mtbr member
    Oct 2011

RockShox Monarch Plus

I just upgraded my Fox RP-23 to a RockShox Monarch Plus with a M/L tune on my Mojo HD 140, and it is the best improvement I have ever done to a bike! That is what the bike was missing all along, and the DW-Link really came to life.

Now I just need to get rid of the awful '11 Fox Talas 150 I have up front. I have only run Fox forks, and the F-120 on my Trance is an awesome fork, so any suggestions for a Mojo HD? Don't need travel adjustment, just a smooth fork that is comparable to the rear shock. I'm thinking XFusion, Bos, or Marzocchi, any suggestions?

Patrick

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Converting your Talas to a Float is probably the cheapest and easiest option.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Marzocchi. Coil. The end.

Oh and now the X Fusion Vengence. Coil. The sequel

On a serious note I am loving the coil 55's. Ti RC3 I believe. Very awesome

- Oh and thats coming from Bos Devilles that are very good too. M plushness trumps Bos damping, just

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Are you running 140 or 160mm setup?
    And how do you like mixing coil and air or do you have a coil shock?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    160 at mo, stock Rp23 (2012 Kashima)

I don't love the Rp23 but now that I have the extra grip and control up front, I tolerate it while I decide what to get to compliment the big M up front.

mtbr member
    I rode a Monarch Plus on my HD and could not believe the difference either. Have one sitting on my work bench waiting to be installed. Unfortunately my broken elbow keeps me from wrenching right now.

Team Sanchez
    i second the Zoke 55 fork for the front. A couple of my buddies are running them, and I can't believe how plush they are compared to the Fox 36 Talas 180 I"m running on my HD 160. The only reason I can't part with the Fox, is because I love the drop from 180 to 140 for climbing and non techy descending. On the rear I'm running a Push'd Monarch Plus. I agree that it makes the DW Link really come to life. Climbs like a VPP, and descends like a Horst Link! Can't beat it.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

mtbr member
    I also just upgraded my rear shock to a Pushed monarch plus, and that was from a Pushed rp23. No question....the monarch plus has raised the "fun factor" on my HD 160 to a whole new level!

Up front I have a 36 float, which I had Push convert from a Talas. I never found the travel adjust useful, it always felt like I just applied the front brake everytime I dropped it on a climb. The Pushed float offers a well balanced, plush feel. The monarch plus is a great match for the plushness of the float.

I'm super stoked with my current HD set-up. The monarch plus is proving to be the ultimate icing on the cake, I can't imagine a better trail bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I had the 55 RC3 Ti which was great and I'm now running the Vengeance coil 170mm on my HD which I think is stiffer and plusher than the 55. I just got mine from bikeco.com which seems to be one of the few places that carries X-fusion or you can order directly from X-fusion.

The Vengeance coil seems to match up nicely with the very plush DB-Air shock.

Lightly salted
    When you say M/L monarch, are you talking about Medium rebound, light compresion? I recently switched to an HD from a carbon nomad and the rp23 seems like it can't keep up on fast long down grades. The rp23 had the same problem on the nomad. Im still fine tuning suspension, currently running just over 30% sag and 6 clicks rebound from closed on the rp23, not sure how my rebound setting compares to others?
    How is the monarch plus better than the rp23? Does it still pedal as good as the rp23? Is it not spikey like the rp23?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    How is the monarch plus better than the rp23? Does it still pedal as good as the rp23? Is it not spikey like the rp23?
    I noticed two things I didn't like about my rp23: (1) Setting the shock for 30% sag still required a lot of air pressure (225 lbs, which is about what I weigh) and resulted in a lack of plushness, especially noticeable on fast, chatter-bumped downhills, and (2) apparent heat build-up on long downhills only made it's characteristics worse.

Admittedly, I don't have a lot of time on the Monarch yet, but right away I feel a huge difference. Set at 30% sag, air pressure is 190 (small volume air can). It just seems to have a much more controlled feel throughout its stroke - soaks up stuff better without rattling my eyeballs loose. Climbing is fine even in the min compression setting, but in the mid compression setting it seems to feel nearly identical to the rp23, and I think most will agree one of the rp23's strength was in climbing. Also, the Monarch's compression settings allow three choices, each of which still allow full, normal operation of the shock at different settings - unlike the rp23's "platform" which has a pressure threshold to overcome first before the stroke begins.

I'm no suspension expert by any means, so I hope my my non-technical analysis helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I think need a Mojo HD shock FAQ since same things keep coming up over and over again.

Fyi you can run more than 30% sag, that is just a guide.

Post from Dave Weagle who designed the DW Link.

Once you get on the Mojo and start riding it, you are going to totally forget about that propedal lever. Seriously, unless you are riding on the road in the big ring in a full out of the saddle sprint, it's just not even something that most riders consider. The suspension is truly set it and forget it, Ronco style. heh

You can run the Mojo with as much sag as you are comfortable with, but you probably will find (like many dw-link riders have) that in dw-link world, there is no major detriment to running 30% or more sag. Running more sag is going to end up giving you more cornering and climbing traction especially on the rough stuff. If however, you want to run less sag, go for it. It's your preference. That's what makes your bike ideal for you and nobody else. Play with it and have fun.

You asked 4 questions in your first post. They were:

1) Is it really going to feel that much better?
    2) Does the DW link suspension really work that well for pedaling and trail riding?
    3) Is it lively on the trail?
    4) Does it pop off of lips and flick around easily?

Here are the answers:

1) In my opinion, the difference is HUGE, and here is where you will notice it: first, successive square edge hits when you are climbing or accelerating. The Mojo is still going to accelerate efficiently, but is will still absorb the smallest bumps. AND second, high speed sweeping corners with mid corner bumps: The dw-link will react instantly to the bumps in the corners, and your bike will track more smoothly. This is really most noticeable at the limits of traction.

2) Yes, I would argue that there is no other system better suited, but don't take my word for it, give a test ride on a bike that's set up for you!

3) Yes, very. No extra low speed compression damping to slow things down. The dampers use juuuuust the right amount of LSC and no more.

4) Yup, like a champ. Take a look at a video of Lopes on A-Line at whistler.

Nothing is going to substitute for a test ride, so get out there and pedal!
    DW Link Mojo V Horst Link/ Brain

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I have an X fusion Enix and a Velvet and they are really a nice fork. I'll tell ya, that Enix was $250 and it is a great fork. It replaced a Fox F120 and it's worlds better. The Velvet seems to ride slightly more harsh but still a great fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    When you say M/L monarch, are you talking about Medium rebound, light compresion? I recently switched to an HD from a carbon nomad and the rp23 seems like it can't keep up on fast long down grades. The rp23 had the same problem on the nomad. Im still fine tuning suspension, currently running just over 30% sag and 6 clicks rebound from closed on the rp23, not sure how my rebound setting compares to others?
    Delayed response..but it should be Medium rebound and Low compression.
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonylokrn View Post
    Delayed response..but it should be Medium rebound and Low compression.
    Thanks, I actually ended up buying a monarch plus from Push and had it tuned. Got it a week ago, best upgrade ever!