boba
    Dec 2007

Rim Advice needed for a "NOMAD" friend.

Hello from Vancouver Island...A friend is buying and building up a new Nomad. He considered the new HD Ibis, but several of us Ibis riders have had frame failures so he is hesitant and he has been happy with his old nomad. However, he wants to keep the Nomad as light as possible.

Question? He has decided to buy Chris King Hubs. He is a lighter rider...145lbs, and our terrain is wet, rooty, rocky and fairly challenging....He has decided to run tubeless for the first time. He generally uses 2.35 or 2.50 tires. He is looking for suggestions as to what Ibis owners might buy in a light, tubeless rim that can handle up to 2.50 tires, but mostly 2.35.
    Any of your ideas for the rims or other bits and pieces is appreciated...Bob...Vancouver island...where we ride all winter.

www.derbyrims.com
    28mm wide rim would be about the minimum width for a 2.5 wide tire without needing very high pressures to avoid bad sidewall folding and wallow. 28mm, and even more so but heavier 35mm, wide rims allow lower pressures and better rock rolling and traction for 2.3 tires also.

Mavic always makes a stiff round rim and have always set the high standard of quality. I've used DT Swiss 5.1d rims which are nice but do require more frequent truing than Mavics, WTB, and Velocity rims I've owned. Some say it is a softer metal than some others which could explain the more frequent truing interval. WTB Laserlite 28mm rims are stiff (at least my old 22mm WTB LL's were), but a little heavier than some.

Stan's Flow rims are 28mm, very light, and have mostly great reviews for tubeless converted clincher bead tires. For such a light rider these might be the best option for converted tubeless with King hubs.

On a side note, wheel stiffness potential is mostly from the spoke thickness (besides wheel builder quality). From my 15+ years experience wheel building for myself and friends, for stiff wheels don't go below 2.0/1.8 double-butted, straight gauge 2.0's aren't much stiffer and are less durable. For competitive XC racing use lighter spokes for the acceleration weigh advantage, when handling quality and years of durability is not so important.

mtbr member
    stans ZTR 355 or the new stans ZTR Crest

Grams Light Bikes
    I like the NoTubes Flow also (concur with Derby) with beefier spokes, especially for rocky terrain. For the ultimate wide rim, the Velocity P35 is bomber!

Also "He considered the new HD Ibis, but several of us Ibis riders have had frame failures so he is hesitant and he has been happy with his old nomad.", not sure where that has happened, I ride rock gardens going on 3.5 years now, and no frame issues?