mtbr member
    Jan 2007

RL or RLC on Mojo?

Greetings,

New mojo should be here this week. My first full suspension bike. Coming off of a Kona Kula of long ago. Getting the SX build kit. Know very little about current suspension technology. LBS has offered option of upgrading fork to RLC from RL. I am 205 lbs, 46 years old, 6'2" and like to ride cross country trails with no stunts or major drops. Most aggressive trail will be the Test of Metal race in Squamish this spring. Mostly ride the Rockies in Alberta. Is it worth the $$? LBS has stated that it will be easier to "dial in" the suspension with the "C" adjustment but that they would be able to "make it work" with the "RL". Obviously I have not gone with top of the line build kit so not that concerned with having the latest and greatest for each component (of course that doesn't include the frame, Scott, Tom, Hans, Roxy...which most definetly is the latest and greatest). Any advice would be appreciated.

www.derbyrims.com
    The RLC is much more tunable for dive and fork bob.

Hans and Tom have recommendations somewhere in another thread for using the "L" lever partially closed in combination with compression tuning to produce a platform effect for more aggressive racing type use. The RL's "L" doesn’t have semi-lockout tuning like the RLC can produce.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'd get the RLC finances permitting, it's not much more $, but the low speed compression control is really useful. Basically, you can turn the lever on the top of the fork and not only will the fork not move when you stand and accelerate, but it WILL move when you hit a substantial bump. You can tune the threshold that this happens at and it's actually easy to find the sweet spot. Then you forget about it. With this set correctly you can really go a lot faster in rolling terrain where you might stand to keep momentum up short climbs that are rough.
    Nice for extended out of the saddle use too (without having to flip the lever back and forth as often)
    The RL works fine but doesn't have that low speed compression control, and is either active or not with the lockout lever. Otherwise the forks seem to be the same.
    Cheers,
    Hans

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    My SX build came with an RLC as standard! Don't tell anyone at the factory, though!