Thread: Ripley Color?

mtbr member
    May 2005

Ripley Color?

I hesitate between black and blue.
    The quality of the blue paint is good? SCRATCHED easily?
    Any experence? Advice...
    I always buy black mountain bike frame

mtbr member
    I have the blue and haven't seen the black in person. Is it painted or just nude carbon? I absolutely love the blue color (riders are constantly complimenting it), but the paint is fragile - any rock strike chips the paint revealing the white undercoat. I did find an enamel paint that is sort of close in color to touch up the nicks and I'm ok with that.

mtbr member
    I've seen both and own the blue. Part of this is that I have a matte black BronsonC and wanted something different in my other bike.

I love the color, and I encourage you to see it in person; it can look kind of pale in pics but is not in person. I do find the paint pretty fragile, cable rub is enough to quickly expose undercoat. Not sure if this is the case with the black too. I've put a fair bit of clear helicopter tape in high-wear areas and all seems to be holding up well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The blue looks awesome in person. The actual color is "grabber blue", it's the same color as the new Ford Mustang. You can find touch up paint on eBay for pretty cheap. Thorin_2 is right, the paint seems to chip easily, I haven't tried the touch up paint yet but I plan on buying some.

More Torque
    I'm not personally a fan of blue bikes in general, but I will say that the blue Ripley looks much better in person than it does online and in the photos. For some reason, the blue just has more of an upscale look than the Ibis nude carbon color. The nude finish in the Ibis is not as nice as those on the Santa Cruz bikes, and almost looks a tad cheap. Hard to put a finger on why, but it just does not look as well finished. The painted Ibis bikes always look very well done. The darker blue on the HDR also looks nice as well. Like you, I tend toward the more subdued tones (gloss carbon Mojo, matte carbon Highball).

Good luck.

-D

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I would have liked a Ripley in the HDR Cobra blue. I think that colour looks stunning.

I have a blue Ripley, and I agree, it looks way better in person than in media.

mtbr member

Gabber Blue

BTW, the gabber blue isn't nearly as close in color as I'd like. I've been experimenting with blue blends and am getting closer but still don't a blend that I feel is close enough. A pic of my efforts next.

Ripley Color?-paint.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    There's some helpful info in this thread: Ibis Color Codes

Quick summary of color codes

Ripley
    Blue: 801c
    Green/Black: 7481c

mtbr member
    The 801c pantone wasn't helpful at all (at least to me). I couldn't find an enamel that matched it and I contacted various hobby paint vendors. I wonder if Home Depot or Lowes can whip up a batch of enamel based on pantone colors.