Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,100 of 1102
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have the original 2014 Fox Factory 34 140mm fork from my V1 Ripley for sale if anyone is interested. I swapped it for a 130mm revelation since I'm in FL and we don't really have any descents lol.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Ripley glamour shots

Ok, so I washed my bike and put some new tires on a few weeks ago and snapped some pics. Finally getting them up here.
    Ripley Picture and Build Thread-p9041556-2-.jpgRipley Picture and Build Thread-p9041557-2-.jpgRipley Picture and Build Thread-full.jpg
    Ripley Picture and Build Thread-p9041560.jpgRipley Picture and Build Thread-p9041561.jpg
    and one action shot
    Ripley Picture and Build Thread-palisaderim.jpg
    I'll have to get a more action-y action shot
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Beautiful bike DLD. Simple, Clean and looks fast....
    I too use flat bar..feel better on climb.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

NEW OG Ripley

My New OG Ripley and old OG Ripley. Old one is for sale, new BB and new XT 1x11 added. Its in great shape, size large.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ripley Picture and Build Thread-ripley.jpg  

Ripley Picture and Build Thread-ripley1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Here's my recently built Ripley.

Ibis Ripley LS by Dr. la bOoLe, on Flickr

Ibis Ripley LS by Dr. la bOoLe, on Flickr

MattyK
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by inter View Post
    I was there too ride with Loic Bruni and saw you. I was on my blue Ripley as well.
    but did not go the whole route, as my friend got a flat and mechanical.
    did Loic do some jumps?
    How awesome is that Ripley with the 36 fork? That's an idea I've been playing around with these days!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

New LS

Picked up a new Ripley LS last week. Went with the Pike RCT set at 140, reverb post and some custom wheels (Easton ARC rims). It was a custom build by the shop using X1 drive train to save a few bucks that is fine with me. So far so good. I was expecting a great descender but the climbing ability is amazing.

Coming from an aluminum Giant Anthem X the first thing i noticed was the frame stiffness...wow!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ripley Picture and Build Thread-ibis1-1-.jpg  

mtbr member
    ^^^ Great looking bike. The orange color is so much more stunning in person, too!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Any advice on how many spacers I should use under my stem? I am 6ft tall and this is my first bike build.

mtbr member
    I'm using 20mm.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    I'm using 20mm.

Is this a record for the same frame yet?
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    My Following owns the record, bit the Ripley will break it for sure. Still digging the M3?

mtbr member
    You need to try out for yourself. Just try with as as many as you can fit and then shift the stem downwards to find the best position. Be aware that the reach changes with bar height too, meaning that you might end up with a different stem length as you find your optimal bar height.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    My Following owns the record, bit the Ripley will break it for sure. Still digging the M3?

Yes, went to a local bike park a few weeks ago. While I praised my TBc for being quick through the fast bermed switchbacks, I definitely noticed it was much easier on the M3. At the same time, on my boring rides right by my house, I'm not feeling held back by the smaller wheels.

There always that little bit of wondering in the back of the head.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quick question, as said before this is my first build and am installing the chain next, I am running a 30t in the front and 1X11 (11-40) in the rear on a large frame. I am seeing that should use 2 extra links and in some cases 4 extra links, Any advice would be great, thanks.

mtbr member
    Deflate the rear shock. Compress the suspension completely. Wrap chain around the largest rear chainring front chainring. Add a link to accommodate the rear derailleur, "cut" excess links with a chain tool and bingo: a properly installed chain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by homey View Post
    Deflate the rear shock. Compress the suspension completely. Wrap chain around the largest rear chainring front chainring. Add a link to accommodate the rear derailleur, "cut" excess links with a chain tool and bingo: a properly installed chain.
    Take it am not running the chain through the rear derailleur.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jidherrera View Post
    Take it am not running the chain through the rear derailleur.
    That's right. Wrap big to big. That's the max length you will need. The derailleur takes care of the excess if that makes sense. The 4 links will be more than enough for the Ripley's suspension but what homey describes is the proper way to size a chain.

You might be able to get away with 2 but as you will discover the Ripley climbs like a goat and soon enough you will be installing a 32t front chainring.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wsp4me23 View Post
    Finally took the plunge. Was on fence betwewn hd3 and ripley and "settled" on xtr/xx1 ripley build with ibis 941 wheels and next sl. Could not pass up the deal I got it for. Happy with my decion and first 29er. Coming from a 26" Ventana (not going anywhere anytime soon though)

First make it my own mods, selle italia reissue nubuck flite and vans/odi grips. Need the db inline serviced (gurgling under compression) and ks lev dx dropper has some saddle play. Have read much about both these known issues and will sort em out soon enough. Aside from that, I am loving it so far. Really is a beast on ascents. I am not the strongest climber and this bike sure does help mask some of my deficiencies. Everything I read about this bike being a nimble 29er hold true. Looking forward to pushing the bike and my own skills. Chose the ripley after heavily considering a niner rip 9 xtr build. In end, the ripley geometry fit me better.

Probably will swap this huge tire for something less aggressive. Seems overkill and wasted weight.

Anyway, glad to be apart of the ripley ownership and look fwd to learning/sharing

Looks like you have Maxxis DHR2 out back. Is it a 2.3" or 2.4 WT? I have a 2.5" DHF up front and would like to pair it with 2.4" DHR2 in rear for winter. I have boost in back but I figured if it fits your original geometry then it should fit my Ripley LS.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I replied to your pm, but will post here too. Sorry it is just a 2.3

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Anyone getting a creaking coming from somewhere around the bottom bracket? Noticed it on my first ride with the new frame.

mtbr member
    Check your eccentrics, they probably are dry.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I did on my original with the pfbb but nothing on my new one with the threaded bb.

I had a blur with a threaded bb that creaked a lot. Swapped the bb and it solved the problem.

mtbr member
    I've had creaking under power on my LS with the threaded BB, it was the lower eccentrics. A little grease and it's been dead silent since.

Moosehead

Ripley Picture and Build Thread

Large Ripley LS, Boost 148 - Black Friday
    Fox 34 130mm
    Wheelset: Ibis 935 Rims, Hope Pro Hubs, Schwalbe NN 235F/225R
    Rear Deraileur/Shifter: Sram XO
    Brakes: Shimano XT, Rotors 203F/180R
    Crankset: Race Face Turbine 170mm, 28T Ring, XTR SPD Pedals
    Cassette: SRAM 10-42
    Cockpit: Raceface fixed post, Thomson 50mm stem, Ibis Lo Fi 740mm, Ibis Saddle, Lizardskin grips
    Weight with pedals: 26 lbs 11 ozs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by moosehead View Post

Large Ripley LS, Boost 148 - Black Friday
    Fox 34 130mm
    Wheelset: Ibis 935 Rims, Hope Pro Hubs, Schwalbe NN 235F/225R
    Rear Deraileur/Shifter: Sram XO
    Brakes: Shimano XT, Rotors 203F/180R
    Crankset: Race Face Turbine 170mm, 28T Ring, XTR SPD Pedals
    Cassette: SRAM 10-42
    Cockpit: Raceface fixed post, Thomson 50mm stem, Ibis Lo Fi 740mm, Ibis Saddle, Lizardskin grips
    Weight with pedals: 26 lbs 11 ozs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Looking good. Just need a dropper and you'll be set. If it's pretty rocky near you, you might look at increasing the travel on the fork to 140 to lessen the pedal strikes, but if you're not getting any pedal strikes once you try it out, then there's probably no need. I have the same frame (except not boost), and a similar build, with some different but equivalent parts. It's a great bike, you'll love it.

EDIT: Maybe the 170 cranks will keep you from pedal strikes
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

Moosehead
    Thanks Dld. I demo'd for 5-6 rides and spec'd the slightly shorter 170mm cranks after a few more pedal strikes than normal (even after proper rear shock setup). Opted out of the dropper and upped the rotor size as the LS just rips the downs and already put me beyond what is normally safe skilz territory.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moosehead View Post
    Thanks Dld. I demo'd for 5-6 rides and spec'd the slightly shorter 170mm cranks after a few more pedal strikes than normal (even after proper rear shock setup). Opted out of the dropper and upped the rotor size as the LS just rips the downs and already put me beyond what is normally safe skilz territory.
    I have switched to 170mm cranks on my Ripley LS and it has really helped to alleviate pedal strikes when I ride the rocky trails of the north east. Love this bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    whats the q factor for the ibis ripley?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Re Q factor: Just got an email from Ibis who said the XX1 Q156 cranks may fit, but very close @ LH chainstay, so will vary with production tolerances. If I read the reply correctly, they said they'd try to ensure they supply a frame with more room if asked. If it's too close a thin spacer might be needed on the LHS to move the crank out a tad.

They also said there's no way low Q cranks will fit on the current HD3 or Mojo 3, so that makes my decision easier.

Has anyone here managed to run the XTR M9000 Q158 (not 9020, Q168!) cranks successfully on the Ripley???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by satanas View Post
    Re Q factor: Just got an email from Ibis who said the XX1 Q156 cranks may fit, but very close @ LH chainstay, so will vary with production tolerances. If I read the reply correctly, they said they'd try to ensure they supply a frame with more room if asked. If it's too close a thin spacer might be needed on the LHS to move the crank out a tad.

They also said there's no way low Q cranks will fit on the current HD3 or Mojo 3, so that makes my decision easier.

Has anyone here managed to run the XTR M9000 Q158 (not 9020, Q168!) cranks successfully on the Ripley???
    Curious as to why you only want to run low Q factor XC cranks?

mtbr member
    Silly question maybe already answere but do we need to loosen the clevis section to remove the rear shock for servicing? I did because I didnt see another way without placing stress on frame. She looks sad and saggy

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    @ coolhand80: High Q cranks hurt my knees, low Q do not.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=wsp4me23;12940392]Silly question maybe already answere but do we need to loosen the clevis section to remove the rear shock for servicing? I did because I didnt see another way without placing stress on frame. She looks sad and saggy[IMG]http://uploads.tapatalk

I just wiggle the shock out of there but I think the 'official' method is to remove the entire clevis piece.

mtbr member
    Thanks for confirming. I just wasnt confident i could wiggle it free without damaging the frame. Sent off for factory service at cane creek. Look fwd to having it back fully functioning

mtbr member
    Thanks for confirming. I just wasnt confident i could wiggle it free without damaging the frame. Sent off for factory service at cane creek. Look fwd to having it back fully functioning
    Ha, got my Inline back from CC a couple of weeks ago. I've been giving the Fox Evol a thorough thrashing before deciding which one to keep.

mtbr member
    Which way you leaning?

Can you tell me which exact fox evol you have and I would need to order if I wanted to go that route? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Which way you leaning?

Can you tell me which exact fox evol you have and I would need to order if I wanted to go that route? Thanks in advance.
    I'm not sure but more testing today in your neck of the woods. The Evol is surprisingly supple in the chatter which is something I felt the Inline lacked. The Inline really shines at mach speed which is hard to find for extended periods in Sedona. I'm not that keen on having to run 230 psi in a shock and am still occasionally blowing through the travel. The Evol I have is the one that came with the LS from Ibis. My Inline is off my V1 Ripley that I kept when I sold the bike. That had the Fox CTD with an Avy SST mod. They're all different but the LS also rides a bit differently too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Love this bike!!!! Added slik graphics rear shock decal.. looks great and it was super cheap and easy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ripley Picture and Build Thread-img_1321.jpg  

mtbr member

Ripley LS XL

Mix of take-off parts from previous bike and Ripley-specific parts. Added Ibis 942 wheels.

Demoed two Ripleys (L, XL) in Breckenridge last summer. XL with 50mm stem worked best for me at 6'1'' (long legs). Amazingly well balanced and fun/playful bike (climb, descend, low speed tech).

Ripley Picture and Build Thread-ripleyfcrtrail.jpg

Ripley Picture and Build Thread-ripleyfcrtrailcloseup.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Looking good Robert!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

My Ripley LS

Not even a month old, awesome ride!

Ripley Picture and Build Thread-pc230106.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by randalnelson View Post
    Not even a month old, awesome ride!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC230106.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	1114571
    Looks great. Nice blue accents. My favorite full suspension bike to date.

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried the race face g4 cranks on ripley's ? Any pics? Feedbacks?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    For the 90g and $$$ difference I'll stick to XTR AL cranks.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Ripley Picture and Build Thread-img_3875.jpg
    Still loving this bike

mtbr member
    Nice race face crank. Cant wait to install mine

mtbr member

Oldie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crconsulting View Post

Pretty! Love the matching Pike + ENVE.

My V1 Green Ripper will have the new DB Air IL installed shortly. I'll update with pics.
    Ibis Ripley V1 | Niner RLT Steel IMBA Edition | Voodoo Bokor

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VooDooBokor View Post
    My V1 Green Ripper will have the new DB Air IL installed shortly.
    I can relate to trying a new shock on these! Trying to find a FOX DPS for this one, but no luck yet. I'd be curious to see what you think about that DB Air.

mtbr member
    Why are you having difficulty finding a fox float dps? Looking for used?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by VooDooBokor View Post
    Pretty! Love the matching Pike + ENVE.

My V1 Green Ripper will have the new DB Air IL installed shortly. I'll update with pics.
    PM sent.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Why are you having difficulty finding a fox float dps? Looking for used?
    Looking for either C6P2 or CZKH Ripley tune.

mtbr member
    Was my next ? I want to track down as well

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Any of you guys wanting to sell your CTD off your Ripleys?
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

2014 Fox Ripley CTD shock

Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Any of you guys wanting to sell your CTD off your Ripleys?
    I have a 2014 Ibis Ripley shock. Bike was brought new Feb 2015, shock used for a year and then removed. Perfect condition, no known faults or marks......Ripley Picture and Build Thread-img_3900.jpg
    Will pass it on for US$130, unfortunately i'm in NZ, so freight with DHL appears to be about another US$70.
    Happy to help, just don't know how much hassle it will create - PM me if interested.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeboyb View Post
    I have a 2014 Ibis Ripley shock. Bike was brought new Feb 2015, shock used for a year and then removed. Perfect condition, no known faults or marks......Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3900.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	179.6 KB 
ID:	1128021
    Will pass it on for US$130, unfortunately i'm in NZ, so freight with DHL appears to be about another US$70.
    Happy to help, just don't know how much hassle it will create - PM me if interested.
    PMed
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Ripley LS bottom bracket height question. Is the 12.8" bb height measured with the 942 rims? Reason I ask is that I am wondering if the low-profile of the 942 rims makes the bottom bracket lower than 12.8 inches?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Rim depth should not affect BB height since outer diameter is constant. Tires would but not by much.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New Ripley OG

I'm psyched to have received my Ripley OG on Thurdsay, taking advantage of the sale run by CC lately. I made some tweaks to their build (Ibis Hi-Fi bar, Ibis 935 wheelset, Maxxis Ardent Race front and Ikon rear, set fork to 130 mm travel). Hope to be able to sleep tonight as I have a big ride tomorrow!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ripley Picture and Build Thread-fullsizerender.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice build. Enjoy the bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Name:  IMG_0492.JPG
Views: 2328
Size:  36.6 KB

Been around here since Summer 2015 when I got my Ripley, but have never posted my build. Sorry for crappy picture, but could only get a small one to upload for some reason

Running about 27lbs or so.

Frame: 2015 Ripley Medium
    Shock/Remote: CC Inline (rebuilt with Black Damper) with OPT Climb Remote
    Fork: RS Pike 130 with Stealth Maxle
    Headset: Works UK -1˚
    Stem: Easton EA70 70mm +6˚ (I also run it negative sometimes)
    Bar: Ibis LoFi Carbon
    Grips: Ergon GE1 now...throwing on some ESI Super Chunkys
    Togs Thumby things I like for climbing & Flats
    Post: Fox Transfer Performance Dropper with external routing
    Saddle: Specialized Phenom Expert (Haven't tried this yet, formerly a Gobi)
    BB: RaceFace Cinch BB92
    Cranks: RaceFace Next SL 170mm
    Chainring: OneUp 30t Traction Ring (Oval, basically)
    Pedals: Shimano XT Trail
    Shifter: Shimano XT M8000
    Rear Der: Shimano XT M8000
    Cassette: Shimano XT M8000 11-46
    Chain: Shimano XT 11spd
    Rims: Derby XC Carbon (29id)
    Hubs: Industry Nine Torch Classic
    Spokes/Nips: Sapim Laser/Alloy
    Tires: Hans Dampf 23.5 Trailstar Front and Pacestar rear

Missing: Lezyne SideLoader Cage & Cytoe Frame protector

I also have a pair of Industry Nine Trail 24h Wheels with Vittoria Mezcal 2.25 for mileage days. The set up drops about 1lb from the above build. Thinking about getting a SID and carbon seat post for endurance races to drop another 2 lbs, but seems like a hassle to swap out 3-4x a year and I don't think I'm young enough for it to matter anymore.

I love this bike. At 5'7" there are times when I'm at my edge I feel like 29ers might be too big for me. For the XC terrain I ride here at home in VT, this bike is ruthless and fun. Steers like a BMXer and has enough travel for anything my trails can throw at it. Ill be keeping this bike for a long time and only adding to the stable instead.

mtbr member
    What do you prefer? A 130mm fork or a 140mm ? Need an honest opinion. Tnx

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I'm in New Zealand too... Christchurch, and I have a V1 Ripley

I'm curious, what shock did you switch to?

[QUOTE=bikeboyb;13094382]I have a 2014 Ibis Ripley shock. Bike was brought new Feb 2015, shock used for a year and then removed. Perfect condition, no known faults or marks......Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3900.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	179.6 KB 
ID:	1128021
    Happy to help, just don't know how much hassle it will create

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pitworkz View Post
    What do you prefer? A 130mm fork or a 140mm ? Need an honest opinion. Tnx
    OG or LS? With the low BB on the LS, I prefer the 140. 130 might be just fine on the OG, since someone interested in that would be buying it for the steeper geometry anyway.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    OG or LS? With the low BB on the LS, I prefer the 140. 130 might be just fine on the OG, since someone interested in that would be buying it for the steeper geometry anyway.
    I'm really, really liking my OG with the -1 Works headset and a Pike 130mm. Gets the HA right at 68°, so .5° steeper than the LS w/ a 130mm. The Works headset helps steepen the STA just slightly. First ride out on this set up I KOM'd one of the longer DH segments here on the local trails here in SW Denver. Mix of high speed flowy sections, big rock garden, tight switchbacks. With the tighter wheelbase of the OG + the slacker HT angle with the Works headset it provides more confidence going down with no perceivable, negative effects to the climbing traits of the OG Ripley. It's still super nimble, playful, and just a flat out ripper. I love my HD3 but the OG with this current set-up is faster for me on 95% of the riding I'm doing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH View Post
    I'm really, really liking my OG with the -1 Works headset and a Pike 130mm. Gets the HA right at 68°, so .5° steeper than the LS w/ a 130mm. The Works headset helps steepen the STA just slightly. First ride out on this set up I KOM'd one of the longer DH segments here on the local trails here in SW Denver. Mix of high speed flowy sections, big rock garden, tight switchbacks. With the tighter wheelbase of the OG + the slacker HT angle with the Works headset it provides more confidence going down with no perceivable, negative effects to the climbing traits of the OG Ripley. It's still super nimble, playful, and just a flat out ripper. I love my HD3 but the OG with this current set-up is faster for me on 95% of the riding I'm doing.
    Right there with you. Like what the Works -1 did for mine.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    Right there with you. Like what the Works -1 did for mine.
    So they're pretty much like an LS with a shorter reach now. That probably works well if your between sizes on the LS.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Recent pic at Kokopelli trails

Ripley Picture and Build Thread-img_20170422_093244_609.jpg

Currently at 25.4 lbs
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

mtbr member
    its an OG ripley sir

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Name:	IMG_20170422_093244_609.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	258.9 KB 
ID:	1133673

Currently at 25.4 lbs
    Nice, I'll be there next week with my Ripley.

mtbr member
    I went with the 140mm fox 34. In case im not happy with the 140... i'll just change the travel to 130mm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

My "old" Ripley LS

My Ripley LS v2:

Just washed and lubed her up. Bike is a little over a year old and I still love it. Custom build originally had lighter tires, bars, stem, pedals, dropper seatpost, etc. Originally came in around 24.5lbs. I've gotten away from the weight weenie mentality and now have the perfect bike (after playing with fork/shock pressures and rebound settings) and perfect set up for my riding style/terrain.

-Large '16 Ripley LS v2 (boost)
    -Fox Factory 34 fork, 130mm
    -XTR drivetrain (never going back to Sram, just personal preference)
    -X01 10-42 cassette (will swap out with e13 TRS when it's time)
    -Race Face Next SL cranks
    -XTR race brakes, 180/160mm rotors
    -Light bicycle 30mm ID rims laced to I9 hubs, DT spokes, 28 hole
    -Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5" WT (f), Ardent Race 2.35" rear (have Minion DHR II 2.4" WT on order for rear)
    -Fox Transfer seatpost, 150mm, with Wolftooth ReMote lever (awesome feel and super clean with clamp to front brake) - like it much better than KS Lev
    -WTB Hightail saddle, carbon
    -Renthal FatBar Lite Carbon 35, 760mm wide, 10 degree rise (finally adopted and now love the wider bar, shorter stem setup)
    -Renthal Apex 35 stem, 60mm
    -Cane Creek 40 headset
    -ESI chunky grips
    -Candy pedals

Weight = about 26lbs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ripley Picture and Build Thread-cgn-ripley-ls-v2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    My new 2017 Ripley LS, only 20 miles and already loving it!

Color:........Orange
    Size:.........Large
    Fork:.........Fox Factory FIT4 140mm, Boost
    Shock:......Fox Float Evol, Kashima
    Wheelset:..Race Face Affect R
    Headset:....Cane Creek
    Handlebar: Race Face SixC 785mm
    Stem:........Thomson Elite 4X 50mm
    Brakes:......Shimano XT with Ice Tech 180/160 Rotors
    Grips:........ODI
    Shifter:.....SRAM X01 Eagle
    Front Der:..None
    Rear Der:...SRAM X01 Eagle
    Crank:.......Race Face Turbine 175mm
    Cassette:..SRAM X01 Eagle 10-50
    Chain:.......SRAM X01 Eagle
    Seatpost:..Race Face Turbine 150mm
    Saddle:.....Specialized Romin Evo Gel 143mm
    Tires:........Maxxin DHF 2.3 Front, Highroller II 2.3
    Pedals:.....Shimano XT Trail
    Weight:.....TBD

Ripley Picture and Build Thread-ibis-ripley.jpg

Ripley Picture and Build Thread-ibis-ripley-2.jpg

Ripley Picture and Build Thread-3.jpg

Ripley Picture and Build Thread-ibis-ripley-4.jpg

NedwannaB
    Posted this question in a different thread but for you guys still running one of the "original" version models with the presfit bb's what can be done to deal with the creaky issue(s) on these(if anything at all)? Is it the pf bb that fails or the actual shell design itself that causes it. Have upgraded bbs or install tricks helped? I'm a lighter rider looking at one of these for mainly XC rides and do not want to be distracted by drivetrain noises messing with voices in my head while grinding back from long outings. 😬

Thanks in advance-jmac
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I installed an insert that makes it more like a threaded system. It's from Enduro Fork Seals here:
    ENDURO TORQTITE BB92 FOR SHIMANO

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Posted this question in a different thread but for you guys still running one of the "original" version models with the presfit bb's what can be done to deal with the creaky issue(s) on these(if anything at all)? Is it the pf bb that fails or the actual shell design itself that causes it. Have upgraded bbs or install tricks helped? I'm a lighter rider looking at one of these for mainly XC rides and do not want to be distracted by drivetrain noises messing with voices in my head while grinding back from long outings. 😬

Thanks in advance-jmac
    Zero issues with creek from RF Cinch BB or Wheels Mfg Metal press in. I throw a bunch of lube on it when I install. That's about it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I ordered a large Ripley LS 3.0 X01vitamin p. It arrives today. I'm coming off a 2015 Pivot 429sl. I can't wait to ride it.

Ibis Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Therapy View Post
    I ordered a large Ripley LS 3.0 X01vitamin p. It arrives today. I'm coming off a 2015 Pivot 429sl. I can't wait to ride it.
    We'll wait for your first impressions!

Enjoy it!

Enviado desde mi Elephone P8000 mediante Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I love this bike. I've got 2 rides on the Ripley ls3.0 and its the best bike i have ever ridden. Ive owned a 2015 Pivot 429sl Xt build, 2013 Pivot 429 carbon 1st gen, 2012 Pivot 5.7 X0, and 2010 trek fuel ex9. None compare to this beast.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Add some pics of your V3's guys

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post

Thanks in advance-jmac
    Mine creaks after 1.5 year, i replace it with cheap chinese ceramic bearing pf BB with aluminum cup off ebay, i think the trick is to install it together left and right BB the same time, not one by one... it's been quiet so far, been 6 months and many mileage.
    Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Maybe assembling with loctite 680 retaining compound will help, recommended on the other bearing changes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    XL Ripley LS, special blend. Bought it used off Pinkbike. Now selling my HD3.

As first built up when I bought it:
    Ripley Picture and Build Thread-img_0146.jpg

Out in the wild, now with a BikeYoke Revive:
    Ripley Picture and Build Thread-img_0443.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Great build

Pretty much build as mine. How is the 2.3 on the rear? I was thing of trying an 2.3 Aggressor and hoping it don't run the seat tube

Quote Originally Posted by MSH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelfury View Post
    My new 2017 Ripley LS, only 20 miles and already loving it!

Color:........Orange
    Size:.........Large
    Fork:.........Fox Factory FIT4 140mm, Boost
    Shock:......Fox Float Evol, Kashima
    Wheelset:..Race Face Affect R
    Headset:....Cane Creek
    Handlebar: Race Face SixC 785mm
    Stem:........Thomson Elite 4X 50mm
    Brakes:......Shimano XT with Ice Tech 180/160 Rotors
    Grips:........ODI
    Shifter:.....SRAM X01 Eagle
    Front Der:..None
    Rear Der:...SRAM X01 Eagle
    Crank:.......Race Face Turbine 175mm
    Cassette:..SRAM X01 Eagle 10-50
    Chain:.......SRAM X01 Eagle
    Seatpost:..Race Face Turbine 150mm
    Saddle:.....Specialized Romin Evo Gel 143mm
    Tires:........Maxxin DHF 2.3 Front, Highroller II 2.3
    Pedals:.....Shimano XT Trail
    Weight:.....TBD

Name:	Ibis Ripley.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	211.2 KB 
ID:	1140635

Name:	Ibis Ripley 2.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	220.9 KB 
ID:	1140636

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	244.4 KB 
ID:	1140637

Name:	Ibis Ripley 4.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	254.7 KB 
ID:	1140638

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric Vespa View Post
    Pretty much build as mine. How is the 2.3 on the rear? I was thing of trying an 2.3 Aggressor and hoping it don't run the seat tube
    The 2.3 seems to be fine.

I've actually changed some stuff. New DT Swiss XM421/350 hubs and I sold off the Eagle 1x12 for XT/XTR/Box 2 setup. I couldn't get my head around $350 for a cassette and really didn't like the ergo of the shifter. Just personal preference.

While ai absolutely love this bike it creaks like a motherf$#&$^er. Still try to quiet it down. I've had a bunch of high end bikes over the years and never had one creak as bad as this. Kinda of a bummer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    While ai absolutely love this bike it creaks like a motherf$#&$^er. Still try to quiet it down. I've had a bunch of high end bikes over the years and never had one creak as bad as this. Kinda of a bummer.
    Too bad. Any idea where its coming from? I have a V1 and its pretty much never creaked. I have had my links/bearings serviced and it is a press fit BB, but no creaks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    Too bad. Any idea where its coming from? I have a V1 and its pretty much never creaked. I have had my links/bearings serviced and it is a press fit BB, but no creaks.
    It seems like its coming from the eccentric pivot area and headset area. I've had the BB, headset, rear shock and swingarm off already and it's still creaking terribly.

I'm guess going have to to tear it completely down and clean, re-grease and re-torque everything and see what happens. Also going to try the teflon tape around the lower shock mount too.

Pretty disappointing considering the cost of these bikes. Makes me miss my Yeti 5.5 that I sold for this bike. I'm surprise that Ibis hasn't figured out a solution as this seems like a common problem on the Ripley.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Mine doesnt creak at all, v2. Im guessing when you've ironed out the creak you wont have a problem. I mentioned on another thread dont forget the loctite 680 for retaining the bearings.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It seems like its coming from the eccentric pivot area and headset area. I've had the BB, headset, rear shock and swingarm off already and it's still creaking terribly.

I'm guess going have to to tear it completely down and clean, re-grease and re-torque everything and see what happens. Also going to try the teflon tape around the lower shock mount too.

Pretty disappointing considering the cost of these bikes. Makes me miss my Yeti 5.5 that I sold for this bike. I'm surprise that Ibis hasn't figured out a solution as this seems like a common problem on the Ripley.
    It was a problem with the V1, I haven't read much about creaking with the V2 on, so I'd guess it's something with your setup.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    It was a problem with the V1, I haven't read much about creaking with the V2 on, so I'd guess it's something with your setup.
    I've read plenty of complaints about the V.2 as well. Usually at the end of an earlier threads. Regardless, there's something going on that I need to figure out before I go crazy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Ripley Picture and Build Thread

Enjoying my v2, no complaints so far

edit after a few rides: due to the low bottom bracket, I can't understand how the frame hasn't any kind of protection there!

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk
    Last edited by tols; 09-18-2017 at 12:45 PM.

mtbr member
    sorry for that...
    Last edited by pitworkz; 09-11-2017 at 06:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Just built up my Ibis Ripley LS Gen 3. Pretty rare here in Oz! Loving the Ibis 942 rims/Projcet 321 hubs.
    Last edited by vazzwells; 10-03-2017 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Link

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tols View Post
    Enjoying my v2, no complaints so far

edit after a few rides: due to the low bottom bracket, I can't understand how the frame hasn't any kind of protection there!

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk
    I agree and I have been hammering my pedals lately after 2 years on the bike. Strange. Not sure what changed except maybe I dont have the shock set correctly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Where did you get the 942/Project 321 wheels done? I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new Ripley and that was what I was planning on doing. Just trying to figure out the logistics.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Galamoor View Post
    Where did you get the 942/Project 321 wheels done? I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new Ripley and that was what I was planning on doing. Just trying to figure out the logistics.
    Through Pro Wheel Builder in the US. I could source the hubs and rims locally in Australia, but wanted a wheel builder who already new both products. A couple of delays, but worth it in the end.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thank you! I'm going the same route. Excited to here you like them. I'm not an I9 fan so I wanted another option using the wider 942 rims.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Will post finished pics of it once I change the color scheme. Weighs 26.7 with pedals and the heavy 2.6 tires.
    Ripley Picture and Build Thread-ibisripley.jpg

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast