Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Ripley LS Review!

Ok. I'd wish there was a review too. What's the deal with not hearing any ride reviews yet? Bronson, 5010, Yeti 45C, Pivot Trail etc. Seem like its the only new bike with zero riding feedback. Seems weird to not have any feedback yet. I'm looking at the LS, Trail, or Following. Lots of info on the others. No LS. Rode the v2. Phenomenal uphill. Can't wait to try the LS and finally make a decision.

mtbr member
    I'm probably not the only one that wants to hurt you right now!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Agreed, what a stupid thread title

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Not cool man.

Any how..l called ibis about this very issue... Why didn't they send some LS frames out for testing? Their response was because they didn't view it as a new model, just an improvement. I beg to differ... Strictly by the numbers, it's an entirely different beast than the v1 or standard geo. Ripley. There's literally not a single ride report any where.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Hey. Sorry guys. Was really just trying show how weird it is such a highly anticipated bike has no review in any way. And show how many people would love to see a review. Ive sold my Bronson and I'm very interested in the LS. I assume it'll be soon since some are actually shiping. Maybe I should delete this post. Shows the passion we have for Ibis I guess.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    No worries man, I didn't mean to be rude. I just think everyone is very eager to see an LS review and the "!" got us all worked up. I know I was looking forward to being able to procrastinate a little at work while reading about the LS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertLoblaw View Post
    No worries man, I didn't mean to be rude. I just think everyone is very eager to see an LS review and the "!" got us all worked up. I know I was looking forward to being able to procrastinate a little at work while reading about the LS.
    I'm pretty sure it says in the Forum rules, that this is a hanging offense. LOL

mtbr member
    Working for an Ibis dealer, finally got in the first LS in an XL for the shop's owner/demo bike today. Apparently first batch large and mediums aren't going to ship until the end of the month,

Do agree it's interesting they haven't had any pro reviews out on it yet, but then if it's a long term test deal (say with Pink-bike or something) they could just have a backlog of review bikes or are waiting to publish stuff until after show season when there are less bike releases/content/other things going on.

Haven't even seen any ride reports yet so hopefully will be able to sneak a ride in later this week and possibly share some first impressions... I'm a happy HD3 owner but always fun to try new bikes

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Bugger me I was so excited,please some one give us the heads up on the LS.
    I am waiting to order a ripley but not till I read some reviews.

Well Biked
    I would think at least a Jeff Kendal Weed edit!

Santa Cruz wasted no time in getting the 5010 and Bronson testers out there. Free publicity never hurts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    And which Ibis dealer do you work for? Sunshine? I would probably make the drive over to Marin Co just to see it and take it for a spin in the P-lot.

Mike
    2015 Tang Ibis Ripley LS XT 1X+Ritchey Carbon Cockpit+Nox Wheels=
    For Sale: 2008 Intense 5.5 FRO XTR/Stans

mtbr member
    Maybe impossible to keep under wraps so they make it official? That said I think asking for an industry review is very fair. Agreed that the LS looks like a completely different bike to me.

I think Ripley owners (v1) can guess what the LS will ride like but I'd love to hear some feedback as well!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The guy I spoke with at Ibis said they'd probably send a bike over to BIKE magazine if they do another Bible of bike tests for 2016. But beyond that, they haven't sent any test bikes out, per their own admission.

So if someone does get to ride an LS model, please be sure to comment on pedaling efficiency during extended climbs and whether or not you noticed an increased amount of pedal strikes (325mm bb height!). Also, fit would be nice if you're a tall guy like me (6'5").

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlBeThere View Post
    And which Ibis dealer do you work for? Sunshine? I would probably make the drive over to Marin Co just to see it and take it for a spin in the P-lot.
    Hey Mike,

Yup do work at Sunshine. Not sure if it's on our demo schedule yet but should be no problem to swing by and check it out (again just an XL at this point).

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadiMac22 View Post
    The guy I spoke with at Ibis said they'd probably send a bike over to BIKE magazine if they do another Bible of bike tests for 2016. But beyond that, they haven't sent any test bikes out, per their own admission.

So if someone does get to ride an LS model, please be sure to comment on pedaling efficiency during extended climbs and whether or not you noticed an increased amount of pedal strikes (325mm bb height!). Also, fit would be nice if you're a tall guy like me (6'5").

So heads up. I demoed the v2 standard geo. The bottom bracket was 13.25" with nobby nics. I was worried about the low BB too. No prob. Couple strikes on a big climb. Way less than I thought there'd be.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm an XL guy so it will be perfect. I'll call before I come over and make sure the bikes around.
    Quote Originally Posted by evo233 View Post
    Hey Mike,

Yup do work at Sunshine. Not sure if it's on our demo schedule yet but should be no problem to swing by and check it out (again just an XL at this point).
    2015 Tang Ibis Ripley LS XT 1X+Ritchey Carbon Cockpit+Nox Wheels=
    For Sale: 2008 Intense 5.5 FRO XTR/Stans

mtbr member
    I was disappointed in the absence of Ibis at the Interbike Dirt Demo, but not surprised. I had the Ripley LS on my list and was able to ride the Mach 429 Trail and The Following for comparison but didn't happen.

Sounds like I'm not the only disappointed one.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Krob,

I missed IB Dirt Demo for the first time in 6 years kinda bummed but when Yeti Santa Cruz and Ibis pulled out last year I was worried about enough "fun" bikes to ride. Who was there?

I have ridden a million Intenses and rode a following for a while so looks like Pivot M429T was the only miss for me. What did you think of it, how was the fit with the shorter reach? There has not been much coverage yet...except fatbikes..

Thanks

mtbr member
    Climb it on your bike

mtbr member
    Last edited by expatrider; 11-13-2015 at 03:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FREDGOAT View Post
    Funny to see the absence of a review inspires more comment than the first review itself ;-)
    Climb it on your bike

melon farmer
    http://enduro-mtb.com/en/bike-check-...-ripley-29-ls/

Not quite a review but its the best i got

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I have a friend who's racing for Ibis and I checked out his LS last weekend with the new X-Fusion bits. He's pretty stoked on them so far but thinks the 2016 Fox stuff is a little nicer..

I can't wait until he can get me a demo XL.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I recently rode a std. Ripley at Outerbike [ no LS available ] and several rides on the Pivot Trail. The Ripley climbed very well and used all its travel on the chunky Moab downs. The climbing was excellent as expected but on the rocky drops you realized it was 120mm on the rear. The Pivot climbed about the same or very small diff. from the Ripley but on the downs it was softer and more controlled at the end of its travel. The Pivots travel seemed more like 130mm when riding. I'm still hoping to ride an LS as its at the top of my list. Ironically a riding friend rode with our group the week after on a new LS. No factory bikes few dealer bikes but they want my $6000, go figure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Ride On!
    Resurrecting this thread.. found a good review from Bike Magazine. Always like there format... guys talking about bikes

Review: Ibis Ripley LS | BIKE Magazine

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tjMountain View Post
    Resurrecting this thread.. found a good review from Bike Magazine. Always like there format... guys talking about bikes

Pretty much everything they say is spot on! I am amazed at how much better it corners than my RIP-9, and yet it is much more stable charging down rocky chunk. Like they said, it goes where you point it. Really responsive, yet stable. And the more you get on the gears, the better it climbs. You can use the pro-pedal on long climbs, but it climbs so well when open, I rarely use it.

Everything on the bike is a notch above the RIP-9. But especially the cornering. It just loves to be pitched into a corner, and I am not a good cornering rider. I now fly through corners I used to brake into. It's like going from an old Jeep to one with power steering. Even though it is easier to steer, it also does not get knocked off line as easy. It is just so easy to ride fast, and it is even more plush than the Niner, while climbing better. A win all around.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Appreciate your comparison to the Rip 9. What I don't understand is some of the reviews that say the LS gets nervous going downhill fast, with the LS slacker HTA (67-67.5) depending on fork size (130-140mm) it doesn't make sense to me. You seem to not feel that it gets nervous at all. Good to hear.

mtbr member
    I don't think the LS gets nervous either

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tjMountain View Post

Yeah, they seem to do pretty legit reviews and will tell you exactly what they like and don't like.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelsdown2002 View Post
    Pretty much everything they say is spot on! I am amazed at how much better it corners than my RIP-9, and yet it is much more stable charging down rocky chunk. Like they said, it goes where you point it. Really responsive, yet stable. And the more you get on the gears, the better it climbs. You can use the pro-pedal on long climbs, but it climbs so well when open, I rarely use it.

