mtbr member

ripley compatible with an angleset? hans?

Been on my ripley for about a month or so now I have it set up with a 140mm x-fusion trace fork which is pretty awesome.. but have been toying with the idea of an angleset.. Would like to maybe play around with a slacker HA.. or am I pushing the bike to it's limits? I have ridden alot of the same all mountain type of trails with my HD, an now with the ripley.. an on everything, I'm just blowing all my old times on my HD out of the water with the ripley.. Has anyone tried it? or does ibis not recommend it? as I see a few people running the 150mm pikes..
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    If you're smoking all of your old times then why mess with sucess?

mtbr member
    eh, was just looking at something a little slacker for those really steep trails I find myself on every once in a while
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It will fit and you can compare it.

It will likely be better on the very steep downs, I don't know if you will like it the rest of the time, that depends on a lot of things, riding style, position on the bike, what you're used to etc.

H

aka dan51
    Manchvegas, did you ever get an angleset for your Ripley? I'm considering one for mine and am looking for feedback.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    No i didnt. Ive kindof embraced the ripley as my great all around bike mostly xc oriented etc.. as i love how fast it is.. but when i wanna ride steep lines and huck myself off stuff i just grab my carbine i built up. I think the ripley has pretty perfect trail geo as is. I think the thing that scares me most when.i do try steep stuff with it is the lack of braking power because of the tiny tires ya have to run so you dont buzz the seat tube

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

aka dan51
    That was my original thinking; but the more I ride it, the more places I want to ride it. I'm either walking or scared shitless on stuff I don't think twice on when riding the HD. Aside from those few moments, the bike is fantastic.

To go CC angleset requires an EC upper headset, which would raise my bar height. I tried running the bike at 140, but the bar height was higher than my liking, even with the stem inverted and no spacers below it. Hence the desire for an angleset.

mtbr member
    I run a 70mm ibis stem wih i think 7 degree rise inverted with bontrager rythym carbon bars which have maybe a 10mm rise with a 140mm x fusion trace and i like it alot.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    That was my original thinking; but the more I ride it, the more places I want to ride it. I'm either walking or scared shitless on stuff I don't think twice on when riding the HD. Aside from those few moments, the bike is fantastic.

To go CC angleset requires an EC upper headset, which would raise my bar height. I tried running the bike at 140, but the bar height was higher than my liking, even with the stem inverted and no spacers below it. Hence the desire for an angleset.
    somethings gotta give. Your bike felt really xc (my hardtail "felt" slacker). Is the a2c on that xfusion fork super short or something? I've been on a dozen ripleys and yours just felt...off. No offense or anything, just definitely felt over-the-bars-ish, even just around a parking lot.

Toss a pike on there!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    A-C on Trance is shorter than the 34 Fox, but not as short as a 32 Fox if the numbers on the spec sheets are accurate.

Lightly salted
    If your thinking of an angelset go with Works components. Compared to the cane reek angel sets I've tried it's been less trouble. No clicking or popping sounds.
    I have a -1 works on my hdr which is the same one needed for the ripley. It does have an external upper cup which is pretty tall.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    If your thinking of an angelset go with Works components. Compared to the cane reek angel sets I've tried it's been less trouble. No clicking or popping sounds.
    I have a -1 works on my hdr which is the same one needed for the ripley. It does have an external upper cup which is pretty tall.
    Thanks, that 15mm tall stack height is about 10mm more than I'd want to go.
    I suppose if I get desperate I can swap out the fork to a 1 1/8 and be able to use the ZS headsets.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I put on a -1 Angleset and 140 pike 51 offset front . Handling still fast , bike feel still nimble and fast on singletrack . But I highly recommend flat bar to lower down the cock pit for steep climbing . Totally rewarded on technical fast descent .no regret on this setting . This bike definitely born for tight flowy singletrack . Even faster and smoother than my previous HDR 650b.