mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ripley - plush enough?

Close to pulling the trigger on a Ripley, but recently took a ride on a Niner RIP9 and was truly impressed by the linear, plush suspension feel on that bike. Curious if folks have any feedback on the Ripley DW vs the RIP9 CVA. Local riding is really rugged, and I'd build the Ripley with the Fox 34 and meaty tires. Just slightly concern that the suspension is designed to be more stiff and/or progressive than I'd prefer. Thoughts?

It's the axle
    One has 100mm, the other has 120mm. Besides, I am sure the Ripley can be tuned in a number of ways.

Also, i think I saw someone who demoed both bikes somewhere on this forum. You might do some searching.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I haven't ridden a RIP9, but I did own a WFO9 and the Ripley I have is definitely more plush than it was. It's not that the WFO has bad, it is just that the Ripley is so smooth. I honestly think the Ripley might be the best bike I've owned period.

mtbr member
    Think you ought to consider the Yeti SB95C as well.
    Ridin' & Diggin'

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The Rip RDO and Ripley are both 120mm bikes....very similar.

It's the axle
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    The Rip RDO and Ripley are both 120mm bikes....very similar.
    Whoops. I did it again. I was thinking of the Jet.

I guess the Ripley excitement has me in a tizzy.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

evan
    I been riding a rip 9 for two years and its a fantastic bike. I would not call it plush on big hits. I rode a ripley for two days ,and have time on the turner sultan as well. the way the DW link works on technical terrain is more plush in my opinion. The way it accelerates when under power is also very noticeable compared to the rip. The DW link on both bikes "to me" feel like more travel than the rip.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Couldn't agree more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'd be interested to see a comparison between the new Rip9 RDO and Ripley and not the old Rip model.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    many thanks for the feedback. I'm on an older Sultan now, and have a buddy that recently picked up a newer DW link Sultan. Been test riding the DW sultan back-to-back with another buddy's RIP 9, and have generally found the Sultan to "stand up" better when pedaling and the RIP to feel a little plusher, but there are a few setup differences that complicate the comparison. I grew tired of the indecision and pulled the trigger on the Ripley today - I've been watching Ibis put this together for a long time and appreciate the opportunity to support my local shop who sells Ibis. Looking forward to the new ride for sure!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    You made the right decision

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I demo'd the Ripley for two days - one short ride and the other a day long all over ride...

When you stand up and pedal there is no noticeable pedal bob... NICE, so I was expecting a harsher ride than my softly set up TallBoy.... how wrong I was, it was very plush, so much so that I put in my order when I returned the demo bike.

I currently think this bike is the best of both worlds... great climber and plush...
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusJackSlade View Post
    I demo'd the Ripley for two days - one short ride and the other a day long all over ride...

When you stand up and pedal there is no noticeable pedal bob... NICE, so I was expecting a harsher ride than my softly set up TallBoy.... how wrong I was, it was very plush, so much so that I put in my order when I returned the demo bike.

I currently think this bike is the best of both worlds... great climber and plush...
    Care to elaborate a little further on how you found the ride versus your tallboy? Handling, geometry, sizing, etc?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I haven't ridden a TallboyC, but I did own a LTc for several months and now have a Ripley.

I would say the suspension design on the Ripley is superior to that of the LTc for pedaling and out of the saddle efforts, it literally does not bob with pedal input, kinda freaky how well it works honestly. I also think the Ripley feels more supple and sensitive to small bumps where as the LTc reminded me of a 72 Cadillac.

Geometry wise (both size large) I feel like the Ripley has you more over the rear wheel and behind the bars, versus the LTc where I felt more equal between the two. I personally prefer being more rearward especially while descending.

Both bikes are freakishly light for what they are, essentially equal there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have the same dilemma.... Ripley vs. Jet9. I like the 120mm fork option with the light xc weight. It seems like the best of both worlds. Jet9 has awesome credibility while the new Ripley claims have me excited.

Living the Dream
    Colin, did you say you had a spider comp as well? That is the bike that is in competition with the Ripley right now for my next bike. I love DW as I have been on a Sultan for the past 4 years, but I like the GEO of the Spider Comp better than the Ripley. I would be interested in your thoughts on the two bikes. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    I haven't ridden a TallboyC, but I did own a LTc for several months and now have a Ripley.

I would say the suspension design on the Ripley is superior to that of the LTc for pedaling and out of the saddle efforts, it literally does not bob with pedal input, kinda freaky how well it works honestly. I also think the Ripley feels more supple and sensitive to small bumps where as the LTc reminded me of a 72 Cadillac.

Geometry wise (both size large) I feel like the Ripley has you more over the rear wheel and behind the bars, versus the LTc where I felt more equal between the two. I personally prefer being more rearward especially while descending.

Both bikes are freakishly light for what they are, essentially equal there.
    Last edited by Alpenglow; 04-22-2013 at 06:33 PM. Reason: spelling
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Sent you a PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    Sent you a PM.
    Feel free to post here too!

mtbr member
    Collin,

I'm also interested in your thoughts between the Spider Comp and the Ripley. Like Alpenglow, I am coming off a DW Sultan (having owned a Mojo in the past). I like the geometry of the Spider Comp better, but I like the looks of the Ripley and of course, the DW link.
    Turner Sultan
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Ducati M1100s
    Husaberg TE 250
    KTM 300
    RD 400

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    From another thread:

Well I've owned the LTc, SB95 and now the Ripley.

The Ripley for me is my "one bike to rule them all" as I tend to keep the drops and jumps under 3ft and it pedals so damn well. Literally if you turn the crank, the bike is going forward whether it be uphill/downhill/flat ground. This is the best pedaling bike I've ever ridden, period. It is almost freaky how quick it is to be honest. I couldn't believe how fast I was on my "home trail" today and I don't think I gave up anything on the descents. The 120mm of travel feels like much more because it is so well executed. It is hardtail fast when you pedal, in or out of the saddle, and supple to the max on the downs.

I liked the SB95 I had, but nothing about it really wowed me to be honest. It was heavy and very middle of the road. I do think that the sb95c however should really propel it to true "super bike " status.

The LTc, although the Geo chart would mislead, really likes to be pointed downhill and was very easy to pop off jumps and felt very comfortable in the air. On the downside, it pedaled like it wanted to be pointed downhill

So to sum it up...if you desire a trail bike, get the Ripley. It will take the drops and will grab some air if you desire it. I'm just not that type of rider, but Brian Lopes just rode one to a 9th place finish on the DH course at Sea Otter against numerous DH Bikes. Not too shabby for a 120mm 29er.

The Ripley is the best bike I've owned and I wouldn't give it up to get the LTc or SB95 back. The DW link feels similar to the switch link on the Yeti, but is better executed IMO as the Yeti seemed to blow through travel and wasn't as supple on the rocks/roots. I think the carbon version will address the weight issue, but I still prefer the Ripley's DW link to the Yeti's switch.

Comparison to the Spider Comp:
    Things I think are better about the Spider are that it has more tire clearance, slacker geo, slightly higher BB, ISCG mounts and more shock options (you could run a DBair if you felt so inclined).

I am going to be selling my size Medium Spider Comp though as I also have a Banshee Prime and things are getting pretty redundant and crowded in the garage.

Both the Ripley and Spider pedal well with a slight edge to the Ripley although I never tried the Spider in the shorter travel setting so who knows and its marginal at best difference.

Ripley is slightly lighter than the Spider in terms of frame weight. Ripley has a shorter wheelbase than the Spider < 1 inch difference though. The Ripley also seems to position you more over the rear wheel than the Spider and in turn feels more comfortable descending to me.

Overall between the two bikes the Ripley suits my riding style more closely.

mtbr member
    Thanks Colin
    Turner Sultan
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Ducati M1100s
    Husaberg TE 250
    KTM 300
    RD 400

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have owned a Mojo, spent tons of time on an HD, owned a Sultan and spent lots of time on a few pivots. I currently own an Rip and a Jet9 Rdo. For me the CVA is more plus all around while still being firm enough (I weight 220). I am looking at the Ripley as well but for me CVA is far more plush feeling. Again, tuning etc have a ton to do with it

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    To me, plush and supple are different. Soaking up trail chatter, rocks, roots etc... to me is supple. Plush is more travel dependent, like my old Lenz Lunchbox. 1972 Cadillac El Dorado style. I don't correlate plush with efficiency usually, but it is a smooth roller coaster ride and usually a ton of fun

I've never ridden a Rip or Jet9 RDO, but I did own a WFO and I think the Ripley is more supple. Of course you can't compare a WFO to a Jet9 RDO, but like you said it could be mainly tuning/shock related.

If you are considering a Ripley, you owe yourself a Demo. I've got a feeling that you'll be placing an order for one as soon as you get back to the shop