mtbr member

New question here. Ripley vs. Spider Comp

I am new here (greetings from Tel Aviv), not sure where to post this question, so do it 3x. Forgive me.

I demo-ed a Ripley, but cannot demo a Spider Comp. My head goes to to the Ripley, my heart says the Spider Comp. Anyone here who can compare the bikes?

The full question with my Ripley review, and riding profile is here: Ripley vs. Spider Comp

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I bought a Spider 29 comp red 3 months ago and was not satisfied with it and with intense customer service!
    The problem was that the red paint in the inner part of the rear triangle got damaged in 5 different spots by rocks. the same happened to the vpp under the BB.
    The screw of the pivot got loose two times while riding.
    Apart from that it is a good bike, but I finnally exchanged the frame with a ripley and I am so glad I did it !

The spider was more suitable for very technical descents with my 140mm fork, but also less agile than the ripley.
    The vpp tends to bob when you go out of the saddle in trail mode while the dw link is a very stable platform.

The aestethic of the ripley is better then the spider.

Contact me if you have any further question.

Ciao

Tony from Rome

mtbr member
    Thank you Tony.

Is the disadvantage of the Ripley on technical descents just the 120mm fork that bottoms out, or the rider position, or the less plush feel of the bike?

When you talk about technical descents, do you do them very fast "gravity style" or more careful rock by rock?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan Schultink View Post
    Thank you Tony.

Is the disadvantage of the Ripley on technical descents just the 120mm fork that bottoms out, or the rider position, or the less plush feel of the bike?

When you talk about technical descents, do you do them very fast "gravity style" or more careful rock by rock?
    When I talk about technical descents I tend to do them fast but without jumps, so more Rock by rock style.

I use a 140mm on both frames and the spider seemed to me more plush on the down hills, also due to its 67,5 vs 68,5 of the ripley.

Ciao