mtbr member

rode a HD 650b, now i want my SL the same

Out on a ride today, some guy came screaming down the hill on a beautiful white HD ... I have had my eye on a HD for some time and then i saw it in real life I was sold.....
    what I had also noticed is that he had converted the bike to 650b , says it has totally changed the way it rides for the better...

So I was wondering , is this possible to do on my SL? with a Lefty PBR 140

I understand Ill have to shim the rear shock as well as my lefty...

So that means Ill go from a 140mm 26 to a ??? 650b ? (with shimming what will the new travel be?)

any one see any problems with this ...front tire should not be a problem with clearance, but in the rear?

does that mean Ill be looking at running 1.9 tires on the back until i get a HD ?

any advice would be welcomed

Thanks
    D

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Check the 650b forum, they say it can be done, but the length you have to go to make it work seems to depend on your size of frame, year, and model, what rims and tires you choose, and basically you have to be willing to be a test pilot.

There's a list of 650b-able bikes and supposedly just about any bike can be converted. I can't imagine my mojo being worth it, but it's an 06. If I bottom out my rear shock there's about a 16th of an inch between the seat tube (front derailleur braze on) and my 2.25 knobby nic. In fact sometimes the rear brake hose rubs on the tire if I go big or land flat...

I'm not sure if Ibis will jump on the 650b band wagon. I seriously doubt it in fact with the Ripley just coming out, but Scott is releasing a few bikes with 27.5 and 29 being the only options next year. This means there will be more choices in terms of parts and accessories. Cool stuff...

mtbr member
    did the guy let yo ride his 650b hd? i have been on 160 hd for almost a year and after trying hd converted to 650b i can say there is definitely something about it. i am in process of building 650b wheelset for my hd right now. i say go for it if it will make you happy
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

Dropshot Champ!
    you should only need to take out 10mm of travel for the lefty to accept 650b. That's how it is with the pbr 130 going down to 120 for 650b anyways.

From what derby has posted, a large volume, big 26 tire like a trail king 2.2, ardent 2.25, wolverine 2.2, etc is damn near the same as a 650b wheel with a neomoto 2.1 out back.

What's the a2c of the lefty on the sl? You might benefit from losing travel and going just 650b front.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Anybody tried 650b just on front?

Has anyone ridden a C, SL, or SL-R with a 650b in the front and 26" in the rear?

Really curious how it would handle.

Any idea what that would put the head tube angle at with a Fox Talas 32 - 150mm?

WOOPS... JUST FOUND DERBY'S THREAD.
    Last edited by BikeSkiParaglide; 08-09-2012 at 09:03 PM. Reason: found thread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    did the guy let yo ride his 650b hd? i have been on 160 hd for almost a year and after trying hd converted to 650b i can say there is definitely something about it. i am in process of building 650b wheelset for my hd right now. i say go for it if it will make you happy
    Yes he did ... felt soo good..... also coul dnot believe how cushy the HD is...plush plush plush

www.derbyrims.com
    I fit my 650b rear wheel having a semi worn 2.3 Neo-moto tire in a SL-R production demo bike this spring at Sea Otter. The SL-R clearance was too close to clear without tire rub from wheel flex. 2.0 would be the max size for year round, 2.1 maybe for dry rides.

Tire sizes vary a lot between manufacturers, the Pacenti 2.3 and 2.1Neo-moto Trail/AM and 2.0 Quasi-moto XC-race type tires appear to use the same relatively small casing size, it's the knob size that differs in tire height and width of these three very good 650b tires.

An SL or C swing arm clears the same 2.3 650b tire when new OK and with a well built wheel only rub the chain stay yoke area when muddy, not tire rub, causing unsightly wear to the chain stay yoke finish coating, although not visible without removing the wheel.

The HD140 clears the 2.3 Neo-moto 650b even better, really no more wear from muddy winters, rather minimal, than a 26 inch wheel with wider 2.4 tire could do.

