mtbr member

Roadie Talk - Silk SL

I'm after a bit of feedback from the guys at IBIS on the new Silk SL.
    The website blurb talks about stronger stiffer carbon but what are the ride qualities like.
    Is there a compromise in comfort with the new stiffer carbon and is there any 'give' tuned into the seat stays?
    I know it is a subjective matter but how would you describe the ride qualities of the Silk SL compared with the current batch of carbon road machines... is it on the stiff and ultra racey side like a Ridley Noah or more absorbant when you hit a pothole like a Cannodale SuperSix with the ultra skinny seat stays?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

ride

Hello!
    I think I know what you're looking for here.... My impression is that the frame is light and stiff in a large scale sense, that is when you really put it down there's a feeling of efficient acceleration without any substantial flex, yet somehow, the road chatter is wonderfully dampened all the time.
    I think the large section thin walled monocoque structure is excellent at torsional stiffness (out of the saddle and hard cornering) the BB and chain stay area is plenty stiff, (one of the stiffer bikes you'll ride) but the TT is ovalized on the horizontal axis a little and that allows the bike to flex a little over rough road.
    There is another thing that I've noticed, the first bit of movement in the frame feels very supple, maybe like a Ti frame or softer, then after a little more displacement, it feels like ALL the fibers are now contributing and it just won't move any further. That makes for a smooth ride without the frame feeling flexy.
    The cornering is amazing by the way!
    Hans
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    Hi Hans, Thanks for the feedback.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Silk Ride Characteristics

Hans,

I too am thinking of getting a new Silk SL but am trying to figure-out if it will be comfortable enough for long rides (4-6 hours). My dealers don't have any to test ride yet so I am just trying to anticipate what the ride is like. I am going to use the bike mostly for road training for mountain bike racing and maybe a few hilclimbs and roadraces. It sounds like it is plenty stiff for me since I only weigh 150 lbs. However, I am 45 years old and want something that is reasonably comfortable for long rides. I currently ride a Giant TCR Carbon 1 (2004) and find that to be fairly comfortable for 3-4 hours and light. I think I just need a bigger size and would like something a little more vertically compliant. However, some of the newer designs seem to be signifcantly stiffer and more comfortable such as the 2008 Madonne. I don't think I need to go as far in comfort as the Specialized Roubaix, but the Tarmac S-Works SL2 felt very smooth to me the other day when I test rode it (even with carbon wheels). Alternatively, the Cervelo R3 SL felt very harsh to me eventhough it is very light and is touted as a climbing bike. Note, I live in Colorado so everything is straight up, then down, but often with rough pavement. Any more detailed color on how the new Silk SL might compare against my TCR frame-of-reference and the other bikes I've test ridden above would be helpful. You might want to post over in Roadbikereview.com as well as the new Silk SL frame seems to be getting some questions over there too.

By the way, I love my Mojo! It is by far the best All Mountain bike out there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

long ride comfort tips and tricks

Hello again!

Here's a bit of my experience on the theme of comfort...

For a year or so I had both a Roubaix and a Silk set up with the same components and did a bunch of tests to see what is was about the Roubaix that made the ride so comfortable.

I suspected that it was not actually the little inserts and flex engineered into the frame, but rather the saddle, "bar fat" and tires and wheels that made the ride so plush.

I set up my Silk full race, except for little strips of bar fat inside the hooks on the drops and just before the hoods on top. Also put on a soft comfortable saddle, and ran my 23 c tires at 115. The bars I used are also a bit flexy (Syntace)

There are a lot of very rough down hills on my local road rides and it was clear to me that the bikes were essentially equal comfort as set up. I am convinced that a Silk built up with comfort in mind can be a great century or double century bike. The excellent handling and acceleration combined with the smooth ride is fantastic, and I don't really see any drawback to it other than a small amount of weight added for a more comfortable saddle etc. The overall weight should still be very low if you care about that. Easily in the 15 lb range, less if you try...

Cheers!

Hans
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Silk Comfort

Hans,

Thanks for the reply. This is just what I was looking for in terms of characteristics. I think I'll be waiting for a Silk SL to ship to my shop. They were thinking it would probably be in April.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    After over 4 months of waiting: my new Ibis Silk SL:

The bike rides just great !
    BTW: Thanks Hans or Ibis for the EC90SLX Fork instead of the EC70SL, and I didn't expect the fork to be in the right color allready.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    looks great, nice colour

good to see the silk making it onto this forum. A breath of fresh air!!

The Crow
    Another one for Hans:

Any chance I can order a Silk SL (to go with my Mojo SL!) with just a white Ibis logo on the down tube? In other words without the color around it. Same as Mojo's downtube decal.
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

The Crow
    ...also, at 5'9" what size to get? 53 or 55

I am 176cm (5'9") with a 83cm (32,7") inseam
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hello!

It's not easy to make one offs... I think your idea could look pretty nice though... Maybe you would like last years graphic better? There are a few of those around still...

Regarding sizing, you could probably run either size depending on your riding style. If you like to sit more upright the larger size will feel better. If you want to get down in the front and rail corners / sprint etc. then the smaller size would be better.

Hans
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

Supersonic Garfield

wonderful frame

I am on love with my Silk SL!

It is a stiff frame with lots of response. If you find it uncomfortable then choose the wheelset and air pressure carefully. Lots can be gained from the correct setup. My wheelset is plenty stiff and that makes for a bit of chatter if the road is harsh.

The greatest attribute of this bike is the cornering. Just plain insane. Very resolute and dedicated. I feel invincible in the corners

Would not trade this frame for anything. My medium came in under 900 grams including seatcollar+bolts! It weights 16lbs with pedals (mtb). The wheelset is 1780 grams so I could easily get this bike in the fourteens.

More pictures here http://www.pbase.com/trond/ibis_silk_sl

The Crow
    Thanks for the reply Hans. The frames you're talking about are they the same as this only graphic that differs? Didn't you make some other changes as well?

Spoke to your South African dealer re the graphic option and then...thought...what about a 53cm Silk SL in the rubberized Matte Black? Damn that would look smoking! Any change?

Just so you know, you're SA dealer is on the ball. Friendly, helpful, knowledgable. His customer service is what people rave about Ibis about. Just so you know.

NOW GET ME A 53 in rubberized matte black...pretty please?
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Completely agree with Trond. The Silk is stiff as hell, I could feel cracks on the road so hard it hurt.
    Here another picture, form the highest paved road in Northern America: Mt Evans Highway at about 3700m above sea level:

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    That is one sexy bike!