Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Ripley - believe it or not, it's here!

And it looks like it will be worth the wait!

Ripley Preview

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Toptube is still too short, imo the headangle is too steep even with a 140mm fork and the chainstays are too long too compared to the new enduro 29er. I wasn't really that excited by the Ripley but it does leave me worried about the direction Ibis are heading, my HD140 is a very good bike, but if the niggles were ironed out it would be by far and away the best trail bike out there by a big distance. As it is though unless they make the toptubes abit longer on all sizes I might be going elsewhere.

The Black/Green colour does look insanely good though!

Off the back...
    Very cool with the links buried in the frame like that. Love the black and green paint job! 68.5 is likely going to ride quite well, and can be slacked out if so desired.

mtbr member
    To each his own, but I disagree wholeheartedly. Long TT's are trendy again, but I prefer Ibis' fit just like it is, and the lively ride character resulting from moderate TT and wheelbase lengths. With an angleset and a 140 fork you can get to what, 67 deg? For a 29er trail bike that's anything but steep. There are plenty of land barges out there for folks who like them. I can see why the truly big guys out there wish for an XXL size, but please, Ibis, don't change the size L!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    2 Ibis carbon bar options at 740mm - flat and riser...wonder when/if we will see those in build kits for the other bikes?

mtbr member
    Other observations:
    The rear triangle looks like it should be stiff as hell... fully triangulated on both sides.

What's up with the deep socket lower pivot/drive side bolt head? Maybe for taking a pivot-mounted chainguide like the HD?

The low head badge placement allows for the clean internal routing.... gives a sort of "funny face" look to the headtube...see it?...two eyes and a gold Ibis snout.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    To each his own, but I disagree wholeheartedly. Long TT's are trendy again, but I prefer Ibis' fit just like it is, and the lively ride character resulting from moderate TT and wheelbase lengths. With an angleset and a 140 fork you can get to what, 67 deg? For a 29er trail bike that's anything but steep. There are plenty of land barges out there for folks who like them. I can see why the truly big guys out there wish for an XXL size, but please, Ibis, don't change the size L!
    Lol land barges. Exactly what the enduro reminds me of

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The headangle is solvable with an angleset, but why do they insist on putting a 23" tt on a 17"? Maybe it's just me but I rode a Yeti Sb66 and it felt comfier than my HD and I put that down to the extra inch in the toptube. people have been running larger sizes for longer toptubes for ages its about time manufacturers took note, it seems to be what pretty much everyone is asking for these days.

I love ibis and the bikes are stunning, but I just wish they'd take a more aggresive direction with their geometry as standard. A 17" with the tt of the 19" would be spot on!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lawman1991 View Post
    The headangle is solvable with an angleset, but why do they insist on putting a 23" tt on a 17"? Maybe it's just me but I rode a Yeti Sb66 and it felt comfier than my HD and I put that down to the extra inch in the toptube. people have been running larger sizes for longer toptubes for ages its about time manufacturers took note, it seems to be what pretty much everyone is asking for these days.

I love ibis and the bikes are stunning, but I just wish they'd take a more aggresive direction with their geometry as standard. A 17" with the tt of the 19" would be spot on!
    The SB66 is a great bike for sure. It is also usually ordered one size smaller than other bikes because the top tube is so long. It also really needs to get up to speed for the suspension to work well.

The HD was designed by a four cross champion, so precision is the name of the game. A shorter top tube is one of the best ways to accomplish this.

mtbr member
    Personally I prefer a shorter TT, so to each their own. Don't like my mtn bike to feel like a road bike.

mtbr member
    Did I miss it or did they mention anything about when these are available? With track record of late that was my biggest question. I also like the geometry just fine.

It's the axle
    First ones are going out today. I saw that somewhere on the site.

Same bb height as the other mojos.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saidrick View Post
    The HD was designed by a four cross champion, so precision is the name of the game. A shorter top tube is one of the best ways to accomplish this.
    But Lopes rides a large if I am not mistaken. At his hight, it appears he likes the longer TT of the large frame.

It's the axle
    I didn't know they replaced the bushings with a cartridge bearing design. I think that's a good thing.

Lots of engineering. Great stuff.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

Lightly salted
    +1 for short top tubes. That was one of the things that got me interested in Ibis to begin with.

bike addict
    Jan 2004
    Too steep, too little travel, too long in chainstay. Anyone check the bb height? Sub 13 is pretty darn low.

How is the Enduro 29 a land barge to you Ibis fanbois? I love me some mojo hd, still a market leader despite very little improvements since 2010. This is a step in the "meh" direction. Plenty of good 100-120mm 29r out there. Would have been nice to see a 140-150mm travel lightweight, slack, "Tallboy LTC or Enduro Fighter" from Ibis.

bike addict
    Jan 2004
    And where is that 27.5 geo specific mojo peeps were speculating on?

I am hitting the snooze button in their countdown alarm and going back to sleep....zzzzzz

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post
    But Lopes rides a large if I am not mistaken. At his hight, it appears he likes the longer TT of the large frame.
    Brian is 5'9". That's about right for a large. I am 5'11" , if I was any bigger I would go the Xl size. My buddy is 6'2", and he rides an XL turner. So the Ibis sizing is fairly standard.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
    And where is that 27.5 geo specific mojo peeps were speculating on?

I am hitting the snooze button in their countdown alarm and going back to sleep....zzzzzz
    Sea Otter hasn't happened yet. I would think that would be the place for a big announcement.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Brian is 5'9". That's about right for a large. I am 5'11" , if I was any bigger I would go the Xl size. My buddy is 6'2", and he rides an XL turner. So the Ibis sizing is fairly standard.
    Yup...just slightly taller than you and put in my order on the XL. I need a minimum of a 24" TT. Now the waiting game and keeping fingers crossed that I get one of the first runs. Will be interesting to see how quickly they blow through the first run. My guess is they won't last long.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Sizing is not standard. It is roughly 1/2 inch shorter than standard (half a size). Oh I am sure it works for 50% of people, who would be between sizes on other manufacturers bikes. But lets not forget this bike has big wheels and automatically appeals to people 6'0" or over. I am 6'2" and would be running a 90 mm stem on the XL, which I consider unrideable combined with the geometry of the front end. Maybe on an XC racer with a 100 mm fork and 71 degree head angle you could get away with a 90 mm stem but even then, 80 would be better.

So, I was anxious to see what this Ibis would offer. I guess for me, its nothing once again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    If 5'9" is right for a Large, and there is no XXL, then the sizing is effed up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    So far in this thread alone the data points to people who are 5'9" riding a large and people who are 5'11"-6'0" riding an XL. That seems out of whack with reality. Average American height for a male is a little over 5'10". Last I checked 80% or so of MTB riders are men, and "medium" is synonymous with "average".

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Just ordered mine in Blue with my LBS. Ibis said Larges are 2-3 weeks out, small and medium are beginning of summer, and then x-large are after that....but I think Hans can give us a better idea here.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    @Hanssc

When will it be available? And is there also enough room for big rear tires?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast