Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    241

    Ripley vs. Mojo HDR

    I've had my HDR for a few months, but haven't ridden it much this winter. Plan to get a lot of miles on this bike every day of sunshine that I can. I also decided to sell my Tallboy for love of the DW Linkage and get a Ripley. Ripley build should be done this week. I look forward to comparing both, side-by-side over the course of this year and will post updates! It's going to be a GREAT year!!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slow ridr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    25
    My 26" 160mm HD is collecting dust since I got my Ripley. During our recent Sedona trip the HD stayed home as the Ripley with 34 140mm fork was enough for the demands of the "H" rides. The Ripley let me clear climbing obstacles I hadn't before. I didn't think the HD could be beat, but i'm loving my Ripley.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4,028
    Quote Originally Posted by slow ridr View Post
    My 26" 160mm HD is collecting dust since I got my Ripley. During our recent Sedona trip the HD stayed home as the Ripley with 34 140mm fork was enough for the demands of the "H" rides. The Ripley let me clear climbing obstacles I hadn't before. I didn't think the HD could be beat, but i'm loving my Ripley.
    Really? Even when descending the steep, off camber slickrock on Hangover on the nose? There's nothing really that tough on the Hogs but I would think the bigger wheels might help on some of the steep, backside chunk on HiLine. Good info to know
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

  4. #4
    Too Much Fun
    Reputation: benja55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,062
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermiss View Post
    I look forward to comparing both, side-by-side over the course of this year and will post updates! It's going to be a GREAT year!!
    Ripley AND an HDR? You are STOKED. If I were in your shoes I'd probably go ultralight XC with the Ripley and mild-burly on the HDR.
    - -benja- -

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slow ridr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Really? Even when descending the steep, off camber slickrock on Hangover on the nose? There's nothing really that tough on the Hogs but I would think the bigger wheels might help on some of the steep, backside chunk on HiLine. Good info to know
    I took the chicken way through the trees to the right at the saddle of Hangover. The rework on the baldwin side of Highline lowers the skill needed for the descent. I was grateful for the Ripley on the Templeton switchbacks.
    The Ripley is not a replacement for the HD with drops greater than about 3' to 4', but for technical xc riding I am enjoying it.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4,028
    Quote Originally Posted by slow ridr View Post
    I took the chicken way through the trees to the right at the saddle of Hangover. The rework on the baldwin side of Highline lowers the skill needed for the descent. I was grateful for the Ripley on the Templeton switchbacks.
    The Ripley is not a replacement for the HD with drops greater than about 3' to 4', but for technical xc riding I am enjoying it.
    Cool. I'm with benja on the two bike quiver thought. I have a Turner 5spot built up burly for sedona and flagstaff riding but it's a bit overkill for most Flag riding. I like the idea of a lightweight carbon 29r for the more xc-flow stuffy or long big mountain days on the Colorado Trail for example. But I'm curious if I would like it in Sedona especially on steep slickrock roll overs.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    241
    The HDR has an XX1 drivetrain with XT brakes, CCDBA and the Fox 34 Talas Fork.

    I decided to give the Rock Shox Pike 140 a try on the Ripley. This will have XT brakes and 2 x 10 XTR drivetrain and the Fox shock to start.

    Both are getting ENVE AM wheel sets. Chris King hubs on the 29er and going with I9s on the 650b since CK doesn't make an XX1 compatible hub yet.

    Both also have the KS LEV dropper post.

    I probably could have gone weight weenie on the Ripley, but I weigh 240 lbs. and I also have a 22lb Highball when I want to ride a light hardtail.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermiss View Post
    The HDR has an XX1 drivetrain with XT brakes, CCDBA and the Fox 34 Talas Fork.

    I decided to give the Rock Shox Pike 140 a try on the Ripley. This will have XT brakes and 2 x 10 XTR drivetrain and the Fox shock to start.

    Both are getting ENVE AM wheel sets. Chris King hubs on the 29er and going with I9s on the 650b since CK doesn't make an XX1 compatible hub yet.

    Both also have the KS LEV dropper post.

    I probably could have gone weight weenie on the Ripley, but I weigh 240 lbs. and I also have a 22lb Highball when I want to ride a light hardtail.
    You must be a Colombian druglord with that level and number of bikes LOL

    An enviable position to be in!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    241

    Ripley is in!

