Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Ripley ride report

I am coming from an SL-R, which had a 150MM Fox Float, for reference. This is my first 29er and I bought without trying - neither this bike OR any 29er. I like going head first, usually there is water.. so to speak!

My setup, custom build - I am 5'10 for reference on the stem:

Ripley, Blue, Large (beautiful..)
    Fox G2 120MM Fork
    XTR current-gen drive train with a 3x10 and XTR race pedals
    Formula R1 brakes
    Stans Arch EX + 3.3 hubs
    Specialized Captain front, purgatory rear, tubeless
    Selle SMP Dynamic saddle (no more numbness down there!)
    Truvativ Noir T40 720mm bar
    Thomson 70MM stem
    Thomson Elite seatpost

The fit is super comfy. I have the stem about parallel with the saddle and it feels great.

The Ripley climbs perfectly well, and as the Bike Magazine article commented on the kinetics, I cannot agree more. It just works. The shock barely moves, yet traction is there at all times. Stiff laterally.

Granny gear, super steep - front tire is planted and does not wander. I have never, ever experienced this, with the SL-R wandering badly, as you might expect with such a tall fork. But even my previous bikes wandered in this scenario. So for me, this was a big deal. I also stood up on the same section (multiple laps) both with and without the 120MM fork being in Climb mode. Same result, lots of traction and what I would expect with forward movement.

Fast, windy corners - amazing. the bike wants to lean in and carve unlike any I have experienced. The suspension loads up nicely so when its an S-type of turn, you can snap into the next turn and its really fun and stable. And the traction is a first for me as well. Maybe its the tires, or the 29er diameter, but I ride the trails I rode today all year long, and I have never railed like I did today. It was such a great feeling.

Holding momentum on rolling terrain - as I hoped, sure enough! The gearing is weird in terms of what gear I was in compared to the norm, but the speed spoke for itself based on the segment strava time. and I wasn't going too hard, just cruising at a nice clip. very impressive and spot on for what I want!

downhill performance - this is where I was the most impressed. I left everything in Trail mode, except the rear, which was in Climb mode. And I set a new segment record, without even 'hanging it out' - I felt like I just rode down as normal. The whole experience was so tame compared to the SL-R. Its like it all slowed down a little on the reaction time.. hard to describe. I was clearly faster than ever before, but it felt totally secure and calm. I like that.

My next big surprise was when I put front and rear into descend mode. The bike felt like a buddy's yeti asr-7. Super plush, not much trail feel, and holy crap can you let it out. The segment I did this on was normally fairly rough and a little sketchy because its a single track with relatively large gravel rocks. But today I just bombed it. Above all else, this stands out the most for me. A bike that can climb so well, hold momentum so well, then with the flick of a switch feel like a plush all mountain bike - WOW. Just WOW!

As a side note, I have cages in each of the locations, both side-exit models. I can get a full-size bottle into the triangle location with no problem. You have to watch the shock adjuster but by the end of the ride, I was doing it without thinking. I really appreciate having two cages.

I've never written a review like this but today's experience warrants it. I was very much on the fence for the SB95C, but at this point I really don't know what I'd get above this bike. I am very happy!
    Last edited by bbdo; 05-16-2013 at 07:54 PM. Reason: added fork spec!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Great report, thanks! I'm especially interested in your comments about downhill performance with a 120mm fork. I've been thinking it might handle the downhills better with a 140mm fork, but sounds like are happy with the 120. I certainly like the idea of saving the weight over a 34mm Fox 140.

It's the axle
    Thanks for the report. I can't contain my enthusiasm for this bike. But I have no choice since mediums aren't here yet.

I see Lopes is doing the Enduro with a regular cage in the triangle. And a 140mm fork.

I think this is the first bike many of us have really put thought into before building up.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Congrats on the new rig! Exciting to see some direct comparisons to other Ibis rides as many of us have logged plenty of miles on those and can better understand how Ripley rides thanks to posts like this.

One thing I haven't seen folks mention is how Ripley behaves in the air. 29" bikes have typically been a bit "odd" for jumping/clearing. Curious how things go on a Ripley.

