mtbr member

New question here. Ripley - where are the cables supposed to take up suspension movement?

Dear Ibis,

I'm curious, where are the gear cables and brake hoses supposed to take up the compression from the suspension movement? Bulging out above the shock and clevis? Moving out of the head tube exits? Somewhere else?

I just wanna know since this point of the design is not clear to me, and since I couldn't really work out how to make the internal routing work well, even after double checking with your videos.

Currently running all cables externally after trying my luck with the cable dice (nicely designed) but not liking the bulging out by the shock nor the sharp kink in the gear cable that developed from the (far side) head tube exit.

Thanks!
    Last edited by simenf; 1 Week Ago at 06:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I built my Ripley up a few weeks ago and had to redo the cables a couple of times. My brake line and rear derailleur lines flex right above the shock - i.e. no movement of cables inside the frame. The Dice sits right up against where the cables exit the frame about the shock mount (to the top tube). There is actuallly a small recess where the Dice fits real snug. I'll grab some photos tomorrow as it will be easier to understand.

One key point that made the difference for me was that the front derailleur and rear derailleur cables cross INSIDE the frame and not before.

see this, much better than the video:
    http://www.ibiscycles.com/images/upl...Rev_D_2web.pdf

edit: the cables also bow inwards when the shock compresses

aka dan51
    Simenf, I've had the same experience. Last weekend I finally got fed up and redid the cabling. Rear brake and rear der now run down the downtube and are held in place by a ziptie in the middle of the tube, then a HD cable guide at the water bottle cage bolts.
    Mojo HD Carbon Cable Clip ? Ibis Cycles Online Store
    The cables then run up between the seattube and clevis.
    Front der and adjustable seatpost cable use the internal routing, no cable dice required.

I got the idea from here:
    Horse for the Course: Laramie Enduro - BikeRadar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    My question was intended as asked, not ironically.

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Was wondering if the internal cross of cables is supposed to happen? My adjustable post cable goes in the L inlet, and comes out the R headtube hole, and vice versa for my rear derailleur cable. Didn't think they were supposed to cross, and if you watch the cable trick video on Ibis' site, they don't. Kind of confused. And I've been getting some noise from that part of my bike. Creak/Clack. Kind of annoying but it's mild.

Also, what's the point of the cable dice? Didn't think it was necessary?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by simenf View Post
    Dear Ibis,

I'm curious, where are the gear cables and brake hoses supposed to take up the compression from the suspension movement? Bulging out above the shock and clevis? Moving out of the head tube exits? Somewhere else?
    Assuming that the cable dice is in place, the cables should bow upwards above the shock and not move anywhere else. It works the best if they are not too long, but not quite straight across this area either. Just a very slight bow in them when the bike is topped out. A single zip tie in the middle of the bow (for the ones that move, brake and RD) should help if they are bowing out sideways.

H

mtbr member
    I got the idea from here:
    Horse for the Course: Laramie Enduro - BikeRadar[/QUOTE]

Best routing I have seen on a Ripley! very nicely done.

mtbr member
    Thansk for the reply, Hans!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo2213 View Post
    One key point that made the difference for me was that the front derailleur and rear derailleur cables cross INSIDE the frame and not before.

see this, much better than the video:
    http://www.ibiscycles.com/images/upl...Rev_D_2web.pdf

edit: the cables also bow inwards when the shock compresses
    Having the F. and R. derailleur cross inside the frame is different that what is shown in the video. Makes sense though if you are running 1x11 and a dropper post.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by odin View Post
    Best routing I have seen on a Ripley! very nicely done.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's nice, though I personally wouldn't drill my frame for it. Maybe an adhesive cable tie-down?

I've had good success running rear der. and brake lines down the external tie-downs on the left side of the TT, with only the dropper post run internal. All cables exit at the shock mount, but this way the cables that get compressed by the shock are external and tied down tight. No movement or sawing of the steerer. Only works if you're 1x though!

mtbr member
    I am currently using the adhesive cable tie-down on the right side of the frame but
    its a pain since they do come out and need to be replaced.I am not going to drill my frame simply because of resale but it looks like its working...