mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Ripley indecision for creaking problems

I want to buy a trailbike and The Ripley is on my top list with intense Spider 29 comp and yeti sb95Carbon.
    The great indecision comes from the creaking issue described in this topic:
    Creaking Ripley

Are all your Ripley affected by the same noisy problem?

I want my new bike to be silent !

Thanx foy your kind advices
    Last edited by tcianca; 10-14-2013 at 11:11 AM.

mtbr member
    If you carefully read that 3 page thread, you'll find only 3 people who potentially had creaking frames, and 2 of them fixed it while the third shipped his Ripley back to Ibis. Most of the other noises were drivetrain and fork noises, which isn't really an Ibis issue.

I'd feel confident buying a Ripley.
    God hates figs. Luke 13:6-9

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by tcianca View Post
    I want my new bike to be silent
    Get the Ripley.

AFAIK, Ibis is selling a good number of them and very few have any issues at all. It's a solid bike.

But I feel you... We all want our expensive new stuff to be perfect, and it should be.

Take heart, Ibis has IMO the best customer service of almost any company I've ever seen, anywhere, in any field. They take care of their riders.

...but keep in mind, you're buying a Mountain Bike. It will creak, eventually. They all do if they're actually being ridden. Just sayin'. Carbon loves to amplify sounds, as do all the many cables we're now running all over bikes. More stuff to rub, creak etc.

Hell, most road bikes will creak if they're getting proper miles put on them, and not always being serviced.

Get that Ripley and ride the crap out of it. Make it creak because you're pushing it to the limits of fun.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    Get the Ripley.

AFAIK, Ibis is selling a good number of them and very few have any issues at all. It's a solid bike.

But I feel you... We all want our expensive new stuff to be perfect, and it should be.

Take heart, Ibis has IMO the best customer service of almost any company I've ever seen, anywhere, in any field. They take care of their riders.

...but keep in mind, you're buying a Mountain Bike. It will creak, eventually. They all do if they're actually being ridden. Just sayin'. Carbon loves to amplify sounds, as do all the many cables we're now running all over bikes. More stuff to rub, creak etc.

Hell, most road bikes will creak if they're getting proper miles put on them, and not always being serviced.

Get that Ripley and ride the crap out of it. Make it creak because you're pushing it to the limits of fun.
    You are very convincing!
    I agree with you about efficient Ibis customer service !

My brother has a spider 29 comp XX1 wich has been used many times and in heavy conditions and it does not make any creak.
    I just want my 7000$ bike to be silent, I hate creaky bikes !

Ciao

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I want to buy a trailbike and The Ripley is on my top list with intense Spider 29 comp and yeti sb95Carbon.
    The great indecision comes from the creaking issue described in this topic:
    Creaking Ripley

Thanx foy your kind advices
    Can happen with any press fit BB.
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Can't stand noisy bikes either....I'm happily thrashing my HD for now. Over hundred km's a week and it's as quiet as the day I bought it 2.5 years ago.

Going to wait a bit before I get a Ripley.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Thanx foy your kind advices[/QUOTE]

Hans from Ibis here -

There is one part (of the frame) that is prone to making noise if it is out of tolerance, the rear shock to clevis fastener. Current stock is good and we will ship a free one to anyone who needs one. Basically, the fasteners sometimes bottom out before clamping on the clevis sufficiently, this allows for some movement which can make a creak.
    Other than that, the frames do not have any more noises than other bikes for all the normal reasons related to all the other parts of a bicycle. We have shipped well over a thousand Ripleys out and have had test bikes in use over a year without the eccentric bearings having any issues or noises. My Ripley is quieter than my road bike which has no moving parts in the frame.

Another thing to think about is that the people who are not having a problem do not generally post so you tend to get a concentration of problem related questions and answers on forums / it's off balance. We do watch the forums and if you don't get a good answer in the first day or so from one of the forum members we'll often contact you either via PM or with a reply to the thread to help. Of course direct emails and calls are pretty much instant service if you want to move things along.

Thanks all,

Hans

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I had a minor creak, and was able to fix it. I don't know where it was coming from, so I took apart the clevis, removed a few other parts off the bike cleaned and put everything back together per Ibis' instructions. Took me about an hour or two. The bike is back to being noise free. I'm not a bike mechanic, and was able to do this maintenance with a set of hex wrenches, and a torque wrench. And I also called Ibis that evening to ask a few questions, and Hans himself picked up the phone.

