Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Ripley LS Review!

Ok. I'd wish there was a review too. What's the deal with not hearing any ride reviews yet? Bronson, 5010, Yeti 45C, Pivot Trail etc. Seem like its the only new bike with zero riding feedback. Seems weird to not have any feedback yet. I'm looking at the LS, Trail, or Following. Lots of info on the others. No LS. Rode the v2. Phenomenal uphill. Can't wait to try the LS and finally make a decision.

mtbr member
    I'm probably not the only one that wants to hurt you right now!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Agreed, what a stupid thread title

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Not cool man.

Any how..l called ibis about this very issue... Why didn't they send some LS frames out for testing? Their response was because they didn't view it as a new model, just an improvement. I beg to differ... Strictly by the numbers, it's an entirely different beast than the v1 or standard geo. Ripley. There's literally not a single ride report any where.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Hey. Sorry guys. Was really just trying show how weird it is such a highly anticipated bike has no review in any way. And show how many people would love to see a review. Ive sold my Bronson and I'm very interested in the LS. I assume it'll be soon since some are actually shiping. Maybe I should delete this post. Shows the passion we have for Ibis I guess.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    No worries man, I didn't mean to be rude. I just think everyone is very eager to see an LS review and the "!" got us all worked up. I know I was looking forward to being able to procrastinate a little at work while reading about the LS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertLoblaw View Post
    No worries man, I didn't mean to be rude. I just think everyone is very eager to see an LS review and the "!" got us all worked up. I know I was looking forward to being able to procrastinate a little at work while reading about the LS.
    I'm pretty sure it says in the Forum rules, that this is a hanging offense. LOL

mtbr member
    Working for an Ibis dealer, finally got in the first LS in an XL for the shop's owner/demo bike today. Apparently first batch large and mediums aren't going to ship until the end of the month,

Do agree it's interesting they haven't had any pro reviews out on it yet, but then if it's a long term test deal (say with Pink-bike or something) they could just have a backlog of review bikes or are waiting to publish stuff until after show season when there are less bike releases/content/other things going on.

Haven't even seen any ride reports yet so hopefully will be able to sneak a ride in later this week and possibly share some first impressions... I'm a happy HD3 owner but always fun to try new bikes

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Bugger me I was so excited,please some one give us the heads up on the LS.
    I am waiting to order a ripley but not till I read some reviews.

Well Biked
    I would think at least a Jeff Kendal Weed edit!

Santa Cruz wasted no time in getting the 5010 and Bronson testers out there. Free publicity never hurts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    And which Ibis dealer do you work for? Sunshine? I would probably make the drive over to Marin Co just to see it and take it for a spin in the P-lot.

Mike
    2015 Tang Ibis Ripley LS XT 1X+Ritchey Carbon Cockpit+Nox Wheels=
    For Sale: 2008 Intense 5.5 FRO XTR/Stans

mtbr member
    Maybe impossible to keep under wraps so they make it official? That said I think asking for an industry review is very fair. Agreed that the LS looks like a completely different bike to me.

I think Ripley owners (v1) can guess what the LS will ride like but I'd love to hear some feedback as well!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The guy I spoke with at Ibis said they'd probably send a bike over to BIKE magazine if they do another Bible of bike tests for 2016. But beyond that, they haven't sent any test bikes out, per their own admission.

So if someone does get to ride an LS model, please be sure to comment on pedaling efficiency during extended climbs and whether or not you noticed an increased amount of pedal strikes (325mm bb height!). Also, fit would be nice if you're a tall guy like me (6'5").

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlBeThere View Post
    And which Ibis dealer do you work for? Sunshine? I would probably make the drive over to Marin Co just to see it and take it for a spin in the P-lot.
    Hey Mike,

Yup do work at Sunshine. Not sure if it's on our demo schedule yet but should be no problem to swing by and check it out (again just an XL at this point).

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadiMac22 View Post
    The guy I spoke with at Ibis said they'd probably send a bike over to BIKE magazine if they do another Bible of bike tests for 2016. But beyond that, they haven't sent any test bikes out, per their own admission.

So if someone does get to ride an LS model, please be sure to comment on pedaling efficiency during extended climbs and whether or not you noticed an increased amount of pedal strikes (325mm bb height!). Also, fit would be nice if you're a tall guy like me (6'5").

