yohyatt
    Mar 2009

Ripley Stem/Handlebar Height

I just took receipt of my new Ripley and boy is this bike awesome. So much badder than my spesh endo for the twisties. After looking at people's setups, I'm wondering if I'm the only one that is running the ibis stem reversed, slammed on the headtube, with the lo-fi bar. I'm seeing a lot of spacers under the stem and riser bars etc. I haven't ridden the bike with the reversed stem yet (first ride was with it in + direction), but I'm curious what people have been feeling works best. I'm having a hard time keeping my weight forward when pedaling (I have a 120/140 talas), I think mainly due to the steep ST on the enduro that I'm used to, so I'm hoping my next ride with the reversed stem solves the problem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have one spacer with the stem set at (-7). I lowered the stem after the front was hard to keep on the ground on steep climbs. Seems to be pretty good so far. I have the 120m fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Liking it slammed

I just went from a 70mm to a 90mm and I am liking the improved traction. Handling is still great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ripley Stem/Handlebar Height-p1010529.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I run at Syntace Megaforce 2 Stem (-6 degree). With my 140mm fork, it's slammed. With my 120mm fork, I have one 5mm spacer. I also run Syntace Vector +5mm rise bars.

yohyatt
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgong View Post
    I run at Syntace Megaforce 2 Stem (-6 degree). With my 140mm fork, it's slammed. With my 120mm fork, I have one 5mm spacer. I also run Syntace Vector +5mm rise bars.

glad to see others are slamming and reversing stems, with flat bars.

mtbr member
    I am 6' 1 1/2" on an XL, using a 6d/100mm stem in regular position without spacers mated to a Syntace 740mm/5mm rise/12d sweep bar on a Fox F32 120 fork. I've got a 420mm Reverb dropper post and a distance of around 81cm BB to top of saddle. This gives me a pretty sporty riding position with the saddle being maybe 8-10cm taller than the bars. When I'm getting my new RS Pike 150/120-fork I'm likely to reverse the stem to compesate for the 11mm taller AC of that fork. It is really a game of change and test again to find your allround sweet spot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

could also consider the answer 20/20 bar

a la Evan Plew's setup on his Ripley (though I didn't realize he had this setup until a couple days ago when I was researching how to set up my ripley for an upcoming endurance race...I have mine currently setup pretty beefy)...I run the answer 20 / 20 enduro carbon bar. It's got a 20 degree back sweep, hence the name, which is super wrist / shoulder friendly, but it's also got a bit of rise that's intended to be flip-flop-able to get some negative rise.

with the fox 140 34, 70mm stem (on a M rip) and only a 2mm spacer under the stem I've been going back and forth between having the 20/20 rise versus neg rise...both have their benefits.

something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by simenf View Post
    I am 6' 1 1/2" on an XL, using a 6d/100mm stem in regular position without spacers mated to a Syntace 740mm/5mm rise/12d sweep bar on a Fox F32 120 fork. I've got a 420mm Reverb dropper post and a distance of around 81cm BB to top of saddle. This gives me a pretty sporty riding position with the saddle being maybe 8-10cm taller than the bars. When I'm getting my new RS Pike 150/120-fork I'm likely to reverse the stem to compesate for the 11mm taller AC of that fork. It is really a game of change and test again to find your allround sweet spot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Ripley Stem/Handlebar Height-dsc_1742-1-1-.jpg
    I am 175 cm and ride a Ripley Medium with 120 fork, LoFi bars (740 mm width), 80 mm Ibis stem reversed, but with three 5 mm spacers underneath. For me this works perfectly. I have a back that is a bit sensitive to the position. I set the bike up like this, as I expected to be needing to adjust the position later. My experience from my previous bikes is that even small changes can make a huge difference on comfort and fore/aft balance.

With this setup I have great control on the climbs and is comfortable on long rides.

I was initially a bit worried that the bike would feel short, as I come from "old-school XC-bikes", with longer top tubes and narrow bars (eh, yes, with bar-ends). The wide bars compensates for the shorter frame design.

My bars and seat end up almost at the same height, but with the seat slightly higher.

mtbr member

Ripley Stem/Handlebar Height

I wouldn't get hung up on how slammed your stem is or whether it is flipped. You just want a comfortable and efficient fit. You may already have this dialed, but a good place to start is have the end of your bars/grips level with the top of your saddle. Then go climb a very steep hill and see how that feels. If front end wanders, then you may have to drop bars.

But ideally, consider investing in a full professional fitting...preferably by someone who specializes in mountain bike fitting. I did and have been very happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yes, fit is #1. Who cares about looks if your back hurts