mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Ripley bearing upgrades? Any real life input?

Any input on this?

Effective last January, all Ripley frames are now shipped with a beefier lower eccentric core and new titanium bolt, which besides addressing the over-tightening issue, increases lateral stiffness by 10 percent claims Ibis. These updated parts can be retrofitted on older Ripley frames, and are available on the Ibis website for $35.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    bump

mtbr member
    I've had a GnarCore installed for a few weeks now. It works great, but I don't find any major difference from the original core. It's not a bearing upgrade, just a different eccentric core. I was replacing my swing arm when I installed it; I would recommend waiting until you're doing an overhaul to install the GnarCore, as it does require removing (at least) the cranks and rear swing arm, and is made much easier by removing chain, rear der., and rear brake caliper (so you can fully remove the swing arm).

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I just switched my core out and also bought new bearings. My bike is way more active now but that was because my bearings were completely shot. Probably hard to feel a 10% difference in stiffness in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by th.eddie View Post
    Any input on this?

Effective last January, all Ripley frames are now shipped with a beefier lower eccentric core and new titanium bolt, which besides addressing the over-tightening issue, increases lateral stiffness by 10 percent claims Ibis. These updated parts can be retrofitted on older Ripley frames, and are available on the Ibis website for $35.