So heads up. I demoed the v2 standard geo. The bottom bracket was 13.25" with nobby nics. I was worried about the low BB too. No prob. Couple strikes on a big climb. Way less than I thought there'd be.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm an XL guy so it will be perfect. I'll call before I come over and make sure the bikes around.
    Quote Originally Posted by evo233 View Post
    Hey Mike,

Yup do work at Sunshine. Not sure if it's on our demo schedule yet but should be no problem to swing by and check it out (again just an XL at this point).
    2015 Tang Ibis Ripley LS XT 1X+Ritchey Carbon Cockpit+Nox Wheels=
    For Sale: 2008 Intense 5.5 FRO XTR/Stans

mtbr member
    I was disappointed in the absence of Ibis at the Interbike Dirt Demo, but not surprised. I had the Ripley LS on my list and was able to ride the Mach 429 Trail and The Following for comparison but didn't happen.

Sounds like I'm not the only disappointed one.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Krob,

I missed IB Dirt Demo for the first time in 6 years kinda bummed but when Yeti Santa Cruz and Ibis pulled out last year I was worried about enough "fun" bikes to ride. Who was there?

I have ridden a million Intenses and rode a following for a while so looks like Pivot M429T was the only miss for me. What did you think of it, how was the fit with the shorter reach? There has not been much coverage yet...except fatbikes..

Thanks

mtbr member
    Climb it on your bike

mtbr member
    Last edited by expatrider; 11-13-2015 at 02:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FREDGOAT View Post
    Funny to see the absence of a review inspires more comment than the first review itself ;-)
    Climb it on your bike

melon farmer
    http://enduro-mtb.com/en/bike-check-...-ripley-29-ls/

Not quite a review but its the best i got

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I have a friend who's racing for Ibis and I checked out his LS last weekend with the new X-Fusion bits. He's pretty stoked on them so far but thinks the 2016 Fox stuff is a little nicer..

I can't wait until he can get me a demo XL.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I recently rode a std. Ripley at Outerbike [ no LS available ] and several rides on the Pivot Trail. The Ripley climbed very well and used all its travel on the chunky Moab downs. The climbing was excellent as expected but on the rocky drops you realized it was 120mm on the rear. The Pivot climbed about the same or very small diff. from the Ripley but on the downs it was softer and more controlled at the end of its travel. The Pivots travel seemed more like 130mm when riding. I'm still hoping to ride an LS as its at the top of my list. Ironically a riding friend rode with our group the week after on a new LS. No factory bikes few dealer bikes but they want my $6000, go figure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Ride On!
    Resurrecting this thread.. found a good review from Bike Magazine. Always like there format... guys talking about bikes

Review: Ibis Ripley LS | BIKE Magazine

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tjMountain View Post
    Resurrecting this thread.. found a good review from Bike Magazine. Always like there format... guys talking about bikes

Pretty much everything they say is spot on! I am amazed at how much better it corners than my RIP-9, and yet it is much more stable charging down rocky chunk. Like they said, it goes where you point it. Really responsive, yet stable. And the more you get on the gears, the better it climbs. You can use the pro-pedal on long climbs, but it climbs so well when open, I rarely use it.

Everything on the bike is a notch above the RIP-9. But especially the cornering. It just loves to be pitched into a corner, and I am not a good cornering rider. I now fly through corners I used to brake into. It's like going from an old Jeep to one with power steering. Even though it is easier to steer, it also does not get knocked off line as easy. It is just so easy to ride fast, and it is even more plush than the Niner, while climbing better. A win all around.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Appreciate your comparison to the Rip 9. What I don't understand is some of the reviews that say the LS gets nervous going downhill fast, with the LS slacker HTA (67-67.5) depending on fork size (130-140mm) it doesn't make sense to me. You seem to not feel that it gets nervous at all. Good to hear.

mtbr member
    I don't think the LS gets nervous either

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tjMountain View Post

Yeah, they seem to do pretty legit reviews and will tell you exactly what they like and don't like.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelsdown2002 View Post
    Pretty much everything they say is spot on! I am amazed at how much better it corners than my RIP-9, and yet it is much more stable charging down rocky chunk. Like they said, it goes where you point it. Really responsive, yet stable. And the more you get on the gears, the better it climbs. You can use the pro-pedal on long climbs, but it climbs so well when open, I rarely use it.

Everything on the bike is a notch above the RIP-9. But especially the cornering. It just loves to be pitched into a corner, and I am not a good cornering rider. I now fly through corners I used to brake into. It's like going from an old Jeep to one with power steering. Even though it is easier to steer, it also does not get knocked off line as easy. It is just so easy to ride fast, and it is even more plush than the Niner, while climbing better. A win all around.
    What size a fork are you running on it? 130mm or a 140mm? I've ridden a RIp 9 RDO and find it similar to my Tallboy LTc but the Tallboy I feel climbs better and has more travel. The Tallboy seems very planted though, good for safety I guess but if you want it playful it has to be manhandled into it. Seem the Ripley LS is not that way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    Appreciate your comparison to the Rip 9. What I don't understand is some of the reviews that say the LS gets nervous going downhill fast, with the LS slacker HTA (67-67.5) depending on fork size (130-140mm) it doesn't make sense to me. You seem to not feel that it gets nervous at all. Good to hear.
    I have a 140mm Pike on mine from my RIP-9.

I find I am much faster downhill on the Ripley. Somehow it is more responsive, but also holds a line better in the rough. I ride pretty rocky trails here in Tucson, and it is better downhill than my Motolite, RIP-9, Knolly Endorphin, or Lenz Behemoth that I owned.

I don't do big drops or jumps, but I ride very chunky, rocky trails, and this is the best bike I have had. It is efficient like an XC bike, but eats up rocks like an AM bike. I have never felt confidence on a bike like on this one. It just plain does everything extremely well. Like they said, it likes to be thrown around like a big bmx bike. I ride a Large with a 50mm stem and 750mm bar, and the steering is perfect. Just the right amount of agility, with solid stability.

mtbr member
    What size a fork are you running on it? 130mm or a 140mm? I've ridden a RIp 9 RDO and find it similar to my Tallboy LTc but the Tallboy I feel climbs better and has more travel. The Tallboy seems very planted though, good for safety I guess but if you want it playful it has to be manhandled into it. Seem the Ripley LS is not that way.
    I have a 140mm Pike. The Ripley is way more playful and responsive than the RIP-9(alloy) I had. It corners much better and pitches into corners easier. Yet I am more confident down rocky sections, and I'm letting my brakes go and flying down sections that I slowed down on before.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I have a 140mm Pike on mine from my RIP-9.

I find I am much faster downhill on the Ripley. Somehow it is more responsive, but also holds a line better in the rough. I ride pretty rocky trails here in Tucson, and it is better downhill than my Motolite, RIP-9, Knolly Endorphin, or Lenz Behemoth that I owned.

I don't do big drops or jumps, but I ride very chunky, rocky trails, and this is the best bike I have had. It is efficient like an XC bike, but eats up rocks like an AM bike. I have never felt confidence on a bike like on this one. It just plain does everything extremely well. Like they said, it likes to be thrown around like a big bmx bike. I ride a Large with a 50mm stem and 750mm bar, and the steering is perfect. Just the right amount of agility, with solid stability.
    Do you mind me asking how tall you are? I'm trying to decide between this and the following but can't find anywhere close to get a test ride in on the Ripley LS and I'm right on the cusp of the L and XL.

I'm actually in Tucson as well. What trails have you taken the bike on so far?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoose View Post
    Do you mind me asking how tall you are? I'm trying to decide between this and the following but can't find anywhere close to get a test ride in on the Ripley LS and I'm right on the cusp of the L and XL.

I'm actually in Tucson as well. What trails have you taken the bike on so far?
    How close is close? Venture north to Sedona and you can demo the Following at OTE and the Ripley LS at Fat Tire Bike Shop. Two hour drive.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    I live on the west side of Tucson Mountain Park. I have ridden it on pretty much every trail there, including all the Robles trails. I go up over the Explorer trail over Cat Mountain a lot, and I have also ridden Hooligan on it.

I am 5'10" with a shorter torso, and really long legs, and I got a large, and it is a perfect fit. My seat is set about 30" from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat. Reach is about 25 3/4" from center of handlebar to center of seat post at the seat rails. This being with a 50mm stem.

I had a medium Rip-9 previously, with a 75mm stem. I felt I wanted to go shorter stem and wider bars, and I think I picked perfectly, as the bike just feels right in every way!

I was worried about the increase in wheelbase, and that is a total non issue. If you watch the "Bible of Bike Tests" video, you will hear the guy say it feels "short", "tight", and "flickable". It's really weird, because I know on paper the large is 1.5" longer wheelbase than the medium RIP-9 I rode, and yet when you ride it, it feels almost smaller somehow, and more nimble and responsive. Then you hit a downhill, and it just rails. Coming down Rock Wren you can just hammer and let it fly with total confidence, and just forget you have brakes.

I would suggest going with a size where you use a short stem and long bar, as this bike seems to really like that set up. If you are wishy washy between sizes for instance, as I kind of was, go short stem. The med Niner and Ripley look close in size on paper, but I knew if I went medium I would have to run on the longer side of stem.(75-90) So I decided to go with the large(which is where I fit on their size chart) and go short stem, and I am really glad I did! It's like the short stem puts the responsiveness into the bike, and the wheelbase puts the stability in. And the wide bar gives leverage so the bars respond quick but don't try to knock the wheel offline. It just comes together beautifully, so it feels like power steering. Responsive with no fight back at the bars. Best blend of handling I have owned.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You seem to be exactly close to my measurements so I appreciate your feedback. Did you buy the Ripley LS without a demo based on what you read? If you did it sounds like this one worked out for you. I will admit I love that my Tallboy LTc has a short wheelbase and it has concerned me that LS has a longer one, but it seems on paper those measurements don't matter when on the trail in the LS.

mtbr member
    You seem to be exactly close to my measurements so I appreciate your feedback. Did you buy the Ripley LS without a demo based on what you read? If you did it sounds like this one worked out for you. I will admit I love that my Tallboy LTc has a short wheelbase and it has concerned me that LS has a longer one, but it seems on paper those measurements don't matter when on the trail in the LS.
    I did buy mine without a demo, but I did message someone who had the original Ripley. And partly I just took a bit of a chance I guess and calculated risk.

Also, I was going to have 1 1/2" more seatpost sticking out on the medium Ripley than on the medium Niner, and I already felt I had a lot sticking out as it was. I have 9" exposed now on the large Ripley, and would have had 11" exposed on a medium.

On the very first ride, I was a bit perplexed, because immediately the Ripley LS did not feel longer than the RIP-9 at all. The cockpit felt spot on. And I knew in my mind that the wheelbase was longer, but it cornered easier than the Niner. I think the lower CG made it easier to pitch into corners. It transitions quicker side to side than the Niner. Just like the guy in the "Bible of Bike tests" video said "throw out what you know on paper". My mind thought it might be slower handling, and instead it was playful and responsive in a way the Niner never was. I wouldn't sweat the added wheelbase. This is the shortest stem I ever had on a bike, and with the wide bar it is just an awesome handling setup.

Easier to pitch through corners, but yet more stable on downhills than the RIP-9, what is not to love about that?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I moved from a RIP RDO to a V1 Ripley. Kinda wish I'd known the LS was coming out, but so be it. For me, the Ripley is so much more of a fun bike than the RIP. I started on a medium and then to a small. Never felt good on the bike. Always on top. Did not find it agile, but it hauled over rough stuff at speed.

Medium Ripley just fits me really well.

I'd really like to try a Mojo 3 or LS to see what the extra length and slacker HA feels like. Never ridden anything slacker than the Ripley.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    How close is close? Venture north to Sedona and you can demo the Following at OTE and the Ripley LS at Fat Tire Bike Shop. Two hour drive.
    I don't know why I didn't think of that. 4 hours is definitely not that bad to give both of these bikes a try. Thanks for the tip

I am 5'10" with a shorter torso, and really long legs, and I got a large, and it is a perfect fit. My seat is set about 30" from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat. Reach is about 25 3/4" from center of handlebar to center of seat post at the seat rails. This being with a 50mm stem.

I would suggest going with a size where you use a short stem and long bar, as this bike seems to really like that set up. If you are wishy washy between sizes for instance, as I kind of was, go short stem. The med Niner and Ripley look close in size on paper, but I knew if I went medium I would have to run on the longer side of stem.(75-90) So I decided to go with the large(which is where I fit on their size chart) and go short stem, and I am really glad I did! It's like the short stem puts the responsiveness into the bike, and the wheelbase puts the stability in. And the wide bar gives leverage so the bars respond quick but don't try to knock the wheel offline. It just comes together beautifully, so it feels like power steering. Responsive with no fight back at the bars. Best blend of handling I have owned.
    I'm right between the large and extra large at 6', going off of their size chart. I'd say I'm more torso than less legs however so it seems extra large might be the size to try so that I can get the short stem on there. My only hesitation with the extra large is that the seat tube is tall enough that I'd be limited to a 125mm dropper and even then the post would be almost all the way slammed (my seat isn't much higher than yours).

I guess this is why I'm kind of gravitating towards the evil since the following seems to be a little longer with it's size L than the Ripley LS. I guess I'll hopefully be able to take rockman's advice and take a trip to Sedona to try out both bikes for a day.

Thanks for your help!

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I used to live in Tucson, up near CSP. I think this would be a great bike for Tucson. Fun on the 50, but also on Bug Springs/Milagrosa, and the new Ridgeline/Wild Burro loop in the Tortolitas. I haven't ridden it in Tucson yet, just got it, but I've been riding similar stuff to the chunky stuff in Tucson. Also for reference, I'm 6'1" and went with the Large with a 70mm stem and the stock lo-fi bar. Have the stem flipped and up one 5mm spacer from slammed (bars ~2" lower than the saddle). I also demoed the XL, and it just felt a little less manageable and less fun on the twisty stuff.

Agree with what the others have said. Not nervous at all. I was bombing down stuff I had been hesitant on before. Super smooth. Loving the MRP Stage after coming off a Pike on my previous bike. Just so much more composed, and it's like the bumps disappear.

I'm lazy, so here's a copy of the thread I just posted in the build thread:

So I'm really enjoying my new Ripley LS. I've had four rides on her so far, and every one has been loaded with PR's, both up and down, and even a couple top 10's, despite the fact that I'm not targeting any segments and am just out doing training rides.

Here's the first ride on her: https://www.strava.com/activities/537977953

and here's the most recent, a nice link-up of trails in Moab: https://www.strava.com/activities/540620674

and a pic! More pics attached to the rides.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BD_chD1G...y=mountaink1ng

X01 build that shipped with XTR Trails as they were out of Guide RSC's. I was bummed at first, as I've enjoyed the RSC's in the past and have found servowave models of shimano brakes to have less modulation than I'd like, but these feel great. Totally happy with that now. Other non-stock items include an MRP Stage at 140mm, Roval Traverse Fattie SL wheels with Maxxis Tomahawk EXO front, and Maxxis Ardent Race EXO rear. Wolftooth 32T Elliptical, and MRP chainguide (have to get a picture of that). ESI grips, and I added the Southpaw remote, which I also love (the throw could be a tad shorter, but it's pretty damn ergonomic and the action of the post is really smooth.) Size large, by the way. Crank brothers acid pedals, still going. 26.7 pounds in this full-on trail bike guise. Should be just under 25 with race wheels/tires/pedals.

Attachment 1063252

Attachment 1063256
    Can't wait for the snow to melt and the dirt to dry

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    twowheelsdown and DLd, do you mind me asking if the Following was also on your short list for new bikes when you went with the Ripley? Was there something in particular that made you choose to go the Ibis route, be it ride characteristics or something else (customer service, frame specifications, etc.)?

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    twowheelsdown and DLd, do you mind me asking if the Following was also on your short list for new bikes when you went with the Ripley? Was there something in particular that made you choose to go the Ibis route, be it ride characteristics or something else (customer service, frame specifications, etc.)?
    I heard the Following ends up with a really slack seat tube angle, especially if you're a taller guy. I fully buy into the "modern" geometry of running the seat further forward for a better position for climbing, since it will be out of the way anyway for going downhill when using a dropper, and I didn't think I'd be able to get it far enough forward on the Following, or I'd be running it right at the end of the rails. Track record for dependability and customer service was another consideration. There certainly aren't any local Evil dealers here.

On the flip side, the water bottle placement on the Following is great. I do fit a large bottle on the LS no problem, by the way. I think that extra 1/2" in the top tube makes a little more room for bottles too.

Final consideration was Evil wasn't at any of the demo events I attended (Outerbike in the fall, and Moab Spring Thaw) so I couldn't try them out. I do know one guy that has one and he seems to like it, but I only spoke to him in the parking lot about it after I had finished a ride and he's only had it a week or two.

mtbr member
    That is actually a very good question. I was about to put the Evil Following on my credit card because I wanted one so badly. Then I decided to wait until I sold some frames and forks and not go in debt. Meantime, I heard about the upcoming Ripley LS.

I then messaged a member that had owned the original Ripley, and then the Following. He told me that Ibis had fantastic customer service, and that he still wore his Ibis hat because he is a big fan and would not hesitate to own one. I also saw a few things about Evil's customer service that made me question it. So customer service played a part for sure. I also like that they sell the tools to do their frame bearings and use easily acquired bearings.

Another factor was that I had just put X1 11speed on my RIP-9 with XO carbon cranks, and I saw the Ripley was going back to a threaded BB. That was a plus in that I could swap directly over, and I don't like press fit bottom brackets anyway.

The advice from the Ripley/Following owner was that if he were in my shoes, given the new geometry changes, threaded BB, and customer service, he would go with the Ripley. He had already gotten the Following before they announced the LS though.

mtbr member
    DLd, which MRP chain guide are you running? Presumably it attaches using the front derailleur mounts? I really like the looks of the new guide from OneUp but I don't think it will work.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    Here's some sizing feedback for those between L and XL. For reference I'm 6' even. In January I rented a large LS and really took a liking to it. It had a 70mm stem and fit me great. Last week I demoed a large Yeti SB4.5 with a 55mm stem and loved the fit. Then this past weekend the Ibis demo van rolled thru town, and after comparing the Yeti 4.5 geometry chart to the Ripley LS XL the night before, I thought the XL Ripley LS might just fit. I was able to demo the XL for 1.5hrs and loved it. The seat tube was close with a 150mm dropper, but it worked and the reach fit me great with a 50mm stem. I'll add that I run my saddle 31" up from the BB.

mtbr member

Ripley LS Review!

And I'll add a bit to the review part of things. After demoing the standard Ripley, LS, Mojo 3, and HD3 I've come to realize I really like Ibis bikes. Not a bad one in the lot. For me, the Ripley LS is the perfect fit for how I ride. I've been looking for the one bike solution that can do anything from 50 milers to all mountain type riding. I think the LS is that bike. I ended up buying the LS this past weekend after the Ibis demo. I can't wait to get it on my home trails. Of course it has been raining since I finished building it. :-(

For reference, I've been riding a Tallboy for 3.5yrs and really do love it. I recently put a 130mm Fox 34 fork, Fox DPS shock, and -1deg headset on it. That made the Tallboy even more capable and fun, but 100mm does have its limitations. At least it bought me some time to figure out what I wanted next. And I also had a Pivot Mach 6 for 1.5yrs and enjoyed it too, but finally realized that it was stressing my knees because I couldn't quite get the saddle far enough forward. I wanted to get back to one do-it-all bike, so I ended up selling the Mach 6 to fund the new bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    What kind of build weights are you guys getting on the LS? I've narrowed down my choices to the 429trail and the LS, but it sounds like the LS is a little lighter for about the same build.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    DLd, which MRP chain guide are you running? Presumably it attaches using the front derailleur mounts? I really like the looks of the new guide from OneUp but I don't think it will work.
    I thought the BB mount would look a little cleaner, and when I messaged MRP, they thought it might be a bit more reliable with the oval ring, then one mounted on the swingarm (where the FD mount is), because of the oval ring, they recommended the 1x guide, but with the HD upper guide. You can order it that way from them direct. I just dropped the bike off to get the cables shortened now that I have the stem height dialed in, or I'd take a pic for you. I'll grab a pic once I get the bike back tomorrow.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal-Rider View Post
    And I'll add a bit to the review part of things. After demoing the standard Ripley, LS, Mojo 3, and HD3 I've come to realize I really like Ibis bikes. Not a bad one in the lot. For me, the Ripley LS is the perfect fit for how I ride. I've been looking for the one bike solution that can do anything from 50 milers to all mountain type riding. I think the LS is that bike. I ended up buying the LS this past weekend after the Ibis demo. I can't wait to get it on my home trails. Of course it has been raining since I finished building it. :-(

For reference, I've been riding a Tallboy for 3.5yrs and really do love it. I recently put a 130mm Fox 34 fork, Fox DPS shock, and -1deg headset on it. That made the Tallboy even more capable and fun, but 100mm does have its limitations. At least it bought me some time to figure out what I wanted next. And I also had a Pivot Mach 6 for 1.5yrs and enjoyed it too, but finally realized that it was stressing my knees because I couldn't quite get the saddle far enough forward. I wanted to get back to one do-it-all bike, so I ended up selling the Mach 6 to fund the new bike.
    Have to agree with you on the versatility of the LS. I was just telling a friend that I'm happy to feel I have a bike that I can take anywhere (excepting Whistler and WC DH runs, though it would be happy on many trails at Whistler) and absolutely feel like it's the right bike. At least for the trails I would want to ride anyway.

This is going to be a long-term relationship.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast