Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member

Ripley - believe it or not, it's here!

And it looks like it will be worth the wait!

Ripley Preview

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Toptube is still too short, imo the headangle is too steep even with a 140mm fork and the chainstays are too long too compared to the new enduro 29er. I wasn't really that excited by the Ripley but it does leave me worried about the direction Ibis are heading, my HD140 is a very good bike, but if the niggles were ironed out it would be by far and away the best trail bike out there by a big distance. As it is though unless they make the toptubes abit longer on all sizes I might be going elsewhere.

The Black/Green colour does look insanely good though!

Off the back...
    Very cool with the links buried in the frame like that. Love the black and green paint job! 68.5 is likely going to ride quite well, and can be slacked out if so desired.
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

mtbr member
    To each his own, but I disagree wholeheartedly. Long TT's are trendy again, but I prefer Ibis' fit just like it is, and the lively ride character resulting from moderate TT and wheelbase lengths. With an angleset and a 140 fork you can get to what, 67 deg? For a 29er trail bike that's anything but steep. There are plenty of land barges out there for folks who like them. I can see why the truly big guys out there wish for an XXL size, but please, Ibis, don't change the size L!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    2 Ibis carbon bar options at 740mm - flat and riser...wonder when/if we will see those in build kits for the other bikes?

mtbr member
    Other observations:
    The rear triangle looks like it should be stiff as hell... fully triangulated on both sides.

What's up with the deep socket lower pivot/drive side bolt head? Maybe for taking a pivot-mounted chainguide like the HD?

The low head badge placement allows for the clean internal routing.... gives a sort of "funny face" look to the headtube...see it?...two eyes and a gold Ibis snout.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    To each his own, but I disagree wholeheartedly. Long TT's are trendy again, but I prefer Ibis' fit just like it is, and the lively ride character resulting from moderate TT and wheelbase lengths. With an angleset and a 140 fork you can get to what, 67 deg? For a 29er trail bike that's anything but steep. There are plenty of land barges out there for folks who like them. I can see why the truly big guys out there wish for an XXL size, but please, Ibis, don't change the size L!
    Lol land barges. Exactly what the enduro reminds me of

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The headangle is solvable with an angleset, but why do they insist on putting a 23" tt on a 17"? Maybe it's just me but I rode a Yeti Sb66 and it felt comfier than my HD and I put that down to the extra inch in the toptube. people have been running larger sizes for longer toptubes for ages its about time manufacturers took note, it seems to be what pretty much everyone is asking for these days.

I love ibis and the bikes are stunning, but I just wish they'd take a more aggresive direction with their geometry as standard. A 17" with the tt of the 19" would be spot on!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lawman1991 View Post
    The headangle is solvable with an angleset, but why do they insist on putting a 23" tt on a 17"? Maybe it's just me but I rode a Yeti Sb66 and it felt comfier than my HD and I put that down to the extra inch in the toptube. people have been running larger sizes for longer toptubes for ages its about time manufacturers took note, it seems to be what pretty much everyone is asking for these days.

I love ibis and the bikes are stunning, but I just wish they'd take a more aggresive direction with their geometry as standard. A 17" with the tt of the 19" would be spot on!
    The SB66 is a great bike for sure. It is also usually ordered one size smaller than other bikes because the top tube is so long. It also really needs to get up to speed for the suspension to work well.

The HD was designed by a four cross champion, so precision is the name of the game. A shorter top tube is one of the best ways to accomplish this.

mtbr member
    Personally I prefer a shorter TT, so to each their own. Don't like my mtn bike to feel like a road bike.

mtbr member
    Did I miss it or did they mention anything about when these are available? With track record of late that was my biggest question. I also like the geometry just fine.

It's the axle
    First ones are going out today. I saw that somewhere on the site.

Same bb height as the other mojos.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saidrick View Post
    The HD was designed by a four cross champion, so precision is the name of the game. A shorter top tube is one of the best ways to accomplish this.
    But Lopes rides a large if I am not mistaken. At his hight, it appears he likes the longer TT of the large frame.

It's the axle
    I didn't know they replaced the bushings with a cartridge bearing design. I think that's a good thing.

Lots of engineering. Great stuff.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

Lightly salted
    +1 for short top tubes. That was one of the things that got me interested in Ibis to begin with.

bike addict
    Jan 2004
    Too steep, too little travel, too long in chainstay. Anyone check the bb height? Sub 13 is pretty darn low.

How is the Enduro 29 a land barge to you Ibis fanbois? I love me some mojo hd, still a market leader despite very little improvements since 2010. This is a step in the "meh" direction. Plenty of good 100-120mm 29r out there. Would have been nice to see a 140-150mm travel lightweight, slack, "Tallboy LTC or Enduro Fighter" from Ibis.

bike addict
    Jan 2004
    And where is that 27.5 geo specific mojo peeps were speculating on?

I am hitting the snooze button in their countdown alarm and going back to sleep....zzzzzz

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post
    But Lopes rides a large if I am not mistaken. At his hight, it appears he likes the longer TT of the large frame.
    Brian is 5'9". That's about right for a large. I am 5'11" , if I was any bigger I would go the Xl size. My buddy is 6'2", and he rides an XL turner. So the Ibis sizing is fairly standard.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
    And where is that 27.5 geo specific mojo peeps were speculating on?

I am hitting the snooze button in their countdown alarm and going back to sleep....zzzzzz
    Sea Otter hasn't happened yet. I would think that would be the place for a big announcement.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Brian is 5'9". That's about right for a large. I am 5'11" , if I was any bigger I would go the Xl size. My buddy is 6'2", and he rides an XL turner. So the Ibis sizing is fairly standard.
    Yup...just slightly taller than you and put in my order on the XL. I need a minimum of a 24" TT. Now the waiting game and keeping fingers crossed that I get one of the first runs. Will be interesting to see how quickly they blow through the first run. My guess is they won't last long.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Sizing is not standard. It is roughly 1/2 inch shorter than standard (half a size). Oh I am sure it works for 50% of people, who would be between sizes on other manufacturers bikes. But lets not forget this bike has big wheels and automatically appeals to people 6'0" or over. I am 6'2" and would be running a 90 mm stem on the XL, which I consider unrideable combined with the geometry of the front end. Maybe on an XC racer with a 100 mm fork and 71 degree head angle you could get away with a 90 mm stem but even then, 80 would be better.

So, I was anxious to see what this Ibis would offer. I guess for me, its nothing once again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    If 5'9" is right for a Large, and there is no XXL, then the sizing is effed up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    So far in this thread alone the data points to people who are 5'9" riding a large and people who are 5'11"-6'0" riding an XL. That seems out of whack with reality. Average American height for a male is a little over 5'10". Last I checked 80% or so of MTB riders are men, and "medium" is synonymous with "average".

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Just ordered mine in Blue with my LBS. Ibis said Larges are 2-3 weeks out, small and medium are beginning of summer, and then x-large are after that....but I think Hans can give us a better idea here.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    @Hanssc

When will it be available? And is there also enough room for big rear tires?

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgong View Post
    Just ordered mine in Blue with my LBS. Ibis said Larges are 2-3 weeks out, small and medium are beginning of summer, and then x-large are after that....but I think Hans can give us a better idea here.
    Yeah, the limited info I'm getting from my dealer is that there are only Larges in short term, but XL's after the beginning of Summer?? I thought the point of waiting to release all this info, etc was to have all the sizes ready to ship as well. I'm beyond disappointed if this info is true

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutantclover View Post
    Sizing is not standard. It is roughly 1/2 inch shorter than standard (half a size). Oh I am sure it works for 50% of people, who would be between sizes on other manufacturers bikes. But lets not forget this bike has big wheels and automatically appeals to people 6'0" or over. I am 6'2" and would be running a 90 mm stem on the XL, which I consider unrideable combined with the geometry of the front end. Maybe on an XC racer with a 100 mm fork and 71 degree head angle you could get away with a 90 mm stem but even then, 80 would be better.

So, I was anxious to see what this Ibis would offer. I guess for me, its nothing once again.
    I would think you are a good candidate for the Yeti SB 95 carbon .

To be fair Ibis offers this in a small, Specialized carbon enduro 29er is not offered in a small.

And I just calculated my size (5'11") at ebicycle's size calculator: size large (19").
    So it would seem the size is fairly standard. You can argue that the industry needs to update its size charts, but that is what they currently are.

mtbr member
    Well, I used the term Land Barge, and I am a self confessed Ibis "fanbois" (That means to love all things Ibis, and raspberries, right?), but I didn't call the new Enduro 29 a barge.... in fact, I think that's the most interesting thing Specialized has done in a long time and I'd love to try and get in over my head on one.

I Got yer Activity Stream
    I'm not sure why the Ripley is being compared to the Enduro.

An XL Ripley with the 140 fork, TT = 24.8, HTA = 68.5, BB = 13.25. That looks fine, but the reach is 16.3...pretty short. The standover is low, so shorter riders should be able to upsize if they want a longer TT / reach (when all sizes are available).

I'm interested in hearing about how the rear suspension performs when they hit the trails.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Just confirmed with Aaron @ Ibis directly on the phone. Any of us XL'ers are bummin'...it's the last size in the queue so early Summer....late May very best case before we can expect delivery.

I'm pretty disappointed that there aren't full runs in all sizes. I thought the point in being so tight lipped, etc was to have everything ready to go once the official announcement was made. I'm still in for the long haul no matter how long it takes to get but I'd be full of sh** if I didn't say I'm not majorly bummed
    Last edited by MSH; 03-18-2013 at 02:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm sorry but saying some who's 5ft9 should be on a large is insane!! They should be on a medium and if anyone even slightly over 6ft needs an xl then the sizing is wayyy off. I ride a medium and its a good half inch too short for me personally. The toptubes need lengthening so as I said earlier the 17" needs the 19"'s toptube, 19" needs 21"'s etc etc

I do love my HD its by far and away the best bike I've owned and I've managed to get around the sizing with saddle setback and stem choice, but unless they make a change in this area I'm out, which is a crying shame because Ibis is a bloody brilliant company and I could spend days looking at my HD as its an awesome looking rig.

Also no ISCG tabs on the ripley either... big mistake.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    So i am in the market for a new bike. I'm just shy of 5'11". I'm gonna demo several bikes but I own an Mojo SL size Large right now. I understanding not having a XXL for the tall folks. But what bikes have the longer top tubes everyone is talking about. I've looked at SC, Yeti, Specialized Enduro, RM, Pivot. They are all in the low 24". Only the SB-66 has a 25". And the new RM Altitude is 23"(which i think looks sweet). I plan on demoing SB66, RM, SC TBLt, Pivot. So, one, what does everyone like about the longer top tube? But to me it seems like there arent longer top tubes out there really. Or are we just saying people wish there was a XXL? Which seems to make perfect sense.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    I'm not sure why the Ripley is being compared to the Enduro.
    Yeah, tell me about it.... different bikes for a different range of uses, with some overlap in the aggressive trail, light AM arena. I suspect that the Ripley will have much more range, covering everything from full on XC racer to All Mountain 29er like a champ

mtbr member
    After 6 years, you couldn't wait 2 more weeks to release this news on April fools day?

Mtb Guide
    For everyone that complains about the top tube length theyre will be counter for staying as is.

Top tube length on its own does not make a better bike, wheelbase chainstay length all get affected, you may not like the bike if an inch was added purely to the TT other changes would affect the HD as we know it now.

Ive long been inbetween sizes at 5"11 always liked longer wheelbases and tts with short stems wide bars, my EVO I thought would be perfect but it worked against me I just could not get dialled on it size wise for corners at high speed, sometimes it was good other times I was off line for no reason. It was a large btw.

Large HD no issue, still have plenty of room with a 50mm stem but I rail corners and better than I ever did on my EVO, the EVO on paper should have been right up my alley, being a DH rider, riding a large V10c I also never had that problem, the EVO did everything else well, jumped climbed etc.

The Mojo in the same size for me slays it in every department, jumping might be about even but on landings and stability predicability the HD everytime, Id probably give the EVO the edge on confidence to hit a new gap first up, but thats probably due to the EVOs HA which is slacker in std setup by a degree, it makes a differrence.

For me anyways I would prefer to stick with current TT GEO I feel would suit more people accross the board, as for the Ripley I wouldn't know until I rode one, numbers just don't tell the story anymore things have moved on allot in the last few years.

For you 29er fanatics and number crunchers Id compare some similar brands, Turner is an interesting one as also DWL, the TTs are slightly longer on the Ripley compared to the Sultan.

Yet the "Reach" which is actually more important to the TT is slightly longer on the Turners in a few sizes.

The large is exactly the same, yet the "chain-stay length" is a massive difference, unfortunately Turner dont publish wheelbases, also very important in the overall scheme of things.

I think for those on the fence people need to test ride first before getting panties to wet on wrong sizing, Ibis have taken a long time on this great video too and I would suspect its good for first gen.

I feel for the 6"4" plus crowd as 29ers make more sense for the tallest people, maybe they could have gone an XXL and not made a small, smaller people to me just dont look right on 29ers and what benfits they gain I think they lose in learning good ride technique, but everyone to theyre own its your choice what you ride which is most important right.

I could def see a Ripley green/blk as a XC option along with my HD possibly.

Id actually like to see the 142x12 rear end and rear d hanger for it since its ceritfied XX1 compatible, see if any difference to the HDs for chain/seat stay clearance.

All in all looks to me its been worth the wait, if it rides as good as it looks, props to "Ibis team" well done guys girls!

screamer
    Um, I get why people might be bummed there's no XXL, but comparing the Ripley @140mm to, say, the Tallboy LTC, the TT numbers are within .1-.3", or 2.5-7.5mm. When stems come in 10mm increments, this difference is pretty inconsequential, dontchathink?

As for all you Sasquatches out there, serves you right for eating too much spinach! Freaks!
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ...I think alot of us were hoping the Ripley would be a good FS XC addition to our HD's. On paper it's looking to be more Trail. I need to ride one!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    And don't forget. There's 2 more bikes coming from Ibis!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick005 View Post
    For everyone that complains about the top tube length theyre will be counter for staying as is.

Top tube length on its own does not make a better bike, wheelbase chainstay length all get affected, you may not like the bike if an inch was added purely to the TT other changes would affect the HD as we know it now.

Ive long been inbetween sizes at 5"11 always liked longer wheelbases and tts with short stems wide bars, my EVO I thought would be perfect but it worked against me I just could not get dialled on it size wise for corners at high speed, sometimes it was good other times I was off line for no reason. It was a large btw.

Large HD no issue, still have plenty of room with a 50mm stem but I rail corners and better than I ever did on my EVO, the EVO on paper should have been right up my alley, being a DH rider, riding a large V10c I also never had that problem, the EVO did everything else well, jumped climbed etc.

The Mojo in the same size for me slays it in every department, jumping might be about even but on landings and stability predicability the HD everytime, Id probably give the EVO the edge on confidence to hit a new gap first up, but thats probably due to the EVOs HA which is slacker in std setup by a degree, it makes a differrence.

For me anyways I would prefer to stick with current TT GEO I feel would suit more people accross the board, as for the Ripley I wouldn't know until I rode one, numbers just don't tell the story anymore things have moved on allot in the last few years.

For you 29er fanatics and number crunchers Id compare some similar brands, Turner is an interesting one as also DWL, the TTs are slightly longer on the Ripley compared to the Sultan.

Yet the "Reach" which is actually more important to the TT is slightly longer on the Turners in a few sizes.

The large is exactly the same, yet the "chain-stay length" is a massive difference, unfortunately Turner dont publish wheelbases, also very important in the overall scheme of things.

I think for those on the fence people need to test ride first before getting panties to wet on wrong sizing, Ibis have taken a long time on this great video too and I would suspect its good for first gen.

I feel for the 6"4" plus crowd as 29ers make more sense for the tallest people, maybe they could have gone an XXL and not made a small, smaller people to me just dont look right on 29ers and what benfits they gain I think they lose in learning good ride technique, but everyone to theyre own its your choice what you ride which is most important right.

I could def see a Ripley green/blk as a XC option along with my HD possibly.

Id actually like to see the 142x12 rear end and rear d hanger for it since its ceritfied XX1 compatible, see if any difference to the HDs for chain/seat stay clearance.