Everything on the bike is a notch above the RIP-9. But especially the cornering. It just loves to be pitched into a corner, and I am not a good cornering rider. I now fly through corners I used to brake into. It's like going from an old Jeep to one with power steering. Even though it is easier to steer, it also does not get knocked off line as easy. It is just so easy to ride fast, and it is even more plush than the Niner, while climbing better. A win all around.
    What size a fork are you running on it? 130mm or a 140mm? I've ridden a RIp 9 RDO and find it similar to my Tallboy LTc but the Tallboy I feel climbs better and has more travel. The Tallboy seems very planted though, good for safety I guess but if you want it playful it has to be manhandled into it. Seem the Ripley LS is not that way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    Appreciate your comparison to the Rip 9. What I don't understand is some of the reviews that say the LS gets nervous going downhill fast, with the LS slacker HTA (67-67.5) depending on fork size (130-140mm) it doesn't make sense to me. You seem to not feel that it gets nervous at all. Good to hear.
    I have a 140mm Pike on mine from my RIP-9.

I find I am much faster downhill on the Ripley. Somehow it is more responsive, but also holds a line better in the rough. I ride pretty rocky trails here in Tucson, and it is better downhill than my Motolite, RIP-9, Knolly Endorphin, or Lenz Behemoth that I owned.

I don't do big drops or jumps, but I ride very chunky, rocky trails, and this is the best bike I have had. It is efficient like an XC bike, but eats up rocks like an AM bike. I have never felt confidence on a bike like on this one. It just plain does everything extremely well. Like they said, it likes to be thrown around like a big bmx bike. I ride a Large with a 50mm stem and 750mm bar, and the steering is perfect. Just the right amount of agility, with solid stability.

mtbr member
    What size a fork are you running on it? 130mm or a 140mm? I've ridden a RIp 9 RDO and find it similar to my Tallboy LTc but the Tallboy I feel climbs better and has more travel. The Tallboy seems very planted though, good for safety I guess but if you want it playful it has to be manhandled into it. Seem the Ripley LS is not that way.
    I have a 140mm Pike. The Ripley is way more playful and responsive than the RIP-9(alloy) I had. It corners much better and pitches into corners easier. Yet I am more confident down rocky sections, and I'm letting my brakes go and flying down sections that I slowed down on before.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I have a 140mm Pike on mine from my RIP-9.

I find I am much faster downhill on the Ripley. Somehow it is more responsive, but also holds a line better in the rough. I ride pretty rocky trails here in Tucson, and it is better downhill than my Motolite, RIP-9, Knolly Endorphin, or Lenz Behemoth that I owned.

I don't do big drops or jumps, but I ride very chunky, rocky trails, and this is the best bike I have had. It is efficient like an XC bike, but eats up rocks like an AM bike. I have never felt confidence on a bike like on this one. It just plain does everything extremely well. Like they said, it likes to be thrown around like a big bmx bike. I ride a Large with a 50mm stem and 750mm bar, and the steering is perfect. Just the right amount of agility, with solid stability.
    Do you mind me asking how tall you are? I'm trying to decide between this and the following but can't find anywhere close to get a test ride in on the Ripley LS and I'm right on the cusp of the L and XL.

I'm actually in Tucson as well. What trails have you taken the bike on so far?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoose View Post
    Do you mind me asking how tall you are? I'm trying to decide between this and the following but can't find anywhere close to get a test ride in on the Ripley LS and I'm right on the cusp of the L and XL.

I'm actually in Tucson as well. What trails have you taken the bike on so far?
    How close is close? Venture north to Sedona and you can demo the Following at OTE and the Ripley LS at Fat Tire Bike Shop. Two hour drive.

mtbr member
    I live on the west side of Tucson Mountain Park. I have ridden it on pretty much every trail there, including all the Robles trails. I go up over the Explorer trail over Cat Mountain a lot, and I have also ridden Hooligan on it.

I am 5'10" with a shorter torso, and really long legs, and I got a large, and it is a perfect fit. My seat is set about 30" from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat. Reach is about 25 3/4" from center of handlebar to center of seat post at the seat rails. This being with a 50mm stem.

I had a medium Rip-9 previously, with a 75mm stem. I felt I wanted to go shorter stem and wider bars, and I think I picked perfectly, as the bike just feels right in every way!

I was worried about the increase in wheelbase, and that is a total non issue. If you watch the "Bible of Bike Tests" video, you will hear the guy say it feels "short", "tight", and "flickable". It's really weird, because I know on paper the large is 1.5" longer wheelbase than the medium RIP-9 I rode, and yet when you ride it, it feels almost smaller somehow, and more nimble and responsive. Then you hit a downhill, and it just rails. Coming down Rock Wren you can just hammer and let it fly with total confidence, and just forget you have brakes.

I would suggest going with a size where you use a short stem and long bar, as this bike seems to really like that set up. If you are wishy washy between sizes for instance, as I kind of was, go short stem. The med Niner and Ripley look close in size on paper, but I knew if I went medium I would have to run on the longer side of stem.(75-90) So I decided to go with the large(which is where I fit on their size chart) and go short stem, and I am really glad I did! It's like the short stem puts the responsiveness into the bike, and the wheelbase puts the stability in. And the wide bar gives leverage so the bars respond quick but don't try to knock the wheel offline. It just comes together beautifully, so it feels like power steering. Responsive with no fight back at the bars. Best blend of handling I have owned.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You seem to be exactly close to my measurements so I appreciate your feedback. Did you buy the Ripley LS without a demo based on what you read? If you did it sounds like this one worked out for you. I will admit I love that my Tallboy LTc has a short wheelbase and it has concerned me that LS has a longer one, but it seems on paper those measurements don't matter when on the trail in the LS.

mtbr member
    You seem to be exactly close to my measurements so I appreciate your feedback. Did you buy the Ripley LS without a demo based on what you read? If you did it sounds like this one worked out for you. I will admit I love that my Tallboy LTc has a short wheelbase and it has concerned me that LS has a longer one, but it seems on paper those measurements don't matter when on the trail in the LS.
    I did buy mine without a demo, but I did message someone who had the original Ripley. And partly I just took a bit of a chance I guess and calculated risk.

Also, I was going to have 1 1/2" more seatpost sticking out on the medium Ripley than on the medium Niner, and I already felt I had a lot sticking out as it was. I have 9" exposed now on the large Ripley, and would have had 11" exposed on a medium.

On the very first ride, I was a bit perplexed, because immediately the Ripley LS did not feel longer than the RIP-9 at all. The cockpit felt spot on. And I knew in my mind that the wheelbase was longer, but it cornered easier than the Niner. I think the lower CG made it easier to pitch into corners. It transitions quicker side to side than the Niner. Just like the guy in the "Bible of Bike tests" video said "throw out what you know on paper". My mind thought it might be slower handling, and instead it was playful and responsive in a way the Niner never was. I wouldn't sweat the added wheelbase. This is the shortest stem I ever had on a bike, and with the wide bar it is just an awesome handling setup.

Easier to pitch through corners, but yet more stable on downhills than the RIP-9, what is not to love about that?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I moved from a RIP RDO to a V1 Ripley. Kinda wish I'd known the LS was coming out, but so be it. For me, the Ripley is so much more of a fun bike than the RIP. I started on a medium and then to a small. Never felt good on the bike. Always on top. Did not find it agile, but it hauled over rough stuff at speed.

Medium Ripley just fits me really well.

I'd really like to try a Mojo 3 or LS to see what the extra length and slacker HA feels like. Never ridden anything slacker than the Ripley.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    How close is close? Venture north to Sedona and you can demo the Following at OTE and the Ripley LS at Fat Tire Bike Shop. Two hour drive.
    I don't know why I didn't think of that. 4 hours is definitely not that bad to give both of these bikes a try. Thanks for the tip

I am 5'10" with a shorter torso, and really long legs, and I got a large, and it is a perfect fit. My seat is set about 30" from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat. Reach is about 25 3/4" from center of handlebar to center of seat post at the seat rails. This being with a 50mm stem.

I would suggest going with a size where you use a short stem and long bar, as this bike seems to really like that set up. If you are wishy washy between sizes for instance, as I kind of was, go short stem. The med Niner and Ripley look close in size on paper, but I knew if I went medium I would have to run on the longer side of stem.(75-90) So I decided to go with the large(which is where I fit on their size chart) and go short stem, and I am really glad I did! It's like the short stem puts the responsiveness into the bike, and the wheelbase puts the stability in. And the wide bar gives leverage so the bars respond quick but don't try to knock the wheel offline. It just comes together beautifully, so it feels like power steering. Responsive with no fight back at the bars. Best blend of handling I have owned.
    I'm right between the large and extra large at 6', going off of their size chart. I'd say I'm more torso than less legs however so it seems extra large might be the size to try so that I can get the short stem on there. My only hesitation with the extra large is that the seat tube is tall enough that I'd be limited to a 125mm dropper and even then the post would be almost all the way slammed (my seat isn't much higher than yours).

I guess this is why I'm kind of gravitating towards the evil since the following seems to be a little longer with it's size L than the Ripley LS. I guess I'll hopefully be able to take rockman's advice and take a trip to Sedona to try out both bikes for a day.

Thanks for your help!

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I used to live in Tucson, up near CSP. I think this would be a great bike for Tucson. Fun on the 50, but also on Bug Springs/Milagrosa, and the new Ridgeline/Wild Burro loop in the Tortolitas. I haven't ridden it in Tucson yet, just got it, but I've been riding similar stuff to the chunky stuff in Tucson. Also for reference, I'm 6'1" and went with the Large with a 70mm stem and the stock lo-fi bar. Have the stem flipped and up one 5mm spacer from slammed (bars ~2" lower than the saddle). I also demoed the XL, and it just felt a little less manageable and less fun on the twisty stuff.

Agree with what the others have said. Not nervous at all. I was bombing down stuff I had been hesitant on before. Super smooth. Loving the MRP Stage after coming off a Pike on my previous bike. Just so much more composed, and it's like the bumps disappear.

I'm lazy, so here's a copy of the thread I just posted in the build thread:

So I'm really enjoying my new Ripley LS. I've had four rides on her so far, and every one has been loaded with PR's, both up and down, and even a couple top 10's, despite the fact that I'm not targeting any segments and am just out doing training rides.

Here's the first ride on her: https://www.strava.com/activities/537977953

and here's the most recent, a nice link-up of trails in Moab: https://www.strava.com/activities/540620674

and a pic! More pics attached to the rides.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BD_chD1G...y=mountaink1ng

X01 build that shipped with XTR Trails as they were out of Guide RSC's. I was bummed at first, as I've enjoyed the RSC's in the past and have found servowave models of shimano brakes to have less modulation than I'd like, but these feel great. Totally happy with that now. Other non-stock items include an MRP Stage at 140mm, Roval Traverse Fattie SL wheels with Maxxis Tomahawk EXO front, and Maxxis Ardent Race EXO rear. Wolftooth 32T Elliptical, and MRP chainguide (have to get a picture of that). ESI grips, and I added the Southpaw remote, which I also love (the throw could be a tad shorter, but it's pretty damn ergonomic and the action of the post is really smooth.) Size large, by the way. Crank brothers acid pedals, still going. 26.7 pounds in this full-on trail bike guise. Should be just under 25 with race wheels/tires/pedals.

Attachment 1063252

Attachment 1063256
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    twowheelsdown and DLd, do you mind me asking if the Following was also on your short list for new bikes when you went with the Ripley? Was there something in particular that made you choose to go the Ibis route, be it ride characteristics or something else (customer service, frame specifications, etc.)?

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    twowheelsdown and DLd, do you mind me asking if the Following was also on your short list for new bikes when you went with the Ripley? Was there something in particular that made you choose to go the Ibis route, be it ride characteristics or something else (customer service, frame specifications, etc.)?
    I heard the Following ends up with a really slack seat tube angle, especially if you're a taller guy. I fully buy into the "modern" geometry of running the seat further forward for a better position for climbing, since it will be out of the way anyway for going downhill when using a dropper, and I didn't think I'd be able to get it far enough forward on the Following, or I'd be running it right at the end of the rails. Track record for dependability and customer service was another consideration. There certainly aren't any local Evil dealers here.

On the flip side, the water bottle placement on the Following is great. I do fit a large bottle on the LS no problem, by the way. I think that extra 1/2" in the top tube makes a little more room for bottles too.

Final consideration was Evil wasn't at any of the demo events I attended (Outerbike in the fall, and Moab Spring Thaw) so I couldn't try them out. I do know one guy that has one and he seems to like it, but I only spoke to him in the parking lot about it after I had finished a ride and he's only had it a week or two.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

mtbr member
    That is actually a very good question. I was about to put the Evil Following on my credit card because I wanted one so badly. Then I decided to wait until I sold some frames and forks and not go in debt. Meantime, I heard about the upcoming Ripley LS.

I then messaged a member that had owned the original Ripley, and then the Following. He told me that Ibis had fantastic customer service, and that he still wore his Ibis hat because he is a big fan and would not hesitate to own one. I also saw a few things about Evil's customer service that made me question it. So customer service played a part for sure. I also like that they sell the tools to do their frame bearings and use easily acquired bearings.

Another factor was that I had just put X1 11speed on my RIP-9 with XO carbon cranks, and I saw the Ripley was going back to a threaded BB. That was a plus in that I could swap directly over, and I don't like press fit bottom brackets anyway.

The advice from the Ripley/Following owner was that if he were in my shoes, given the new geometry changes, threaded BB, and customer service, he would go with the Ripley. He had already gotten the Following before they announced the LS though.

mtbr member
    DLd, which MRP chain guide are you running? Presumably it attaches using the front derailleur mounts? I really like the looks of the new guide from OneUp but I don't think it will work.

mtbr member
    Here's some sizing feedback for those between L and XL. For reference I'm 6' even. In January I rented a large LS and really took a liking to it. It had a 70mm stem and fit me great. Last week I demoed a large Yeti SB4.5 with a 55mm stem and loved the fit. Then this past weekend the Ibis demo van rolled thru town, and after comparing the Yeti 4.5 geometry chart to the Ripley LS XL the night before, I thought the XL Ripley LS might just fit. I was able to demo the XL for 1.5hrs and loved it. The seat tube was close with a 150mm dropper, but it worked and the reach fit me great with a 50mm stem. I'll add that I run my saddle 31" up from the BB.

mtbr member

Ripley LS Review!

And I'll add a bit to the review part of things. After demoing the standard Ripley, LS, Mojo 3, and HD3 I've come to realize I really like Ibis bikes. Not a bad one in the lot. For me, the Ripley LS is the perfect fit for how I ride. I've been looking for the one bike solution that can do anything from 50 milers to all mountain type riding. I think the LS is that bike. I ended up buying the LS this past weekend after the Ibis demo. I can't wait to get it on my home trails. Of course it has been raining since I finished building it. :-(

For reference, I've been riding a Tallboy for 3.5yrs and really do love it. I recently put a 130mm Fox 34 fork, Fox DPS shock, and -1deg headset on it. That made the Tallboy even more capable and fun, but 100mm does have its limitations. At least it bought me some time to figure out what I wanted next. And I also had a Pivot Mach 6 for 1.5yrs and enjoyed it too, but finally realized that it was stressing my knees because I couldn't quite get the saddle far enough forward. I wanted to get back to one do-it-all bike, so I ended up selling the Mach 6 to fund the new bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    What kind of build weights are you guys getting on the LS? I've narrowed down my choices to the 429trail and the LS, but it sounds like the LS is a little lighter for about the same build.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    DLd, which MRP chain guide are you running? Presumably it attaches using the front derailleur mounts? I really like the looks of the new guide from OneUp but I don't think it will work.
    I thought the BB mount would look a little cleaner, and when I messaged MRP, they thought it might be a bit more reliable with the oval ring, then one mounted on the swingarm (where the FD mount is), because of the oval ring, they recommended the 1x guide, but with the HD upper guide. You can order it that way from them direct. I just dropped the bike off to get the cables shortened now that I have the stem height dialed in, or I'd take a pic for you. I'll grab a pic once I get the bike back tomorrow.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal-Rider View Post
    And I'll add a bit to the review part of things. After demoing the standard Ripley, LS, Mojo 3, and HD3 I've come to realize I really like Ibis bikes. Not a bad one in the lot. For me, the Ripley LS is the perfect fit for how I ride. I've been looking for the one bike solution that can do anything from 50 milers to all mountain type riding. I think the LS is that bike. I ended up buying the LS this past weekend after the Ibis demo. I can't wait to get it on my home trails. Of course it has been raining since I finished building it. :-(

For reference, I've been riding a Tallboy for 3.5yrs and really do love it. I recently put a 130mm Fox 34 fork, Fox DPS shock, and -1deg headset on it. That made the Tallboy even more capable and fun, but 100mm does have its limitations. At least it bought me some time to figure out what I wanted next. And I also had a Pivot Mach 6 for 1.5yrs and enjoyed it too, but finally realized that it was stressing my knees because I couldn't quite get the saddle far enough forward. I wanted to get back to one do-it-all bike, so I ended up selling the Mach 6 to fund the new bike.
    Have to agree with you on the versatility of the LS. I was just telling a friend that I'm happy to feel I have a bike that I can take anywhere (excepting Whistler and WC DH runs, though it would be happy on many trails at Whistler) and absolutely feel like it's the right bike. At least for the trails I would want to ride anyway.

This is going to be a long-term relationship.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TieOneOn View Post
    What kind of build weights are you guys getting on the LS? I've narrowed down my choices to the 429trail and the LS, but it sounds like the LS is a little lighter for about the same build.
    See post #16 above
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Anyone know where I can find a black LS Frame in medium that has 12x142? I found a couple in orange but all the vendors I've found only have the black with 148 boost on the rear. Really want this bike and would like to be able to use the carbon wheels I already have.

mtbr member

Ripley LS Review!

Quote Originally Posted by TieOneOn View Post
    My XL weighs in the low 26 lb range w/o pedals. That's with Maxxis DHR2 & HR2 tires. Mine is a pretty typical higher end build: Fox 34, X01, XTR, carbon bits, etc. Nothing exotic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    tryonbike.com
    that"s where I bought mine. got a good deal.

mtbr member
    Canceled a long delayed Competitive order and found one at Fanatik. Ordered frame on Monday. Built it up Wednesday and Thursday night. Shakedown ride today.

I'm 6'-1.5 with a 36.5" cycling inseam so the XL was the only option. Fits great so far and I am still playing with the spacers under the stem to get that part of the fit dialed. This frame is the boost model. I built it up with XX1/XTR mix and a 140mm Pike. Still testing the chainring size since I did not go with Boost crank spacing; right now I am using a 28t, but I want to check to see if a 30t clears the chainstay. Wheels are Project 321 with Nextie asymmetric 38mm carbon rims. No pictures yet because.... well I wanted to ride it more than look at it and photograph it.

Holy sh!t man! So far it's everything I could ask for. I'm coming off a RIP9RDO and this bike is better at everything for me. Pops off anything, corners way better and wants to be leaned and pushed. The RIP would wash-out the front wheel when I pushed it like this bike. Perhaps it's a fit thing/more compatible geometry, or perhaps it's just a better bike. After only a short shakedown I'm going with the latter. Climbs great and descends like few other in this travel category.

Build quality is excellent, Ibis does a fantastic job on making the frame look the business. I am sure I'll have more to add later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by oaklandish View Post
    Build quality is excellent, Ibis does a fantastic job on making the frame look the business. I am sure I'll have more to add later.
    Sounds good, I'd like to hear more about it later when you are on it more.

mtbr member
    I bought a new-to-me LS this past weekend after riding all the Ibis bikes at a demo last Saturday. My first ride was frustrating. The bike didn't feel anywhere as nice as the demo. I spent yesterday dialing in the suspension. I made some big changes from my starting settings. Ended up dropping the air pressure and rebound quite a bit. Now this was the bike I wanted.

Today I had my first big ride. I couldn't be more pleased. The bike is a phenomenal climber. I cleaned a tough, rocky uphill section for the first time. I left the shock open the whole day with the LSC on 3. No need for even the medium setting. Kind of nice not have to worry about flicking the lever.

On the downhills it just ate up chunky sections. I pr'd quite a few segments. I just felt so comfortable pushing the bike harder and harder. A couple of times I got going hot and had big sharp rocks dead ahead. No time to dodge them. I just bunny hopped them with ease. I definitely noticed the lighter bike and light suspension rebound here.

Even the handling is impressive. The wheelbase is 2" longer than my Tallboy, but it seems just as maneuverable.

Needless to say, I'm really digging my LS. For the way I ride, it fits my needs perfectly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Canceled a long delayed Competitive order and found one at Fanatik.
    I'm curious about Fanatik. Do they match online prices? I went through their online bike builder and it gave a discount at the end and it wasn't that good. But if I call them it may be different. I'm partial to competitive because every time I order with them they match pretty much or beat any online price I find that is better than theirs. You end up saving huge. But they are out of the LS still, last I checked. So I'm curious if you called Fanatik and if they matched what competitive was going to do for you?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm curious about Fanatik. Do they match online prices? I went through their online bike builder and it gave a discount at the end and it wasn't that good. But if I call them it may be different. I'm partial to competitive because every time I order with them they match pretty much or beat any online price I find that is better than theirs. You end up saving huge. But they are out of the LS still, last I checked. So I'm curious if you called Fanatik and if they matched what competitive was going to do for you?
    Most companies don't price match an out of stock item. Why would you? You can wait and pay less or pay a little more and get it now.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    No price match.... but I got the frame, CC was not totally clear when they were even going to get it, because Ibis wasn't even totally clear on when they would be getting them. I would have prefered to save a couple of hundred bucks but a month or two of not riding this bike during prime season isn't even close to worth it for me; so I bailed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ok, I guess I was not clear. I'm not talking price matching the Ripley Ls, but the overall build. Based on the Fanatik and Competitive have the same price for LS frame. It seems oaklandish did not buy a kit bike but chose the components. I say that because he mentioned he got a blend of XX1 and XTR. I surmise an XX1 cassette and XTR shifter and der.

By the way, I don't know about most companies. The question was about competitive and Fanatik. My experience for years with competitive is they price match everything online! Whether it is in stock or out of stock. I've ordered out of stock items many times over the phone and they price match. May not make sense to you but I was willing to wait a couple weeks while getting a good deal in the meantime. My question is primarily about fanatik if they price match what competitive offered him.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    No price match.... but I got the frame, CC was not totally clear when they were even going to get it, because Ibis wasn't even totally clear on when they would be getting them. I would have prefered to save a couple of hundred bucks but a month or two of not riding this bike during prime season isn't even close to worth it for me; so I bailed.
    No, I understand totally. Thanks for answering my question. I would have too, weather is about to get really good soon. I have never used Fanatik but just wondered how they are. I am not opposed to waiting a 2-3 weeks but a month or two is too much.

mtbr member
    Rev - I haven't purchased a complete bike, custom or otherwise, for myself in over twenty years. I had all the other parts sitting on my shop bench waiting for a frame. I scoured the internets and got great deals on the individual pieces. Built the wheels while I was recovering from a hand fracture.

Are you looking for the frameset? Or a complete bike? If you are looking for a frameset try Jenson for the black versions in boost LS. If fully built, CC has complete builds in stock. you could call and see if they could make some part swaps to get it dialed for you. On a lark, I asked them to strip a complete and send me just the frame, but they have agreements with Ibis that apparently prohibit this, but a few parts being swapped doesn't sound so impossible to pull off.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for your response. Yeah, CC does not swap parts on kit bikes, I've tried it in the past. Best to do a frame up build and usually the beat the price from the bike brand.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Personally I would contact Bikeco. They have great prices on Ibis.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal-Rider View Post
    I bought a new-to-me LS this past weekend after riding all the Ibis bikes at a demo last Saturday. My first ride was frustrating. The bike didn't feel anywhere as nice as the demo. I spent yesterday dialing in the suspension. I made some big changes from my starting settings. Ended up dropping the air pressure and rebound quite a bit. Now this was the bike I wanted.

Today I had my first big ride. I couldn't be more pleased. The bike is a phenomenal climber. I cleaned a tough, rocky uphill section for the first time. I left the shock open the whole day with the LSC on 3. No need for even the medium setting. Kind of nice not have to worry about flicking the lever.

On the downhills it just ate up chunky sections. I pr'd quite a few segments. I just felt so comfortable pushing the bike harder and harder. A couple of times I got going hot and had big sharp rocks dead ahead. No time to dodge them. I just bunny hopped them with ease. I definitely noticed the lighter bike and light suspension rebound here.

Even the handling is impressive. The wheelbase is 2" longer than my Tallboy, but it seems just as maneuverable.

Needless to say, I'm really digging my LS. For the way I ride, it fits my needs perfectly.
    It sounds like you did the same thing I did. The first ride I put way too much pressure in the shock. It felt okay, but a little less plush then my RIP-9.

I then realized I had not used anywhere near all the travel, and dropped the pressure significantly, and WOW! Night and day difference. Still kept all the efficiency, but plusher and more stable than the Niner. It does not need high pressures for efficiency, since the design is so effective. Setting it plusher is what worked for me, and now I really love the suspension action in every way.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    It sounds like you did the same thing I did. The first ride I put way too much pressure in the shock. It felt okay, but a little less plush then my RIP-9.

I then realized I had not used anywhere near all the travel, and dropped the pressure significantly, and WOW! Night and day difference. Still kept all the efficiency, but plusher and more stable than the Niner. It does not need high pressures for efficiency, since the design is so effective. Setting it plusher is what worked for me, and now I really love the suspension action in every way.
    When you say you initially put in way too much pressure, do you mean you put in too much based on following recommended pressures, or you followed sag recommendations (27%, or 11-12mm) and that pressure ended up being way too much? Just wondering, because following sag guidelines, I ended up with 210psi in the shock to get the 11-12mm of sag, with my weight of 165lbs. That seemed like a high pressure to me. The bike rode fine, pedaled excellently of course, but I had about a 1/4" of stroke left at the end of the Mag 4 trail in Moab at high speed (with some big hits that felt like I bottomed out, but apparently didn't) so I'm thinking it seems high, or I could take a spacer out of the shock if it comes with one in.

Also, a side note: With the EVOL shock, you need to cycle the shock through its travel as your adding air pressure to equalize the positive and negative chambers. See this from the Fox website.

The EVOL air sleeve is an option on FLOAT DPS and FLOAT X models. The EVOL air sleeve provides an external negative air chamber added to the main air sleeve to significantly reduce the force to initiate travel, providing excellent small bump performance. The system is also more linear in its progression offering improved mid stroke support and better bottom out resistance. It is important to add or remove air from the EVOL sleeve as detailed below to experience the best possible performance.

When adding air to the air chamber, it is important to equalize the positive and negative air chambers by slowly compressing the shock through 25% of its travel 10-20 times after every 50psi addition.

Adding air to the shock without periodically equalizing the air chambers can lead to a condition in which the shock has more pressure in the positive chamber than the negative. In this condition the shock will be very stiff and can top-out. You can equalize the air chambers by slowly compressing the shock until you feel and hear a transfer of air. Hold the shock at this point for a few seconds to allow the air to transfer from the positive to the negative chamber.

When releasing air from the air chamber, it is important to do this slowly so the shock can transfer air from the negative to positive chamber and then be realeased through the Schrader valve.

Releasing the air pressure too quickly can induce a condition in which the negative chamber has more pressure than the positive chamber. In this condition the shock will compress into its travel and not fully extend. You can remedy this by adding air pressure until the shock extends, then slowly compressing the shock through 25% of its travel 10-20 times.

And this:
    Start by setting the shock air pressure (psi) to match your body weight in pounds. With the air pump attached to the shock valve, slowly cycle your shock through 25% of its travel 10 times as you reach your desired pressure. This will equalize the positive and negative air chambers and will change the pressure on the pump gauge.

I only saw that last part now about leaving the shock pump on so you can see what the actual pressure is after you equalize. I'm probably actually lower than 210psi after equalizing the chambers. Still didn't use all the travel though. I might be able to take a spacer out to get more travel.

EDIT: BTW, that's from here: SHOCK- 2016 FLOAT DPS/ FLOAT X | Bike Help Center | FOX
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

mtbr member

Ripley LS Review!

Regarding suspension pressures. I set my fork to 25% sag and shock to 30% sag initially. I then adjusted the pressures down from there to get the suspension feel I wanted. And I did cycle the suspension just to be sure, but I was tuning a used fork and shock.

I don't know where I'm at on sag now %-wise. I just know I like it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    When you say you initially put in way too much pressure, do you mean you put in too much based on following recommended pressures, or you followed sag recommendations (27%, or 11-12mm) and that pressure ended up being way too much? Just wondering, because following sag guidelines, I ended up with 210psi in the shock to get the 11-12mm of sag, with my weight of 165lbs. That seemed like a high pressure to me. The bike rode fine, pedaled excellently of course, but I had about a 1/4" of stroke left at the end of the Mag 4 trail in Moab at high speed (with some big hits that felt like I bottomed out, but apparently didn't) so I'm thinking it seems high, or I could take a spacer out of the shock if it comes with one in.

Also, a side note: With the EVOL shock, you need to cycle the shock through its travel as your adding air pressure to equalize the positive and negative chambers. See this from the Fox website.[/url]
    I did follow the "cycle" procedure when pressuring. I may have been in a hurry somewhat on that first ride. Also, it is not a very long stroke, so changes are a little bit hard to measure. A bit hard to accurately see what 10psi more does. It's real easy to change things just by how you sit down on the bike. I also think it is best measured after a ride has broken things in.

I ended up well above my riding weight in the shock, but seemed to be getting the recommended sag. I think I was planting my ass down too hard to be honest.

So after the first ride I observed the unused stroke, and dropped to my riding weight, and it's working well for me now. My advice to new owners would be to not try measuring 11mm like I was trying to do. Set it to your riding weight, do a ride and check the travel you are using, and go from there.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Yeah, I think I'm going to go a bit lower. The thing about checking it after a break-in ride is good advice as well.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    As a v1 Ripley owner, I went back and forth between multiple scenarios - swap to LS frame, get a slacker second bike like HD3, H3 or SC 5010, or just ride and be happy. Of course, I couldn't sit on the sidelines no matter how hard I tried. It's like the "force" forced me into buying an LS.

My justification: (1) posts/reviews seem to be glowing, (2) I wanted longer reach (I'm 6 foot and on a large), (3) Wife may not notice swapping a black from for a black frame, I get a good deal from pro bike supply (my only lbs sucks), (4) wanted slacker HT, and (5) want to be more aggressive confident going down (I know, it's the rider but....

Anyway, this string of posts and others were of great value - hopefully as frame arrives Friday.

One slight issue. I have I9 non-boost wheel set but Mark at Linderetts is sending me a 99.9% finished prototype adapter/spacer kit. According to my sales guy at Pro Bike, Ibis has tested the Lindarets spacers for DT Swiss and Hope hubs on an HD3 and they work great and won't void warranty. It may not be perfect and I might up getting new resr hub at some point it should do the trick for now.

Now the waiting....

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cgnreno View Post
    As a v1 Ripley owner, I went back and forth between multiple scenarios - swap to LS frame, get a slacker second bike like HD3, H3 or SC 5010, or just ride and be happy. Of course, I couldn't sit on the sidelines no matter how hard I tried. It's like the "force" forced me into buying an LS.

My justification: (1) posts/reviews seem to be glowing, (2) I wanted longer reach (I'm 6 foot and on a large), (3) Wife may not notice swapping a black from for a black frame, I get a good deal from pro bike supply (my only lbs sucks), (4) wanted slacker HT, and (5) want to be more aggressive confident going down (I know, it's the rider but....

Anyway, this string of posts and others were of great value - hopefully as frame arrives Friday.

One slight issue. I have I9 non-boost wheel set but Mark at Linderetts is sending me a 99.9% finished prototype adapter/spacer kit. According to my sales guy at Pro Bike, Ibis has tested the Lindarets spacers for DT Swiss and Hope hubs on an HD3 and they work great and won't void warranty. It may not be perfect and I might up getting new resr hub at some point it should do the trick for now.

Now the waiting....
    I think you're gonna love it. One quick note, you probably know this already, but you will need to re-dish the wheel. It will be 3mm right of center with just the adapters (I think... I could have the direction wrong.) The black frame looks pretty freaking sweet too.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cgnreno View Post

Now the waiting....
    Well, I hope it shows up by Friday. Let us know your take on the bike after a couple rides, climbing, descending, agility, etc. The LS seems to be a real all around tool. I know everyone says there is no one quiver rig but the LS seems close to it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I ordered a Medium Black LS frame Monday from backcountry that's scheduled to be here Friday. I've been riding a Pivot Mach 5.7 for the last 3 years so this should be a big change. The 5.7 is nice but with 26" wheels and longer travel that I really didn't use 90% of the time. I am ready for a change. No local dealers or demos around me so ordering without trying out first. Fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    Small update/observations:

Climbing: The DW link plus the new Fox shock make this bike an amazingly efficient climber. I did a ride Sunday that involved about 4 miles of Road before the trail, with lots of climbing. During the climb I had the shock locked-out and noticed a bouncing sensation that reminded me of something that I hadn't felt in about four years. It took me a minute to realize that the bounce was from the rear wheel, or more specifically the 23PSI of air in the 2.35 Ikon rear tire. This thing locks out like a hardtail and climbs like a mother effer! This is compared to my Rip9RDO (more trail oriented) and my Jet9RDO which is a XC race machine rocket. I would venture to guess that if the Ripley LS was built up with the same XC kit as the Jet9, I would see pretty decent gains on climbs. The Niners just sucked up that tire bounce into the suspension design so I never felt that hardtail like rhythmic bounce during seated climbing.

Switchback: On a few tight uphill switchbacks, the slacker head angle and longer wheelbase offered a bit of a challenge and made these sections more difficult to clear than the Jet9 but about the same as the Rip9. Nothing groundbreaking here as one could guess the geometry would basically not be able to defy the reality of the trails in the real world.

Jumps: This bike likes to pop off stuff! I will have to retrain my balance points and timing to get the bike to fly as fluid as I was on the older bikes, but this is the same with any new bike. I can say that I find myself much higher in the air with a bit less effort than on the Rip9. Shock set-up still is not totally dialled and I don't have a complete feel for the settings and how they react to the jumps. For me, this tuning and feel for the preload and rebound shock settings are as important as anything when jumping. I can say that I feel confident that this bike does not lack in the fun department or whippability.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I did follow the "cycle" procedure when pressuring. I may have been in a hurry somewhat on that first ride. Also, it is not a very long stroke, so changes are a little bit hard to measure. A bit hard to accurately see what 10psi more does. It's real easy to change things just by how you sit down on the bike. I also think it is best measured after a ride has broken things in.

I ended up well above my riding weight in the shock, but seemed to be getting the recommended sag. I think I was planting my ass down too hard to be honest.

So after the first ride I observed the unused stroke, and dropped to my riding weight, and it's working well for me now. My advice to new owners would be to not try measuring 11mm like I was trying to do. Set it to your riding weight, do a ride and check the travel you are using, and go from there.
    Note that the last 1/4" + of the shaft is not used as part of the stroke, so it looks like you didn't get full travel, but actually may have. (You could let all the air out and bottom the shock and STILL not go close to the end of the shaft)

Full shaft travel is 44 mm. On our 2015-2017 Fox DPS Evol Ripley shocks most are running 10% higher than RIDING weight to get the right sag. This will give you a steeper seat angle with better climbing and cornering. If you run more sag, it rides OK, but the front end will be harder to manage on steep climbs and most people put out less power when they move back due to the slacker seat angle.

It takes about 10 cycles of the shock to equalize the negative spring to any new pressure, so sometimes you end up with more sag than you had initially. The shocks are excellent, but that is pretty fussy detail that is a new thing with this model. So, watch out for that too...

Cheers!
    Hans

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc View Post
    Note that the last 1/4" + of the shaft is not used as part of the stroke, so it looks like you didn't get full travel, but actually may have. (You could let all the air out and bottom the shock and STILL not go close to the end of the shaft)

Full shaft travel is 44 mm. On our 2015-2017 Fox DPS Evol Ripley shocks most are running 10% higher than RIDING weight to get the right sag. This will give you a steeper seat angle with better climbing and cornering. If you run more sag, it rides OK, but the front end will be harder to manage on steep climbs and most people put out less power when they move back due to the slacker seat angle.

It takes about 10 cycles of the shock to equalize the negative spring to any new pressure, so sometimes you end up with more sag than you had initially. The shocks are excellent, but that is pretty fussy detail that is a new thing with this model. So, watch out for that too...

Cheers!
    Hans
    I'm going to counterpoint this. Start with what Hans recommends but don't be afraid to experiment. I started with 10% over body weight and found the shock too harsh for my liking. I ended up at 10% under body weight and it's better to me. No issues with climbing so far, but I do use full travel often and am getting some pedal strikes. I'm willing to live with these. I did just order some volume spacers to play with. YMMV

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Small update/observations:

Climbing: The DW link plus the new Fox shock make this bike an amazingly efficient climber. I did a ride Sunday that involved about 4 miles of Road before the trail, with lots of climbing. During the climb I had the shock locked-out and noticed a bouncing sensation that reminded me of something that I hadn't felt in about four years. It took me a minute to realize that the bounce was from the rear wheel, or more specifically the 23PSI of air in the 2.35 Ikon rear tire. This thing locks out like a hardtail and climbs like a mother effer! This is compared to my Rip9RDO (more trail oriented) and my Jet9RDO which is a XC race machine rocket. I would venture to guess that if the Ripley LS was built up with the same XC kit as the Jet9, I would see pretty decent gains on climbs. The Niners just sucked up that tire bounce into the suspension design so I never felt that hardtail like rhythmic bounce during seated climbing.

Switchback: On a few tight uphill switchbacks, the slacker head angle and longer wheelbase offered a bit of a challenge and made these sections more difficult to clear than the Jet9 but about the same as the Rip9. Nothing groundbreaking here as one could guess the geometry would basically not be able to defy the reality of the trails in the real world.

Jumps: This bike likes to pop off stuff! I will have to retrain my balance points and timing to get the bike to fly as fluid as I was on the older bikes, but this is the same with any new bike. I can say that I find myself much higher in the air with a bit less effort than on the Rip9. Shock set-up still is not totally dialled and I don't have a complete feel for the settings and how they react to the jumps. For me, this tuning and feel for the preload and rebound shock settings are as important as anything when jumping. I can say that I feel confident that this bike does not lack in the fun department or whippability.
    Thanks for that input. I'm currently on a Jet9 RDO that I'm thinking about replacing with a Ripley LS. How would you rate the acceleration of the Ripley vs. the Jet9 RDO? Does the Ripley have that "punch" feel when you get on the gas, so to speak?

I really, really like my Jet9 RDO as good little trail rocket, but it leaves me wanting when it comes to hitting jumps and stuff. I like to mix it up with my roadie/xc buddies with shaved legs so I still need a responsive bike... though my Jet9 could be considered "burly" compared to some of their bikes (Pinarello Dogma XC, Epic29, S-Works Stumpjumper HT, etc), but that doesn't concern me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    I thought the BB mount would look a little cleaner, and when I messaged MRP, they thought it might be a bit more reliable with the oval ring, then one mounted on the swingarm (where the FD mount is), because of the oval ring, they recommended the 1x guide, but with the HD upper guide. You can order it that way from them direct. I just dropped the bike off to get the cables shortened now that I have the stem height dialed in, or I'd take a pic for you. I'll grab a pic once I get the bike back tomorrow.
    I'm not sure what the HD upper guide is? I guess I can call MRP but I don't see anything called HD on their product line.

edit to add: never mind. I got it squared away. The bigger upper guide makes sense with an oval ring since it still surrounds the chain when the ring is at its lowest point.
    Last edited by rockman; 04-29-2016 at 06:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadiMac22 View Post
    Thanks for that input. I'm currently on a Jet9 RDO that I'm thinking about replacing with a Ripley LS. How would you rate the acceleration of the Ripley vs. the Jet9 RDO? Does the Ripley have that "punch" feel when you get on the gas, so to speak?

I really, really like my Jet9 RDO as good little trail rocket, but it leaves me wanting when it comes to hitting jumps and stuff. I like to mix it up with my roadie/xc buddies with shaved legs so I still need a responsive bike... though my Jet9 could be considered "burly" compared to some of their bikes (Pinarello Dogma XC, Epic29, S-Works Stumpjumper HT, etc), but that doesn't concern me.
    The Ripley is more efficient for me. Having said that, I choose to build it more burley as the climbs are just the part that happens before the ride actually begins. I bought this bike for the descending capabilities and its climbing prowess turns out to be a pretty big added bonus, not the major factor for getting the frame. I can tell you that out in NorCal the Jet9 was pretty scary on descents. The linkage design was not nearly stiff enough and would shimmy from side to side when pedaling downhill at speeds over 30mph. I like the Jet9 for lots of stuff but, that long ass chainstay and 71.5 degree head angle are pretty dated and having tried this newer geometry trend, I can say that I am definitely on board.

