mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Ripley indecision for creaking problems

I want to buy a trailbike and The Ripley is on my top list with intense Spider 29 comp and yeti sb95Carbon.
    The great indecision comes from the creaking issue described in this topic:
    Creaking Ripley

Are all your Ripley affected by the same noisy problem?

I want my new bike to be silent !

Thanx foy your kind advices
    Last edited by tcianca; 10-14-2013 at 11:11 AM.

mtbr member
    If you carefully read that 3 page thread, you'll find only 3 people who potentially had creaking frames, and 2 of them fixed it while the third shipped his Ripley back to Ibis. Most of the other noises were drivetrain and fork noises, which isn't really an Ibis issue.

I'd feel confident buying a Ripley.
    www.seanhannity.com <=not what you think it is.

Homeopathy is the Air Guitar of Medicine.

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by tcianca View Post
    I want my new bike to be silent
    Get the Ripley.

AFAIK, Ibis is selling a good number of them and very few have any issues at all. It's a solid bike.

But I feel you... We all want our expensive new stuff to be perfect, and it should be.

Take heart, Ibis has IMO the best customer service of almost any company I've ever seen, anywhere, in any field. They take care of their riders.

...but keep in mind, you're buying a Mountain Bike. It will creak, eventually. They all do if they're actually being ridden. Just sayin'. Carbon loves to amplify sounds, as do all the many cables we're now running all over bikes. More stuff to rub, creak etc.

Hell, most road bikes will creak if they're getting proper miles put on them, and not always being serviced.

Get that Ripley and ride the crap out of it. Make it creak because you're pushing it to the limits of fun.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    Get the Ripley.

AFAIK, Ibis is selling a good number of them and very few have any issues at all. It's a solid bike.

But I feel you... We all want our expensive new stuff to be perfect, and it should be.

Take heart, Ibis has IMO the best customer service of almost any company I've ever seen, anywhere, in any field. They take care of their riders.

...but keep in mind, you're buying a Mountain Bike. It will creak, eventually. They all do if they're actually being ridden. Just sayin'. Carbon loves to amplify sounds, as do all the many cables we're now running all over bikes. More stuff to rub, creak etc.

Hell, most road bikes will creak if they're getting proper miles put on them, and not always being serviced.

Get that Ripley and ride the crap out of it. Make it creak because you're pushing it to the limits of fun.
    You are very convincing!
    I agree with you about efficient Ibis customer service !

My brother has a spider 29 comp XX1 wich has been used many times and in heavy conditions and it does not make any creak.
    I just want my 7000$ bike to be silent, I hate creaky bikes !

Ciao

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I want to buy a trailbike and The Ripley is on my top list with intense Spider 29 comp and yeti sb95Carbon.
    The great indecision comes from the creaking issue described in this topic:
    Creaking Ripley

Thanx foy your kind advices
    Can happen with any press fit BB.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Can't stand noisy bikes either....I'm happily thrashing my HD for now. Over hundred km's a week and it's as quiet as the day I bought it 2.5 years ago.

Going to wait a bit before I get a Ripley.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Thanx foy your kind advices[/QUOTE]

Hans from Ibis here -

There is one part (of the frame) that is prone to making noise if it is out of tolerance, the rear shock to clevis fastener. Current stock is good and we will ship a free one to anyone who needs one. Basically, the fasteners sometimes bottom out before clamping on the clevis sufficiently, this allows for some movement which can make a creak.
    Other than that, the frames do not have any more noises than other bikes for all the normal reasons related to all the other parts of a bicycle. We have shipped well over a thousand Ripleys out and have had test bikes in use over a year without the eccentric bearings having any issues or noises. My Ripley is quieter than my road bike which has no moving parts in the frame.

Another thing to think about is that the people who are not having a problem do not generally post so you tend to get a concentration of problem related questions and answers on forums / it's off balance. We do watch the forums and if you don't get a good answer in the first day or so from one of the forum members we'll often contact you either via PM or with a reply to the thread to help. Of course direct emails and calls are pretty much instant service if you want to move things along.

Thanks all,

Hans
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I had a minor creak, and was able to fix it. I don't know where it was coming from, so I took apart the clevis, removed a few other parts off the bike cleaned and put everything back together per Ibis' instructions. Took me about an hour or two. The bike is back to being noise free. I'm not a bike mechanic, and was able to do this maintenance with a set of hex wrenches, and a torque wrench. And I also called Ibis that evening to ask a few questions, and Hans himself picked up the phone.

Here's the thing, even with the creak (before I fixed it) the Ripley is by far the best bike I've ridden. I love it, and look forward to every ride. Its killing me that I live in the midwest and the riding season is almost done for the year. Don't let a minor issue such as "risk of noise" (which is completely fixable) deter you from this bike. And all bikes creak, eventually.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thank you for your kind reply Hans, I have just ordered a ripley frame (I live in Rome, Italy).
    This is a confirmation to what my local shop says: Ripley has one of the best customer service of the bike world.

Ciao!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hi Hans, As my techincal english is poor, can you please send me a picture explaining what part of the rear shock is prone to do crackings ?

I have also read somewhere that there is a protection against wear of the fork head by cables that pass inside the frame.

I would also like to know if it is worth to buy one of this kit :
    Frameskin for Ibis Ripley - Frameskin

Italy trails are very rocky and I don't know if the matte finish of the ripley can be peeled off by rocks.

I wait for your kind reply

Ciao from Rome!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Ripley indecision for creaking problem

Hi Hans, As my techincal english is poor, can you please send me a picture explaining what part of the rear shock is prone to do crackings ?

I have also read somewhere that there is a protection against wear of the fork head by cables that pass inside the frame.

I would also like to know if it is worth to buy one of this kit :
    Frameskin for Ibis Ripley - Frameskin

Italy trails are very rocky and I don't know if the matte finish of the ripley can be peeled off by rocks.

I wait for your kind reply

Ciao from Rome!

The photos show the clevis to shock fastener.

There is a steerer shield that comes with each frame now or also can be gotten at no charge from our web store.

Regarding frame skin, it is high quality and looks nice. Maybe others can comment regarding long term use.

Take care,
    Hans
    Last edited by hanssc; 10-14-2013 at 11:58 PM.
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanx Hans, here it is assembled finally!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Complete thread hijack: I visit Rome a fair bit - is there any decent riding close to the city?

Great looking bike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
    Complete thread hijack: I visit Rome a fair bit - is there any decent riding close to the city?

Great looking bike!
    Thanx for the bike!
    Are you jocking ? there are so many spots around rome for technical MTB!
    Just gimme a line when you are planning to come and I'll guide you !

Ciao