insert sarcasm here

Routing dropper housing under HD downtube protector-anybody done it?

I've seen the threads on how to drill the downtube bottle cage to run a stealth dropper, but mine is a CommandPost Blacklite, so no stealth option for me. Along with the the rest of the world, I am in the process of switching my HD to a 1x10, so the toptube cable routing has to go. I'd like to run the dropper housing underneather the downtube, then up the backside of the seat tube. I'm pretty sure I've seen someone on here mention that they were able to run dropper housing under the downtube guard, but I can't seem to find the thread. Looking at the downtube protector, I have a hard time seeing how to fit a third housing in there, given that the protector is flush against the frame, except for molds to fit the two existing housing runs.

Can anybody that has done this chime in? Opinions welcome.
    I'm always looking for new people to ride with. If you are on the Front Range, shoot me a PM and let's go ridin'.

mtbr member
    I run my Lev through the downtube protector, then up through the gap in the front mech mount and up the side/back of the seat tube. Looks great IMHO and works great. The protector isn't totally flush on the side with the 2 cables, but close enough. On a black frame you can't see a gap unless you're looking for it.

That said, that routing probably won't work for a command post since unlike a LEV the CP need to have a loop of cable so the seat can move up and down.

insert sarcasm here
    Thanks man for chiming in. Sounds like the cable routing I went with is exactly as you described, including the fact that the protector isnt totally flush, and my HD is black as well! I'll think it looks darn clean for an externally routed dropper. I'll post pictures of my setup once I wash the winter mud off my bike.
    I'm always looking for new people to ride with. If you are on the Front Range, shoot me a PM and let's go ridin'.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Here is the thread you where looking for earlier - Stealth Reverb Routing WITH water bottle cage

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Since Ibis is so amazing and nice about listening to their customers, maybe they can stamp out a few downtube protectors with a wider channel on the right side for those who want to run the dropper like we already are...under the downtube.

insert sarcasm here

Re: Routing dropper housing under HD downtube protector-anybody done it?

Quote Originally Posted by cmarshack View Post
    Since Ibis is so amazing and nice about listening to their customers, maybe they can stamp out a few downtube protectors with a wider channel on the right side for those who want to run the dropper like we already are...under the downtube.
    I'd buy one in an instant, but I doubt Ibis would offer that given the limited demand. Psst Ibis, I'm egging you on, prove me wrong!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gbug View Post
    I'd buy one in an instant, but I doubt Ibis would offer that given the limited demand. Psst Ibis, I'm egging you on, prove me wrong!
    +1. I still don't quite see how an additional cable can fit in there without a gap just about as big as the housing. The more I think of it though, I might not mind even just keeping the dropper cable/housing exposed outside the plastic guard down the middle, using some sticky cable guides like this:

Routing dropper housing under HD downtube protector-anybody done it?-200.jpg

Lightly salted
    I think if you just trim the carbon top tube guides you can get a pretty clean look. Plus you keep the cable short and not have to run excessively long to go down the down tube then back up the seat tube. Here's a pic of my routing.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    I think if you just trim the carbon top tube guides you can get a pretty clean look. Plus you keep the cable short and not have to run excessively long to go down the down tube then back up the seat tube. Here's a pic of my routing.

good idea on trimming the other half of those carbon clips, as I didn't think about that. However, I think people are trying to clear up that top tube altogether, but your point about the long cable does remind me of another question. Will a longer cable run for the KS Lev make it noticeably harder to push the lever to activate the post compared to a much shorter run over the top tube.

Lightly salted
    I think as long as you don't have any sharp bends in the housing it would be fine. Just posted this as another routing option.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Or you van use rock shox reverb and directmount hole

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenaustin View Post
    Will a longer cable run for the KS Lev make it noticeably harder to push the lever to activate the post compared to a much shorter run over the top tube.
    The longer cable has made no difference in lever feel on mine (with KS Lev). I originally had the traditional top tube routing and moved to under the downtube protector.

As for the gap, it's pretty small and on a black frame with black cable housing, it's barely noticeable unless you're actively looking for it.