mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Ripley XX1 - Does Weagle approve?

Just ran across a blog (DW-LINK - Home) post on Dave Weagle's site from October 2008 where he says that multiple front chainrings are the savior of full suspension designs.

As I wait for my Ripley to arrive, I have been planning on running it with an XX1 setup. I am used to a 2x10 on my current bike, and I can get pretty much all of the gear ratios I want with an XX1 using a 28 tooth chainring.

Two questions:

In general, what does Ibis/Weagle think of running the Ripley with an XX1 in terms of anti-squat characteristics of the dw-link?

Secondly, I read that the Ripley was designed around a 32-34 front chainring - again assuming I use an XX1, what if anything is lost by using a 28 tooth front?

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mk45 View Post
    .....Two questions:

In general, what does Ibis/Weagle think of running the Ripley with an XX1 in terms of anti-squat characteristics of the dw-link?

Secondly, I read that the Ripley was designed around a 32-34 front chainring - again assuming I use an XX1, what if anything is lost by using a 28 tooth front?
    Your second question was covered to a certain degree in this thread...
    Ideal front chainring size for 1x10/XX1 on the Ripley?

See this post specifically from Hans... Ideal front chainring size for 1x10/XX1 on the Ripley?
    The smaller chainring will give you more anti squat. The 27 will ride fine and should feel pretty good, though you might spin out the 11 at times. I rode a bunch of terrain in the 24t on the 34 24 double the other day so I could comment on this and I can say that it rides well.

Ibis does have a short blurb on XX1 on the "Details" tab on the Ripley page if you scroll to the bottom...

" SINGLE RINGS AND CHAIN GUIDES

If you want to run a 1X system, we've got great news. SRAM XX1 is fully compatible with the Ripley. The Ripley builds up around 23 pounds with an XX1 group. We’ve tried it and we like it."

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks! I will likely pick up both a 28 and 32T chainring for use, depending on terrain.