mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Ripley & Shimano 2x10 setups

Hi all - apologies if this is old hat. I tried using search to find this answer, but didn't see much, even in the build thread.

I'm interested in a Ripley with 2x10 (I understand the ratio overlaps with 1x11, but like the idea of smaller gear steps... wimpy, wimpy, wimpy, I know!).

My LBS indicated Ibis didn't support an XT 2x crank, which seemed odd to me. Anyone know anything different? (No offense to the E13, I just like XT!)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I think you're asking if XT 2x10 will work on a Ripley? If so, I have full XT 2x10 on my Ripley. It works fine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Zeppman - thanks - glad to hear it. Yes, that's exactly what I meant - in particular, using an XT crank instead of the stock e13. What the guy was telling me at the shop didn't seem to make any sense...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    No prob,

I've got a 26/38 tooth combo up front. I have no idea if you could go bigger then that if you wanted to. I'd just call Ibis and ask.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    With Shimano shifter, FD and their chainrings you should be fine.

I had my LBS deviate from that combo and we had troubles. One thing we found out is that the SRAM 2x FD hits the swing arm where it is mounted when you go to the low gear. I was trying to use XTR shifter, XT Double Cranks, and Blackspire 34/22 chainrings. Knowing that the Shimano 2x FD drags when using a 22 we tried the SRAM FD and no dice. Ended up going with the Shimano triple crank, 3x FD, and a bash instead of a big ring.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dielectric lab View Post
    With Shimano shifter, FD and their chainrings you should be fine.

I had my LBS deviate from that combo and we had troubles. One thing we found out is that the SRAM 2x FD hits the swing arm where it is mounted when you go to the low gear. I was trying to use XTR shifter, XT Double Cranks, and Blackspire 34/22 chainrings. Knowing that the Shimano 2x FD drags when using a 22 we tried the SRAM FD and no dice. Ended up going with the Shimano triple crank, 3x FD, and a bash instead of a big ring.
    I'm using a full XTR drivetrain with 2x10. I've not had a problem with the FD dragging when using a 22T chainring. The 2x10 works great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Re: Ripley & Shimano 2x10 setups

Quote Originally Posted by agoura_biker View Post
    I'm using a full XTR drivetrain with 2x10. I've not had a problem with the FD dragging when using a 22T chainring. The 2x10 works great.
    What chainrings are you using?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dielectric lab View Post
    What chainrings are you using?
    I'm using a Blackspire 22T. (I still have the stock XTR 38T big ring; it's a bit big of a jump at 16T, but it's working fine. At some point I'll go to a 36T or 34T, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.)

NCtrailrider
    Jan 2012
    This may be old hat too, but another thing to note is the Shimano shifter has a 2x and 3x screw under the shifter. Be sure that is set appropriately.