mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Ripley questions for Ibis (Hans?)

Want a carbon 29er for my next bike. Had been looking at a carbon RIP 9 to replace my aluminum one, until I read about the Ripley. Looks like just what I need. Always wanted a DW link bike, but with eccentrics? So simple and compact. That's too cool. I agree with Hans that tires and fork choice make a big difference on how a bike feels on the trail. That why I'm going to run Purgatory 2.4 on flows f/r, with the new Pike. Any chance that fork will be an option in the future? How about a rear shock from Rock Shox? Doesn't look like a stealth dropper will work (cable or hose coming out of bottom of post) in the Ripley frame, but that would be cool too. I'm running 1X 10 (I'll never go back to a fd) so getting the dropper line inside the frame would be even cleaner. Also will the most popular "color", Matte Clear over carbon, as on Mojo SL, be offered in the future? The black with green highlights looks good, and I wouldn't complain if I won the flow bike, but I like black. Finally, would like to know what stem length Brian runs on his Ripley for Enduro. I'm close to his size and would be getting a large also. Just curious what he likes. Ibis seems to be a great company that is very connected to its customers. Looking forward to getting a Ripley. Sorry for the long post.

It's the axle
    I was also going to contact Ibis about getting Ripleys without the lime color.

I want pure stealth black. Come on, Ibis!
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    From Brian:

"For the enduro I rode a medium size Ripley with a 60mm stem. I feel with that with the larger wheels the medium fit me better than the large for more aggressive riding. It was easier to get the front end up and whip the bike around with less effort."

We don't stock the Pike, but hear it's good. You can delete the fork from a build kit and get a credit if there's another fork you'd prefer that we don't offer. Just ask your dealer.
    Probably not on the stealth dropper install. The eccentrics are pretty much in the way.
    The black with green stripes is predominantly matte clear over carbon. What color would you prefer it to be where the green graphics are? Gray? Light Black ; )

H
    Last edited by hanssc; 05-25-2013 at 10:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Gray is my favorite color. That would look good. Light black, ha. I'll take the eccentrics over a stealth dropper any day. My KS Lev is great even with exposed cable. Never have a trail bike without one. Good to know about the fork credit. Brian rides a med and lg? Thought he was about 5'10"? Interesting. Thanks for your reply Hans (also my brother's name)

It's the axle
    Hans, I'd really like to see something similar to the original Mojo in terms of one color scheme. If the Ripley is matte clear over carbon on the whole bike, I think it would be cool.

Also, I imagine you guys put a lot of time into where the cable routing goes, BUT, t sure seems like it needs help from what I'm reading on the forum. And I am guessing that routing on the top tube was something you guys wanted to get away from. But it sure seems like it would solve the issues people are having. The cables right now are all linear, and create a situation where there's movement along their axis. By running along the top of the top tube, it gives a curve (like the Mojos) where there's a small area of free cable that can flex rather than translate.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Ripley questions for Ibis (Hans?)

I vote for Grey Love the subtle look of my Matte HD.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Another vote for matte clear with gray accents as an option for the Ripley. Understated, letting the lines of the frame and the ride speak for itself, in the same way as my HD!

aka dan51
    I'd love to see the primer grey and the poo brown the SL originally came in. Those were the best bike colors ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    1 vote for Flat carbon no color added... That would look soooo badass--plus would make it just that much easier for your painters... Id even love no graphics on the bike-- just the bronze ibis plaque on the front=perfect..

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    No color would be perfect. With the Ripley and Ibis names where they are, but in gloss black or, reflective black. Had a bike like that. Couldn't see the graphics until the light hit it. Glow in the dark lettering would be interesting, but maybe to much. While we're at it, head badge in anodized black or stainless. Subtle yet distinctive. My vote is only names in gloss black (of course DW included), with black head badge. I'd buy two. One to ride. Frame the other and hang on the wall. That would be a beautiful frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hans, also thanks for asking Brian about his setup. Nice to know what the really good riders like, even though some of us might not be able to use it to the same level. Hope he wins an Enduro race, or several, so people can stop debating if he used the right bike. He is racing against the best in the world and still placed high on a bike that he hasn't ride as much as his HD. Very impressive.

mtbr member
    I like options like anyone, but think the black matte with the "green" should've been with "vitamin P"... that would be sick. And look really nice next to my HD!
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp