mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Ripley Front Derailleur Problems

My new Ripley frame arrived last week, and I'm having trouble with the front shifting. I originally installed a Truvativ X0 22-36 crankset, an X9 direct mount FD, and X0 2x10 shifters. I had some difficulty getting the front derailleur dialed in, but it shifted acceptably. I decided the 36t ring was bigger than I wanted for our local trails, so I ordered a Truvativ X0 33t ring and installed it in place of the 36t outer ring.

I got it shifting fine in the stand, but when I'm on the bike with the suspension sagged, it will not shift down from the outer ring to the inner ring unless its on the innermost rear cog. If I have it even one cog down on the cassette, it will not drop to the small ring. I can get it to shift down if I lean way forward and take all the sag out of the suspension. No amount of limit screw adjustments and cable tension adjustments makes it work.

i feel like I'm missing something obvious. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Don't direct mount FD have size ranges? Could you possible have the FD designed for the larger range and it happened to work ok, but the new ring is outside that range now.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure I'm right because I remember wanting to change the rings on my SJ that had direct mount and I would have had to change the FD to change the rings.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    That's a good lead, and I'll check it out. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Ripley Front Derailleur Problems

Is the 36-22 a 3x10 spaced spider or a 2x10 (thought it was the same as the 22/33/44)? Reason I ask is when I bought my HD I had a 22/33/bash setup but 2x10 shifters (LBS mistake). After a long conversation with SRAM I ended up ordering the 3x10 internals. Turns out the pull ratios are different between a XO 2x10 setup and a 3x10 which I believe your 36/22 technically is. Similar symptoms to what I saw 4 yrs ago.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I assumed that since it's a SRAM 2x10 crankset, that it should require 2x10 shifters, but now that you mention it, I seem to recall reading somewhere that the 22/36 is not the same as their other 2x10 cranksets but now I can't recall whether it was the ring spacing or the BCD pattern. I'll research it tonight, or better yet, maybe throw a 3x10 front shifter on and try it. So now maybe I have the wrong derailleur and possibly the wrong shifter! Thanks for your thoughts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by seleniak View Post
    Is the 36-22 a 3x10 spaced spider or a 2x10 (thought it was the same as the 22/33/44)? Reason I ask is when I bought my HD I had a 22/33/bash setup but 2x10 shifters (LBS mistake). After a long conversation with SRAM I ended up ordering the 3x10 internals. Turns out the pull ratios are different between a XO 2x10 setup and a 3x10 which I believe your 36/22 technically is. Similar symptoms to what I saw 4 yrs ago.
    You're Right seleniak,

teelow's cranks are built on a 3x10 spider.

Quote Originally Posted by teelow View Post
    I assumed that since it's a SRAM 2x10 crankset, that it should require 2x10 shifters, but now that you mention it, I seem to recall reading somewhere that the 22/36 is not the same as their other 2x10 cranksets but now I can't recall whether it was the ring spacing or the BCD pattern. I'll research it tonight, or better yet, maybe throw a 3x10 front shifter on and try it. So now maybe I have the wrong derailleur and possibly the wrong shifter! Thanks for your thoughts.
    Hey teelow,

Looks like you figured it out. You need a 3X10 front derailleur and shifter to get your setup working properly.

Best, Todd

Todd@ibiscycles.com or Toddibis@gmail.com
    Last edited by toddibis; 07-11-2013 at 05:32 PM.