mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Ripley Cable Dice - Review :)

Ok, so I received my Ripley Cable Dice in the mail today (along with the Gnarcore). I decided this evening to fit the cable dice, but I'll leave the Gnarcore until I feel like disassembling the swing arm (so about three months... LOL). Anyway, I went to fit the cable dice. It is a well machined piece of CNC goodness. Rounded edges (generated by a form tool... I can tell these things because I am a CNC programmer ). I went to fit it, and struck the first problem. If I followed the cable location directions, with the Forward marking pointing forward, the front and rear derailleur cables were on the wrong sides. The shop I bought my Ripley from has the cables crossed. So I fitted the cables with a them crossing just in front of the dice. The other problem I encountered was the the rear brake line, if fitted to the correct position, forced the line closer to the seat tube, and with the rear suspension cycling it would rub on the seat tube. To fix this, I just ran the brake line through the dropper location on the dice. No biggy, as I don't run a dropper. If I did, I would run the dropper line through the intended brake line location on the dice I mounted the cable dice back slightly from the location directly above the largest diameter of the shock, so it wasn't touching the shock at all. I then took the bike for a ride up the street, and everything seemed to be fine. It certainly looks a lot tidier in eliminating the zip ties, and has a little bit of coolness to it, especially with the little Ibis logo on it (too bad that isn't seen at all ). I'll be riding out in the dirt in the next few days, and I don't expect any issues. I didn't take any photos, because I was keen to fill the Ibis pint glass with my favourite lager, and consume If you don't want ugly zip ties above your rear shock, I suggest picking up one of this little gadgets. If you dont want If

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    i think these work fine:

Reverb Cable/Hose Line Guide--Black (2 qty) | SRAM

strap one around the shock

also, it makes a lot more sense to run the "fixed" cables (i.e., front derailleur and dropper post) internally

the run the rear derailleur and rear brake with the outer guides

mtbr member
    I've put about 40 miles on my Ripley with the dice installed. It does seem to work well. I installed the dice quite close the the cable exit point in the frame, and found that the dice seems to "migrate" to a point about an inch away from the exit point. It works well to keep the cables stationary. I've had a bit of trouble getting the rear brake and deraileur lines to bow outward or upward when the shock is compressed; they seem to want to each bow inward, which leads to rub on the seat post. Installed a piece of heli tape on each side and put a single zip tie around these two and they seem to now behave.

All in all it works well. I do find that making sure all zip ties connecting cables to frame are nice and snug helps keep everything stationary and quite.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    I've put about 40 miles on my Ripley with the dice installed. It does seem to work well. I installed the dice quite close the the cable exit point in the frame, and found that the dice seems to "migrate" to a point about an inch away from the exit point. It works well to keep the cables stationary. I've had a bit of trouble getting the rear brake and deraileur lines to bow outward or upward when the shock is compressed; they seem to want to each bow inward, which leads to rub on the seat post. Installed a piece of heli tape on each side and put a single zip tie around these two and they seem to now behave.

All in all it works well. I do find that making sure all zip ties connecting cables to frame are nice and snug helps keep everything stationary and quite.
    Yes, I put a piece of shelter tape on the seat tube at the potential contact point of the brake line to avoid any wear on the frame

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Are you supposed to cross the front and rear derailleur cables before the die?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tonka214 View Post
    Are you supposed to cross the front and rear derailleur cables before the die?
    Not as far as I know. I had to, because of the way my cables were routed. It seems to work ok for me