The HD140 was sanctioned by Ibis last winter to use 650b wheels, needing no modifications, no travel limitation. This is not the case for any other Ibis Mojo frames, C, SL, or SL-R, or HD160. If converting a C or SL or HD160, be sure to check also for seat tube clearance at bottom travel with a 650b wheel, with your shock mounted and deflated or coil removed and sitting and bouncing on the seat, checking the tire clearance to the seat tube at bottom out. Sometimes bottom travel needs to be limited slightly using shims, easily made with a few thin split washers made with scissors from thin plastic such as milk or juice plastic bottle material.

BTW, my 2.3 x 650b trail use wheels have the same measured diameter/radius as much heavier 2.7 x 26 inch DH wheels.

mtbr member
    It's well worth it, front and rear!.... and well documented if you search both the Ibis and 650b forums for Mojo 650b. The modifications are super easy, and while the Mojo Classic / Mojo SL won't take the biggest burliest tires in the rear, and don't leave you with much sticky mud clearance around the Chainstay yoke, otherwise it's all gravy. The Neo Moto 2.1 is a damn fine tire that fits the rear quite well....paired with it's 2.3 sister up front, or a Nevagal 2.35, it will most definitely upgrade the techgnar shredability of your little carbon lover.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Can you describe the difference in handling between a stock SL-R and an SL-R with 650b front/26 rear... positives & negatives?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I think it's funny how we have threads about 26" tires that don't have much clearance and then others wanting 650b going on at the same time in the Ibis forum. I'm on the wouldn't want any less clearance than I already have with 26" camp (when I run a 2.4 Telonix in 160 mode I can just scuff the seat tube on a 2012 HD), and we all know Derby is Mr.650b (although he is doing it smartly and shimming shocks slightly to avoid tire rub).

I'm sure someday I'll own a 650b bike (probably just because manufacturers won't build a bike for my needs anymore with 26" wheels), but I want it to be designed with 650b in the 1st place. (ie. more tire clearance, full tire options, keeping a lower BB)...My DH/Freeride bike is a total frankenbike to make it ride as a long travel trail bike, I just haven't drank this koolaid cause it hasn't seemed compelling enough yet. Hell, maybe I'll go back to 24" tires, I never felt they slowed me down in the least on my first DH bike, and the low BB would be sweet.

screamer
    Have about 3 rides w/650b wheels (crests, neomoto 2.3f 2.1r) on my classic and so far so good. Zero learning curve coming off 26", and very intuitive transition. Nothing definitive to say yet, but have noticed a definite improvement on technical climbing: just carries momentum better as one would expect. So I'm not sure I agree with the "95% of benefit on front only" school of thought. Perhaps if your climbs were all fireroad, the maybe... But the really fun part is being able to throw the bike into corners with aggressive lean & countersteering. It really just clicks. And then of course carries a lot of speed OUT of the corner, so you can really jam out of the saddle without any signs of sluggishness. Again, I doubt you'd gain this benefit if running front 650b only. Incidentally, this great "pop" out of corners has always been one of my favorite traits of the mojo, so the 650b really seems to suit its personality well.

As for downsides, it seems a little less happy getting low down into corners and railing the way it does with 26", particularly when running 30% sag or more. Of course I've had a lot of pedal strikes riding this way -- which disappear with the 650b -- so this may or may not be a bad thing.

I'll have to do some more back-to-back experimentation before rendering a definitive opinion, since some of these impressions might be due to the neomotos (great tire, btw, compared to my usual nobby nic & Bronson 2.3's). But so far so good. I have about 1/4 clear front & rear, so I doubt this is going to like the sloppy wintertime conditions we get here. But I can't wait to try these in the south lake Tahoe chunk: I think it'll be a great setup for those conditions!
    Last edited by budgie; 08-11-2012 at 05:03 PM.
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    great feedback you guys, thanks