Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Ripley ride report

I am coming from an SL-R, which had a 150MM Fox Float, for reference. This is my first 29er and I bought without trying - neither this bike OR any 29er. I like going head first, usually there is water.. so to speak!

My setup, custom build - I am 5'10 for reference on the stem:

Ripley, Blue, Large (beautiful..)
    Fox G2 120MM Fork
    XTR current-gen drive train with a 3x10 and XTR race pedals
    Formula R1 brakes
    Stans Arch EX + 3.3 hubs
    Specialized Captain front, purgatory rear, tubeless
    Selle SMP Dynamic saddle (no more numbness down there!)
    Truvativ Noir T40 720mm bar
    Thomson 70MM stem
    Thomson Elite seatpost

The fit is super comfy. I have the stem about parallel with the saddle and it feels great.

The Ripley climbs perfectly well, and as the Bike Magazine article commented on the kinetics, I cannot agree more. It just works. The shock barely moves, yet traction is there at all times. Stiff laterally.

Granny gear, super steep - front tire is planted and does not wander. I have never, ever experienced this, with the SL-R wandering badly, as you might expect with such a tall fork. But even my previous bikes wandered in this scenario. So for me, this was a big deal. I also stood up on the same section (multiple laps) both with and without the 120MM fork being in Climb mode. Same result, lots of traction and what I would expect with forward movement.

Fast, windy corners - amazing. the bike wants to lean in and carve unlike any I have experienced. The suspension loads up nicely so when its an S-type of turn, you can snap into the next turn and its really fun and stable. And the traction is a first for me as well. Maybe its the tires, or the 29er diameter, but I ride the trails I rode today all year long, and I have never railed like I did today. It was such a great feeling.

Holding momentum on rolling terrain - as I hoped, sure enough! The gearing is weird in terms of what gear I was in compared to the norm, but the speed spoke for itself based on the segment strava time. and I wasn't going too hard, just cruising at a nice clip. very impressive and spot on for what I want!

downhill performance - this is where I was the most impressed. I left everything in Trail mode, except the rear, which was in Climb mode. And I set a new segment record, without even 'hanging it out' - I felt like I just rode down as normal. The whole experience was so tame compared to the SL-R. Its like it all slowed down a little on the reaction time.. hard to describe. I was clearly faster than ever before, but it felt totally secure and calm. I like that.

My next big surprise was when I put front and rear into descend mode. The bike felt like a buddy's yeti asr-7. Super plush, not much trail feel, and holy crap can you let it out. The segment I did this on was normally fairly rough and a little sketchy because its a single track with relatively large gravel rocks. But today I just bombed it. Above all else, this stands out the most for me. A bike that can climb so well, hold momentum so well, then with the flick of a switch feel like a plush all mountain bike - WOW. Just WOW!

As a side note, I have cages in each of the locations, both side-exit models. I can get a full-size bottle into the triangle location with no problem. You have to watch the shock adjuster but by the end of the ride, I was doing it without thinking. I really appreciate having two cages.

I've never written a review like this but today's experience warrants it. I was very much on the fence for the SB95C, but at this point I really don't know what I'd get above this bike. I am very happy!
    Last edited by bbdo; 05-16-2013 at 08:54 PM. Reason: added fork spec!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Great report, thanks! I'm especially interested in your comments about downhill performance with a 120mm fork. I've been thinking it might handle the downhills better with a 140mm fork, but sounds like are happy with the 120. I certainly like the idea of saving the weight over a 34mm Fox 140.

It's the axle
    Thanks for the report. I can't contain my enthusiasm for this bike. But I have no choice since mediums aren't here yet.

I see Lopes is doing the Enduro with a regular cage in the triangle. And a 140mm fork.

I think this is the first bike many of us have really put thought into before building up.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Congrats on the new rig! Exciting to see some direct comparisons to other Ibis rides as many of us have logged plenty of miles on those and can better understand how Ripley rides thanks to posts like this.

One thing I haven't seen folks mention is how Ripley behaves in the air. 29" bikes have typically been a bit "odd" for jumping/clearing. Curious how things go on a Ripley.

Oh, and this thread is dying for a pic or two!

mtbr member

Re: Ripley ride report

More ride reports please.... seriously considering a Ripley.

Any comparisons to a Tallboy?

Make some thing better happen.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

mtbr member
    May 2010

some pictures from today's ride

as requested, here it is!

