mtbr member

Ripley frame sizing help/opinion L or XL

I'm currently riding a Yelli Screamy L w/ 50mm stem and 700cm bars and I love the set up. I *think* the Ripley is my next bike and while I'll make the final decision after I get to ride one (yay for working at a demo center) I'm really torn about sizing. Obviously throwing a leg over one will be the be all to end all but I'm interested in hearing some other opinions beyond Ibis' since they seem to favor a longer stem, shorter TT than I'm used to.

I've been riding and quite used to a 24.5" (ish) ETT for some time, this is the current bike and bikes of the past. I'm 5'10" and the knee jerk reaction you'll have is to put me on the L I'm sure, but the XL favors my current cockpit, yet I cringe at the wheel base # of the XL. Still I can't imagine running a 50mm stem on a 23.8" ETT.

Run a 70mm stem and get over it? I really fell in love w/ my 50mm stem, I'm already running a 51mm offset fork so apparently I like quick handling of all of this. I welcome any input. This would be my only MTB in the quiver as the parts of the Yelli will need to go on this build so I'm looking for the best do every thing f/s 29er. Thanks, sorry I'm quite sure similar things have been discussed, a search just had me over whelmed.
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm just under 6' and I am riding a Large with a 90mm stem. Stem length seems long looking at current trends but it seems to handle really well on the Ripley. FWIW the WTB silverado saddle I have is just over 3/4 back on the rails. I've only had it a couple of months but I've been riding a lot.... The large feels great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm a hair over 6' and have a large with a 110 stem and straight post with saddle in the middle of the rails (this is my XC and Marathon race rig FYI). Don't make the knee jerk reaction to sizing based on your numbers game as I think at your height you would likely do MUCH better on a L. I agree with the longer stem sentiment as the front end wandered on me with the shorter stem I had on it originally, but once I got some more weight over the front wheel the bike really came to life. Its nimble and handles like a 26" wheel bike compared to my previous 29er.

You'll never really know until you throw leg over it and take it on the dirt, but I would be really surprised if you needed an XL.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    "Run a 70mm stem and get over it"

yep
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

mtbr member

Ripley frame sizing help/opinion L or XL

I am 6' 1 1/2" and have an XL with a 100mm stem. Initially I thought the long stem would ruin the handling, but it definately has not. A 70mm stem is still short for this bike with regards to weighing the front and the fore-aft balance. It is a new bike with a different geo, so let go of your love with the number 50 ;-)
    Last edited by simenf; 01-21-2014 at 10:18 AM.

mtbr member
    I agree, I'm 6'2" on an XL with a 100mm stem. I'd put you on a L with a 70-80mm stem. I love the handling with the slightly longer stem, the steering geo of this bike is a bit different so don't get hung up on stem length.

mtbr member
    My mind is opening, thanks for the feedback. I'll test a L in about a month... winter winter winter...
    My one says BRAP!

Kaj
    mtbr member
    go with 740mm+ bars and it will be even better
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I am 6' 175+ and went with the XL and the 80mm stem on the Ibis 740 bar -- I have since bumped the stem to a 90.

Sponge Brain
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbkerr View Post
    I am 6' 175+ and went with the XL and the 80mm stem on the Ibis 740 bar -- I have since bumped the stem to a 90.
    What length inseam do you have?

mdc
    mtbr member
    I'm 6 ft, 175lbs. With a 32 inch inseam. I bought a L Ripley with an 80mm stem which feels pretty good. I did notice it was a bit tough keeping weight on the front wheel when cornering so I swapped the stem to a 100 I had kicking around. Felt better cornering and climbing, although I only got one ride- then the snow came. For me an XL would be huge.

Also FWIW- I have a Banshee Paradox with a 60mm stem, and might put a longer stem on it since the Ripley feels so good with a longer vs. shorter stem.....

mtbr member
    May 2008
    32-33" inseam...perhaps my torso/arms are longer or i prefer my hip angle to be at optimum efficient angle, but my knees were too close to elbows on the large. I'm not trying to be stretched out, but want to breath and support back for long climbs and hours of singletrack. The XL is great for me so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnzj View Post
    What length inseam do you have?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Prior to the Ripley all my bikes of note had been XC hardtails with a 24.5 ETT, so I went for the XL Ripley. It was fine for XC type work but didn't have the agility and fun factor that I wanted. Luckily I had the chance to swap out the frame for an L and I couldn't be happier.

Mostly been running in fun mode with an 80mm stem and xfusion trace @ 140mm, when I get back into marathon XC I'll probably stretch it out a bit with a 90 or 100mm stem and go back to the SID 120.

With the XL I tried 50,60 & 75 mm stems. It was more fun with the shorter stems (not as fun as the L with 80mm) but I think the longer forks with 51mm offset work better for me with a longer stem.

I'm 6ft with unmeasured inseam.

Al

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'll add to the sizing mess, I'm 6'2" and have a 34.5" inseam and longer'ish arms. My previous bike was a trek fuel ex 9 (19.5") and the current ibis I own is an XL which has the same exact TT length within 2mm the fit is perfect with a 90mm stem and I might even try an 80 mm to see how it fits just for fun. I'm running a fox 120/140 talas and love the ride and feel of the bike and don't think its too big at all, I stressed over reach angles and tt lengths and seat tube measurements for a good three months before buying the XL and couldn't be happier. I wasn't able to ride any before so I'm glad I got the XL.

mtbr member
    I'm your exact same size and couldn't even imagine riding an XL. I'm a 32 inseam, and am running a 70mm stem (90 was a bit more stable/planted but I like the 70's snappy feel), and currently running a setback seatpost with the seat dead center, although I'm about to try out a zero offset post as I feel my knees aren't exactly plumb with the center of the pedal spindle. Also running sweep bars (non-riser) in case that helps.