    The build is almost complete. Going to swap out the Ibis saddle for the same Specialized saddle that fits my junk and is on all my bikes. The XT cranks will be replaced by XTR (anyone looking for new XT cranks ?)

    The stem is temporary and a Thomson 120mm is on order. Thinking about switching the bars, but will keep the Easton for now. XTR pedals will be on tomorrow. Waiting for blue ENVE decals to replace the worn white ones (feel free to insert smart a$$ comment about decals here). Also waiting for the end cap on my I9/Stan's wheel set to be replaced so my back up wheels will be ready. My work schedule and the weather looks like it's going to suck for the rest of the week, so I may not ride it until Sunday. Hoping to get a nice 40 mile ride with 5K ft. of climbing in on Sunday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ripley vs. Mojo HDR-ripley-1.jpg  

    Ripley vs. Mojo HDR-ripley-2.jpg  

    Ripley vs. Mojo HDR-ripley-3.jpg  


  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    229
    Red decals on the wheels would look sick with your other red accents, IMO. I have the same basic setup other than the carbon wheels and I went with XO1 for drivetrain. The Pike is so badass!! you will love it. I pulled one of the air volume spacers out and it is so linear until a nice ramp up at the very end of the travel range. It made the fork match the plush rear end much better. Bike feels dialed front and rear now. I am 6'3" and 185lbs so your results may vary. You will love the Ripley. I know I do.

  11. #11
    Leq
    Leq is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermiss View Post
    Waiting for blue ENVE decals to replace the worn white ones (feel free to insert smart a$$ comment about decals here).
    Blue decals are soo santa cruz.

    Went this way:

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: simenf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    410
    @nevermiss: it looks sweet! I'm going for the Pike DPA and am gonna have it spray painted satin black.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    241
    Thought about it some more and decided to change to the red decals. The set going on the HDR will be blue. Should have pics of the HDR this weekend or early next week.

    After an quick pedal around the parking lot, I can tell you that the Ripley has much more active suspension than my Tallboy and I'll enjoy it a lot more on the rocky descents. I'll throw it on the scale tonight, but my guess is that even with KS LEV, which the Tallboy did not have, it's probably only a pound or so heavier.

    @wasfast. I thought about going XX1, which I have on my HDR, but I already had two sweet 29er wheel sets built with hubs that aren't XX1 compatible and I didn't want to order two new sets of hubs. I like Chris King hubs, but after talking with them, they probably won't have an X01/XX1 until later this summer or fall.

    My HDR 650b wheel sets have I9s and they are doing well so far.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    241
    Maiden voyage tomorrow. Will swap out for XTR cranks when they come in next week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ripley vs. Mojo HDR-ripley-5.jpg  

    Ripley vs. Mojo HDR-ripley-4.jpg  

    Ripley vs. Mojo HDR-ripley-3.jpg  

    Ripley vs. Mojo HDR-ripley-2.jpg  

    Ripley vs. Mojo HDR-ripley-1.jpg  


  15. #15
    Singletrack Addict!!!
    Reputation: Relayden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    872
    A 120mm stem?? Are you Jao Min? I though they stopped making any stem longer than 110mm a few years ago... They so take away handling from bikes, specially 29'ers. If you have heard this advice before, stop reading.. otherwise here it is. My advice, take that Easton bar away and far from your bikes, that's a 685mm bar, put a short stem, 90mm tops, preferably 70mm, add a 740/760 bar, hell, you can go 780mm, you'll be glad you did. You'll be in more control, have more upper body leverage, bike will respond quicker and more precise, which will allow you to ride faster/safer and with a bigger grin!
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by Relayden View Post
    A 120mm stem?? Are you Jao Min? I though they stopped making any stem longer than 110mm a few years ago... They so take away handling from bikes, specially 29'ers. If you have heard this advice before, stop reading.. otherwise here it is. My advice, take that Easton bar away and far from your bikes, that's a 685mm bar, put a short stem, 90mm tops, preferably 70mm, add a 740/760 bar, hell, you can go 780mm, you'll be glad you did. You'll be in more control, have more upper body leverage, bike will respond quicker and more precise, which will allow you to ride faster/safer and with a bigger grin!
    I'm 6'4" with ape arms and a long torso. If I were to use a 70mm stem, I would be sitting completely upright! The top tube on this bike is shorter than I am used to. My Tallboy and Highball are XXL frames and both the XL HDR and Ripley frames are a little small for me. I agree about the bar though. I have a wider bar on my HDR and will be swapping out this bar on the Ripley soon.

  17. #17
    Singletrack Addict!!!
    Reputation: Relayden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    872
    I see... but, it wouldn't hurt to try it, wide bar, 90mm stem, for a few rides and see how it goes. I was used to be more stretched out on my bikes, when I first got the HD I had a 90mm stem on it with 711 bars. I though I was ok, until I tried the shorter stem for a a few rides, 90mm no way, then the 740mm bar and that was it. Same has been the case for a lot of friends which I have loaned stem/bars, no way back!! After a few rides, body starts forgetting the old position and adjusts accordingly. Just my experience... Nice build you have there, enjoy it!
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    241
    I was very impressed with my first ride in Pisgah with the Ripley. It was mostly gravel road climbs with single tracked mixed in and some narrow single track descent through rocks and one section of sequential 1-3 foot stair step drop offs.

    I really appreciated the 120mm of rear travel on the descent and the only thing holding me back on the climbs were my legs. I do prefer the 29" wheels when climbing single track with rocks and logs. Its just easier for me to clear these with less effort than when riding the Mojo HDR 650b. I'm 6'4" 245 lbs. so that may have something to do with it.

    The HDR is getting ENVE wheels and a Pike 150 and will be ready next week. My friend is flying out from CO to ride with me and I'll be riding the Ripley and he'll be riding the HDR, so it will probably be a couple weeks before I have time to compare them consecutively on the same trails.

    The Ripley was great for long rides with a lot of climbing (ideally my HT would have been better), and it was more than capable on the rocky descents (although the extra travel of the HDR would have been nice). I really see the Ripley being my "go to" bike for the most of the riding that I do, but when I'm not going to be climbing 2-3,000+ feet, I'll likely take out the Mojo for the added fun factor.

    It's good to have choices!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    241
    Well after getting a few rides with each bike, the biggest thing that I've noticed is the difference climbing up short steep rocky/rooted sections a low speed. It is definitely easier to use my momentum to roll over some sections with the 29" wheels compared to the 27.5", especially when I'm tired and don't pop the front tire up enough. Granted this doesn't affect me much on any given ride that I do and I'll probably figure this out better with more rides. I am also surprised how well the Ripley handles the descents that I ride (rarely more than 2' drops), it is significantly more stable and enjoyable to ride than my Tallboy is this regard. Honestly, if I would have bought my Ripley first, I probably wouldn't have picked up the HDR. Then again, this is just me and and not bombing down big drops and flying downhill like it's my job. No plans to give up the HDR for now.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chaseco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    217
    How much you want for the xt cranks nevermiss

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaseco View Post
    How much you want for the xt cranks nevermiss
    Sorry, my builder ended up keeping them and gave me deal on the XTR as an upgrade.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: plume's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,538
    Nice build nevermiss. Love the details! Just got mine rolling finally today! Nice sticker on the chain stay bridge!
    My one says BRAP!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by plume View Post
    Nice build nevermiss. Love the details! Just got mine rolling finally today! Nice sticker on the chain stay bridge!
    HaHa!! I'll bet you have the same sticker on yours! Thanks for building my dream MTB. Unfortunately, I think your bike will be much faster than mine!!

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    241
    Well after ample time on both bikes around my local trails, I find myself spending most of my time on the Ripley. The HDR is a great bike, but I'm just not the shredder, who is getting big air and bombing downhill to appreciate all that the HDR 650b has to offer. It's too sweet of a bike to be sitting in my garage. I hope to take some pics and post it for sale on MTBR and a few other places in the next week or two when I have time.

  25. #25
    Lightly salted
    Reputation: fuenstock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,231
    I have a hdr and a ripley. I don't feel they overlap to much, but I have my Ripley setup 120mm front and rear with light tires and an xc setup cockpit. My hdr is 26" big tires, 160mm front and rear with an am setup cockpit. The way I have them setup they feel completely different from each other. Make that Ripley light weight xc and go Am with the hdr.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 390
    Last Post: 06-29-2013, 11:46 PM
  2. Mojo/Mojo SL shock removal question
    By budgie in forum Ibis
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-09-2013, 09:14 PM
  3. Frames Only: Sell a Mojo or buy a Mojo
    By KyMtnBiker in forum Ibis
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-26-2012, 07:18 PM
  4. Mojo 4 Mikaela - win an Ibis Mojo
    By VTmojo in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-29-2011, 10:30 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-09-2011, 09:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •