Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Ripley compatible forks

Although the Ripley will ride OK with a shorter rake fork, the best handling is achieved with a 51 mm offset (rake) fork.

The 51 mm offset is available from Fox (optional on 32s with 120 mm travel, it is stock on the 34 140 mm)
    Fox aftermarket part numbers for the 34 140:
    US aftermarket
    910-01-415 2013, 34-K, FLOAT 29in F-S, 140, CTD-Adj, FIT, Wht, Gold Logo, 15QR, 1.5 T, Disc, 51mm Rake, DE

International aftermarket
    910-90-402 2013, 34-K, FLOAT 29in F-S, 140, CTD-Adj, FIT, Wht, Gold Logo, 15QR, 1.5 T, Disc, 51mm Rake, DI

There is currently no aftermarket part number for the 32 120 mm. Fox is working on it and this list will get updated when / if we get new information.

Also available from X-Fusion, arriving this week (March 25th 2013):
    Trace Taper 120mm 15mm White
    Trace Taper 120mm 15mm Black
    Trace Taper 140mm 15mm White
    Trace Taper 140mm 15mm Black

Rock Shox makes 46 and 51 mm offset in 29r 120 and 140 travel forks, but the 51 is not generally stocked by shops and distributors. This one will be hard to find for a while.

Cheers!

Hans
    Last edited by hanssc; 03-25-2013 at 01:34 PM. Reason: More info added
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

It's the axle
    Have you guys discussed, or have any opinions on, using the Lefty with the Ripley?
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I am not up to speed on the specs...
    H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

MSH
    mtbr member
    This was the biggest screw up on my part since I decided to get all my parts prior to the Ripley specs being released. Guess my standard offset RS fork I already purchased goes up on EBay shortly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH View Post
    This was the biggest screw up on my part since I decided to get all my parts prior to the Ripley specs being released. Guess my standard offset RS fork I already purchased goes up on EBay shortly.
    Check the rake 1st, might be OK.
    H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc View Post
    Check the rake 1st, might be OK.
    H
    RS 29 forks std offset is 46mm. I normally wouldn't worry about it that much but want to spec mine with the fork offset you guys designed/intended it for. Wasn't Evan Plews running (and maybe still running) the Manitou Tower on his which I believe are 48mm offset?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Understood. 51 mm would be better.
    H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hmm, this has got me thinking. I have a 32 Talas 120 on backorder with my LBS right now and wondering if I should call them to change it to a 51mm.

I'm not a bike geo expert, not even close, but I plugged the numbers into a Trail Calculator for my SLR(not sure if I'm right), Fox 32 Talas 140 - 44mm offset, 67.5 HA with Angleset; and trail came out to ~93. I really liked the way the bike rode and corner. So if I use a standard Fox 32 Talas 120mm with 46mm offset, trail would be ~86.
    Not sure if my calculations are right or wrong, but not being able to demo the bike before, I have to go on something I know. I know it's designed at 80 trail, and I know it's really up to me and how I like it, but it's just got me thinking. Hmm

mtbr member
    Hans:

Thanks for this fork/offset info.

I already had ordered a Rock Shox Revelation RCT3 Solo Air 29" 2013 fork for the upcoming Ripley and it seems like it doesn't have the preferred 51 mm offset.

I have few questions.

1. What kind of effect does the shorter 46 mm offset on the Revelation have on Ripley's handling? As far as I understand the shorter offset increases the trail measurement (how much)? How does this affect handling?

2. Is there a version of Revelation 29" with 51 mm offset available to end-users? I haven't seen Rock Shox even mention the offset in relation to Revelation let alone offering different offset-versions of the fork.
    Last edited by Portti; 03-20-2013 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Clarification of misunderstanding related to trail increase question
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

mtbr member
    May 2010
    You can go here to calculate trail. Bicycle Trail Calculator | yojimg.net

It looks like using a 46mm offset fork will give you more trail as it brings the contact patch further from the steering axis.

If you read Ibis Ripley story, they decided to go with 70 degree HA to help with descending and then offset the trail with a 51mm fork to give a more snappy response. They want the numbers be in line with the SL and SLR.

mtbr member
    Cannot find any direct info on the RS and X-Fusion online.
    Could you please post the respective part numbers for reference?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hans,

I think I remember reading in a prior post that you said you have the Fox Forks available. What's the availability on the Fox 32.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by simenf View Post
    Cannot find any direct info on the RS and X-Fusion online.
    Could you please post the respective part numbers for reference?
    I put up my standard offset RS SID up for sale yesterday. I ordered the 51mm offset version yesterday as well. Mfg# 00.4018.238.003. I pulled that part # from the Universal Cycles website and ordered through my dealer Scroll down here....
    Universal Cycles -- Rock Shox SID RCT3 Solo Air 29er Fork 2013

If I recall from the other threads correctly you are looking at the Revelations as a possible option? Problem is (which you alluded to) finding the 51mm offset part #'s for any other forks (either X-Fusion or RS) other than the RS SID 120mm is a major challenge. I searched on Universal Cycle's site and a few others and nothing

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Fox 32 and 34 are In stock!
    H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc View Post
    Fox 32 and 34 are In stock!
    H
    Thanks Hans! Called my LBS to switch.

mtbr member
    I spoke with Rock Shox this week and they don't have a SID RCT3 120mm with the 51mm offset. You can get a 100mm with 51mm offset though. Apparently there are some OEM 120mm 51mm's out there, but I had no luck. Cambria Bikes lists them on the website, but when I called they said they don't have them (?).