Oh, and this thread is dying for a pic or two!

mtbr member

Re: Ripley ride report

More ride reports please.... seriously considering a Ripley.

Any comparisons to a Tallboy?

Make some thing better happen.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

mtbr member
    May 2010

some pictures from today's ride

as requested, here it is!

Ripley ride report-img_20130517_151553_764.jpg

Ripley ride report-img_20130517_151603_148.jpg

Ripley ride report-img_20130517_151536_201-lc.jpg

The ride only gets better as I get used to it

evan

captured my unicorn

Incredible bike the way this bike accelerates under power is a game changer for big wheels.
    very stable on tight switch backs. being able to build a 140 front 120 rear 29er at 26 lbs is also
    quite awesome. perfect for the guy who loves enduro and endurance races.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ripley ride report-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Ripley ride report-p5150018edit.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Pelly_NH View Post
    One thing I haven't seen folks mention is how Ripley behaves in the air. 29" bikes have typically been a bit "odd" for jumping/clearing. Curious how things go on a Ripley.
    It pops off jumps and rollers like a jackrabbit. Truly amazing bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    super impressed with the ride - very nimble on the trail and the suspension is surprisingly supple. I built mine up with the Float 140 and some hefty tires for local conditions and it's well under 30 lbs. Unimpressed with the cable routing - the internal cables (despite the internal zip tie "solution") make all kinds of noise and the bundle under the top tube above the shock is also a noisy mess. Anyone have better luck getting a quiet ride out of the Ripley?

GMM
    mtbr member
    I demo'd the bike for the 2nd time yesterday. Funny, I thought it was slightly too xc the first time. Wider bars this time but still 120mm fork. Wow, this was probably the best descending bike I have ridden. Just carries speed amazingly well over chunky trail. Single track was just a blast. It just rails. My only gripe with the bike was I found it to wonder a bit on steeper climbs and it wasn't the best when I wanted stand and climb-- a bit short for me. However, a longer stem may have remied that. Overall, a very fast and fun bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5150018edit.jpg 
Views:	1501 
Size:	351.6 KB 
ID:	800370

It pops off jumps and rollers like a jackrabbit. Truly amazing bike.
    Dude, you are giving me a bad case of bike envy. Got enough time on the Ripley for a side by with the Lenz? Do I want to know?

mtbr member
    It rides very very similar to the Mammoth, I still can't say enough about the Lenz. I just wish the BB was a tad lower for my terrain.

mtbr member
    I'm with you ! Black one large frame for me. 5 10 1/2 and also never tried a 29er or rode the ripley. Know two buds who rode it and loved it and that was all I needed. Got the two extreme's deal going. Rigid 26er ss lynskey and the Ripley 1x11 soon to come ... waiting on the front shock only. Thanks but we all know the deal on the Ripley .... don't we !
    Still searching for my red headed hairdresser Tiffany. "Economic Mother Nature" ... Knocks at door! -AR

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    It rides very very similar to the Mammoth, I still can't say enough about the Lenz. I just wish the BB was a tad lower for my terrain.
    I was (mostly) just kidding. I will have to say that Ripley of yours is just drop dead gorgeous...love the green on black.

mtbr member
    Thank you sir!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Name:  DSCN1732.1.JPG
Views: 1808
Size:  45.4 KB

I'm really starting to like this bike

mtbr member

Let's roll Kato !

Black and green for my machine ! Hopefully my boy gets here in a week or two. http://friday87central.files.wordpre...headlights.jpg
    Still searching for my red headed hairdresser Tiffany. "Economic Mother Nature" ... Knocks at door! -AR

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    mtn_bikin_bassplayer - Would really appreciate some feedback on the Xfusion fork (looks like a Trace). Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mtn_bikin_bassplayer View Post
    Incredible bike the way this bike accelerates under power is a game changer for big wheels.
    very stable on tight switch backs. being able to build a 140 front 120 rear 29er at 26 lbs is also
    quite awesome. perfect for the guy who loves enduro and endurance races.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Parking lot impressions

I just picked up my Ripley today, haven't had a chance to ride it yet. Darn work is in the way. It's going to take a few rides to get it dialed. Even though I ordered the flat bars it came with the riser bars, epic LBS is going to swap out when the flat bars come in. Sounds like they are all shipping with hi-fi bars. Cockpit is pretty short, which is no surprise per the numbers. I went with the 140 for stiffness and Specialized Roval carbons. Parking lot ride proves it accelerates like mad. It's going to be a good ride. Helicopter tape goes on tomorrow for BB and down tube then a ton of rides. Front end feels a little tall, trying to work out the stem bar combo to get it right so bars and seat are about the same. Might have to flip or swap out the stem, went with a 80 for now, looks to be 3 or 5 degree rize. Just going to ride it and mess with it as time permits. Fired up. With a bit more rubber, 2.3 Purgatory/ Ground control, Stans, xt build, xtr pedals and carbon wheels it's a shade over 27 lbs. A few lbs heavier than the last 29er I sold but feels lighter and snappy and more playful than expected given the geo. Doesn't feel as slack as the numbers would indicate. Brakes are ridiculous, 1 finger for sure, not as much modulation as the R1's but WAY more stopping power. In retrospect I would of gone 160 front and rear, I don't think the 180 is needed. Clean lines and smooth. Going to give the seat a shot, looks similar to the WTB Silverado I reluctantly sold with my old bike but a rubbery feel. Seems a little cheap with chromo rails. Could work, going to give it a few hundred miles, out of cash for bikes. Happy to be back on Shimano, I don't think I will miss the XX, Shimano just feels more crisp and tighter.

Real ride report after this weekend.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    1st ride report. Short ride after work, tight turn, short rock gardens and short marble climbs.

Bike is pimp, stem height isn't. Too tall climbing I am going to flip it. Does anyone know if the flat bars lower the rise? Going to swap those out when they come in.

The bike is stiff, pretty plush, snappy and solid. It does feel more like a 26" bike in many ways and doesn't feel too slack even with the 140 in the tight turns and is more playful than expected. Front end is still too high. I think the suspension has less stiction, maybe the coating is legit . Bars are a tiny bit wide for me, but not going to cut them since I will be swapping out for the flat bars. I need to re-route the rear brake cable, it makes noise the way it's up when it rattles on the decents. I did put some helicopter tape in a number of areas to keep it nice. The XT brakes are ridiculously strong and have good adjustment, I do have a little rub on the rear, kind of a pain to play with since the Maxle take me a little time to pull out and put back in, need more practice.. The Maxle axle is stiff and the front end is compliant and smooth. It feels like you can rail the bike in the turns. I think the tire combo is good, need some more time on it, Purgatory and Ground Control combo, both 2.3 they are pretty small for a 2.3 or perhaps the 2.35 KnobbyNics are very big. I felt like I could push them pretty hard cornering and desending. I can't tell for climbing... on marble type climbs I got more more wheel spin than expected but the front end is also too high right now. Roval carbon wheels are great, little to no flex in the wheels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You lose 20mm of rise going to flat bars which should help. Curious which model Rovals you have (with or without the bead hooks) ?

Quote Originally Posted by Truckeemtb View Post
    1st ride report. Short ride after work, tight turn, short rock gardens and short marble climbs.

Bike is pimp, stem height isn't. Too tall climbing I am going to flip it. Does anyone know if the flat bars lower the rise? Going to swap those out when they come in.

The bike is stiff, pretty plush, snappy and solid. It does feel more like a 26" bike in many ways and doesn't feel too slack even with the 140 in the tight turns and is more playful than expected. Front end is still too high. I think the suspension has less stiction, maybe the coating is legit . Bars are a tiny bit wide for me, but not going to cut them since I will be swapping out for the flat bars. I need to re-route the rear brake cable, it makes noise the way it's up when it rattles on the decents. I did put some helicopter tape in a number of areas to keep it nice. The XT brakes are ridiculously strong and have good adjustment, I do have a little rub on the rear, kind of a pain to play with since the Maxle take me a little time to pull out and put back in, need more practice.. The Maxle axle is stiff and the front end is compliant and smooth. It feels like you can rail the bike in the turns. I think the tire combo is good, need some more time on it, Purgatory and Ground Control combo, both 2.3 they are pretty small for a 2.3 or perhaps the 2.35 KnobbyNics are very big. I felt like I could push them pretty hard cornering and desending. I can't tell for climbing... on marble type climbs I got more more wheel spin than expected but the front end is also too high right now. Roval carbon wheels are great, little to no flex in the wheels.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have a stem with a -8 degree rise.... Although I am running the 120mm fork. Try a negative rise as it is working really well for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    No bead hook, Specialized Bicycle Components

I did go with Specialized Purgatory and Ground Controls with control casing knowing it would work well with their own wheels. Haven't experimented yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Front end is still too high.
    I was initially surprised at the front end height and angles. I ended up adding a lot more air to the rear shock, which lifted the rear and balanced the bike out nicely without compromising suspension performance at all. YMMV, but I recommend experimenting with pressure. I like my suspension on the soft side, but found Ibis's recommended pressure to be waaay too soft for me. I weigh about 160 ready to ride and am running 165 psi in the rear and 60 psi in the front.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Ride 2:

Flipped my stem, mucho mejor. Ends up looking like a big rise one way and pretty much flat the other way (I thought it would be negative). Much better climbing = happy. Played with suspension today, I don't see myself using the climb mode much, it does pretty well in trail, it will probably be in downhill more often than not in rough terrain. I would use climb on pavement and maybe a fire road... maybe. Bars still feel wide, everything else starting to feel great. Seat feels decent, maybe it will stay. I left my steer tube long as I experiment with stem bar combos, it sure looks stupid sticking way up. Love the stand over height, nice flat section to carry bike when needed. I do have a cable rattle on the left from, I believe it's the rear brake cable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ride 2:

Flipped my stem, mucho mejor. Ends up looking like a big rise one way and pretty much flat the other way (I thought it would be negative). Much better climbing = happy. Played with suspension today, I don't see myself using the climb mode much, it does pretty well in trail, it will probably be in downhill more often than not in rough terrain. I would use climb on pavement and maybe a fire road... maybe. Bars still feel wide, everything else starting to feel great. Seat feels decent, maybe it will stay. I left my steer tube long as I experiment with stem bar combos, it sure looks stupid sticking way up. Love the stand over height, nice flat section to carry bike when needed. I do have a cable rattle on the left from, I believe it's the rear brake cable.
    Nice! Pictures please

I have a medium on order through Competitive Cyclist and I'm really hoping they ship soon. I'll be setting my bike up similar to yours with the 140. In your first post you mentioned the cockpit feeling small, how tall are you?

Thanks again for the ride report!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have 5-6 rides on my new bike now and am well pleased with the purchase. Large, XT build, e-thirteen crank, KS Lev, Float 34 140 fork. I swapped out the handlebar and tires - running a Soma Clarence (like an On-One Mary, but slightly wider) with ergon grips and Hans Dampfs (2.35) front and rear. Local terrain is quite technical, plenty of steep climbing.

I'm coming off a five year affair with a TNT link Turner Sultan. I wanted to try a carbon bike, knew I wanted DW/ mini linkage, and was curious about how a bike with short chainstays/wheelbase would ride. We have a great local shop that sells Ibis, and when I inquired about pricing the deal was too good to pass up.

I am well impressed with what Ibis has done with this bike. The technology is fantastically executed - the bike pedals extremely well while maintaining an alarmingly plush ride. The Ripley is noticeably more nimble than the Sultan. Super quick, responsive handling. Solid, predictable traction when climbing both in and out of the saddle. My Ripley weighs in around 29 lbs, but feels very light.

Even with the 140 fork, I find the ride almost (almost) twitchy. I think this is a function of coming off a frame with very stable geometry. I just installed an angleset, slackening the head angle another degree. Haven't had much saddle time yet, but an initial spin suggests that the slacker angle seems to take the edge off the slight twitchy feeling for me while maintaining a playful, nimble feel.

A couple nitpicks - cable routing (as noted by Truckeemtb) leads to cable rattle. I put some silicone tape around the cables in targeted areas (particularly the bundle above the shock) and that seems to have quieted things down. Internal cables still make some noise occasionally despite the long zip-tie trick. Front derailleur setup was persnickety - absolutely couldn't get the xt FD to play nice with the e-13 crank with the shifter in 2-speed mode. Turned the screw on the shifter to 3-speed, reset cable tension and oddly enough, it now shifts fine. The shop tech and I look forward to discussing further with Ibis when they come to town for demo day. Curious if others have had issues?

I have some helicopter tape arriving today and look forward to plastering my frame with the stuff. Also interested in cyto's frame guard if/when it comes available. Stock wheel set (and the supplied tires!) is an insult to the frame. Pending the sale of my Sultan, I plan to replace the speedtune/arches with light-bicycle.com carbon rims on King hubs.

I was worried the Ripley would be too "xc" oriented for my needs, but am pleased to report that with the 34 140 and some real tires, the bike seems to handle chunky all mountain terrain with aplomb.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Good stuff I am aiming to hammer mine through more AM trails. Finished building tonight and first ride tomorrow. What is the zip tie trick? Although I am running my lev cable internally and rear derailleur. No front mech so don't know if that will make any difference. I'm coming from an SB95 if this matches that bike on DH's and climbs as well as everyone reports then happy days.

Interesting you mention the angleset as I was going to go for that but the guys at ibis said try it as it is first.... we will see

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I did about 30 miles yesterday and it was awesome! the fit is almost perfect. and the miles are just eaten up! and, I can pretty much just monster truck over whatever I want!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Only one ride but I am blown away by it, very quick, nimble and capable. More fun than any other 29er I have ridden instead of numbing the trail it makes them come alive.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Ride 3, first "real ride"

This was the first real ride, starting to bond with the bike, suspension and getting it dialed. Climbed great, front end may still be a tad high, going to ride it more going back and forth on the flat bars (ordered with flat, came with hi-fi). I am 5'9" 150 lbs and some change until I get back in shape. I added more air front and rear. 140 rear and 60 lb front, seems about right.

I am going to have to shorten the rear brake line, too long and rubbing on other cables.

Super glad I went for the 140 fork, stiff, supple and nice travel. For some reason the bike still feels very nimble, I was worried it would be too slacked out, it's not. Sounds corny but it rides more like a 26", good acceleration out of turn, good on jumps more neutral feeling.

I think the larger axles make a difference with flex or lack of... it's not just marketing.

I really wanted xtr but went with xt and upgraded the wheels. I am riding the Roval Control Carbon wheels, they are GREAT, smooth and stiff. I am VERY pleased with this choice.

Other than brake cable I still need to dial in stem bar height. I think I could keep it the way it is, bar is still a little high compared to seat. I don't want a negative rise stem, the 3 or 5 degree 80 mm upside down is fairly flat, which I like visually, might even have a slight rise. The flat bars would drop me 20 mm, might be too far. Not sure yet. Happy with the Purgatory and Ground Control 2.3 combo. Seems to roll decent, corners well and climbs well, let's see how they wear.

The last thing I am not convinced with is the bars, I am small, they are wide, too wide I think. I am going to give them and handful more rides and decide if I am keeping them or going flat. If I keep them I am likely to cut them down to 710 or a tad wider. I found myself hitting trees on tight sections and chocking in with my hand 1/3 of an inch of so on both sides!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    What I found works well is adding a little over the recommended air and then using the descent setting front and rear when pointing down and trail for everything else. Which is interesting as descent with ctd on other bikes always makes it blow straight through but with the ripley it gives a nice plush ride.

mtbr member

First ride today

Loved it. Climbs great but I did miss a few hills. Going from a rigid 26 inch SS to the Ripley was a real treat needless to say. I found myself going way faster than mom would approve of ! The fork I ordered was the 120 and both Soares and LG man swear its a 140? Here is a pic. It's 21.5 inches long and the exposed travel area is 5.5 inches. If you pull on it I'm sure its slightly more than 5.5 inches ... maybe we just call it 6 inches? ... Anyone know which it is? Ripley ride report-0526131352.jpg
    Last edited by ancient rascal; 05-26-2013 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Can't leave well enough alone !

mtbr member
    Looks like a 140 to me, but you can just let all of the air out of the fork, compress and see how much travel it maxes out at.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    140mm= 5.5118 inches... These bikes seem to be right at home with a 140-- so maybe the fate gods were looking out for ya

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Sure looks like a 140mm. Is it a 34mm stanchion and 552.8mm A2C? I sure liked the way the demo bike handled with a 140mm fork.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal View Post
    Loved it. Climbs great but I did miss a few hills. Going from a rigid 26 inch SS to the Ripley was a real treat needless to say. I found myself going way faster than mom would approve of ! The fork I ordered was the 120 and both Soares and LG man swear its a 140? Here is a pic. It's 21.5 inches long and the exposed travel area is 5.5 inches. If you pull on it I'm sure its slightly more than 5.5 inches ... maybe we just call it 6 inches? ... Anyone know which it is? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0526131352.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	802655
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ben, keep in mind that the 140 is much more expensive, maybe a 2 bills and some change . Maybe I'll change mine to a 120 and we could swap...win win

mtbr member
    Loved it. Climbs great but I did miss a few hills. Going from a rigid 26 inch SS to the Ripley was a real treat needless to say. I found myself going way faster than mom would approve of ! The fork I ordered was the 120 and both Soares and LG man swear its a 140? Here is a pic. It's 21.5 inches long and the exposed travel area is 5.5 inches. If you pull on it I'm sure its slightly more than 5.5 inches ... maybe we just call it 6 inches? ... Anyone know which it is? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0526131352.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	802655
    Congratulations on your new Bike. Hope to see you out on Kennedy soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassn View Post
    Ben, keep in mind that the 140 is much more expensive, maybe a 2 bills and some change . Maybe I'll change mine to a 120 and we could swap...win win
    "Bassn Build Saver" Won't soon forget your phone call letting me know I should order the large instead of the medium. Thanks man ... Large is perfect for me at 5 11' ish. Payback to be determined but one will be coming bro! Me thinks I just leave it alone no matter what it is as it looks good and the first click into trail mode is all the plush I can imagine ever needing. Also ... The onslaught of verbal abuse for trading it out from riding buds would be horrible to live with. Thanks to you and Smilerz for test riding them as that sealed the deal on my decision! That 1x11 is so smooth into the last 3 to 42 ... you can't even hear it shift. Coming from a SS ... Of course I love it.
    Last edited by ancient rascal; 05-28-2013 at 09:25 AM. Reason: can't leave well enough alone!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smilerz View Post
    Congratulations on your new Bike. Hope to see you out on Kennedy soon.
    Hell yeah Smilerz ! So we gonna have one Ripper in Pastel blue / ur's and one Green hornet black / mine ... for your upcoming Skeegs birthday ride? ...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Ripley Tahoe

quick review:
    L ripley, ibis xt build w/ 140, e13, lev.

changes, my seat, 70mm 0degree easton stem, my grips, and the big one, spec roval control carbon wheels.

past rides: 4 full, milage intensive years on my last favorite bike, cdale rize, 24lbs w/ 140mm and 1x9, rode it hard to podium in dville AM expert vet
    then,
    it was getting dated, and i wanted to try 29r, so cdale scalpel. didn't work well for me, kept a few mo and sold, then borrowed my buddies stumpy M, 29er over the winter, as I store it for him. good bike, I was drawn to M, a I think smaller 29ers feel better. which is why i decided on ripley, geo was on smaller side in L, and shorter wheelbase seemed right.

So, my first couple days were tough. 2 big things to adjust to, 1, the tweaks they did w/ the offset made steering odd for me and an adjustment, and anti squat on climbs was much more then I usually like.

but,
    as I bonded w/ steering, got the suspension pressures right, and kept bike fully open in D mode, things started coming together. as so many have said, this ride climbs like an xc bike, but it descends like a super playful, trailbike that is fun to jump (xc type jumps), and super forgiving. also, the cliche, and ibis's goal, it does steer much quicker like a 26er, but has the forgiving roll over a the 2 9. the last 1.5 hrs after a few hours bonding have been GREAT.

I love the 34fork. i felt the biggest negative of my buddies stumpy 29 was the 32 fork in the 130. it was far less active under braking as it was binding w/ the flex. the 34 is just sweet!

brakes, I don't like the look of the blingy levers, but the brakes are awsome. love 'em.

Lev, jury is still out. first dropper, and love the idea, just don't like when it doesn't work. a couple of no move moments that take coaxiing.

xt shifting, not a fan. clickier then my x0 i've loved, front shifting is terrible, as poster said above. got it to work w/ the switch to 3 speed, but you have to push twice. will continue to tweak and have mechanic look at.

Wheels! love 'em! best spec choice and just roll great, stiff, precise, light. maybe 90-95% of enve for half the price.

tires, spec purgatory 2.3, ground control 2.3, great. liking them on the rovals, dropped to 22lbs, and feel solid.

suspension: plush descending, active but solid platform climbing (more then my favorite bikes, but I think I'll adjust)

this bike is a winner and keeper. when I don't love a bike, I adios w/i a few months, but like my last fav, when it works, I put in 4 -5 years, and I hope this summer sells me on keeping this one. If this is not the one after a full season, it means i'm probably done w/ 2 9ers, as this is the best one made for me.

first ibis, and I likey. nice work nor cal frame company, and props to LBS, olympic in tahoe city. great service, great knowlege.

thx,
    Holiday
    Last edited by holiday; 05-28-2013 at 07:47 PM. Reason: pressure

mtbr member
    Hell yeah Smilerz ! So we gonna have one Ripper in Pastel blue / ur's and one Green hornet black / mine ... for your upcoming Skeegs birthday ride? ...
    Not sure AR if I will get a Ripley. I like the 26 Mojo so much, I think I will try to get a carbon 29er hard tail to ride for a change of pace, however who knows I will probably change my mind again. Glad you got one and you like it,if I didn't have the 26 Mojo I would definitely get one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Ibis Ripley med photos as requested by someone

Ripley ride report-2013-05-26-10.23.34.jpgRipley ride report-2013-05-29-13.32.03.jpgRipley ride report-2013-05-29-13.32.27.jpgRipley ride report-2013-05-29-13.31.57.jpgRipley ride report-2013-05-29-13.32.20.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality pics. Ibis size Med. XT with Specialized Roval Control Carbon wheels, 2.3 Purgatory and 2.3 Ground control. Still a work in progress. And it's progressing well. Love it. It's officially my favorite bike I have had, out of a whole bunch of bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Sorry for the poor quality pics. Ibis size Med. XT with Specialized Roval Control Carbon wheels, 2.3 Purgatory and 2.3 Ground control. Still a work in progress. And it's progressing well. Love it. It's officially my favorite bike I have had, out of a whole bunch of bikes.
    Nice pics.........just wondering if you could see yourself riding the Large Frame?

I'm 5'9" too, trying to decide between the MD and LRG.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I guess it depends on your inseam. I am ridding with my buddy tomorrow and he happens to have the exact same bike in a large. I can give it a shot. I have a smaller inseam and feel great on the med. Probably depends on what kind of riding you do too. I am going to ride his for a few tomorrow.

I guess your local trails and riding style will impact your decision too.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    i have a 29" inseam and am totally comfortable on my large. I have a long torso - 5'10".

mtbr member
    May 2011
    32" Inseam...keep thinking a large.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I am thinking large too, what does Hans at Ibis say? My inseam is probably less than 30. You are right on the boarder. Large will give you some more reach which is pretty short, then you can run a short stem and be on the money and have a short stem like all the cool kids. I am running the ibis 80 mm and am going to swap out for a 70 mm with the hi fi bars. I originally ordered lo bars but it came with hi. Might just keep the hi's. 20 mm of drop with the lo's might be too much.

mtbr member
    Very nice truckeemtb, I didn't know mediums were available. They must be few and far between.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast