mtbr member

Ripley chainguide options

Curious to what people are running. Had a dropped chain with narrow wide chainring and clutched xtr der. Today during an enduro race and it kinda ticked me off. I run a crank mounted bash for our rocky new england.trails and it definitely gets used quite often. Is there anything out there? This no tab thing and pressfit thing blows for trying to race and not drop chains!
    Full time rider part time racer...

See my adventures here..

https://www.instagram.com/projectnortheast/

mtbr member
    Beuller?? no one races enduro or anything with their ripley? And drops a chain through rough burly terrain? seriously?

See my adventures here..

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    I've never dropped a chain running SRAM X01 without a chainguide, but it's on an HDR. I'm not an enduro racer, but have taken the HDR on some serious chunder (Rough Go and Cobblestone trails at Annadel State Park in California) at speed.

mtbr member
    MRP 1x direct mount is one of the options.

MRP 1x chain guide (direct mount version) review - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    I am running xtr rear der. Shadow plus with race face narrow wide on xtr cranks.. 1x10. It is probably only the 3rd time its dropped but it was mid race after a gnarly rock garden at the mountain creek enduro in jersey. Had to run 1/3 of the final stage chainless and stop mid stage to put my chain back on.. was pretty pissed as you can imagine.
    I ordered one of those MRP 1x guides last night and will run that for the next race i guess. Problem I have with running that on trails is I run a bash and it gets used ... Ill prolly just swap it on an of for racing I guess

See my adventures here..

mtbr member
    Curious if the removable tabs on the HDR would fit the ripley? Its prolly a longshot but just curious... Hans?

See my adventures here..

mtbr member

Ripley chainguide options

The HDR has a threaded BB with a small metal collar that the iscg tabs fit onto. I'm almost 100% sure it wouldn't fit on a ripley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    If the Riley has a standard BB you can jusy get a BB to ISOG converter then mount a chain guide to the adapter.

You should seriosly consider checking your chain length. It may have 1-2 links too many or too few.

mtbr member
    Ya no.. PF92 BB so that wont work. I so wish it had a normal threaded BB.. its pretty lame and im done complaining about it im just trying to figure something that works for racing cuz the clutch der and narrow wide just arent up to racing. Trail riding its fine ive never really had more than 1 dropped chain ever riding trails.. but bike park rock gardens at enduro race pace is a different story. I was hoping someone somewhere had come out with a PF92 to BSA adapter but all i find is a pf30 to bsa.. guess theres not enough calk for a pf92 as most companies supply iscg mounts...

And yes.. chain is at optimum length with everything under 500 miles old

See my adventures here..

mtbr member
    Have you adjusted the tension on the clutch its tuneable.

Sometimes they also need to be relubricated to work right and chain drops are the common symptom.

Maybe you have a long but need a medium cage RD?

I know several racers using this setup who never drop a chain, but they are not on a Ripley.
    I thought maybe a drive train adjustment may be needed.

mtbr member
    Take a photo of the drive train for us to see the RD position and chain ength.

mtbr member
    I don't believe there is a way to run a BB shell mounted guide of any type off of a BB92. A guide set up to your Direct Mount FD will proabably be the best option, or some type of chain stay mounted device like the unit that comes stock on some Specialized Stumpjumpers and Enduro.

Does chain fall to the inside or to the outside?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    its pretty lame and im done complaining about it im just trying to figure something that works for racing cuz the clutch der and narrow wide just arent up to racing. Trail riding its fine ive never really had more than 1 dropped chain ever riding trails.. but bike park rock gardens at enduro race pace is a different story.
    Yes, and I think this is also a case where equipment is being used outside of their intended purpose.
    The XTR clutch-type rear derailleur was designed to minimize chain slap on 2 or 3-chainring setups, not to hold sufficient tension to prevent chain drops on 1x setups without a chainguide. That use case is what Sram's 1x11 (XX1, etc.) was designed for. The XX1-type rear derailleur tensions the chain far more than XTR. Many Enduro pros run this set up with zero chain drops.

mtbr member
    The 1x10 Zee RD would be a lot better than an 2x10 XTR RD for your NW 1x10 setup.

You should be able to tighten the clutch adjustment too, the clutch also needs relubrication or they stop working.
    Last edited by Trail_Blazer; 09-17-2014 at 08:15 PM.

mtbr member
    I have not adjusted the clutch in quite a while I will try that along with the upper guide. I was also thinking about running that chainstay mounted bionicon thing too for racing. Like I said I never had a problem. I also know XX1 isn't in my budget so I'm trying to work with what I've got... but everyone I know is running a similar set up to me

See my adventures here..

A Baker St. Muse
    Friend of mine just bought one of these for his old StumpJumper: c-guide.org

Looks like it'd fit the Ripley fine too. I haven't tried it myself yet, but it'd be my first choice if I decide I need to go that route.

mtbr member
    manchvegas
    Why won't some of the units used on a Mojo work on a Ripley?

For example: Would these work, it says IBIS BB type:
    MRP Lopes SL Med Angle chainguide, (Ibis/BB) 32-38t - blk, Chain Guides and Tensioners

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by ducrider View Post
    Many Enduro pros run this set up with zero chain drops.
    This is not actually correct, my booth at the BME races was constantly busy this year with people having the exactly same problem as the OP - including many with XX/XO1.

Have a look at how the elite EWS riders all use chainguides in this article from Pinkbike.

A dropped chain potentially cost Martin Maes the win in Whistler....

With our simple 1x guides weighing as little as 50g, it makes zero sense to me not to use one for enduro racing - whether that be our own or a similar product from our competitors.

As for PF-style BBs with no provision to mount both a guide and some kind of chainring protection, I agree that is unfortunate.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - Brand Manager
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail_Blazer View Post
    manchvegas
    Why won't some of the units used on a Mojo work on a Ripley?
    Our Ibis guides require a threaded BB, which the Ripley lacks.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - Brand Manager

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    This is not actually correct, my booth at the BME races was constantly busy this year with people having the exactly same problem as the OP - including many with XX/XO1.

Have a look at how the elite EWS riders all use chainguides in this article from Pinkbike.

A dropped chain potentially cost Martin Maes the win in Whistler....

With our simple 1x guides weighing as little as 50g, it makes zero sense to me not to use one for enduro racing - whether that be our own or a similar product from our competitors.

As for PF-style BBs with no provision to mount both a guide and some kind of chainring protection, I agree that is unfortunate.
    Exactly! all the reviews online of all the narrow wide stuff with clutch der.'s is nothing but good, cuz the reviews come from people that are just riding their bike on trails etc.. if you are trying to be competitive in a race situation such as at these enduro events (mine was at Mountain creek) you are going as hard as you possibly can pedaling through stuff that you would normally never pedal through and the chain is all over the place even with the correct chain length, clutch adjustment etc.. I have since bought the MRP 1x direct mount guide and a bionicon c-guide just to be safe. Plan is to run both on race day.. Only thing I'm bummed about is the lack of a chainguide option available to the market that focuses on the few bikes with these stupid pressfit BB's and no Tabs to be able to run atleast a ring mounted bash. Anything out there Noah? As it seems any of the 1x top guides you can't run a crankmounted bash, so I will be going into a race next weekend without a bash, which kindof concerns me...

See my adventures here..

mtbr member
    Did Ibis really intend for the Ripley to be an Enduro race bike?

Anyhow, the TRS+ (Trail Security) Guide will be available in December and will have one specifically for the ripley. 2015 TRS+ ST Chainguide | the hive

mtbr member

Re: Ripley chainguide options

Well yet another chainguide fail.. purchased an MRP 1x guide high direct mount to mount to the front der. Position and it doesnt fit because of the head of the pivot bolt sticks way too far out and pushes the guide too far into the chain.. plus the guide is right against the bolt. You have to give the mrp 1x a little pull just to slide the guide arm adjustment bolt down .. this press fit no tab garbage is really starting to tick me off now..

See my adventures here..

mtbr member
    Maybe Grind that bolt head down or replace it.

screamer
    Soooo close! Something like the Mojo SL/MRP pivot shaft might allow threading the guide right into the frame. I know there's a lot going on with the eccentrics right around there, but still....

And maybe the E13 version has a bit more clearance on the back side? (Sorry, Noah!)

Ripley chainguide options-xcxp_guide-dm_detail_1.jpg
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

MattyK
    Apr 2009
    My Raceface narrow wide dropped out of my XT 1x10 setup all the time on 40mph+ loose over hard pack descents. I switched to a Wolf Tooth narrow/wide and it hasn't dropped since.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    Well yet another chainguide fail..
    Oh man! That stinks, sorry about that! Was unaware of the issue, thanks for posting pics.

Are you able to find another bolt head for that pivot?
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - Brand Manager

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Bumping this thread to see if people have had any luck finding a direct mount chain guide for their Ripley.

I recently converted my Ripley to a 1x11 (with an oval chainring) and would like a lightweight direct mount chain guide that will clear the lower eccentric. I checked with e*thirteen and MRP but neither could confirm that it would clear the eccentric and both expressed concerns with their chain guide working with oval rings. MRP specifically recommended the 1x v2 for ovals, but from the earlier posts in this thread above, I don't think it will clear the eccentric. There seem to be interesting options outside of the US (e.g. cSixx Products - The XC Chainguide and 77designz.com - freesolo | HDM) but I'm wary of ordering something that won't fit the bike and not being able to return it without paying an arm and leg for shipping.

Despite MRP's guidance for oval chainrings, their 1x v3 chain guide (1x ? MRP) still seems like an ideal candidate - has anyone tried this on their Ripley and can confirm whether it clears the eccentric?

mtbr member
    I'm not sure about the claim that it will double chainring life but it looks like it will work with both the Ripley and oval chainrings. OneUp Components US - CHAINGUIDE - ISCG05

oops, never mind. ISCG so that won't work. I'm interested in any reports on the e.13 and oval chainrings and/or if will clear the eccentrics. 2015 TRS+ ST Chainguide | the hive

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I'm not sure about the claim that it will double chainring life but it looks like it will work with both the Ripley and oval chainrings. OneUp Components US - CHAINGUIDE - ISCG05
    Perhaps apart from the the non-excistent ISCG05-tabs on the Ripley?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by simenf View Post
    Perhaps apart from the the non-excistent ISCG05-tabs on the Ripley?
    Right. Working on that 2nd cup of coffee.

mtbr member
    No worries, I'd like to see it fit the Ripley too :-)

mtbr member
    No worries, I'd like to see it fit the Ripley too :-)
    Of interest to me (Ripley aside) is the claim that by minimizing side-to-side chain play it doubles the ring life. I'm getting ~500 miles out of an e.13 w-n chainring.

Also, of interest are the newer oval rings. Biopace seemed kinda silly in 1989 but for 1x it makes sense.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Never dropped a chain but I run the Bionicon for silent running. Added security to Not drop a chain.

mtbr member
    Anyone tried the MRP 1x v3 on the Ripley?

1x V3 — MRP

I'm even considering splashing out on the carbon version...

screamer
    I haven't tried the MRP, but I just got one of the Wolf Tooth GnarWolfs and unfortunately it's a no-go. The plate of the DM arm hits the protruding pivot bolt and shifts the whole guide outboard, making it impossible to center on the chainline. The MRP looks as if it might allow rotation so theoretically you might be able to miss that bolt.
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    Anyone tried the MRP 1x v3 on the Ripley?

1x V3 — MRP

I'm even considering splashing out on the carbon version...
    I have the bb mounted MRP on my V2 Ripley. Opted not to go with the D-Mount because it moves with the rear triangle which potentially creates a gap that the chain can jump out through.

I did, however, following someone else's lead on this forum, swap the upper guide to the HD over the TR. I wanted to run an oval chainring and the bigger guide still surrounds the chain when the ring is at its lowest point.