mtbr member
    May 2011

Ripley with 70mm or less stem? Handling?

Anyone running their Ripley with a 70mm or less stem? Just wondering how it handles? Front end weighting, grip in corners?

mtbr member
    Ripley with 70mm or less stem? Handling?-ripley.jpg

I recently demoed a large Ripley with a 60mm stem (I'm 5'9" with a 31" inseam). The dealer suggested a medium with a longer stem but I like a longer reach with a shorter stem on my bikes. It felt very comfortable, stable, and responsive on both steep climbs and aggressive descents. If I had had the opportunity I would have tried a 50mm stem as well.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Great reply, thanks.

I'm having the same experience. My dealer likes me on the MD with a 90-100 stem. The bike felt comfortable, but I wasn't comfortable with that stem. Shorter stem on the Md was too short.

I'm thinking the Large with a 70mm stem will be a better fit. Unfortunately I can only ride in the parking lot as they don't want the bikes demo'd on the trails.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Segments of the bike industry are still not clued in on reach, and are still pushing the longer stem thing. Ibis doesn't even display the reach of its bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock View Post
    Segments of the bike industry are still not clued in on reach, and are still pushing the longer stem thing. Ibis doesn't even display the reach of its bikes.
    Yes, they do, at least on the new ones. Both the Ripley and HDR[650b] geometry pages have stack and reach noted. I think that they will probably go back and update other geometry pages too, if the bikes are going to be available in a year's time. That's pure speculation on my part.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Interesting note...I managed to ride, back to back, a Large with a 70mm stem and a Medium with a 90mm stem.

Both felt good for reach in the parking lot but once I started poping off of curbs and carving corners the Medium felt better to me. The Large didn't feel quite as nimble as the medium. Mind you this is just on the street around the Shop so it's not a true trail test.

i think if I went with the Ripley I wold go with a Medium with a 80mm Stem. Currently i ride a HD with a 70m Stem.

Grams Light Bikes
    I am 5'9" and use a 80mm on the med Ripley, same as on my med HD.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    I am 5'9" and use a 80mm on the med Ripley, same as on my med HD.
    Do you find the Ripley a little longer? Or do they feel about the same? Ripley has a little more reach, is it actually felt?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm a little shy of 5'9" and ride a medium Ripley, 140mm fork, and a 70mm 0 degree stem. So far I have several rides on this setup and feel it's pretty close to dialed. All though, the front end does seem to wonder a bit up the super steep, rocky, technical climbs a bit more than my large Tallboy, 120mm fork, and 80mm stem, but it does everything else better. I'll be trying both a 70mm and 75mm 6 degree flipped stem next weekend. I'll report back.

I initially I had it setup with a 90mm Enve 6 degree both ways, standard and flipped, did not like it at all. The only thing I did like, was the ability to climb steeper pitches without the front end wondering. I just felt like the bikes handling was bit too slow for my liking through the faster technical single track.

Edit - I'm also running Enve's 740mm sweeper bar and love it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Maybe I'm weird, but I'm 5'11 and prefer 60mm or less stems on my bikes. Compared to other bikes I have ridden and enjoyed, I am going with an XL Ripley since the reach is about where I like it.

I owned a size large Ripley for awhile and loved everything about it except that it was a size large. I prefer to have a little more top tube and shorter stem. The size large, for me, felt too small and almost twitchy.

If you look at stack/reach numbers of various bikes in the same category you will find that the XL Ripley is comparable to most companies size larges.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    That's precisely it. I ride a large, but I 'm really only looking at bikes with at least a 17" reach now. Its a confidence booster for me, and works better with the shorter stems , which provide better handling.

