air Sleeve

I recently installed the high volume air sleeve on my Mojo. For my style of riding it seems to be working very well. I don't do any big drops and I weigh about 155 lbs. The bike feels to be more plush and I'm utilizing more travel.

mtbr member
    Is the high volume sleeve available at most bike shops or did you order that directly from Fox? Did you do the installation yourself and was it difficult?

Thanks,
    Charlie

Grams Light Bikes
    I didn't even know about this, but its sounds interesting. I am always running a large amount of sag so that I can get all the travel possible.

You can check out the fox video's for installation instructions. Push sells the kit:

http://www.pushindustries.com/produc...tle=Components

Was that a Bobcat?
    Is the high volume sleeve and the stock sleeve have a great noticeable difference? Would you recommend this upgrade to others?

mtbr member

High Volume Sleeve

I was told that you might be able to purchase the sleeve directly from Fox. Installing the sleeve wasn't all that fun. It very easy to remove the old sleeve but installing the new sleeve is a little tricky since you need to compress the shock as you screw the sleeve onto the threads.

mtbr member

High Volume Sleeve Pic

Fox High Volume compr.JPG
    Here's a picture in case you're interested.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FR Wannabe
    I recently installed the high volume air sleeve on my Mojo. For my style of riding it seems to be working very well. I don't do any big drops and I weigh about 155 lbs. The bike feels to be more plush and I'm utilizing more travel.
    Do you need the "3/8" bolt extractor" to remove the reducers and the "breaker bar" to pull off t the air sleeve?

mtbr member

Replacing air sleeve

Didn't use any special tools to replace the sleeve. I was able to carefully tapout the bushing axle using a hammer and deep socket to support the eyelet. A bolt extractor may have been more ideal but I didn't have one.

Trail Rider
    I was told that you might be able to purchase the sleeve directly from Fox. Installing the sleeve wasn't all that fun. It very easy to remove the old sleeve but installing the new sleeve is a little tricky since you need to compress the shock as you screw the sleeve onto the threads.
    Did you notice any improvement or gain in stroke? Why did you try the high volume sleeve?
    [size=4]Don[/size]

mtbr member
    The available stroke does not change with the high volume sleeve. It does however as previously discussed make the shock ramp up later in the stroke. So in effect it allows you more easily utilize more of the available stroke. The drawback of the larger sleeve is that the shock becomes easier to bottom-out. It all depends on your weight and style of riding. Personally for me it works well but I知 sure not all riders will agree.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The drawback of the larger sleeve is that the shock becomes easier to bottom-out. It all depends on your weight and style of riding. Personally for me it works well but I’m sure not all riders will agree.
    I've got one of those. It came off a SC Blur LT and is currently on my Prophet. The shock in stock form was too linear for the Prohet and bottomed out too easily. Adding more pressure just made the ride to harsh on the initial travel. I was able to tune the shock by adding fork oil into the air chamber. This reduced the air volume and made it more progressive. You need to experiment with the amount of oil to change the progressiveness of the shock.

My shock in the "tune" form is fantastic. The bike is plush, uses more travel and ramps up nicely at the end of travel.

I've done similar tuning on my 3-way 5th Element coil. Use more travel with a nice ramp up at the end of travel.

Trail Rider

Thanks!

The available stroke does not change with the high volume sleeve. It does however as previously discussed make the shock ramp up later in the stroke. So in effect it allows you more easily utilize more of the available stroke. The drawback of the larger sleeve is that the shock becomes easier to bottom-out. It all depends on your weight and style of riding. Personally for me it works well but I知 sure not all riders will agree.
    I have an adjustable sleeve on my Tracer and I was able to get almost all the stroke out of my shock. Before, I was slightly shorter. I guess for lighter riders, they are able to get full stroke(travel), Maybe the DHX air might be the best bet for heavier riders. I did the propedal lever and adjustment on the stock shock(Ibis).
    [size=4]Don[/size]

mtbr member

Negative vs Main Air Chamber

Quote Originally Posted by racerzero
    I was able to tune the shock by adding fork oil into the air chamber. This reduced the air volume and made it more progressive. You need to experiment with the amount of oil to change the progressiveness of the shock.

My shock in the "tune" form is fantastic. The bike is plush, uses more travel and ramps up nicely at the end of travel.
    Not to question your findings, but I just came off the phone with a tech at PUSH and they told me that adding oil to the shock will not influence the volume of the main air chamber. What happens is that the oil makes its way into the negative chamber of the shock through the transfer port (gets through once you start riding) and then it stays there.
    Maybe additional oil in the negative chamber helps, but it looks like you are reducing the volume of that chamber not of the main air chamber.

I am not sure what a smaller volume of the negative chamber equals to in a Fox float system, it will alter the balance of the two chambers as they are not independent ... you seem to like it. The tech at PUSH said that the shock action would be compromised ...
    Last edited by Davide; 03-29-2007 at 08:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide
    Not to question your findings, but I just came off the phone with a tech at PUSH and they told me that adding oil to the shock will not influence the volume of the main air chamber. What happens is that the oil makes its way into the negative chamber of the shock through the transfer port (gets through once you start riding) and then it stays there.
    Maybe additional oil in the negative chamber helps, but it looks like you are reducing the volume of that chamber not of the main air chamber.

I am not sure what a smaller volume of the negative chamber equals to in a Fox float system, it will alter the balance of the two chambers as they are not independent ... you seem to like it. The tech at PUSH said that the shock action would be compromised ...
    Interesting. I'll have to check the next time I pull the shock apart. If what you say is true I'll use a non liquid filler. I love the way the bike rides now so I'll leave it alone.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    To put the new sleeve on, mount it in the frame and use the travel to compress it a bit to screw on the new sleeve.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

New question here. RP23 or DHX Air

Quote Originally Posted by derby
    Ride it first with the stock sleave. If you have problems getting into the deepest end of travel the larger volume sleeve would make the shock ramp up later in travel and gain more deep travel.

Missing deep travel was a problem for me using the RP23, but was not a problem with the larger volume the DHX Air. But lighter weight riders using less air pressure than my 200+ Lbs weight or more aggressive jumpers than me may need the earlier progresion rampup of the stock RP23 air sleave.
    Although I haven't got my new Mojo yet, I am wondering if I should specify it with a DHX Air in lieu of the standard RP23? Or perhaps it might be a better option to simply get the high volume air sleeve first up?
    I'm about 160lbs & currently ride an 06 Giant Reign. I like my ride to be pretty plush, so my rear shock (3-way Swinger) runs minimum SPV and relatively low pressure in the main chamber. Unfortunately I'm not able to demo a Mojo where I live in Oz, and I'd rather see if I can get the right shock before I leave the shop (in possibly 4-6 weeks when it arrives).
    So how plush is the standard Rp23 on a Mojo? Can anyone comment based on the Reign? I like the idea that it's significantly lighter than the DHX Air, but I am not sure whether I would ride the RP23 with pro-pedal off normally, or perhaps just on the lowest setting.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jacko69
    Although I haven't got my new Mojo yet, I am wondering if I should specify it with a DHX Air in lieu of the standard RP23? Or perhaps it might be a better option to simply get the high volume air sleeve first up?
    I'm about 160lbs & currently ride an 06 Giant Reign. I like my ride to be pretty plush, so my rear shock (3-way Swinger) runs minimum SPV and relatively low pressure in the main chamber. Unfortunately I'm not able to demo a Mojo where I live in Oz, and I'd rather see if I can get the right shock before I leave the shop (in possibly 4-6 weeks when it arrives).
    So how plush is the standard Rp23 on a Mojo? Can anyone comment based on the Reign? I like the idea that it's significantly lighter than the DHX Air, but I am not sure whether I would ride the RP23 with pro-pedal off normally, or perhaps just on the lowest setting.

Thanks
    I have not tried the DHX, but I installed the high volume air sleeve after about 3 weeks with the standard. It made for a significant change. The suspension is more plush, but pedaling efficiency is not effected, I increased air pressure to about 140 (from 135, I am 150 pounds to 165 dressed + zainetto), but I still get full travel. I could not be happier with the rear and I am not much inclined to go for a PUSH mod at this point ... the PUSH mod might really only benefit high speed (stutter bumps or close to stutter) and I am not sure is worth the extra-$

It seems that the RP23 with a high volume is a very good option for the Mojo: the plushness of a DHX (?) plus the option of using the platform with a simple lever flick, plus lighter weight

Below is my Rp23 with the high volume sleeve, some carbon fiber vinyl instead of the Fox decals: it looks less red then in the photo ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Davide; 04-08-2007 at 11:05 AM.

flow where ever you go
    For the record:

I'm throwing out the large volume air can for the RP23.
    The Mojo rode beautifully with the stock shock. I upgraded to the larger can to get more travel (as it was discussed here as a way to do that). However, I didn't realize that the RP23 is bottomed-out when there is still about 5mm of shaft (shock body) showing.

As _DW warns (in another thread), the shock does bottom out too easily with the big can. I don't get a bottom out sound or feeling, but can see that I am utilizing full travel (even on moderate rides).

I weigh 150-155lbs.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

holding back the darkness
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide
    I could not be happier with the rear and I am not much inclined to go for a PUSH mod at this point ... the PUSH mod might really only benefit high speed (stutter bumps or close to stutter) and I am not sure is worth the extra-$
    I have a PUSH factory tune on my RP23 and I love it. It feels less restricted, more sensitive, and I feel like I'm using all the travel it has to offer, and the effectiveness/efficiency of the suspension is uncompromised. Last time I was in there Darren had alluded to doing "something special" for the mojo, referring in particular to its sweet sweet DW-link action. I think mine was the first mojo he mapped, and as such no such tune was available at that time.
    Personally, I think it's worth it. This is the second bike I've had PUSH tuned shocks on and I have not been disappointed. I think one will find little dispute in this area, as the masses of satisfied customers will confirm. These guys are pros. It's a good thing they're on our side, who could save us if they turned their powers to evil?
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Does the Mojo or DW link need a platform ? ir will it climb well enough while seated and not bob ? if that is the case i think a old float Ava would work? if you have the right size

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Large can comments

Hans from Ibis calling...
    I thought I'd chime in on this discussion.
    The large air volume can make it too easy to bottom out for the average rider. Most people can get close to full travel with the stock RP 23 air volume. As noted the shaft travel is about 2" or 51 mm and the reference O ring stops well short of the end of the shock at full travel, so don't be put off by that...
    Hans

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have a fox rp2. I am thinking of getting it push'd and having the big hit kit installed. This places a urethane bumper inside the shock so when it bottoms out it doesnt hit metal. When this is installed it will take up space in the shock giving it a harder ramp up. Im thinking that installing this canister will counterbalance that by adding volume and will thus get the shock back to a stock feeling ramp up. Because if the shock ramps up too hard the pressure will increase over a certain amount and the blow-off will be engaged( this happened to a triad of mine). I really like the ramp up because i am 220 lbs and a pretty aggressive rider. Do you think that having the bumper in there will increase the pressure so much that it will blow off? What do you guys think of my theory on installing the high volume canister?