Ripley ride report-img_20130517_151553_764.jpg

Ripley ride report-img_20130517_151603_148.jpg

Ripley ride report-img_20130517_151536_201-lc.jpg

The ride only gets better as I get used to it

evan

captured my unicorn

Incredible bike the way this bike accelerates under power is a game changer for big wheels.
    very stable on tight switch backs. being able to build a 140 front 120 rear 29er at 26 lbs is also
    quite awesome. perfect for the guy who loves enduro and endurance races.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ripley ride report-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Ripley ride report-p5150018edit.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Pelly_NH View Post
    One thing I haven't seen folks mention is how Ripley behaves in the air. 29" bikes have typically been a bit "odd" for jumping/clearing. Curious how things go on a Ripley.
    It pops off jumps and rollers like a jackrabbit. Truly amazing bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    super impressed with the ride - very nimble on the trail and the suspension is surprisingly supple. I built mine up with the Float 140 and some hefty tires for local conditions and it's well under 30 lbs. Unimpressed with the cable routing - the internal cables (despite the internal zip tie "solution") make all kinds of noise and the bundle under the top tube above the shock is also a noisy mess. Anyone have better luck getting a quiet ride out of the Ripley?

GMM
    mtbr member
    I demo'd the bike for the 2nd time yesterday. Funny, I thought it was slightly too xc the first time. Wider bars this time but still 120mm fork. Wow, this was probably the best descending bike I have ridden. Just carries speed amazingly well over chunky trail. Single track was just a blast. It just rails. My only gripe with the bike was I found it to wonder a bit on steeper climbs and it wasn't the best when I wanted stand and climb-- a bit short for me. However, a longer stem may have remied that. Overall, a very fast and fun bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5150018edit.jpg 
Views:	1125 
Size:	351.6 KB 
ID:	800370

It pops off jumps and rollers like a jackrabbit. Truly amazing bike.
    Dude, you are giving me a bad case of bike envy. Got enough time on the Ripley for a side by with the Lenz? Do I want to know?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    It rides very very similar to the Mammoth, I still can't say enough about the Lenz. I just wish the BB was a tad lower for my terrain.

mtbr member
    I'm with you ! Black one large frame for me. 5 10 1/2 and also never tried a 29er or rode the ripley. Know two buds who rode it and loved it and that was all I needed. Got the two extreme's deal going. Rigid 26er ss lynskey and the Ripley 1x11 soon to come ... waiting on the front shock only. Thanks but we all know the deal on the Ripley .... don't we !
    You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    It rides very very similar to the Mammoth, I still can't say enough about the Lenz. I just wish the BB was a tad lower for my terrain.
    I was (mostly) just kidding. I will have to say that Ripley of yours is just drop dead gorgeous...love the green on black.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thank you sir!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Name:  DSCN1732.1.JPG
Views: 1734
Size:  45.4 KB

I'm really starting to like this bike

mtbr member

Let's roll Kato !

Black and green for my machine ! Hopefully my boy gets here in a week or two. http://friday87central.files.wordpre...headlights.jpg
    You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    mtn_bikin_bassplayer - Would really appreciate some feedback on the Xfusion fork (looks like a Trace). Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mtn_bikin_bassplayer View Post
    Incredible bike the way this bike accelerates under power is a game changer for big wheels.
    very stable on tight switch backs. being able to build a 140 front 120 rear 29er at 26 lbs is also
    quite awesome. perfect for the guy who loves enduro and endurance races.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Parking lot impressions

I just picked up my Ripley today, haven't had a chance to ride it yet. Darn work is in the way. It's going to take a few rides to get it dialed. Even though I ordered the flat bars it came with the riser bars, epic LBS is going to swap out when the flat bars come in. Sounds like they are all shipping with hi-fi bars. Cockpit is pretty short, which is no surprise per the numbers. I went with the 140 for stiffness and Specialized Roval carbons. Parking lot ride proves it accelerates like mad. It's going to be a good ride. Helicopter tape goes on tomorrow for BB and down tube then a ton of rides. Front end feels a little tall, trying to work out the stem bar combo to get it right so bars and seat are about the same. Might have to flip or swap out the stem, went with a 80 for now, looks to be 3 or 5 degree rize. Just going to ride it and mess with it as time permits. Fired up. With a bit more rubber, 2.3 Purgatory/ Ground control, Stans, xt build, xtr pedals and carbon wheels it's a shade over 27 lbs. A few lbs heavier than the last 29er I sold but feels lighter and snappy and more playful than expected given the geo. Doesn't feel as slack as the numbers would indicate. Brakes are ridiculous, 1 finger for sure, not as much modulation as the R1's but WAY more stopping power. In retrospect I would of gone 160 front and rear, I don't think the 180 is needed. Clean lines and smooth. Going to give the seat a shot, looks similar to the WTB Silverado I reluctantly sold with my old bike but a rubbery feel. Seems a little cheap with chromo rails. Could work, going to give it a few hundred miles, out of cash for bikes. Happy to be back on Shimano, I don't think I will miss the XX, Shimano just feels more crisp and tighter.

Real ride report after this weekend.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    1st ride report. Short ride after work, tight turn, short rock gardens and short marble climbs.

Bike is pimp, stem height isn't. Too tall climbing I am going to flip it. Does anyone know if the flat bars lower the rise? Going to swap those out when they come in.

The bike is stiff, pretty plush, snappy and solid. It does feel more like a 26" bike in many ways and doesn't feel too slack even with the 140 in the tight turns and is more playful than expected. Front end is still too high. I think the suspension has less stiction, maybe the coating is legit . Bars are a tiny bit wide for me, but not going to cut them since I will be swapping out for the flat bars. I need to re-route the rear brake cable, it makes noise the way it's up when it rattles on the decents. I did put some helicopter tape in a number of areas to keep it nice. The XT brakes are ridiculously strong and have good adjustment, I do have a little rub on the rear, kind of a pain to play with since the Maxle take me a little time to pull out and put back in, need more practice.. The Maxle axle is stiff and the front end is compliant and smooth. It feels like you can rail the bike in the turns. I think the tire combo is good, need some more time on it, Purgatory and Ground Control combo, both 2.3 they are pretty small for a 2.3 or perhaps the 2.35 KnobbyNics are very big. I felt like I could push them pretty hard cornering and desending. I can't tell for climbing... on marble type climbs I got more more wheel spin than expected but the front end is also too high right now. Roval carbon wheels are great, little to no flex in the wheels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You lose 20mm of rise going to flat bars which should help. Curious which model Rovals you have (with or without the bead hooks) ?

Quote Originally Posted by Truckeemtb View Post
    1st ride report. Short ride after work, tight turn, short rock gardens and short marble climbs.

Bike is pimp, stem height isn't. Too tall climbing I am going to flip it. Does anyone know if the flat bars lower the rise? Going to swap those out when they come in.

The bike is stiff, pretty plush, snappy and solid. It does feel more like a 26" bike in many ways and doesn't feel too slack even with the 140 in the tight turns and is more playful than expected. Front end is still too high. I think the suspension has less stiction, maybe the coating is legit . Bars are a tiny bit wide for me, but not going to cut them since I will be swapping out for the flat bars. I need to re-route the rear brake cable, it makes noise the way it's up when it rattles on the decents. I did put some helicopter tape in a number of areas to keep it nice. The XT brakes are ridiculously strong and have good adjustment, I do have a little rub on the rear, kind of a pain to play with since the Maxle take me a little time to pull out and put back in, need more practice.. The Maxle axle is stiff and the front end is compliant and smooth. It feels like you can rail the bike in the turns. I think the tire combo is good, need some more time on it, Purgatory and Ground Control combo, both 2.3 they are pretty small for a 2.3 or perhaps the 2.35 KnobbyNics are very big. I felt like I could push them pretty hard cornering and desending. I can't tell for climbing... on marble type climbs I got more more wheel spin than expected but the front end is also too high right now. Roval carbon wheels are great, little to no flex in the wheels.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have a stem with a -8 degree rise.... Although I am running the 120mm fork. Try a negative rise as it is working really well for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    No bead hook, Specialized Bicycle Components

I did go with Specialized Purgatory and Ground Controls with control casing knowing it would work well with their own wheels. Haven't experimented yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckeemtb View Post

Front end is still too high.
    I was initially surprised at the front end height and angles. I ended up adding a lot more air to the rear shock, which lifted the rear and balanced the bike out nicely without compromising suspension performance at all. YMMV, but I recommend experimenting with pressure. I like my suspension on the soft side, but found Ibis's recommended pressure to be waaay too soft for me. I weigh about 160 ready to ride and am running 165 psi in the rear and 60 psi in the front.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Ride 2:

Flipped my stem, mucho mejor. Ends up looking like a big rise one way and pretty much flat the other way (I thought it would be negative). Much better climbing = happy. Played with suspension today, I don't see myself using the climb mode much, it does pretty well in trail, it will probably be in downhill more often than not in rough terrain. I would use climb on pavement and maybe a fire road... maybe. Bars still feel wide, everything else starting to feel great. Seat feels decent, maybe it will stay. I left my steer tube long as I experiment with stem bar combos, it sure looks stupid sticking way up. Love the stand over height, nice flat section to carry bike when needed. I do have a cable rattle on the left from, I believe it's the rear brake cable.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast