mtbr member

Ripley or PYGA industries?

Ok, so i am kinda burning to buy a 29er, still not sure if it the right thing as I dont know how trail ready they are...

but I can either wait untill the Ripley is ready... or I can get a PYGA Industries (Also known as Patric Morewoods new company who started Morewood)

PYGA Industries » ONETEN29 » PYGA Industries

Any ideas or thoughts ? there is no way to ride on first either...

mtbr member
    Oh, there are definitely some FULLY trail ready FS 29ers on the market already.... the Ripley won't be the first. I've done a couple of good hard rides on a Pivot Mach 429 and that bike is straight up without a doubt incredible, and there are lots of local hammers in my neighborhood swearing by their Sultans, Tallboys, and various Specialized 29ers.
    I'm ignorant when it comes to PYGA, but it sure looks like it has the goods... can you test ride one? The travel and geo seem to be right on the money for a good do it all 29er trail bike... SHORT chainstays, that's nice. There's a pretty big jump in TT length between the size M & L. May not be an issue for you, but if I were considering one that would be a bit of a tough decision.... they straddle my ideal size, but that's what the test ride is for.

mtbr member
    I may get to ride the ripley if I ask Hans really nicely next week. It looks so incredible, and it will be out later this year I think. It's crazy how well designed it is. I would wait, it has so many cool new features that you won't see on other 29ers. I am not a 29er fan at all, but I may get this one.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies .... both are really nice looking machines... suppose we need to see what price the Riply comes in at ....The PYGA comes in at $4300
    that Ripley about $6000 (if i take it about the same as my mojo)

That is what bikes cost here ...

The Crow
    As much as it saddens me to say I have to fess that the Ripley is not a good looking bike for me. The PYGA looks like an absolute ripper.

Do get an honest opinion you'd have to wait till both have been ridden in anger.
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Come on IBIS show us what you got!!!

The Pyga looks really stunning and the specs are promissing. Two of my favourites at the moment

mtbr member
    yea Im really leaning towards the Pyga , Im a big fan of Patrick Morwood, and cause it is built locally, it is somewhat cheaper...

But I love my Mojo and I am scared to rule out the ibis offering ....

The Crow
    I take it you've seen this:

"Delivery Update: The Ripley 29 is currently in development, prototype testing is going extremely well. Our next announcement about the Ripley 29 will be when it is ready to ship. We anticipate that will be sometime in the second half of 2012. We'll release all the final details then: pricing, sizing, colors, geometry, components, etc.
    In the mean time, we're working very hard to get it in your hands as fast as we can."
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboy66 View Post
    Come on IBIS show us what you got!!!

The Pyga looks really stunning and the specs are promissing. Two of my favourites at the moment
    On the ibis website they show you what its going to look like.

mtbr member
    Both the Ibis Ripley and the Pyga Oneten are on my most wanted list. Both bikes have unique suspension systems and short chainstays. Carbon fiber Ripley or aluminum Oneten, weight could be an issue for some, for me it comes down to the numbers. We don't yet know all Ripley's numbers but from what I see this bike maybe more on the xc side while the Oneten is more on the trail side. Depending on set up both bikes could probably do double duty quite easily, conquering both the xc and trail applications. I am leaning towards the Oneten, probably because I have their numbers, with slack HA and SA this bike look like it could be a lot of fun to ride. It will be interesting to see who shows up to the dance first and what the ride reviews reveal. Either way I believe both bikes will be awesome.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    If the PYGA was carbon I'd be all over it.
    Except being in South Africa would be a bummer for customer service. On a related note I had two shipments to SA disappear this week sent express international with tracking. Lost.

mtbr member
    Weston..... Shipping to SA is always a problem....but never had a problem shipping out. And Sa has trade relations with the EU, so Pyga frames in the EU will be the same price as in SA.

The Pyga is ahead in my vote ATM, but I still I feel I should wait, perhaps 650b is the real answer and not 29.

Buddy is getting a PYGA in the next 2 months, so will ride his and see what it's like, hopefully ibis will have a few demos out as well .

The Crow
    Quote Originally Posted by DH_WP View Post
    The Pyga is ahead in my vote ATM, but I still I feel I should wait, perhaps 650b is the real answer and not 29
    Yes and yes.

IMO Ibis' biggest concern will be where to position the Ripley in terms of marketing / perception if it leans more towards being a ripper.

1. They can do with a XC / Marathon / Slight Trail bike in their line-up
    2. They already have four rippers in their line-up.

I'm sure they have a 5 and 10 year plan so whatever they do will make sense in the long run.
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West

MK_
    carpe mañana
    The PYGA looks like it uses a Trek suspension layout.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho