dog's best friend
    May 2004

Rider weight restriction on an SL?

Pondering the puchase of a used SL frame to be built up as an XC ride. Think Bend not Moab. I weigh 230 lbs and ride conservatively. No big, just little air. Is there a weight consideration with the SL? Would I be better off with an HD?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    FWIW -
    I'm bigger than you at somewhere between 250 & 260...I rode the original mojo with updated lopes links and it felt super flexie to me. Then rode the HD and the SLR. Bought an SLR and the only negative flex I feel is in the fork ('13 float 32, 140). Occasionally under heavy side loading I get a bit of brake rub but that is it. The rest of the time it is stiff as I need for mostly UCSC riding. I also spec'd the SLX build - nice and stiff and not too $$$ when I eventually bend a chainring.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I haven't had any issues with mine...except maye the wheels. The stans arch stayed on about a year before I got tired of replacing spokes. Replaced with mavic 823 and xt hubs and haven't had an issue since. Since owning the 823s my weight has been anywhere between 242-255lbs, sans gear.