mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Ripley Frame Protection

Is anyone out there using any form of protection for the Ripley frame (especially the underside of the down tube, and on the chainstays).

If so, care to share what you are using? I'm keen to use something, but I'm not sure what.

Is Ibis going to bring out a Ripley downtube guard like is available for the Mojo?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I got this stuff called "helicopter tape" by 3M. Seems to work well. I don't know how much protection it will offer from rock hits, etc, but it protects the paint well from cable rub. There is also this thicker stuff, which I forgot the name of now, that comes in pre-cut pieces for the down tube, BB, and disc shapes for cable rub areas. Once I remember the name or find it again, I'll post it up here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Frameskin makes a clear protection kit for the Ripley. He posts on here from time to time so maybe he'll chime in. Do a google search for it. I thought he said he had both matte and gloss, depending on the frame you have, but don't quote me on that.

Someone else on here made a custom carbon down tube protector. You probably need to search for that. I thought he said he would make them for others for a fee.

mtbr member
    I bought the frameskin.. I have it on my HD as well, it's great. But I think it's ridiculous that Ibis doesn't put out a downtube protector for the bottom bracket area. I've already had multiple fist size rocks smash into my bottom tube, an it sounds like a gun going off when it hit the carbon, that's how hard of a hit it was..
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    I know that Ibis is working on a downtube protector ( I called and asked )
    in the meantime you can get this: Santa Cruz Bicycles Blur LT Downtube Protector | Competitive Cyclist
    I got it for my Ripley and for $11 it works great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks for all the replies. The Frameskins look really good. I'll probably look at getting one of those.

And I will definitely look at the Ibis downtube protector when it becomes available. Hopefully, it wont take as long to market as the bike...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    After looking at all of these options, I decided to use Shelter tape Shelter Bike Frame Protection. It's thicker than helicopter tape and is specially designed to absorb impacts. It's been reviewed on mtbr Shelter Impact Absorption Tape | Mountain Bike Review. It goes on well and looks nice; it's transparent but thick enough you can see it if you look, but it is inconspicuous. I can't tell for sure how well it works because there is no control, but I've heard some rocks bounce up and I don't see any damage, so I'm pleased with it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by agoura_biker View Post
    After looking at all of these options, I decided to use Shelter tape Shelter Bike Frame Protection. It's thicker than helicopter tape and is specially designed to absorb impacts. It's been reviewed on mtbr Shelter Impact Absorption Tape | Mountain Bike Review. It goes on well and looks nice; it's transparent but thick enough you can see it if you look, but it is inconspicuous. I can't tell for sure how well it works because there is no control, but I've heard some rocks bounce up and I don't see any damage, so I'm pleased with it.
    I had Shelter and took it off and now have Frameskin. The Shelter would great for the downtube if it was longer and wider. Also being thicker if your downtube has a curve at the bottom like most do, it doesn't conform as well as the thinner material.

Hopefully you don't end up with some that's been sitting on the shelf for a while. It's comes with two in a pack, both of mine started pulling up around the edges in less than a month.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    jesus christ. 110$ made me spit out my coffee.

You know you buy enough 3m helicopter tape to wrap 2 entire cars for that, right? Even if you splurge and buy the super thick 14mil outdoor grade.

It takes *maybe* an hour to cut and mount your own kit, and that is spending a whole bunch of time actually drinking beer.

I could see frameskin not being an insane ripoff, if it wasn't super easy to do at home. But it IS that easy to do yourself, doesn't take long at all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    jesus christ. 110$ made me spit out my coffee.

You know you buy enough 3m helicopter tape to wrap 2 entire cars for that, right? Even if you splurge and buy the super thick 14mil outdoor grade.

It takes *maybe* an hour to cut and mount your own kit, and that is spending a whole bunch of time actually drinking beer.

I could see frameskin not being an insane ripoff, if it wasn't super easy to do at home. But it IS that easy to do yourself, doesn't take long at all.
    Obviously it comes with more than just the downtube

Personally I call BS on the hour to do a good job on the a whole bike. Let see some pictures of your install.

My time is worth more. Yes I had the 3M tape and getting complex curves done correctly isn't that easy. Somethings are just easier for some people harder for others.

I tried the 3M on my Stumpjumper, that curved downtube was a pain in the ass and in the end, 3 trys later, still looked like crap. But I've been called anal more than once in life.

It takes time just to make the stencils for cutting out the 3M. Even using a razor on some of the shapes you just aren't to get as crisp a cut as someone using a cutting machine like this:
    Ripley Frame Protection-3087-thickbox.jpg

I put on the entire Frameskin kit on in less time than the 3 tries on the downtube alone of my SJ.

It's almost a 3k frame and you're scuffing at $100- really?
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    My time is worth more. Yes I had the 3M tape and getting complex curves done correctly isn't that easy. Somethings are just easier for some people harder for others.
    I agree. I put the custom Frameskin on an Intense Carbine and you can hardly even tell it's there unless you're actually looking for it. Well worth the $100 on a $6k bike. Also, does the helicopter tape even come in a matte finish?

Dropshot Champ!
    Somethings are just easier for some people harder for others.

I guess. It really isn't that tough though. I've done 9 bikes, none have taken over an hour. Measure/cut takes about 1.5 beers, depending on thirst.

yes, I'm talking about the whole bike. Five minutes for the downtube is probably the easiest part.

Save 100+ bucks for ~60minutes? Yep. Especially since I'm betting frameskin might actually take longer to put on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    I guess. It really isn't that tough though. I've done 9 bikes, none have taken over an hour. Measure/cut takes about 1.5 beers, depending on thirst.

yes, I'm talking about the whole bike. Five minutes for the downtube is probably the easiest part.

Save 100+ bucks for ~60minutes? Yep. Especially since I'm betting frameskin might actually take longer to put on.
    Well you know the forum saying, pictures or it didn't happen. Sorry, based on the frame skin kit I had and the cuts like the one pictured to get around compound curves, I call ******** on helicopter taping a whole bike in 1 hour unless its all round tubing.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Considering, a screen protector for my Garmin is around 30bucks...100 for a bike seems quite reasonable.

I tried cutting my own for my edge 510 from a universal square and it looks like crap. Still works but I will be buying the pre-cut one next.

My HD with the downtube protector is still covered in dings where the frame is exposed. The Ripley should have something down there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I had Shelter and took it off and now have Frameskin. The Shelter would great for the downtube if it was longer and wider. Also being thicker if your downtube has a curve at the bottom like most do, it doesn't conform as well as the thinner material.

Hopefully you don't end up with some that's been sitting on the shelf for a while. It's comes with two in a pack, both of mine started pulling up around the edges in less than a month.
    One of the Shelter pieces was plenty long for the downtube on my larger Ripley - it doesn't have to go all the way up to the headtube because rocks don't get thrown up there. And it seems plenty wide enough - it wraps around the edge of the downtube. Maybe some of the difference in opinion here is whether you want tape that covers the whole bike, or just something to protect the downtube from rocks thrown up as you ride. I find the cable routing on the Ripley to pretty much keep away from the frame so I don't need protection from cable-rubbing, so I wasn't looking for something to cover the whole bike.

You are right that Shelter tape is hard to wrap around a sharp bend in a tube. So I but a small section off the main piece to put on the bottom part of the downtube, where it bends to be more horizontal. I still have a long enough length remaining to cover the downtube. The two pieces butt up against each other and together provide good coverage. I like the extra security the thick, impact-absorbing Shelter tape provides.

I haven't had any trouble with the edges pulling up. Maybe you got a bum batch.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by agoura_biker View Post
    One of the Shelter pieces was plenty long for the downtube on my larger Ripley - it doesn't have to go all the way up to the headtube because rocks don't get thrown up there. And it seems plenty wide enough - it wraps around the edge of the downtube. Maybe some of the difference in opinion here is whether you want tape that covers the whole bike, or just something to protect the downtube from rocks thrown up as you ride. I find the cable routing on the Ripley to pretty much keep away from the frame so I don't need protection from cable-rubbing, so I wasn't looking for something to cover the whole bike.

You are right that Shelter tape is hard to wrap around a sharp bend in a tube. So I but a small section off the main piece to put on the bottom part of the downtube, where it bends to be more horizontal. I still have a long enough length remaining to cover the downtube. The two pieces butt up against each other and together provide good coverage. I like the extra security the thick, impact-absorbing Shelter tape provides.

I haven't had any trouble with the edges pulling up. Maybe you got a bum batch.
    Maybe, but the CS wasn't great either, offered to send a replacement pack and I never got it.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Maybe, but the CS wasn't great either, offered to send a replacement pack and I never got it.
    I didn't have to contact them, so I never got to test their CS. That's important, of course. Still, I've very happy with what I got.

mtbr member
    you get what you pay for.. frameskin is done on autocad an laser cut to fit.. had one on my HD for 2 years, looks perfect.. bought another for my ripley..
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    you get what you pay for.. frameskin is done on autocad an laser cut to fit.. had one on my HD for 2 years, looks perfect.. bought another for my ripley..
    I have frameskin on both Ripley and MojoSL. It is not cheap, but when I took a hard fall on 4th ride of Ripley, it felt worth it. Otherwise there would be some serious paint scratches on top tube. It would be nice if I can get only top tube part now.

I picked the thinner version of frameskin for Ripley. You can hardly tell it is there, and coverage for rear triangle is much better compared to the one for MojoSL from 5 years ago.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jlian View Post
    I have frameskin on both Ripley and MojoSL. It is not cheap, but when I took a hard fall on 4th ride of Ripley, it felt worth it. Otherwise there would be some serious paint scratches on top tube. It would be nice if I can get only top tube part now.

I picked the thinner version of frameskin for Ripley. You can hardly tell it is there, and coverage for rear triangle is much better compared to the one for MojoSL from 5 years ago.
    So there is different thickness options for the frameskin? Or is there a thickness difference between the matte and gloss?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mcam View Post
    So there is different thickness options for the frameskin? Or is there a thickness difference between the matte and gloss?
    I bought it when it first became available, and was under the impression that premium gloss is thinner than the matte. Ask the question at FrameSkin site. The owner (Fishboy) used to show up on this board often.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jlian View Post
    I bought it when it first became available, and was under the impression that premium gloss is thinner than the matte. Ask the question at FrameSkin site. The owner (Fishboy) used to show up on this board often.
    Thanks for the reply. I'll contact them

I see they now list the downtube protector by itself as an option too.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcam View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I'll contact them

I see they now list the downtube protector by itself as an option too.
    I emailed them yesterday to ask if they would offer downtube only protection as I wasn't interested in purchasing the entire kit. Received an email from Alan within a couple of hours that he added it as an option to the site. I think I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger. The only thing that held me back yesterday was the shipping from Australia is $18 to Colorado, so almost $50 "out the door".

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Frameskin is the way to go in my opinion. Here are a few pics of my bike being assembled. It has the full frameskin kit on. You can hardly see it. . . . that was two months ago. The bike now has over 800km on it and the frameskin has kept the bike looking almost like it was brand new.

I do have to agree with some that it's ridiculous that there is no down tube protector from ibis thats especially designed for the Ripley.

ExxRipley Frame Protection-dsc01842.jpgRipley Frame Protection-dsc01844.jpg