Here's the thing, even with the creak (before I fixed it) the Ripley is by far the best bike I've ridden. I love it, and look forward to every ride. Its killing me that I live in the midwest and the riding season is almost done for the year. Don't let a minor issue such as "risk of noise" (which is completely fixable) deter you from this bike. And all bikes creak, eventually.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thank you for your kind reply Hans, I have just ordered a ripley frame (I live in Rome, Italy).
    This is a confirmation to what my local shop says: Ripley has one of the best customer service of the bike world.

Ciao!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hi Hans, As my techincal english is poor, can you please send me a picture explaining what part of the rear shock is prone to do crackings ?

I have also read somewhere that there is a protection against wear of the fork head by cables that pass inside the frame.

I would also like to know if it is worth to buy one of this kit :
    Frameskin for Ibis Ripley - Frameskin

Italy trails are very rocky and I don't know if the matte finish of the ripley can be peeled off by rocks.

I wait for your kind reply

Ciao from Rome!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Ripley indecision for creaking problem

Hi Hans, As my techincal english is poor, can you please send me a picture explaining what part of the rear shock is prone to do crackings ?

I have also read somewhere that there is a protection against wear of the fork head by cables that pass inside the frame.

I would also like to know if it is worth to buy one of this kit :
    Frameskin for Ibis Ripley - Frameskin

Italy trails are very rocky and I don't know if the matte finish of the ripley can be peeled off by rocks.

I wait for your kind reply

Ciao from Rome!

The photos show the clevis to shock fastener.

There is a steerer shield that comes with each frame now or also can be gotten at no charge from our web store.

Regarding frame skin, it is high quality and looks nice. Maybe others can comment regarding long term use.

Take care,
    Hans
    Last edited by hanssc; 10-14-2013 at 11:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanx Hans, here it is assembled finally!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Complete thread hijack: I visit Rome a fair bit - is there any decent riding close to the city?

Great looking bike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
    Complete thread hijack: I visit Rome a fair bit - is there any decent riding close to the city?

Great looking bike!
    Thanx for the bike!
    Are you jocking ? there are so many spots around rome for technical MTB!
    Just gimme a line when you are planning to come and I'll guide you !

Ciao

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Hans, looks like my Ripley is showing the same creaking from the clevis. How can I get this new fastener? From my local dealer (Ibikes, in Brazil) or directly from headquarters? How long would it take?

The Ripley is by far the very best trail bike I've ridden, a perfect machine. Too bad this creaking issue is driving me crazy. Impossible to ride this weapon without my ipod loud on. My Ripley has only 4 months.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcelo Aguiar View Post
    Hans, looks like my Ripley is showing the same creaking from the clevis. How can I get this new fastener? From my local dealer (Ibikes, in Brazil) or directly from headquarters? How long would it take?

The Ripley is by far the very best trail bike I've ridden, a perfect machine. Too bad this creaking issue is driving me crazy. Impossible to ride this weapon without my ipod loud on. My Ripley has only 4 months.
    Please send an email to warranty@ibiscycles.com and they will mail you the part and help you achieve quiet riding : )

H

Dropshot Champ!
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to hanssc again."

Answered one of my questions before I could ask it. You're a damn robot, Hans!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I took the clevis fastener away for checking and the problem was not there! Without the shock, the noise got louder and clearer, so I decided to take the rear triangle away for checking the eccentrics. BINGO! The lower piece was over tightened and after loosing it a little the noise disappeared. The lower right bearing was making a little cracking, took it away and realized that it was damaged. The little cracking was being amplified by the carbon hollow frame, just like a guitar's body. Put a brand new bearing and the creaking completely disappeared! Let's hope it's the end of this little but pain-in-the-ass issue.

mtbr member
    Hi,

I'm trying to find the cause of some creeks too, just took the clevis to shock fastener shown in your photos out of my Ripley and notice it's dry as a bone, would you grease the threads and the inside of the angled shoulders where they contact the frame?

mtbr member
    Hi Hans,
    Any easy way to tell if I have an older style shock to clevis fastener? I'm getting creaks that sound like they're coming from the rear if i zig zag along flat road (quickly change direction left right left right as if weaving through cones) and when the rear wheel rolls over angled surfaces / rocks when I'm climbing on trails.
    The bike's really amazing otherwise.
    thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wykes View Post
    Hi Hans,
    Any easy way to tell if I have an older style shock to clevis fastener? I'm getting creaks that sound like they're coming from the rear if i zig zag along flat road (quickly change direction left right left right as if weaving through cones) and when the rear wheel rolls over angled surfaces / rocks when I'm climbing on trails.
    The bike's really amazing otherwise.
    thanks in advance
    I had some creaking as well. If you take off the rear shock and clevis and remove the rear derailleur and brake you can cycle the suspension with the swing arm on to determine if the creaking is coming from the eccentrics or somewhere else. Mine was coming from the upper eccentric. I called Ibis and they gave me a solution. If that is all silent, it is coming from somewhere else like the shock clevis fastener, or rear maxle (seems to be a common area for noise), or rear wheel.

Try that and see if you can at least eliminate the eccentrics as being noisy.

mtbr member
    Update on my situation, I must have an early/old build with the older clevis/shock bolt and no gnar core. I replaced them both with the updated parts, greased the axles etc. have installed the cable dice too, and now the bike really is very very quite and smooth, fantastic! so much more pleasurable to ride. Thanks to ibis for fast and helpful customer support.
    love my bike even more now

mtbr member
    I too have some terrible creaking from rear suspension and headset (damn cane creek garbage) I also have my rear der. cable rubbed all the way through where my LBS routed it according to the original directions over the rear shock. Are the cable dice, rear clevis etc.. free updates for us original ripley owners? really driving me nuts
    Full time rider part time racer...

See my adventures here..

https://www.instagram.com/projectnortheast/

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    I too have some terrible creaking from rear suspension and headset (damn cane creek garbage) I also have my rear der. cable rubbed all the way through where my LBS routed it according to the original directions over the rear shock. Are the cable dice, rear clevis etc.. free updates for us original ripley owners? really driving me nuts
    I have to ask, based on everything that's been posted, why would you waste time in this thread vs. contacting Ibis directly?
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    because I got the information here... my bike shop definitely didn't reach out to me with these "updates" etc.. and I know Hans etc.. checks on here anyway so what's the big deal? Helps other people as well, if my question gets answered on here, then everyone knows the answer and is helped. No one else would be helped by me contacting directly..

See my adventures here..

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc View Post
    Please send an email to warranty@ibiscycles.com and they will mail you the part and help you achieve quiet riding : )

H
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    because I got the information here... my bike shop definitely didn't reach out to me with these "updates" etc.. and I know Hans etc.. checks on here anyway so what's the big deal? Helps other people as well, if my question gets answered on here, then everyone knows the answer and is helped. No one else would be helped by me contacting directly..

My point- your question has been answered in this thread and Hans himself has given the contact info, so how does asking the same answered question help anyone?

It didn't help you, you just asked again, so what makes you think answering you will help the next person that doesn't bother reading?

Hell Hans give the contact info only 6 or so posts up.

Rant off
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    I was asking about more than just the clevis.. my shifter cable that's almost rubbed all the way through was one of my main concerns. That, and any ibis I've ever owned with a cane-creek 40 headset creaks like crazy, and seems to be a common issue according to my LBS, they are switching to chris king. On my intense same headset installed the same way I've never had one peep out of it. Both my Ibis bikes I've had to install and clean half a dozen times and it always comes back. As far as the cable dice and the intermittent creaking from the rear, don't worry, Todd from Ibis has already contacted me and are working on a solution to my multiple legitimate gripes.. cuz that's what stand up companies do! I will post back what we find to help others...

See my adventures here..

meh
    have cane creek 110s on my mojo and hakka, no issues with creaking

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    My CC 40 started creaking. I removed the bearings, packed them with grease and light grease on the outside. No creaking now. Rear suspension creaked a lot, then it just went away when the trails dried out.

mtbr member
    My CC headset on my Sultan creaked like crazy and I could never quite it down. It got to the point where I hated riding the bike. I just ordered a Ripley and spec'd it with a King this time. Never again!!!
    "The Jeep is America's only real sports car"
    Enzo Ferrari

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Ugh, this is killing me. I've been back and forth on what bike to buy - I have a 2014 Bronson that I've decided is too much bike for my tastes and am looking to sell it and get into a nimble 29er that eats up the climbs as well as enjoys a rowdy downhill. I demoed a Ripley and loved the ride but it creaked like CRAZY - loudest bike I've ever ridden by a longshot - and that kind of killed it for me. After demoing a Tallboy (great bike but would want just a bit more plush travel for the downhills) and Tallboy LTc (fun on wide-open descents but a bit of a tank) and doing a lot of research on some other bikes, I started coming back around to the Ripley. But after reading through these forums, it sounds like you have to be willing to regularly disassemble this bike to keep it from being noisy and I'm just not that much of a tech - I get that all bikes have creaks occasionally, but my previous bikes (Giant Trance and SC Bronson) have been relatively quiet and only occasionally required a bearing service or similar, which I'm happy to have the shop do during a yearly tune. If I'm going to have to keep pulling apart the linkages, headset, bottom bracket, rear cassette, etc. (all of which are discussed in this forum) to keep it reasonably quiet, then I guess it's not going to work. Dang.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Hey Jkon,
    I was able to ride the Ripley at DirtFest in PA this May, and the bike I demo'ed was completely silent, even though the trails were a sloppy mess. I currently ride a Mojo, and I was shocked by how much the Ripley felt like cheating; I am guessing it's the 29er effect, as my Mojo is no slouch.
    I haven't been able to demo the Tallboy LTc on trails, so I am interested if you can elaborate at all on the "bit of a tank" comment about it. Is it just heavier than the Ripley, did it not seem to accelerate like the Ripley? Any info is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkon View Post
    Ugh, this is killing me. I've been back and forth on what bike to buy - I have a 2014 Bronson that I've decided is too much bike for my tastes and am looking to sell it and get into a nimble 29er that eats up the climbs as well as enjoys a rowdy downhill. I demoed a Ripley and loved the ride but it creaked like CRAZY - loudest bike I've ever ridden by a longshot - and that kind of killed it for me. After demoing a Tallboy (great bike but would want just a bit more plush travel for the downhills) and Tallboy LTc (fun on wide-open descents but a bit of a tank) and doing a lot of research on some other bikes, I started coming back around to the Ripley. But after reading through these forums, it sounds like you have to be willing to regularly disassemble this bike to keep it from being noisy and I'm just not that much of a tech - I get that all bikes have creaks occasionally, but my previous bikes (Giant Trance and SC Bronson) have been relatively quiet and only occasionally required a bearing service or similar, which I'm happy to have the shop do during a yearly tune. If I'm going to have to keep pulling apart the linkages, headset, bottom bracket, rear cassette, etc. (all of which are discussed in this forum) to keep it reasonably quiet, then I guess it's not going to work. Dang.
    I don't get where you're coming from? This thread has been about fixing a noise. You replace an old part with a new part and it's fixed. Nothing about constantly taking it apart.

Maybe the bike you rode had the old parts.
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wrc2006 View Post
    Hey Jkon,
    I was able to ride the Ripley at DirtFest in PA this May, and the bike I demo'ed was completely silent, even though the trails were a sloppy mess. I currently ride a Mojo, and I was shocked by how much the Ripley felt like cheating; I am guessing it's the 29er effect, as my Mojo is no slouch.
    I haven't been able to demo the Tallboy LTc on trails, so I am interested if you can elaborate at all on the "bit of a tank" comment about it. Is it just heavier than the Ripley, did it not seem to accelerate like the Ripley? Any info is appreciated.
    My LTc demo wasn't perfect because it was an X01 setup with a 34T ring, and that was just not low enough gearing for me on that ride (long climbing involved, I was whooped by the second half of the ride - I usually ride X01 with a 30T ring, much easier). But in general, while the Ripley and Tallboy felt fast and nimble both uphill and downhill, the LTc felt heavier/slower on the uphills (not terrible, but compared to the other two it was slower and took more energy to climb). On the downhills, the LTc was FAST and absorbed bumps/drops great but felt like it really wanted to go straight - I couldn't just whip around corners, I had to carefully shift my weight and slow down in anticipation of turns. I'm sure i'd get used to this different riding technique if I had one, but in general the Ripley and Tallboy just felt lighter, quicker, and more fun to me.

The problem was that the Tallboy didn't have enough suspension for the rockier descents (it almost felt like a hardtail, super rattly and I didn't feel confident that it wasn't going to send me over the bars if I pushed it). The Ripley was pretty much perfect, except that it was so noisy that everyone I passed commented on it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I don't get where you're coming from? This thread has been about fixing a noise. You replace an old part with a new part and it's fixed. Nothing about constantly taking it apart.

Maybe the bike you rode had the old parts.
    I'm not just talking about this thread - there are a couple of others addressing various noises, and a ton of comments in them to the extent of "part X was making noises, but after I removed, cleaned and greased it it was quiet again for a while" (with part x being the linkages, the cassette, the headset, etc. depending on the comment). One comment said they'd been told that the Ripley is like a Porsche, and that it held true both in the sense that it was amazingly fun, and also that it was finicky and required a high level of maintenance to keep it working correctly. For me, if true, that's a dealkiller.

Not sure what the deal with the demo I rode was - it was a paid demo from a local shop, I assume they maintain it well but when I mentioned the noise upon returning it the guy just nodded and said that they'd heard that before. (I should've followed up but was in a hurry.) Great shop generally, so I'm not sure what to make of this.

mtbr member
    I have one of the "creaking" Ripleys. All of the areas on the frame that were generating creaks have been replaced by updated running fixes The gnar core, shock bolt, clevis and cable dice. Since these parts have been installed the bike is silent (about two months 3-4 rides per week 10-20 miles on average anything from xc to lift assisted park riding Las Vegas, Sedona, So Cal, So Utah, Park City, etc.) These parts are standard on the Ripley now. If you like the way the Ripley handles you shouldn't worry about the creaking issues. The updated parts have addressed the early issues. Carbon frames do transmit noise very well so drivetrain noise can be more apparent but this is not a Ripley specific issue. You also cannot beat the customer service you get with Ibis

mtbr member
    I heard about the noisy Ripley issues too before buying one. I made sure to demo a bike that was checked out almost everyday. This way I was sure to be riding something that was well worn. Needless to say, it was quite and tight so my concerns about noise were put to rest.

The one flaw I will point out with my test ride concerns the Fox 32 that was on the bike. I had been riding with a Pike on my Sultan and I could really feel the flex in the fork. I outfitted my Ripley with the Pike and it's a great combo!

I also test rode the Santa Cruz bikes as well. Your assessment is spot on to what I noticed when I rode them. The Tallboy LTc was similar to my Sultan in that it's like a monster truck on descents. It's not much fun climbing tight switchbacks and takes a concerted effort to get through them. Also, for some reason I get a weird sensation when riding VPP bikes. It's almost like there's a "catch or hesitation" in the shock stroke. I've also caught the lower linkage on rocks when riding techy stuff in Sedona.
    Enzo Ferrari

mtbr member
    I'm not just talking about this thread - there are a couple of others addressing various noises, and a ton of comments in them to the extent of "part X was making noises, but after I removed, cleaned and greased it it was quiet again for a while" (with part x being the linkages, the cassette, the headset, etc. depending on the comment). One comment said they'd been told that the Ripley is like a Porsche, and that it held true both in the sense that it was amazingly fun, and also that it was finicky and required a high level of maintenance to keep it working correctly. For me, if true, that's a dealkiller.

Not sure what the deal with the demo I rode was - it was a paid demo from a local shop, I assume they maintain it well but when I mentioned the noise upon returning it the guy just nodded and said that they'd heard that before. (I should've followed up but was in a hurry.) Great shop generally, so I'm not sure what to make of this.
    I've had issues with creaking on my Ripley, but I believe they are now fixed. I got one of the first ones produced, and have been in touch with Ibis about finding a long-term solution. From this correspondence, I know that since initial release, there have been running changes to both eccentric cores, as well as the shock-clevis bolt and of course the Cable Dice. They have also changed their assembly procedure somewhat, to ensure bearings are installed in such a way that they'll stay quite. I think this has produced a long-term fix to most of the creaking issues.

My take, having disassembled my Rip on multiple occasions, is that the design is quite durable and trouble free, but does require more care during initial assembly. Torque specs and LocTite application need to be done right. It's not as idiot-proof as something like a Santa Cruz (I've disassembled a Bronson too), but once put together right it works well and has long service intervals.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wrc2006 View Post
    Hey Jkon,
    The Tallboy LTc feels like old school 29er's. You feel the big wheels when pedaling and when trying to aggressively corner and climb the bike. It's a perfect representation of all of the knocks against 29er trailbikes.

I'm also coming off a Sultan and the Ripley just makes that bike feel antiquated! It's light, nimble, and very quick through flowy singletrack. I let one of my riding partners ride it the other night and now she's buying one as well. She normally rides a Mojo and the main thing she kept saying (and saying!) was that it didn't feel like a 29er. It didn't feel long, tall, or heavy to her at all.
    Enzo Ferrari

mtbr member
    Seriously go for the ripley it is SUCH a great bike! I had creaking initially I think because my ripley is one from an early batch with the old eccentric and clevis pin, i just swapped in the updated components and the cable dice from Ibis, and the bike is really really smooth and quiet. I also put a 120mm Pike on it and that is a fantastic improvement..feels so confident downhill but still turns and climbs fantastically.

aka dan51
    In my experience demo bikes are always a poor example of what the bike can actually be. Often they are abused and ridden far more than if owned by a single person. Maintenance on them often seems neglected. Noise, poor shifting, and brakes not working are things I always encounter with demo bikes.

I've had my Ripley since April with no noise until recently. It occasionally makes a squeak here and there, but nothing continual. Some rides it's quiet the whole time. The noise started after I began testing the limits of bigger drops and jumps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks all, this helps a lot. It sounds like the creaking issues have largely been addressed by Ibis and the demo I rode was perhaps an earlier version that hadn't been fixed yet. I'm happy to hear this because in terms of ride feel, it was tops among the bikes I tested. Will be putting the Bronson up for sale shortly and hopefully shopping for a Ripley with Pike.

Those of you who've gone to the Pike, are you running 140 or have you shimmed it down to 130 or 120?

mtbr member
    Thanks all, this helps a lot. It sounds like the creaking issues have largely been addressed by Ibis and the demo I rode was perhaps an earlier version that hadn't been fixed yet. I'm happy to hear this because in terms of ride feel, it was tops among the bikes I tested. Will be putting the Bronson up for sale shortly and hopefully shopping for a Ripley with Pike.

Those of you who've gone to the Pike, are you running 140 or have you shimmed it down to 130 or 120?
    My original plan was to go to 130 on my Pike but I think I'm going to leave it at 140 for awhile. I slammed my stem before last nights ride and that alone made a huge improvement in the front end feel while climbing. It never felt light or flighty on the steep stuff and the additional travel came in handy when going back down.

We had almost 1500 feet of gain in the first 4.5 miles last night with lots of loose punchy climbs. Out of 11 riders in the group there were only 2 of us that cleaned them all and didn't dab. Much of my success can be attributed to the incredible rear wheel traction this bike has. But it sure was nice to have a front end I didn't have to worry about when the climbing got tricky.

One side note. I said in an earlier post that I thought I could go to a 32 in the front with my XX1 setup. Well, maybe for just general riding and most of our local areas. But for any trail with lots of climbing I think I'll stick with the 30. I'm still going to get a 32 and throw it on for a few rides though.
    Enzo Ferrari

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks. My current setup is the Bronson with X01 and 30T front ring, same thinking as you. But I shredded my 42T cog after only three months during an imperfect shift under load, and although SRAM replaced it under warranty I'm now wary of it (the big one is aluminum and not as durable as the others). I think I'll probably go back to 2x10 for the Ripley - never had an XT cog explode under a bad shift before.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks. My current setup is the Bronson with X01 and 30T front ring, same thinking as you. But I shredded my 42T cog after only three months during an imperfect shift under load, and although SRAM replaced it under warranty I'm now wary of it (the big one is aluminum and not as durable as the others). I think I'll probably go back to 2x10 for the Ripley - never had an XT cog explode under a bad shift before.
    I do take extra caution when shifting into/out of 42T cog as it is aluminum alloy, so I don't expect it to be as strong as the other steel cogs. I only use 42T for really steep climb or when I don't feel as fit near end of ride. On my Ripley with 30T front, using 42T feels much less efficient than 36T, as long as I can maintain momentum 30/36 works really well for all climbs I can handle.

For Pike, I have the Dual Position Air model with 150/120. I set sag to 25-30% and it works well too for me.