Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Ripley indecision for creaking problems

I want to buy a trailbike and The Ripley is on my top list with intense Spider 29 comp and yeti sb95Carbon.
    The great indecision comes from the creaking issue described in this topic:
    Creaking Ripley

Are all your Ripley affected by the same noisy problem?

I want my new bike to be silent !

Thanx foy your kind advices
    Last edited by tcianca; 10-14-2013 at 12:11 PM.

mtbr member
    If you carefully read that 3 page thread, you'll find only 3 people who potentially had creaking frames, and 2 of them fixed it while the third shipped his Ripley back to Ibis. Most of the other noises were drivetrain and fork noises, which isn't really an Ibis issue.

I'd feel confident buying a Ripley.
    www.seanhannity.com <=not what you think it is.

Homeopathy is the Air Guitar of Medicine.

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by tcianca View Post
    I want my new bike to be silent
    Get the Ripley.

AFAIK, Ibis is selling a good number of them and very few have any issues at all. It's a solid bike.

But I feel you... We all want our expensive new stuff to be perfect, and it should be.

Take heart, Ibis has IMO the best customer service of almost any company I've ever seen, anywhere, in any field. They take care of their riders.

...but keep in mind, you're buying a Mountain Bike. It will creak, eventually. They all do if they're actually being ridden. Just sayin'. Carbon loves to amplify sounds, as do all the many cables we're now running all over bikes. More stuff to rub, creak etc.

Hell, most road bikes will creak if they're getting proper miles put on them, and not always being serviced.

Get that Ripley and ride the crap out of it. Make it creak because you're pushing it to the limits of fun.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    Get the Ripley.

AFAIK, Ibis is selling a good number of them and very few have any issues at all. It's a solid bike.

But I feel you... We all want our expensive new stuff to be perfect, and it should be.

Take heart, Ibis has IMO the best customer service of almost any company I've ever seen, anywhere, in any field. They take care of their riders.

...but keep in mind, you're buying a Mountain Bike. It will creak, eventually. They all do if they're actually being ridden. Just sayin'. Carbon loves to amplify sounds, as do all the many cables we're now running all over bikes. More stuff to rub, creak etc.

Hell, most road bikes will creak if they're getting proper miles put on them, and not always being serviced.

Get that Ripley and ride the crap out of it. Make it creak because you're pushing it to the limits of fun.
    You are very convincing!
    I agree with you about efficient Ibis customer service !

My brother has a spider 29 comp XX1 wich has been used many times and in heavy conditions and it does not make any creak.
    I just want my 7000$ bike to be silent, I hate creaky bikes !

Ciao

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I want to buy a trailbike and The Ripley is on my top list with intense Spider 29 comp and yeti sb95Carbon.
    The great indecision comes from the creaking issue described in this topic:
    Creaking Ripley

Thanx foy your kind advices
    Can happen with any press fit BB.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Can't stand noisy bikes either....I'm happily thrashing my HD for now. Over hundred km's a week and it's as quiet as the day I bought it 2.5 years ago.

Going to wait a bit before I get a Ripley.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Thanx foy your kind advices[/QUOTE]

Hans from Ibis here -

There is one part (of the frame) that is prone to making noise if it is out of tolerance, the rear shock to clevis fastener. Current stock is good and we will ship a free one to anyone who needs one. Basically, the fasteners sometimes bottom out before clamping on the clevis sufficiently, this allows for some movement which can make a creak.
    Other than that, the frames do not have any more noises than other bikes for all the normal reasons related to all the other parts of a bicycle. We have shipped well over a thousand Ripleys out and have had test bikes in use over a year without the eccentric bearings having any issues or noises. My Ripley is quieter than my road bike which has no moving parts in the frame.

Another thing to think about is that the people who are not having a problem do not generally post so you tend to get a concentration of problem related questions and answers on forums / it's off balance. We do watch the forums and if you don't get a good answer in the first day or so from one of the forum members we'll often contact you either via PM or with a reply to the thread to help. Of course direct emails and calls are pretty much instant service if you want to move things along.

Thanks all,

Hans

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I had a minor creak, and was able to fix it. I don't know where it was coming from, so I took apart the clevis, removed a few other parts off the bike cleaned and put everything back together per Ibis' instructions. Took me about an hour or two. The bike is back to being noise free. I'm not a bike mechanic, and was able to do this maintenance with a set of hex wrenches, and a torque wrench. And I also called Ibis that evening to ask a few questions, and Hans himself picked up the phone.

Here's the thing, even with the creak (before I fixed it) the Ripley is by far the best bike I've ridden. I love it, and look forward to every ride. Its killing me that I live in the midwest and the riding season is almost done for the year. Don't let a minor issue such as "risk of noise" (which is completely fixable) deter you from this bike. And all bikes creak, eventually.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thank you for your kind reply Hans, I have just ordered a ripley frame (I live in Rome, Italy).
    This is a confirmation to what my local shop says: Ripley has one of the best customer service of the bike world.

Ciao!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hi Hans, As my techincal english is poor, can you please send me a picture explaining what part of the rear shock is prone to do crackings ?

I have also read somewhere that there is a protection against wear of the fork head by cables that pass inside the frame.

I would also like to know if it is worth to buy one of this kit :
    Frameskin for Ibis Ripley - Frameskin

Italy trails are very rocky and I don't know if the matte finish of the ripley can be peeled off by rocks.

I wait for your kind reply

Ciao from Rome!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Ripley indecision for creaking problem

Hi Hans, As my techincal english is poor, can you please send me a picture explaining what part of the rear shock is prone to do crackings ?

I have also read somewhere that there is a protection against wear of the fork head by cables that pass inside the frame.

I would also like to know if it is worth to buy one of this kit :
    Frameskin for Ibis Ripley - Frameskin

Italy trails are very rocky and I don't know if the matte finish of the ripley can be peeled off by rocks.

I wait for your kind reply

Ciao from Rome!

The photos show the clevis to shock fastener.

There is a steerer shield that comes with each frame now or also can be gotten at no charge from our web store.

Regarding frame skin, it is high quality and looks nice. Maybe others can comment regarding long term use.

Take care,
    Hans
    Last edited by hanssc; 10-15-2013 at 12:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanx Hans, here it is assembled finally!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Complete thread hijack: I visit Rome a fair bit - is there any decent riding close to the city?

Great looking bike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
    Complete thread hijack: I visit Rome a fair bit - is there any decent riding close to the city?

Great looking bike!
    Thanx for the bike!
    Are you jocking ? there are so many spots around rome for technical MTB!
    Just gimme a line when you are planning to come and I'll guide you !

Ciao

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Hans, looks like my Ripley is showing the same creaking from the clevis. How can I get this new fastener? From my local dealer (Ibikes, in Brazil) or directly from headquarters? How long would it take?

The Ripley is by far the very best trail bike I've ridden, a perfect machine. Too bad this creaking issue is driving me crazy. Impossible to ride this weapon without my ipod loud on. My Ripley has only 4 months.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcelo Aguiar View Post
    Hans, looks like my Ripley is showing the same creaking from the clevis. How can I get this new fastener? From my local dealer (Ibikes, in Brazil) or directly from headquarters? How long would it take?

The Ripley is by far the very best trail bike I've ridden, a perfect machine. Too bad this creaking issue is driving me crazy. Impossible to ride this weapon without my ipod loud on. My Ripley has only 4 months.
    Please send an email to warranty@ibiscycles.com and they will mail you the part and help you achieve quiet riding : )

H

Dropshot Champ!
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to hanssc again."

Answered one of my questions before I could ask it. You're a damn robot, Hans!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I took the clevis fastener away for checking and the problem was not there! Without the shock, the noise got louder and clearer, so I decided to take the rear triangle away for checking the eccentrics. BINGO! The lower piece was over tightened and after loosing it a little the noise disappeared. The lower right bearing was making a little cracking, took it away and realized that it was damaged. The little cracking was being amplified by the carbon hollow frame, just like a guitar's body. Put a brand new bearing and the creaking completely disappeared! Let's hope it's the end of this little but pain-in-the-ass issue.

mtbr member
    Hi,

I'm trying to find the cause of some creeks too, just took the clevis to shock fastener shown in your photos out of my Ripley and notice it's dry as a bone, would you grease the threads and the inside of the angled shoulders where they contact the frame?

mtbr member
    Hi Hans,
    Any easy way to tell if I have an older style shock to clevis fastener? I'm getting creaks that sound like they're coming from the rear if i zig zag along flat road (quickly change direction left right left right as if weaving through cones) and when the rear wheel rolls over angled surfaces / rocks when I'm climbing on trails.
    The bike's really amazing otherwise.
    thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wykes View Post
    Hi Hans,
    Any easy way to tell if I have an older style shock to clevis fastener? I'm getting creaks that sound like they're coming from the rear if i zig zag along flat road (quickly change direction left right left right as if weaving through cones) and when the rear wheel rolls over angled surfaces / rocks when I'm climbing on trails.
    The bike's really amazing otherwise.
    thanks in advance
    I had some creaking as well. If you take off the rear shock and clevis and remove the rear derailleur and brake you can cycle the suspension with the swing arm on to determine if the creaking is coming from the eccentrics or somewhere else. Mine was coming from the upper eccentric. I called Ibis and they gave me a solution. If that is all silent, it is coming from somewhere else like the shock clevis fastener, or rear maxle (seems to be a common area for noise), or rear wheel.

Try that and see if you can at least eliminate the eccentrics as being noisy.

mtbr member
    Update on my situation, I must have an early/old build with the older clevis/shock bolt and no gnar core. I replaced them both with the updated parts, greased the axles etc. have installed the cable dice too, and now the bike really is very very quite and smooth, fantastic! so much more pleasurable to ride. Thanks to ibis for fast and helpful customer support.
    love my bike even more now

mtbr member
    I too have some terrible creaking from rear suspension and headset (damn cane creek garbage) I also have my rear der. cable rubbed all the way through where my LBS routed it according to the original directions over the rear shock. Are the cable dice, rear clevis etc.. free updates for us original ripley owners? really driving me nuts
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    I too have some terrible creaking from rear suspension and headset (damn cane creek garbage) I also have my rear der. cable rubbed all the way through where my LBS routed it according to the original directions over the rear shock. Are the cable dice, rear clevis etc.. free updates for us original ripley owners? really driving me nuts
    I have to ask, based on everything that's been posted, why would you waste time in this thread vs. contacting Ibis directly?
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    because I got the information here... my bike shop definitely didn't reach out to me with these "updates" etc.. and I know Hans etc.. checks on here anyway so what's the big deal? Helps other people as well, if my question gets answered on here, then everyone knows the answer and is helped. No one else would be helped by me contacting directly..
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast