_____
    Jul 2007

RockShox Replaced my Maxle

A couple weeks ago I asked my LBS that built my Hope Pro II/ Stans Flow wheels about the broken Maxle problems I had been reading about on MTBR. They called RockShox. Rock Shox ended up replacing my tapered Maxle with a straight non-tapered Maxle for the cost of shipping. Rock Shox wanted the old axle back though. They said they want to get the tapered Maxles off the market (according to my LBS). I just wanted to share my experience. Hopefully other HD owners with tapered Maxles can get their axles replaced too.

mtbr member
    I have Hope Pro II hubs with the Maxle lite and have been wanting to replace it, except I can't find the non tapered Maxle replacement listed for sale anywhere, or mentioned on the Rockshox site. Sorry if I'm missing something obvious. Any tips?

_____
    Jul 2007
    I'd try calling Rock Shox directly or find a local bike store that sells Rock Shox products and have them call for you. I could not find non-tapered Maxles for sale either. I figured that the bike store where I had just spent a lot of money on custom Hope hubbed wheels should support their product and verify which axle I should use. Thankfully they called Rock Shox and got me the new Maxle.

I wonder if Ibis is shipping HDs with tapered Maxles or the new straight Maxles?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SiO2
    I'd try calling Rock Shox directly or find a local bike store that sells Rock Shox products and have them call for you. I could not find non-tapered Maxles for sale either. I figured that the bike store where I had just spent a lot of money on custom Hope hubbed wheels should support their product and verify which axle I should use. Thankfully they called Rock Shox and got me the new Maxle.

I wonder if Ibis is shipping HDs with tapered Maxles or the new straight Maxles?
    We and they (Rock Shox) started shipping straight ones a month or so ago. Our shipment showed up and they were the new design. It's probably harder to make as the cost went up as well. Drilling long holes is expensive.

The tapered ones are only a problem with Hope hubs, correct?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc
    Apparently not... reading a bit on the forums the problem is not only with Hope hubs.
    In my case, I have a brand new tapered Maxle lite which I have not used since I was worried about using it, but the local RockShox rep did not want to replace it, since formally RockShox did not make a recall on the old ones. I ended up ordering a brand new axle (~70$) to replace the one that came with my XT kit...
    Itay

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I've attached it before but here it is again - this is the formal document from SRAM where the replace the axles. As you can see, they really don't admit there is really a problem...
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I received my HD frame about 3 weeks ago. Sounds like I have the new design. Is there a way to tell by looking at it though so I can be sure? I'm gonna be building wheels on Hadley hubs so maybe it won't matter anyways. Just curious.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The old one has a thinner part in the middle as shown in this link http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=54645 (this is for the 142 length but the shape is the same) whereas the new one has a constant width (see in the following link: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=60309

Itay

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Nice. Mine is the new style.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Hans is there any chance Ibis can help HD owners whose bike shipped with the old tapered rear maxle? Even if Ibis could stock the updated Maxle in its online store that would help, as they aren't easy to come by ATM. I run Hope hubs and for peace of mind I'd really like to get the tapered rear maxle replaced.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalhippie13
    Hans is there any chance Ibis can help HD owners whose bike shipped with the old tapered rear maxle? Even if Ibis could stock the updated Maxle in its online store that would help, as they aren't easy to come by ATM. I run Hope hubs and for peace of mind I'd really like to get the tapered rear maxle replaced.

Good point, we'll put them up on the web store soon then.

H

bike rider
    So the new one is butted on the inside? There was an original Maxle that was non-butted, right? When they decided to make a lighter version they cheaped out by externally butting it and now regret it.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    So the new one is butted on the inside? There was an original Maxle that was non-butted, right? When they decided to make a lighter version they cheaped out by externally butting it and now regret it.
    We haven't seen or heard of failures of the Maxle with the externally butted (old style Maxles), the problem seems to be the way they interact with certain hubs that have been designed to rely on the support of a consistent diameter axle . When there is a relieved area on the axle some hubs can have problems due to fatigue. Most hubs are OK as far as we know.

The new one is drilled out all the way through and is probably more expensive to make. The cost has gone up quite a bit.

H

mtbr member
    Good point, we'll put them up on the web store soon then.

H
    thanks Hans, that would be great! appreciate it.

Doesnt ride Banshees
    Hans, yes, it appears to only be a problem with Hope. Other hub companies machine their sleeves to a stronger spec and can support the tapered maxle, but for some reason it's Rock Shox picking up the tab instead of Hope, which is the only company with problems so far?

Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    I have talked to a handful of hub companies, Hadley, Hope, WTB, Chris King, DT Swiss and we have Azonic for budget reasons on the demo bikes in the field. The ONLY hubs that are a problem are HOPES. Mr. Dean at HOPE said NO FREAKIN WAY will the hub hold up with a butted 'bolt', the earlier Maxle Lite with reduced center section proved it.

Every other hub company said they have full inner sleeves/axles that don't care if the 'bolt' is butted in the center or not. If anyone has a HOPE hub and a DHR, call us for an axle swap.

The thread pitch is 1.75 which is the most common for a 12mm bolt, i.e., Maxle, Saint, older DHR.

We will make a running change some day, but not for awhile. I see no need to change a part if one hub company is an issue AND we have a box of the older axles here that any Hope owner can swap for.

DT

bike rider
    Sure the axle only seems to have problems with Hopes, but external butting is never as good. It's easier to do but not as stiff or strong cuz you lose diameter. Just from a design standpoint I like that they're going internal. This is a part that's only used on expensive bikes so why use an inferior design to save a few bucks?
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    I don't think the externally tapered Maxle lite rear axle design was a good idea. Keep the rear axle light sure but it must be strong, stiff, supporting the hub/drive train. Can't see how an externally tapered rear axle does all that - I guess it saved a gram or two, or just cool factor? Anyways, good on Rockshox for changing the design.

The updated Maxle Lite isn't available in Australia though, so looks like a local replacement isn't possible. Hans do you think it will be long before Ibis can list it in the online store and have it in stock? CRC are saying they will have it in stock towards the end of January.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalhippie13
    The updated Maxle Lite isn't available in Australia though, so looks like a local replacement isn't possible. Hans do you think it will be long before Ibis can list it in the online store and have it in stock? CRC are saying they will have it in stock towards the end of January.

Should be on the web store in the next few days.

H

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Now in store

OK, sorry for the delay everybody, here's the new untapered, unbutted axle that works with the Hope Pro II.
    http://store.ibiscycles.com/Product137
    Scot

mtbr member
    thanks Scot, greatly appreciated. Have ordered one.

mtbr member
    Just a footnote that the updated Rear Maxle Lite arrived today. Thanks Ibis guys for making it available!

Apart from the design change, the other (minor) notable thing is that it's 10 grams heavier - 71 vs 61. I'd rather have the extra 10 grams and no hub probs.

In case anyone is looking for it like I was a while back but couldn't find it - here's the Rear Maxle Litel User Manual, attached, and larger version in my blog:
    http://digitalhippie.net/2011/01/18/...lite-135x12mm/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RockShox Replaced my Maxle-rockshox_maxle_lite_rear_2011_user_manual_1024.jpg  

mtbr member
    Would like to bring this Thread back from the dead. I couldn't get the front wheel to tighten on my 2012 Reba Gold TK, tried everything...even swapped wheels. That's when I turned to the internet and found this Thread...problem solved...THX MTBR!!!

Also, this should prolly be under the Suspension section...