All in all looks to me its been worth the wait, if it rides as good as it looks, props to "Ibis team" well done guys girls!
    The fact that a (really experienced) 5'9" guy prefers a large indicates that it's not a matter of just having a short top tube. 5'9 is where the recommend height for Pivot's medium frames starts (ETT 24.0" for a M 429c).

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by budgie View Post
    Um, I get why people might be bummed there's no XXL, but comparing the Ripley @140mm to, say, the Tallboy LTC, the TT numbers are within .1-.3", or 2.5-7.5mm. When stems come in 10mm increments, this difference is pretty inconsequential, dontchathink?

As for all you Sasquatches out there, serves you right for eating too much spinach! Freaks!
    Worth pointing out that people complain about the short top tubes on SC bikes, too.

mtbr member
    To each his own... I happen to like the top tube sizing on the new Ripley... and I agree w/ppl that the Black/Green colOR looks really cool !

mtbr member
    comment removed...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    ...I think alot of us were hoping the Ripley would be a good FS XC addition to our HD's. On paper it's looking to be more Trail. I need to ride one!!

Seems like it could really go either way depending on how you build it.

Put a 120 fork up front, some carbon hoops, light, fast tires, XC bars, longer stem, etc, and you'd have a pretty light XC machine.

Put a 140 up front, beefy tires, dropper post, wide bars, short stem, etc, and you'd have a pretty capable trail bike.

I'm sure we'll see builds in both flavors.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hackdan10 View Post
    And don't forget. There's 2 more bikes coming from Ibis!
    ... and you can believe it or not !!!

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    The fact that a (really experienced) 5'9" guy prefers a large indicates that it's not a matter of just having a short top tube. 5'9 is where the recommend height for Pivot's medium frames starts (ETT 24.0" for a M 429c).
    Well appreciate you comparing me to Brian Lopes, but not everyone can ride like him, also he developed the HD and helped on the Ripley, Im sure its to suit the market where they can sell the most frames. Trying to compare BL to most here is just not in this universe on anything, Anne Carro is 5'8" she is on a medium? Id bank on it most people who are 5'9" would struggle to get the potential on the hi end out of an HD or any large unless a pro, and there is more to it than height, as I said reach is the most important factor not TT or Eftt.

This is there first gen and its comparble to what others are doing size wise, and I said its a pity they dont do a larger size in XXL, that may have been a better strategy than doing a small, Im sure they have theyre reasons and are looking at all the e-feedback like this.

They are trying to solve alot of complicated issues while trying to meet the mass market like make a 29er with the roll over everyone carries on about yet maintain 26er like handling feel and yet still sell and make a profit if you miss out then there is plenty of choices around I guess, not everyone is going to be happy no matter what, thats life, custom would be nice but its just not feasible in carbon.

I think instead of bashing it up, lets wait more until people can give some rider feedback, it will be very interesting.

mtbr member
    I ride a large 2010.5 Pivot 429 for xc/trail (120mm fork), and plan to replace that bike towards the end of summer. Looks like the xl Ripley will be a good fit for me, can't wait to demo one. Enjoyed the web site "story" and the video re-capping the design decisions and process. The Ripley looks really good, and I expect it will ride even better...just like the HD!

It will be interesting to hear the ride impressions with the 120 and 140mm forks. Not sure which way I'd go yet.

I quit e-MTBR
    I don't like the paint design. The big Ibis name logos are ugly -- the understated branding of the HD is what sets it apart as such a great-looking bike, IMO. It's always been a cheesy font, making it a very prominent cheesy font is a mistake. And the color scheme is garish, looks like a Pivot.

To each their own, but I'll take the look of the HD or the SL-R over the Ripley any day.

Bite Me.
    4 years of development and the design is already dated. Too steep and too bad really. Seems like it was way over thought. The thrashing the early critics got on the original 71 degree HTA did nothing to endear me to the bike designers. So now the compromise is 70 degrees, when the trend for trail bike 29ers is more like 68...? Seems like the bike has been behind the curve geometry-wise since its inception. It's certainly no ground breaking design now, but the linkage looks interesting.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Brian just told me he's getting a medium Ripley. This was after running a large for quite a while... H

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hans I will take a medium too, thanks. You choose the color but I do like blue. I miss my SL so bad.
    Transition Scout Carbon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast