mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Ripley: Rotor rubbing frame. Help!

I'm currently building up my Ripley but when I put the rear wheel in I notice that the rotor is rubbing on the brake mounts. I had a floating Formula rotor on so swapped that for a non floating to see if that helped. No joy!

I'm running a Chris King hub and it's almost like the axle is too short or the gap in the frame is too wide! I know the axle is 142mm as it came off another bike ( I even measured it just to make sure!).

The possible causes I can think of are; I'm missing a part from the dropouts, I'm missing a part form the hub or I'm over-tightening the Maxle.

I've checked the manuals of both the frame and hub and everything seems to be in order there so that leaves the Maxle. How tight should it be? Just snugged up then close the lever? When I close the lever I really see the gap between the rotor and the brake mounts close up. It looks like it needs a washer in there!

Sorry for the lengthy post but any advice would be very welcome! The bike is so close to finish and I just want to ride it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have a massive 0.001" clearance on mine but it isn't rubbing.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I had the same issue on my Ripley with three types of rear hubs (Mavic, DT Swiss and CK) and Formula, Hope and Shimano rotors . I think is a design flaw of the brake mounts in some frames , in mine I solved by putting a washer in the Maxle between dropout and hub .

Dropshot Champ!
    Every Chris King and Hope rear hub I've ever used has needed a small brake mount shim or two.

http://media.chainreactioncycles.com...id=500&hei=500

It was the rear hub tolerances on mine..

Really sucks to spend that much money on a sweet hubset and have it not be perfect.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for all the replies. That's been a huge help. At least now i know there's nothing wrong or missing.

Now to find a suitable washer to put on the Maxle!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Ripley: Rotor rubbing frame. Help!

Interesting, I have Hope hubs and have had the Easton's with no issue.
    Just looked, its not very close either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Got rub with American Classic 225 hubs.

Leq
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat-G View Post
    I had the same issue on my Ripley with three types of rear hubs (Mavic, DT Swiss and CK) and Formula, Hope and Shimano rotors.
    No rubbing with DT240 hub and 6 bolt Shimano icetech rotors.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Leq View Post
    No rubbing with DT240 hub and 6 bolt Shimano icetech rotors.

Same here

A Baker St. Muse
    I've got rub with a Hadley SDH hub and a Hope Tech floating rotor. Stuck an Avid I had laying around on it for now, which *barely* clears. I guess the solution is a washer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have had no problems with Stans Arch Ex with Formula or Shimano XT IceTech six bolt rotors, and no problems with Dt Swiss 1501 Spline One wheels with Shimano XT IceTech six bolt rotors (both rotors are 160 mm). Not very much clearance (maybe 1-2 mm), but no rubbing and no marks of rubbing on the frame while riding. (Shimano XTR 987 brakes).

A Baker St. Muse
    I found these:

12mm I.D. x 16mm O.D. x 0.40mm Shoulder Screw (Stripper Bolt) Lengthening Shim (Pack of 25): Round Shims: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
    12mm I.D. x 16mm O.D. x 0.50mm Shoulder Screw (Stripper Bolt) Lengthening Shim (Pack of 25): Round Shims: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

and various other sizes.

But what I'm probably going to do is bring the axle of my Hadley hub down to the local Fastenal and see if I can find a 0.5mm shim that will fit under the axle end-cap, so I don't have to shim the hub when mounting in the frame, it'll just be internal. I'll report back if it works

Edit: I was looking at the hub wrong, you can't shim inside it. But I spoke to someone at Hadley and they said that maybe I didn't tighten the endcaps enough, and that I couldn't overtighten them with the standard tools. So I'm going to try that first, and if it doesn't work, a shim on the Maxle seems like the winner.

Edit again: those shims at Amazon are M12, but a maxle is apparently NOT 12mm, so if you do get those, you'll have to cut them to fit, or get something else. I cut two 0.3mm shims and stacked them, which works just fine.
    Last edited by michael573114; 08-04-2014 at 06:14 AM. Reason: More info