Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Ripley compatible forks

Although the Ripley will ride OK with a shorter rake fork, the best handling is achieved with a 51 mm offset (rake) fork.

The 51 mm offset is available from Fox (optional on 32s with 120 mm travel, it is stock on the 34 140 mm)
    Fox aftermarket part numbers for the 34 140:
    US aftermarket
    910-01-415 2013, 34-K, FLOAT 29in F-S, 140, CTD-Adj, FIT, Wht, Gold Logo, 15QR, 1.5 T, Disc, 51mm Rake, DE

International aftermarket
    910-90-402 2013, 34-K, FLOAT 29in F-S, 140, CTD-Adj, FIT, Wht, Gold Logo, 15QR, 1.5 T, Disc, 51mm Rake, DI

There is currently no aftermarket part number for the 32 120 mm. Fox is working on it and this list will get updated when / if we get new information.

Also available from X-Fusion, arriving this week (March 25th 2013):
    Trace Taper 120mm 15mm White
    Trace Taper 120mm 15mm Black
    Trace Taper 140mm 15mm White
    Trace Taper 140mm 15mm Black

Rock Shox makes 46 and 51 mm offset in 29r 120 and 140 travel forks, but the 51 is not generally stocked by shops and distributors. This one will be hard to find for a while.

Cheers!

Hans
    Last edited by hanssc; 03-25-2013 at 02:34 PM. Reason: More info added

It's the axle
    Have you guys discussed, or have any opinions on, using the Lefty with the Ripley?
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I am not up to speed on the specs...
    H

MSH
    mtbr member
    This was the biggest screw up on my part since I decided to get all my parts prior to the Ripley specs being released. Guess my standard offset RS fork I already purchased goes up on EBay shortly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH View Post
    This was the biggest screw up on my part since I decided to get all my parts prior to the Ripley specs being released. Guess my standard offset RS fork I already purchased goes up on EBay shortly.
    Check the rake 1st, might be OK.
    H

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc View Post
    Check the rake 1st, might be OK.
    H
    RS 29 forks std offset is 46mm. I normally wouldn't worry about it that much but want to spec mine with the fork offset you guys designed/intended it for. Wasn't Evan Plews running (and maybe still running) the Manitou Tower on his which I believe are 48mm offset?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Understood. 51 mm would be better.
    H

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hmm, this has got me thinking. I have a 32 Talas 120 on backorder with my LBS right now and wondering if I should call them to change it to a 51mm.

I'm not a bike geo expert, not even close, but I plugged the numbers into a Trail Calculator for my SLR(not sure if I'm right), Fox 32 Talas 140 - 44mm offset, 67.5 HA with Angleset; and trail came out to ~93. I really liked the way the bike rode and corner. So if I use a standard Fox 32 Talas 120mm with 46mm offset, trail would be ~86.
    Not sure if my calculations are right or wrong, but not being able to demo the bike before, I have to go on something I know. I know it's designed at 80 trail, and I know it's really up to me and how I like it, but it's just got me thinking. Hmm

mtbr member
    Hans:

Thanks for this fork/offset info.

I already had ordered a Rock Shox Revelation RCT3 Solo Air 29" 2013 fork for the upcoming Ripley and it seems like it doesn't have the preferred 51 mm offset.

I have few questions.

1. What kind of effect does the shorter 46 mm offset on the Revelation have on Ripley's handling? As far as I understand the shorter offset increases the trail measurement (how much)? How does this affect handling?

2. Is there a version of Revelation 29" with 51 mm offset available to end-users? I haven't seen Rock Shox even mention the offset in relation to Revelation let alone offering different offset-versions of the fork.
    Last edited by Portti; 03-20-2013 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Clarification of misunderstanding related to trail increase question
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

mtbr member
    May 2010
    You can go here to calculate trail. Bicycle Trail Calculator | yojimg.net

It looks like using a 46mm offset fork will give you more trail as it brings the contact patch further from the steering axis.

If you read Ibis Ripley story, they decided to go with 70 degree HA to help with descending and then offset the trail with a 51mm fork to give a more snappy response. They want the numbers be in line with the SL and SLR.

mtbr member
    Cannot find any direct info on the RS and X-Fusion online.
    Could you please post the respective part numbers for reference?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hans,

I think I remember reading in a prior post that you said you have the Fox Forks available. What's the availability on the Fox 32.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by simenf View Post
    Cannot find any direct info on the RS and X-Fusion online.
    Could you please post the respective part numbers for reference?
    I put up my standard offset RS SID up for sale yesterday. I ordered the 51mm offset version yesterday as well. Mfg# 00.4018.238.003. I pulled that part # from the Universal Cycles website and ordered through my dealer Scroll down here....
    Universal Cycles -- Rock Shox SID RCT3 Solo Air 29er Fork 2013

If I recall from the other threads correctly you are looking at the Revelations as a possible option? Problem is (which you alluded to) finding the 51mm offset part #'s for any other forks (either X-Fusion or RS) other than the RS SID 120mm is a major challenge. I searched on Universal Cycle's site and a few others and nothing

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Fox 32 and 34 are In stock!
    H

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Fox 32 and 34 are In stock!
    H
    Thanks Hans! Called my LBS to switch.

mtbr member
    I spoke with Rock Shox this week and they don't have a SID RCT3 120mm with the 51mm offset. You can get a 100mm with 51mm offset though. Apparently there are some OEM 120mm 51mm's out there, but I had no luck. Cambria Bikes lists them on the website, but when I called they said they don't have them (?).

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FastDDS View Post
    I spoke with Rock Shox this week and they don't have a SID RCT3 120mm with the 51mm offset. You can get a 100mm with 51mm offset though. Apparently there are some OEM 120mm 51mm's out there, but I had no luck. Cambria Bikes lists them on the website, but when I called they said they don't have them (?).
    I must have got one of the few that were left then. I ordered yesterday through bikerbob that a lot of folks here on mtbr have used.

Edit- I should clarify that I did double check with Bob today that he did indeed order the 120mm version and he confirmed the 120 version is what he ordered. Guess we'll see once it officially comes in

BTW - If you go to Universal Cycles website they do show as having the 120mm w/ 51mm offset available in their New Mexico warehouse (4 qty available as of this evening) available to order
    Last edited by MSH; 03-20-2013 at 08:33 PM. Reason: additional info

Hello
    Thanks too.

I put up my standard offset RS SID up for sale yesterday. I ordered the 51mm offset version yesterday as well. Mfg# 00.4018.238.003. I pulled that part # from the Universal Cycles website and ordered through my dealer Scroll down here....
    Universal Cycles -- Rock Shox SID RCT3 Solo Air 29er Fork 2013

If I recall from the other threads correctly you are looking at the Revelations as a possible option? Problem is (which you alluded to) finding the 51mm offset part #'s for any other forks (either X-Fusion or RS) other than the RS SID 120mm is a major challenge. I searched on Universal Cycle's site and a few others and nothing

sent from my rotary phone

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg K View Post
    Have you guys discussed, or have any opinions on, using the Lefty with the Ripley?
    Without proper alignment tools, just a couple straight edges, I see the Lefty being 45 or 46mm offset...

I have one on my Tallboy now and will at least try it when I get a Ripley.

I'm set up for a demo ride at the end of the month...
    Largest NorCal XC Race Series
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Best in the West!

It's the axle
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusJackSlade View Post
    Without proper alignment tools, just a couple straight edges, I see the Lefty being 45 or 46mm offset...

I've seen several posts that say the Lefty offset is 45mm. But the newer 29er fork might be different since those were older posts.

Trail is affected by headtube angle and offset.

From a thread by what appears to be a qualified poster-
    Increased offset = decreased trail = faster handling despite longer wheelbase.
    Decreased offset = increased trail = slower handling despite shorter wheelbase.

It appears to be a fairly complicated variable in the bike handling geometry, with quite a bit more than just what I copied and pasted from the thread. High speed versus slow speed handling. Now I'm a bit disappointed since the Lefty might very well be less than desirable with the Ripley.

It's the axle
    Regarding the Lefty, this article says the 2012 29er has 53mm of offset. So...who knows.

Eurobike 2012: Special Report- Cannondale Trigger 29/Lefty Max

mtbr member
    Hans....Is it possible for someone at Ibis to find out at what the offset is for the most common forks recommended for the Ripley? Or better yet, get us the exact model numbers for the forks that have 51mm of offset. I simply don't believe that the average shop worker is going to know this and will order the wrong fork for the bike. Ibis should have more pull with companies like Fox, Rockshox, etc. to obtain this information. The last thing I want is to spend 6/7/8 grand for a bike and have it handle just "OK".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgong View Post
    You can go here to calculate trail. Bicycle Trail Calculator | yojimg.net...
    Using this calculator I get 96 mm trail for RS Revelation 140 mm fork on Ripley with 46 mm offset using the following parametres:

- Head angle 68.5 mm
    - Fork offset 46 mm
    - Bead-seat diameter 622 mm (700C)
    - Tire width 53 mm

Changing the fork offset to 51 mm gives 90 mm trail which corresponds with the figure which Ibis gives on their website.
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Portti View Post
    Using this calculator I get 96 mm trail for RS Revelation 140 mm fork on Ripley with 46 mm offset using the following parametres:

- Head angle 68.5 mm
    - Fork offset 46 mm
    - Bead-seat diameter 622 mm (700C)
    - Tire width 53 mm

Changing the fork offset to 51 mm gives 90 mm trail which corresponds with the figure which Ibis gives on their website.

Yep that sounds right. I ordered a 51mm Offset Fox Float from Ibis to get the 80 trail. I'm going to ride it as Ibis intended and if need be, have an Angleset from my SLR to dial in the trail more. I usually like my bikes in the 90 range so we'll see.

MSH
    mtbr member
    I must have got one of the few that were left then. I ordered yesterday through bikerbob that a lot of folks here on mtbr have used.

Edit- I should clarify that I did double check with Bob today that he did indeed order the 120mm version and he confirmed the 120 version is what he ordered. Guess we'll see once it officially comes in

BTW - If you go to Universal Cycles website they do show as having the 120mm w/ 51mm offset available in their New Mexico warehouse (4 qty available as of this evening) available to order
    Bad news for me and any others that ordered (or I should say "thought" they ordered) the 120mm 51mm offset SID RCT3 fork. I called Universal Cycles just now to ask about the inconsistent information on RS Mfg# 00.4018.238.003 (some sites were showing this part# as a 100mm fork and some show it as 120mm). Universal is one site that listed that fork on their website as the 120mm version. I conveyed to the Universal Rep the inconsistencies in info. He put me on hold and called RS directly and they did confirm that that sku is the 100mm version. They are updating the info on their website to reflect that it is a 100mm fork
    I guess it's back to the drawing board for me

MSH
    mtbr member
    So I called RockShox directly on this and the Tech I spoke with was super helpful. As far as a 120mm SID RCT3 there is NO 120mm version available at this time (So FastDDS a couple of posts up was 100% spot on)

The only option (other than finding a "takeoff" that has already been converted) is to buy the 100mm/51mm offset version and then convert the entire SoloAir spring assembly to the 120mm version. For those interested the Tech provided me with the Part # to order ---> 11.4018.010.046 BTI | Rock Shox SoloAir spring assembly, 2013 Reba/SID B (29") 120mm

Looks like price is around $85 if you do a search on that part # on Google, but all retailers (including BTI) don't have it in stock yet

I didn't ask the RS tech about the Revelations, etc in the 51mm offset flavor but I'm assuming it's going to be the same story

Bottom line....with RockShox, at this point in time, it looks like you either have to perform some unnatural acts if you want the 51mm offset version of the SID 120mm forks. EDIT - looks like Brisco Dog confirmed with RS a couple of posts down that Revelations can be ordered in 51mm offset
    Last edited by MSH; 03-21-2013 at 02:35 PM. Reason: updated info

MSH
    mtbr member
    Sorry for the info inundation all but I hope this helps those of you who are looking for alternatives to the Fox forks....
    Emailed X-Fusion for their options on 51mm offset 29 forks. Here's the response...

Yes we have a 51mm offset 29er fork called the Trace. Unfortunately the fork will not become available until early May.

Please check back with us then.

Cheers,

John Valera
    X-Fusion-Shox USA
    USA Sales/Service Manager

mtbr member
    I also called Rock Shox this morning. They confirmed that the Sid's have an offset of 46mm, but that Revelations can be order for either 46mm or 51mm.

I'm more of a dog person
    Now it's May????? At this rate we may not see this mysterious Trace until 2014. I may have to consider a different fork with all these delays

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by unclekittykiller View Post
    Now it's May????? At this rate we may not see this mysterious Trace until 2014. I may have to consider a different fork with all these delays
    I wanted a Ripley with a Trace on it since the moment they were announced. I've had two different bikes since then, and been very happy on my Tallboy LTc with a Fox 34 for six months now. I'm hoping my next bike purchase will be an Ibis, either for me or my wife, hopefully with an X-Fusion fork. I'm all set on 29er FS trailbikes, though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hi,
    So what are the stock forks available w/ 51mm offset in 120 mm & 140 mm ?
    I saw a SID RCT3 100 w/ 51 offset here : ROCK SHOX Federgabel 29" SID RCT3 2013 100 mm QR15 tapered 51 Offset
    On the description, they write that it's possible to switch @80 or 120mm w/ internal spacer, is it right ?

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kite85 View Post
    ....On the description, they write that it's possible to switch @80 or 120mm w/ internal spacer, is it right ?
    That is incorrect according to the RS Tech I spoke with. It is no longer a simple internal spacer swap for 2013 forks. You need to replace the whole air spring assembly.

MSH
    mtbr member
    ........EDIT 3/21/2013: Sorry to send you guys off on a wild goose chase! We are getting info from the other manufacturers on this, but the Taiwan show is happening currently and it might take a couple of days to get the info. Thanks for all the follow up posts and info. More soon.

Cheers!

Hans
    Great news. Thanks Hans!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Bump

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    It's a shame that there doesn't seem to be a dual position fork in the market with a 140mm/120mm position option. It looks like they're all 140mm/110mm. It would be the perfect option.. 120mm for when racing a marathon; 140mm when doing some trail/AM riding

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubas View Post
    It's a shame that there doesn't seem to be a dual position fork in the market with a 140mm/120mm position option. It looks like they're all 140mm/110mm. It would be the perfect option.. 120mm for when racing a marathon; 140mm when doing some trail/AM riding
    It's already not worth the extra seals and weight for the 30mm change. It would be even less so for 20mm. It's my opinion, but you'd be crazy to put a travel adjust fork on this bike.

MSH
    mtbr member
    So I called RockShox directly on this and the Tech I spoke with was super helpful. As far as a 120mm SID RCT3 there is NO 120mm version available at this time (So FastDDS a couple of posts up was 100% spot on)

The only option (other than finding a "takeoff" that has already been converted) is to buy the 100mm/51mm offset version and then convert the entire SoloAir spring assembly to the 120mm version. For those interested the Tech provided me with the Part # to order ---> 11.4018.010.046 BTI | Rock Shox SoloAir spring assembly, 2013 Reba/SID B (29") 120mm....
    More updated info for anyone interested in converting a RS SID 100mm G2 fork to 120mm.....
    I spoke to another tech at RS today to inquire as to when the 120mm air spring assemblies would be in stock as none of the distributors have them in stock right now. I was advised a 4/15 availability date, but this tech told me that to go from 100mm to 120mm I would also need to change the lowers to the 120mm version and change some bushings. This completely changes my plans yet again as the price to do this conversion is beyond reasonable from a cost perspective (not to mention hassle factor).
    This was also confirmed by someone else in another thread when they inquired about changing a 2013 RS fork from 100 to 120 with RS directly... 2013 Reba RL 29 and Reba RLT 29 100mm Travel adjustable to 120mm?

Basically I'm down to choosing between going with the 46mm offset version of the RS or just get the Fox G2 fork directly from Ibis with my frame
    Last edited by MSH; 03-26-2013 at 02:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I am not up to speed on the specs...
    H
    Regarding the Lefty, this article says the 2012 29er has 53mm of offset. So...who knows.

Eurobike 2012: Special Report- Cannondale Trigger 29/Lefty Max
    I've seen several posts that say the Lefty offset is 45mm. But the newer 29er fork might be different since those were older posts.

Trail is affected by headtube angle and offset.

From a thread by what appears to be a qualified poster-
    Increased offset = decreased trail = faster handling despite longer wheelbase.
    Decreased offset = increased trail = slower handling despite shorter wheelbase.

It appears to be a fairly complicated variable in the bike handling geometry, with quite a bit more than just what I copied and pasted from the thread. High speed versus slow speed handling. Now I'm a bit disappointed since the Lefty might very well be less than desirable with the Ripley.
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusJackSlade View Post

Hans, it appears that the Lefty Supermax 29 from C'dale has a 61mm offset/rake with 130mm of travel. It might be a bit too snappy with the reduced trail, but if the A-C height is probably a bit taller than the Fox 120mm fork, it could even out in stability vs. nimbleness. Since its torsional stiffness is probably a bit better than the Fox forks, at least until you get to a 36mm stanchion, it may provide for a suitable ride, even with a reduced trail. If in fact it is reduced! I'll have to measure a Supermax 29er Lefty when my LBS gets one in.

Here is a video from Bike Mag on a Trigger 29er teaser where I saw the spec for the offset/rake as 61mm for the Supermax:
    Cannondale Trigger 29er: Preview - YouTube

It's the axle
    I didn't want to chime in before the Ibis team had their say, but I have a thought on trail that might be worth mentioning. Key word- thought. Not experience with riding on an actual bike.

The bigger the offset (less trail), the more the rear wheel is active in steering. If you exaggerate offset to the extreme, the head tube becomes like a hinge. And the frame behind the head tube swings as well as the forks. If that is the case, and I can't see why it wouldn't be, then more offset (less trail) is great for slower speeds.- Tight turning for switchbacks.

So I believe that depending on what your favored riding is, trail can be a friend or an enemy.

The conclusion I am coming to is-
    Less trail is good for switchbacks and tight singletrack at slower speeds.
    More trail is good for downhill and faster speeds.

****Oops. Edited to make sense. The post directly below is right. Now both of our posts agree.

The point I was trying to make is that if offset were 5 feet, when you turned the bars, the whole bike frame would also hinge, making the rear wheel also play a role in steering.
    Last edited by Gregg K; 03-27-2013 at 01:36 PM.

MSH
    mtbr member
    The conclusion I am coming to is-
    More trail is good for switchbacks and tight singletrack at slower speeds.
    Less trail is good for downhill and faster speeds.
    I thought the opposite was true. More trail makes the bike more stable at speed but less maneuverable.
    If you look at the bottom of the Story tab on Ibis website you will see the shorter travel bikes have less trail (SL, SLR, and Ripley with 80mm) and the larger travel Mojo HD 160 has 100mm trail.

Calfee's summary on trail and impact on handling...
    http://www.calfeedesign.com/tech-pap...bike-handling/

"....Trail is best thought of as the tire patch “trailing” behind the steering axis. Fork offset for road bikes usually ranges from 40 to 55 mm, generating trail figures from 50 to 63 mm. 57mm of trail is considered by many to be an ideal combination of stability and agility. More trail is nice at high speeds (motorcycles usually have 80 mm of trail) but can feel sluggish at slower speeds."

It's the axle
    Oh, I'm sorry. I knew it was wrong, but my brain wasn't working.

I was thinking offset, but writing trail.

I've edited it to make sense.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Makes sense.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Oh, I'm sorry. I knew it was wrong, but my brain wasn't working.

I was thinking offset, but writing trail.

I've edited it to make sense.
    No worries Gregg! To be honest until the whole discussion came up with the Ripley and the 51mm offset forks I never gave trail figures much thought. It's been a good education/learning experience.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    It's already not worth the extra seals and weight for the 30mm change. It would be even less so for 20mm. It's my opinion, but you'd be crazy to put a travel adjust fork on this bike.
    Really? I'm not so sure - I can see myself quickly dropping the bike down to 120mm for a long training ride or marathon race on a saturday, and then popping it up to a 140mm to say, race an Enduro on the sunday

I can't see myself racing 140mm in a marathon, and 120mm in an Enduro? Maybe.. 130mm is the obvious solution here, but for a weight penalty of 100g (?) i'd probably go with a dual position to be honest..

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubas View Post
    Really? I'm not so sure - I can see myself quickly dropping the bike down to 120mm for a long training ride or marathon race on a saturday, and then popping it up to a 140mm to say, race an Enduro on the sunday

I can't see myself racing 140mm in a marathon, and 120mm in an Enduro? Maybe.. 130mm is the obvious solution here, but for a weight penalty of 100g (?) i'd probably go with a dual position to be honest..
    I don't know why the length of the ride would matter. I could see (maybe) wanting to change the damping. The conventional wisdom is that the longer fork might negatively affect your climbing, but on a well designed bike of this type, I don't think that's the case. The amount of travel doesn't inherently make something less efficient. It's the effect of the travel on the geometry. It seems like the Ripley geo is probably dialed in as is, whether you are running at 120 or 140. If travel adjust forks performed the same as their nonadjustable counterparts, I'd say sure, why not? But if you do much research on them most people will tell you that they suffer from higher stiction and different performance in the high and low travel settings, in addition to the extra weight and mechanical complexity.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    I don't know why the length of the ride would matter. I could see (maybe) wanting to change the damping. The conventional wisdom is that the longer fork might negatively affect your climbing, but on a well designed bike of this type, I don't think that's the case. The amount of travel doesn't inherently make something less efficient. It's the effect of the travel on the geometry. It seems like the Ripley geo is probably dialed in as is, whether you are running at 120 or 140. If travel adjust forks performed the same as their nonadjustable counterparts, I'd say sure, why not? But if you do much research on them most people will tell you that they suffer from higher stiction and different performance in the high and low travel settings, in addition to the extra weight and mechanical complexity.
    Yep - good points.. the change would be definitely to affect geometry and climbing ability. As you say, it depends heavily on the bike, so i'll wait to hear more reviews. I just think that climbing a ~8km hill like I have on one of my training routes is going to be a hell of a lot easier in the 120mm setting/geometry than the 140mm setting/geometry.

Similarly, descending rough technical terrain is going to be easier at 140mm vs 120mm (travel and geometry)

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    And the Manitou Tower Pro 120mm with 48mm offset? Good option?

I have one (100mm) on my rigid and I love how it feels, more than Fox.

mtbr member
    I think Evan Plews was/is running that fork on his Ripley. Kinda splits the difference between the Fox and RS offset.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Does anyone have any insight on the offset/rake numbers for the soon-to-be available Pike?

Riding RockShox's New 2014 Pike - First Look - Pinkbike

I'm more of a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnwater View Post
    Does anyone have any insight on the offset/rake numbers for the soon-to-be available Pike?

Riding RockShox's New 2014 Pike - First Look - Pinkbike
    If it comes with a 51mm offset, it will find a home on my Ripley. I was pretty adamant about waiting for the Trace, but this new Pike has totally caught my eye. I'll be pretty dissapointed in RS if they only offer it in a standard offset.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast