Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    97

    Roof mounted rack - Ripley?

    What does everyone use here for a roof mounted rack? I'm curious because I need a solution for transporting my Ripley. My car doesn't have a tow bar/hitch, so a roof rack is the best option. It seems that most fork mounted racks don't cater very well for the 15mm axle, unless the adaptor is used. And that doesn't look like it allows for locking. I'm interested in solutions

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    91
    get a 1up usa tray

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    158
    Kuat Trio supports 9mm qr and 15mm or 20mm thru axle

  4. #4
    Lightly salted
    Reputation: fuenstock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,211
    How about a rack like the Yakima sidearm? My friend has the side arm rack on his car roof and it works great, bonus points for not having to remove and install the front wheel. I load my ripley on his car no problems.


  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    97
    The side arm type racks look like a good solution. Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going to have to check them out.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: iClique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    599
    Get the Yakima High Roller... Great deal at REI at 20% off with coupon every few weeks.




  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    How about a rack like the Yakima sidearm? My friend has the side arm rack on his car roof and it works great, bonus points for not having to remove and install the front wheel. I load my ripley on his car no problems.

    Your picture is of the Thule Sidearm (not the Yakima), which is what I have. I use it to transport two Superfly FS on my Subie STi and love it. I did add a tire strap for the front tire to supplement the sidearm clamp. I got mine at REI during the 20% sale a couple months ago.
    2014 Trek Superfly FS 9; 2013 Trek Domane 4.5

  8. #8
    Lightly salted
    Reputation: fuenstock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,211
    Quote Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post
    Your picture is of the Thule Sidearm (not the Yakima), which is what I have. I use it to transport two Superfly FS on my Subie STi and love it. I did add a tire strap for the front tire to supplement the sidearm clamp. I got mine at REI during the 20% sale a couple months ago.
    Your correct. I needed my glasses...

  9. #9
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,517
    it should probably be noted that bigger 29er front tires take some english to fit on sidearm racks like the thule/yakima offerings. I have a 2.2 purgatory on a decently wide rim and it takes a bit to get the arm over it.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    it should probably be noted that bigger 29er front tires take some english to fit on sidearm racks like the thule/yakima offerings. I have a 2.2 purgatory on a decently wide rim and it takes a bit to get the arm over it.
    Sorry, I'm not sure how that's true, compared to smaller wheels. The effort needed to move the swing arm is what it is.

    I used my two Sidearms with a pair of old 26" Rockhoppers until recently, when I replaced them with a pair of 29er Trek Superfly FS. The swing arm didn't get any harder to operate on the 29ers. I just have to make sure the hook is positioned farther out on the arm for a larger wheel, as I swing it over the tire. If anything that provides more leverage to swing it around.

    I do agree it s a bit tight and needs some effort to swing it around to the top of the tire, but that's regardless of wheel size.
    2014 Trek Superfly FS 9; 2013 Trek Domane 4.5

  11. #11
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,517
    I'm sorry you don't believe me. With the hook positioned as far out as it can go, you still need to coax it over the whole purgatory on a thule t2 sidearm, and a yakima whateveritscalledthatisnearlythesame.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    I'm sorry you don't believe me. With the hook positioned as far out as it can go, you still need to coax it over the whole purgatory on a thule t2 sidearm, and a yakima whateveritscalledthatisnearlythesame.
    I'm just not understanding how it can be different.

    It's really not a matter of belief for me, but actual experience. I have two Thule Sidearms, and use them several times a week. I have both 26" and 29" bikes. There is zero difference in effort between them to swing the arm over and secure the front tire. The arm presents a bit of resistance, but effort required to pivot it around from the down position to up where you secure the tire is the same whether you have a 20, 26, 650b, 700, 29 or no bike at all.

    No matter, people can decide for themselves what makes sense.
    2014 Trek Superfly FS 9; 2013 Trek Domane 4.5

  13. #13
    Lightly salted
    Reputation: fuenstock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,211
    I agree with Racetripper on this. I've loaded my 26" hdr and my Ripley with 2.35 nobby nics with out any problems. Both my bikes pretty much take the same effort to mount. Redmr2, maybe your friend has an older version? My friend bought his new the beginning of this year.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    I agree with Racetripper on this. I've loaded my 26" hdr and my Ripley with 2.35 nobby nics with out any problems. Both my bikes pretty much take the same effort to mount. Redmr2, maybe your friend has an older version? My friend bought his new the beginning of this year.
    Good point. Maybe older models have shorter swing arms that don't work as well with 29ers. But the current Thule Sidearm works just fine. There is plenty of clearance to get the sidearm up and over a 29er front wheel.
    2014 Trek Superfly FS 9; 2013 Trek Domane 4.5

Similar Threads

  1. Hitch rack for use with roof rack attachments question
    By 1 Speed in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-19-2013, 01:53 PM
  2. Yakima roof rack whistles when mounted backwards
    By stock r in forum Car & Biker
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-09-2012, 05:39 PM
  3. Nothing fancy, Hitch rack convert into a Roof rack
    By patineto in forum Car & Biker
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-24-2012, 02:16 PM
  4. Rhino-Rack Discovery Roof Rack Bike Carrier
    By Doug_ID in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-18-2012, 07:54 AM
  5. Mounted bike directly to roof rack
    By soontobe29er in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-27-2011, 12:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •