tg
    mtbr member

Ripley as a race/trail bike

So I took a demo Ripley out for a test ride today and loved it. I did not think having a race bike and a trail bike all in one was doable but I think Ibis nailed it! Any riders on the Ripley for both race/trail care to share some feedback for this type of use.

mtbr member
    i will be runnin it as a trail/racer. maybe just a separate set of light wheels and a highend well thought out light but durable build (that's what I'm going for) an you'll easily have a 24lb bike on race day an prolly a 25lb bike to really rip up the trails..
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Personally I think it depends on the course and type of racing. For a short (under 2 hour) XC race, a 29er HT seems the way to go. But anything endurance I think the Ripley will shine. I"m planning on using mine for the upcoming Breck Epic and Cape Epic races.

tg
    mtbr member
    Hardtail not an option for my 50 year old back. Most of the racing I do is under 3 hours but I am looking for a bike that will be a good Fruita/ western Colo./race rig all in one. Been on Turners for years and dig em but I think the sultan would be to heavy for racing.The Ripley seems to have it all even with a 140 out front.
    Last edited by tg; 07-03-2013 at 09:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I"m in the same situation back wise - my 44 year old back can no longer handle a HT for more than an hour. I agree that the ripley set up right will be light enough. Especially with a nice set of wheels.

The Crow
    Interesting comment by Dave Weagle here:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/ar...esigner-37738/

"I look at each bike on its own merits. We design for feel. I sit down with the companies and discuss feel. For example, an Ibis Ripley; the desired feel is probably closer to the 80mm Salsa Spearfish than it is to the 120mm Salsa Horsethief. I really try to boil it down to the desired trail feel."
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

mtbr member
    I think it can be done. I rode my 120mm Ripley in a 12 hour race and it was fantastic. She has been doing great on all my local fast downhills as well. Its really been do it all bike for me. Consider playing with the different fork lengths in the front to find the best fit. I don't think there is a true 'do it all' bike out there, but the Ripley comes pretty close for me.