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FastDDS View Post
    I spoke with Rock Shox this week and they don't have a SID RCT3 120mm with the 51mm offset. You can get a 100mm with 51mm offset though. Apparently there are some OEM 120mm 51mm's out there, but I had no luck. Cambria Bikes lists them on the website, but when I called they said they don't have them (?).
    I must have got one of the few that were left then. I ordered yesterday through bikerbob that a lot of folks here on mtbr have used.

Edit- I should clarify that I did double check with Bob today that he did indeed order the 120mm version and he confirmed the 120 version is what he ordered. Guess we'll see once it officially comes in

BTW - If you go to Universal Cycles website they do show as having the 120mm w/ 51mm offset available in their New Mexico warehouse (4 qty available as of this evening) available to order
    Last edited by MSH; 03-20-2013 at 07:33 PM. Reason: additional info

Hello
    Thanks too.

I put up my standard offset RS SID up for sale yesterday. I ordered the 51mm offset version yesterday as well. Mfg# 00.4018.238.003. I pulled that part # from the Universal Cycles website and ordered through my dealer Scroll down here....
    Universal Cycles -- Rock Shox SID RCT3 Solo Air 29er Fork 2013

If I recall from the other threads correctly you are looking at the Revelations as a possible option? Problem is (which you alluded to) finding the 51mm offset part #'s for any other forks (either X-Fusion or RS) other than the RS SID 120mm is a major challenge. I searched on Universal Cycle's site and a few others and nothing

sent from my rotary phone

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg K View Post
    Have you guys discussed, or have any opinions on, using the Lefty with the Ripley?
    Without proper alignment tools, just a couple straight edges, I see the Lefty being 45 or 46mm offset...

I have one on my Tallboy now and will at least try it when I get a Ripley.

I'm set up for a demo ride at the end of the month...
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com

It's the axle
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusJackSlade View Post
    Without proper alignment tools, just a couple straight edges, I see the Lefty being 45 or 46mm offset...

I have one on my Tallboy now and will at least try it when I get a Ripley.

I'm set up for a demo ride at the end of the month...
    I've seen several posts that say the Lefty offset is 45mm. But the newer 29er fork might be different since those were older posts.

Trail is affected by headtube angle and offset.

From a thread by what appears to be a qualified poster-
    Increased offset = decreased trail = faster handling despite longer wheelbase.
    Decreased offset = increased trail = slower handling despite shorter wheelbase.

It appears to be a fairly complicated variable in the bike handling geometry, with quite a bit more than just what I copied and pasted from the thread. High speed versus slow speed handling. Now I'm a bit disappointed since the Lefty might very well be less than desirable with the Ripley.

It's the axle
    Regarding the Lefty, this article says the 2012 29er has 53mm of offset. So...who knows.

Eurobike 2012: Special Report- Cannondale Trigger 29/Lefty Max

mtbr member
    Hans....Is it possible for someone at Ibis to find out at what the offset is for the most common forks recommended for the Ripley? Or better yet, get us the exact model numbers for the forks that have 51mm of offset. I simply don't believe that the average shop worker is going to know this and will order the wrong fork for the bike. Ibis should have more pull with companies like Fox, Rockshox, etc. to obtain this information. The last thing I want is to spend 6/7/8 grand for a bike and have it handle just "OK".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgong View Post
    You can go here to calculate trail. Bicycle Trail Calculator | yojimg.net...
    Using this calculator I get 96 mm trail for RS Revelation 140 mm fork on Ripley with 46 mm offset using the following parametres:

- Head angle 68.5 mm
    - Fork offset 46 mm
    - Bead-seat diameter 622 mm (700C)
    - Tire width 53 mm

Changing the fork offset to 51 mm gives 90 mm trail which corresponds with the figure which Ibis gives on their website.
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Portti View Post
    Using this calculator I get 96 mm trail for RS Revelation 140 mm fork on Ripley with 46 mm offset using the following parametres:

- Head angle 68.5 mm
    - Fork offset 46 mm
    - Bead-seat diameter 622 mm (700C)
    - Tire width 53 mm

Changing the fork offset to 51 mm gives 90 mm trail which corresponds with the figure which Ibis gives on their website.

Yep that sounds right. I ordered a 51mm Offset Fox Float from Ibis to get the 80 trail. I'm going to ride it as Ibis intended and if need be, have an Angleset from my SLR to dial in the trail more. I usually like my bikes in the 90 range so we'll see.

MSH
    mtbr member
    I must have got one of the few that were left then. I ordered yesterday through bikerbob that a lot of folks here on mtbr have used.

Edit- I should clarify that I did double check with Bob today that he did indeed order the 120mm version and he confirmed the 120 version is what he ordered. Guess we'll see once it officially comes in

BTW - If you go to Universal Cycles website they do show as having the 120mm w/ 51mm offset available in their New Mexico warehouse (4 qty available as of this evening) available to order
    Bad news for me and any others that ordered (or I should say "thought" they ordered) the 120mm 51mm offset SID RCT3 fork. I called Universal Cycles just now to ask about the inconsistent information on RS Mfg# 00.4018.238.003 (some sites were showing this part# as a 100mm fork and some show it as 120mm). Universal is one site that listed that fork on their website as the 120mm version. I conveyed to the Universal Rep the inconsistencies in info. He put me on hold and called RS directly and they did confirm that that sku is the 100mm version. They are updating the info on their website to reflect that it is a 100mm fork
    I guess it's back to the drawing board for me

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast