Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Ripley paint damage: water bottle and cable routing

18K views 76 replies 39 participants last post by  GSoler 
#1 ·
I just want to point a couple of things out to Ripley owners and builders.

First, just because a water bottle and cage fits into the upper mounts with room to spare does not mean it is suitable in that location. The suspension swing arm moves in the water bottle's direction. Have a look at the paint damage to my brand new Ripley after the first ride. This is from a plastic Lezyne mount and standard plastic bottle. The bottle was not in contact with the paint, but the swing arm bashing into it caused damage not only to the swing arm but somehow to the seat tube as well!

Second, be sure that you, or your LBS, install the derailleur cables in a crossed pattern into the internal cable routes, with adequate slack. If they are too short and go into the onside route, then there will be enough friction on the cable stops to cause some ugly paint damage there as well. Blue Teal Aqua Azure Turquoise
Blue Electric blue Rim Aqua Azure

See less See more
#56 ·
I agree with the BMC-solution. Avoids the narrow angles and interference with the steerer tube, gives more options for routing and room for more cables. If it can be executed well on a Ripley I don't know.

simenf - brainwashed by the big wheel mafia.

#58 · (Edited)
If I were on the design team I would shy away from the BMC approach. It's not as elegant. It's a more costly design with several extra parts in inventory, as well as assembly. I'm making the assumption that the Ripley design works without that added stainless collar.

Design is always a give and take game. Internal routing eliminates inserting cable attachment points. I still think Ibis could have done this differently.

I just don't like holes in my frames.

Having said that, I still totally love the Ripley. My previous comments have all been out of love.

Also- how much of the cable routing is actually internal? About 12 inches. It hardly makes sense, to me at least. And I do like the whole concept of tucking the cables away.

#66 ·
I have cabled routing issues since the first ride on my Ripley - at this point, the bike has been recabled three times (in a month). The latest version crossed the front cables and included the zip tie at the exit point - this morning's ride had constant cable suck back into the frame toward the rear and again pinched the RD cable. Anyone come up with a good way to stop this - clearly a design flaw that needs to be addressed by IBIS.

#67 ·
this morning's ride had constant cable suck back into the frame toward the rear and again pinched the RD cable. Anyone come up with a good way to stop this - clearly a design flaw that needs to be addressed by IBIS.
Is one of the cables fixed, like that for a dropper or a FD? If the zip tie is tight and one or more of the casings are not attached to the swingarm, the casings as a group should not migrate either direction. That's the key.
This should help.
H

#68 ·
I am running xx1, so I only have a rear derailleur cable and the rear brake line and have had zero issues so far. In fact, this is the first frame I have ever owned where none of the cables ever even rub the frame in any way.

I followed the instructional video on youtube (I think that's where it was anyway).

#69 ·
no issues for me

I am running xx1, so I only have a rear derailleur cable and the rear brake line and have had zero issues so far. In fact, this is the first frame I have ever owned where none of the cables ever even rub the frame in any way.

I followed the instructional video on youtube (I think that's where it was anyway).
I've also had no issues with cables on mine.
As I've pictured / described before, I did the routing slightly differently than most have, but that shouldn't change the outcome.
my rear der cable runs around the outside (not through) the frame and follows the rear brake line (zip tied together) then comes together, just above the rear shock, with the front der and dropper post lines...all 4 of them are zipped together.

#74 ·
I've been riding my Ripley now for two months and a little under 800km in that time. I have to say that the bike is amazing. Climbing, descending, accelerating, everything. I don't think Ill ever need another bike!

The only thing that I have found I am not 100% happy with is the way my cables, especially my rear derailleur cable keeps moving back. The bike was set up by a long time Ibis mechanic and owner of Sunnyside Sports in Bend, Oregon; so I know the job was done well as per the book - however the cable keeps getting 'sucked in' towards the rear. That's the only way I know how to describe it.

I've still been mucking about with a few other tricks, when I sort one out that works I'll post some images.

Exx

#75 ·
Ibis Ripley Small Frame Cable Challange

For those like me, that have a small frame Ripley, managing the cables over the rear shock is a real challange, specially if the shock is the Cane Creek DB InLine like mine. Withe the help of some aftermarket cable guides and a plastic wrap and of course the Ibis Cable Dice it was accomplished.......attached some photos for your reference.

Attachments

#77 ·
Alligator Cable Guide: they get attached with a zip tie. I used 2 of them, side by side with one zip tie holding both, then I attached the rear brake housing and dropper post housing to them. Prior to this, I first used ones that have glue, but the cable tension peel them off the frame. So I have to use something with a zip tie (unfortunately, because the zip tie does not look good over the frame)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.