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    Do you find the Ripley a little longer? Or do they feel about the same? Ripley has a little more reach, is it actually felt?
    I find the reach and overall feel about the same, though obviously I am riding a 29 instead.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    I rode a large HD with the same stem and in comparison the Ripley felt a little longer in the cockpit. That said, the geometry of the Ripley is really dialed as it didn't feel unwieldy.

mtbr member
    I demoed a large ripley with 80mm and 120mm fork an a large with 70mm inverted stem and 140mm fork.. liked the 70mm inverted stem with 140 fork an that's what I'm building. I'm 5'10 with 31 inseam. I also ride a large mojo HD with a 50mm stem an set back seatpost. the ripley will have 0 setback seatpost
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

yohyatt
    Mar 2009
    im 5'9 with a 31 in inseam. i rode a 0 degree 50mm slammed stem on a large with 140 and it felt great going downhill but i couldn't climb it for crap. im not sure why the demo bikes don't have talas's on them. so i rode a medium 120 and got a feeling for what the 140 in the 110 position would feel like. ran a 70mm 6 degree up stem with a riser bar - and it felt 10x better going up - and still awesome going down. gonna go medium with 75mm 0 degree and 140/110 talas for my small trailbike.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm 5-11, 33.5 inseam. Ride a Large Ripley with a 70mm 0degree stem. I have a a 140 Float and the stem is all the way down. I might wanna try a 90mm on it, but overall the bike feels balanced for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Just my 2c but I currently own a 2011 Large Mach 429 with a 24.75" TT and I run a 75mm stem with a 720mm bar and it needs more weight over the front end. I demoed a Large Tallboy 2 with a 90mm stem and 24.1" TT and that thing gripped tons better than my Pivot in the front (seat and bars at same level). I think a longer stem on a 29er is key to keeping the bike playful and fun (smaller wheelbase) as well as weighting the front end (80-90mm stem is ideal for a 29er in my opinion especially if it lets you go down a frame size).
    I consider my glass half full unless I'm thirsty

mtbr member
    I'm 6'2", currently running an XL Ripley with 740mm Enve Sweep flat bar, 120mm fork. Right now I have a down-flipped 90mm/6degree stem w/ ~1" spacers under it.

I find that 90 or even 100mm stem (for a tall person like me) is a good option. This seems to put a bit more weight over the front wheel, which livens up the steering and really lets you rail through twisty corners. The Rip is a really snappy chassis, and especially with the 120mm fork it can be ridden like a supercharged XC bike, which is really fun. Shorter stems dampen the "snap" of the steering and unweight the front, which can make it feel kind of vague.

I believe Hans from Ibis noted in another thread that they purposefully designed the Ripley to take a slightly longer stem, with these characteristics in mind. He stated that his opinion is that short/high cockpit setups that let you get behind the saddle easily are not really necessary now that dropper posts are so common.

I will say that while I like the long stem, I may flip it to give higher bars. On an XL with 120mm fork and flat bar, a down-angled step produced a LOT of saddle-bar drop, and can feel like I'm flirting with over-the-bars on hard braking.

mtbr member
    I have a MD with a 70mm stem. I absolutely love how the bike handles. I'm on the shorter side though at 5.8"

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael15 View Post
    I have a MD with a 70mm stem. I absolutely love how the bike handles. I'm on the shorter side though at 5.8"
    About the same here,
    5'6" on a small frame Ripley with a slammed 70mm stem and 750mm bars. Feels very balanced to me. No problems with front tire traction. Body proportion is going to play a roll in stem length for sure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    About the same here,
    5'6" on a small frame Ripley with a slammed 70mm stem and 750mm bars. Feels very balanced to me. No problems with front tire traction. Body proportion is going to play a roll in stem length for sure.
    About the same here. 5'5" on a small Ripley with 70mm 6degree inverted stem and low rise 711mm bar. Compared to my Mojo SL (small with 80mm stem 6degree up), I don't lean forward and move up saddle as much on steep climbs. But I am a bit more up right as intended to reduce backpain. Now my backpain is much improved, I intend to try out 80mm or 90mm stem to increase the reach and hope it will make the climb even better on Ripley.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I was able to get a 3hour demo on a medium Ripley with a 90mm stem; it felt really good. Also running a 29r hardtail with a 90 stem and it's good too.