Before getting the Ripley, I switched my xc/trail parts from the Jet over to the Rip9RDO and rebuilt my pike and reduced the travel down from the 140mm to 120mm. With the lighter wheels and drivetrain the Rip takes the light duty work and does just fine as a Jet substitute. This left the Ripley as the balls to the wall trail/AM build that I was looking for. I love it so far and I'm still dialing the suspension in, we'll see this weekend what the changes give me.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Cheers!
    Hans
    Just saw this. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks! Now I have to go measure my shaft. That sounds so wrong...
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    May 2010
    At 6'5" I'm thinking an XL may still be too small for me....Any tall guys on the new LS?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azfishman View Post
    At 6'5" I'm thinking an XL may still be too small for me....Any tall guys on the new LS?
    Tom from Ibis posting. I am 6'6" and ride and XL Ripley, and I love it. I am pretty evenly proportioned, 38" inseam and a BB to saddle top measurement of 86 cm. I run a 90mm stem with 760 width bars. If you can't imagine running a stem longer than 50mm the Ripley LS might not be for you, but in my opinion taller people tend to have a more rearward weight bias and running a longer stem than is considered currently fashionable helps keep you balanced over the bike. This keeps the front end from pushing on less than steep terrain. With the slack HTA, big wheels and longish front center the bike still feels pretty invincible on descents. There's isn't any trail in the Santa Cruz area that I wouldn't feel comfortable riding the LS on.
    Tom Morgan
    Ibis Cycles Inc.
    ibiscycles.com

May 2010
    Ask and ye shall receive! Thx. That's reassuring info. I see there are some folks that buy from jenson, Competitive Cyclist etc.....Is that common practice as opposed to buying from a LBS or certified Ibis retailer? This bike looks like a killer value in the 1x Special Blend.

mtbr member
    Tom from Ibis again. For people who do not live close to an Ibis dealer, Competitive, Jenson, Wrench Science, Fanatik and Cambria are a great alternative. However, if you live near an Ibis dealer that are substantial benefits to working with your LBS over the lifetime of owning your bike. On the front end, you may get the bike at a lower price from an online retailer, but they cannot provide you with the service and ongoing support that your LBS can. So, unless you are a skilled mechanic and fully up to speed on everything in the bike world your LBS can provide you with a valuable service. Ultimately, if everyone buys their bikes online the LBS will have to raise their prices for service in order to make their business viable.
    Tom Morgan
    Ibis Cycles Inc.
    ibiscycles.com

May 2010
    Thanks Tom! I was wondering why I would want to get a Boost bike vs a 142 ? Would I see that much more benefit? Also seems like the newer bikes on the Special Blend have a better component spec....Ibis wide wheels etc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Hi - been a long time SC fan and looking to keep my N3 but replace TB2 with TB3. I know it will be a bit biased here but Rip LS has been on my short list. Anyone compare LS w TB3 and is the LS closer to HT or TB3? Seems in between. In the next weeks I'll demo the LS from HQ. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Hi - been a long time SC fan and looking to keep my N3 but replace TB2 with TB3. I know it will be a bit biased here but Rip LS has been on my short list. Anyone compare LS w TB3 and is the LS closer to HT or TB3? Seems in between. In the next weeks I'll demo the LS from HQ. Cheers.

Ride On!

6 Months and still loving it!!

Realized today after another killer ride that I have had my Ripley LS for 6 months. I really dig this bike, I have found that my riding abilities are getting better along with my willingness to push the edge some. The Riply LS is very capable and handles everything I throw at it. I ride often, and almost always set new PR's on the trails I ride regularly. What really gets me is, that on several occasions I considered myself just having a casual ride without any efforts at stepping things up a notch, and find new PR's.

Why the Ripley LS? Last summer at the Meyer's Mountain Bike Festival I got to demo a standard Ripley and decided to take it up middle section of Armstrong Pass to see how it climbed. Now, this was after doing shuttle runs on sidewinder/corral most of the day. I was amazed at how it climbed with the DW Link! I finally had to turn myself around to get the bike back to the demo van. I found out about the LS version that was becoming available and ended-up buying one without demoing the LS version, it was a risk, but one I am glad I took.

I know I am not alone, getting the "Gear Head" stuff going with all the websites, ect. And with all the new buzz about plus bikes, I thought maybe I pulled the trigger too soon. With Hans Dampf's 2.35's on 941's, I have all the traction I need for my riding style. I intend on demoing one of the Mojo 3's soon just to check it out, but am pretty sure I have found a bike that I can be happy with for the foreseeable future. If you told me I would be this happy on a 120mm 29er a year ago, I would have laughed. Just goes to show what do I know Ride On!

mtbr member

Hope

Quote Originally Posted by azfishman View Post
    Thanks Tom! I was wondering why I would want to get a Boost bike vs a 142 ? Would I see that much more benefit? Also seems like the newer bikes on the Special Blend have a better component spec....Ibis wide wheels etc.
    In terms of function you will not notice much. We have seen a measurable increase in lateral stiffness from Boost, due to the triangulation of the rear end, but the thing is that Boost is the new standard (hopefully for a while). Over the next few years you will see support for 142 decline from all of the component manufacturers, as there is no reason to maintain both standards.

Yes, we wanted the Special Blend bikes to be a good deal. Shimano SLX wasn't available in11-spd this year so we used a mostly XT drivetrain, and the Ibis wheels cost us more, but they add so much to the bike's performance, and we don't have to stock a different wheelset. So we were willing to eat the added cost.
    Tom Morgan
    Ibis Cycles Inc.
    ibiscycles.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall Tom View Post
    In terms of function you will not notice much. We have seen a measurable increase in lateral stiffness from Boost, due to the triangulation of the rear end, but the thing is that Boost is the new standard (hopefully for a while). Over the next few years you will see support for 142 decline from all of the component manufacturers, as there is no reason to maintain both standards.

Yes, we wanted the Special Blend bikes to be a good deal. Shimano SLX wasn't available in11-spd this year so we used a mostly XT drivetrain, and the Ibis wheels cost us more, but they add so much to the bike's performance, and we don't have to stock a different wheelset. So we were willing to eat the added cost.
    Unless I'm mistaken and contrary to what the Ibis website states it appears Ibis is no longer offering the LS with 142 anyway. If you want an LS it's Boost or bust.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Ripley LS Review!

Cheers!
    Hans
    Thanks so much for this recommendation! I carefully setup my bike suspension using the provided guide and to be honest, I had a serious case of buyers remorse after the first couple of rides. The front washed out in the corners, pedal strikes...I was slower just about everywhere.

I ditched the riser bar for a flat bar and boosted my shock pressure from 210 to 250psi. The change was mind blowing. Weirdly, the sag didn't move much...probably from 11mm to 10mm.

Don't hesitate trying a bit higher pressure than recommended. This bike absolutely rips when setup right.

Ripley LS Review!-image1464722725.460100.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    This bike as a special blend build, currently $4000 at JensonUSA, is really starting to peak my interest. However I think it'll still be nice to run a 140mm fork on occasion.

Ibis Ripley LS Special Blend 1X > Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA

It's my understanding that the Pike RCT3 is relatively easily changed from 130 to 140 mm travel, any LS owners out there running this combo? Have any of you upped the travel to 140 mm? General impressions good or bad?

Also any Special Blend owners that decided to change up the stock components some? If so which ones and why?

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by icelt View Post
    This bike as a special blend build, currently $4000 at JensonUSA, is really starting to peak my interest. However I think it'll still be nice to run a 140mm fork on occasion.

Ibis Ripley LS Special Blend 1X > Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA

It's my understanding that the Pike RCT3 is relatively easily changed from 130 to 140 mm travel, any LS owners out there running this combo? Have any of you upped the travel to 140 mm? General impressions good or bad?

Also any Special Blend owners that decided to change up the stock components some? If so which ones and why?
    I'd be adding a dropper post for sure. Once you get to around 68.5deg HA or slacker, I think a dropper really becomes mandatory, because you just have to lean a bike over that much further to corner at speed and your leg is simply in the way with the seat raised. It's not personal preference, so much as just reality, you can't lean the bike over as much with the seat raised without leaning with the bike more and losing the downward pressure on the tires that gives you traction. The other option of course, is simply to go slower, but with how good this bike is, who wants to do that?

Also look at replacing the cassette with an XG-1195 so you can replace the big cog when it wears out. Saves money in the long run over having to replace the whole cassette every time the big cog wears out (big cog is aluminum, the rest are steel so they last longer.) Plus you can upgrade to a 44T cog when you replace it. I went with a Wolf Tooth one, and upped my front chainring to a 34T, works great.

EDIT: Switched to a 34 on my hardtail when I did that, stayed 32 (but oval, also wolftooth) on the RipleyLS as I was worried about interference. I'm glad for that also. I'm never spun out during actual mountain biking.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Does the Wolf Tooth 44T seem more durable than the stock Sram 42T?

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by phrider View Post
    Does the Wolf Tooth 44T seem more durable than the stock Sram 42T?
    It's holding up good so far. No issues. Shifting as good as stock. B-tension screw had to be screwed in a few turns to gain the clearance for the extra teeth.

They're both aluminum, so I'd guess wear would be similar. I got almost 1,900 miles out of the first one. Only have about 240 on it so far. It's on my hardtail and I ride my Ripley more often, though I've been on it this week, since my Ripley is in the shop (just for a KS Lev warranty issue, nothing with the Ripley itself.)

It was certainly nice having the extra low end when I hit some steep sections. I'm looking forward to swapping that cassette over to my Ripley. I did run it on the Ripley for a race I did, because it's on my race wheels, and I didn't adjust the derailleur back after I used it, and it still shifts fine on the stock cassette too. I'm thinking I'll swap it onto my everyday wheels for the off-season.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    hey guys! Just put 70 miles on my new Ripley LS . I came from a TB LT al and I will copy and paste my thoughts from another thread. Hopefully it might be helpful to anyone looking for a review!

I ended up with a Ripley LS Med with a 140mm Pike and 32H I9 torch with boost. I was not able to demo the bike so I was strictly going by reviews and feedback of others. After 65 miles Here are my thoughts on the Ripley LS vs TB LT:

1. The first thing that jumped out at me was the pedaling efficiency . Its not even close and Strava confirms it. Especially on techy climbs the Ripley just crawls over everything , the traction is unbelievable . I would have swore the TB was efficient and a good climber but I was amazed at the difference. I leave the shock wide open and it is still much firmer than the TB on trail mode. The RLS is just a rocket under pedaling power.

2. If someone asked if my TB was stiff I would have swore up and down it was. I had the 24H i9 torch on the TB and now the 32H on the RLS but here again it is noticeable the difference is stiffness . Granted my TB was al and I know a carbon TB would compare much more favorably but wow the RLS is so so stiff and planted

3. HTA on steep stuff I certainly feel more confident and again strava confirms the change was for the better. On the TB I felt like I was looking down at drops like on a roller coaster where the RLS keeps me facing more down trail as it eats up the steep stuff. I worried it would be floppy on climbs but so far only in the steepest of sections in the granny gear did the front end want to wonder a bit. Here again Im happy with the new bike.

4. Suspension The DW seems more plush than the VPP and although I go through my travel more often on the RLS I would never guess I am missing 15mm in the rear. The pike likewise feels really nice.

5 Weight again not fair to compare an al and carbon bike but I was able to loose about 3.5 lbs in the upgrade and I feel it. The RLS build is about as light as I can be for Pisgah riding and is right at 28lbs. I was hoping for lighter but I do have the 140 fork, burly tires, dropper and 32H i9s. There is not much room for upgrade that will make a noticeable difference . I flirted with a Remedy 29 9.9 that was 25lbs ( How do they do that and still have 140mm travel?) I was hoping to be around 26 or 27 but I don't want to pucker too much in the gnarly stuff and I want my dropper.

6. Handling The RLS wants to be leaned not steered from the bars and while it is taking some getting used to, I do feel it is overall a better handling bike but not by much. I did notice the steering is not as sharp, I do miss that on the TB . The longer wheel base and slacker HTA make tight slow turns a bit tricky . I am having more trouble with tight switchbacks than the TB. At speed the RLS excels but for slower tech moves I would side with the TB. All the hype about shorter chain stays has not made sense to me. The RLS manuals slightly easier than the TB but not a game changer and again the short wheelbase of the TB was great in certain situations .

7. The last 2 points are areas the I can live with but I do miss the TB. First pedal strikes , I thought the TB was bad but the RLS is even worse. So far nothing to worry about but I do strike more often on the RLS and sometimes in spots I would not expect it.

8. I have pretty short legs ( 29in inseam) and the RLS apparently has a much higher seatpost collar because with the same dropper ( Reverb Stealth 125) I cannot get the seat down far enough to even stand flat footed on it. Of course it goes way higher than I need which would be great for you long legged guys but I am now shopping for a low profile dropper because I just can't get it down completely out of the way like on the TB.

So overall I do feel like I have made a noticeable upgrade and I am enjoying the heck out of the bike. Some of the changes in geometry made compromises that make me miss the TB LT but overall I am very happy with the ride. I think I would also have been happy with the Mach 429 trail but there again if you have the luxury of demo ing a bike then do it!

mtbr member
    I hear you on #7. Its my only gripe and the only reason I would consider selling my LS and buying a different frame.

There is no getting around a low BB when trying to climb granny gear steep and technical rock/rut sections. You get used to the low BB and work around it, but in certain situations I wish it was higher.

Apart from steep rock/rut climbs, the LS is A+.

Quote Originally Posted by freedomrockslimeball View Post

7. The last 2 points are areas the I can live with but I do miss the TB. First pedal strikes , I thought the TB was bad but the RLS is even worse. So far nothing to worry about but I do strike more often on the RLS and sometimes in spots I would not expect it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Yeah I think I will try 170mm cranks and see if that helps

Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk View Post
    I hear you on #7. Its my only gripe and the only reason I would consider selling my LS and buying a different frame.

There is no getting around a low BB when trying to climb granny gear steep and technical rock/rut sections. You get used to the low BB and work around it, but in certain situations I wish it was higher.

Apart from steep rock/rut climbs, the LS is A+.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freedomrockslimeball View Post
    hey guys! Just put 70 miles on my new Ripley LS . I came from a TB LT al and I will copy and paste my thoughts from another thread. Hopefully it might be helpful to anyone looking for a review!

I ended up with a Ripley LS Med with a 140mm Pike and 32H I9 torch with boost. I was not able to demo the bike so I was strictly going by reviews and feedback of others. After 65 miles Here are my thoughts on the Ripley LS vs TB LT:

1. The first thing that jumped out at me was the pedaling efficiency . Its not even close and Strava confirms it. Especially on techy climbs the Ripley just crawls over everything , the traction is unbelievable . I would have swore the TB was efficient and a good climber but I was amazed at the difference. I leave the shock wide open and it is still much firmer than the TB on trail mode. The RLS is just a rocket under pedaling power.

2. If someone asked if my TB was stiff I would have swore up and down it was. I had the 24H i9 torch on the TB and now the 32H on the RLS but here again it is noticeable the difference is stiffness . Granted my TB was al and I know a carbon TB would compare much more favorably but wow the RLS is so so stiff and planted

3. HTA on steep stuff I certainly feel more confident and again strava confirms the change was for the better. On the TB I felt like I was looking down at drops like on a roller coaster where the RLS keeps me facing more down trail as it eats up the steep stuff. I worried it would be floppy on climbs but so far only in the steepest of sections in the granny gear did the front end want to wonder a bit. Here again Im happy with the new bike.

4. Suspension The DW seems more plush than the VPP and although I go through my travel more often on the RLS I would never guess I am missing 15mm in the rear. The pike likewise feels really nice.

5 Weight again not fair to compare an al and carbon bike but I was able to loose about 3.5 lbs in the upgrade and I feel it. The RLS build is about as light as I can be for Pisgah riding and is right at 28lbs. I was hoping for lighter but I do have the 140 fork, burly tires, dropper and 32H i9s. There is not much room for upgrade that will make a noticeable difference . I flirted with a Remedy 29 9.9 that was 25lbs ( How do they do that and still have 140mm travel?) I was hoping to be around 26 or 27 but I don't want to pucker too much in the gnarly stuff and I want my dropper.

6. Handling The RLS wants to be leaned not steered from the bars and while it is taking some getting used to, I do feel it is overall a better handling bike but not by much. I did notice the steering is not as sharp, I do miss that on the TB . The longer wheel base and slacker HTA make tight slow turns a bit tricky . I am having more trouble with tight switchbacks than the TB. At speed the RLS excels but for slower tech moves I would side with the TB. All the hype about shorter chain stays has not made sense to me. The RLS manuals slightly easier than the TB but not a game changer and again the short wheelbase of the TB was great in certain situations .

8. I have pretty short legs ( 29in inseam) and the RLS apparently has a much higher seatpost collar because with the same dropper ( Reverb Stealth 125) I cannot get the seat down far enough to even stand flat footed on it. Of course it goes way higher than I need which would be great for you long legged guys but I am now shopping for a low profile dropper because I just can't get it down completely out of the way like on the TB.

So overall I do feel like I have made a noticeable upgrade and I am enjoying the heck out of the bike. Some of the changes in geometry made compromises that make me miss the TB LT but overall I am very happy with the ride. I think I would also have been happy with the Mach 429 trail but there again if you have the luxury of demo ing a bike then do it!
    Did you consider the OG Ripley?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast