Grams Light Bikes

... and if we just ... Review of new Ibis Goodies - Links, seatpost clamp and Ti shock pin

Well thanks to Hans I got a nice set of goodies to test, weigh and play with. My early Xmas present! The goodies are the new lighter lower anodized link, the anodized upper links, the new Mojo SL anodized seatpost clamp and the Titanium rear shock pivot pin/axle.

For you weight weenies out there here is some breakdowns of the parts (I am weighing with the MyWeigh i2600 accurate to .1 gram):

Old Lower Link=132 grams
    New Lighter Lower Link=122.9 grams
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Weight savings=9.1 grams

Silk seatpost clamp=16.1 grams
    Mojo SL seatpost clamp=15.3
    ----------------------------------------------
    Weight savings=.8 grams

(Note, the new SL clamp has a bigger bolt then the Silks and its Ti, while the SIlk is steel, I never replaced the Silk Steel bolt, to wimpy of a bolt to switch out, IMHO)

Old upper links=99.4 grams
    New upper links=100.1 grams
    -------------------------------------------
    Weight Gain=.7 grams

(Note I had some other links laying around and the variance for the links is +/- .5 grams, so this figure is a bit meaningless, as is .7 grams! So this is ignorable)

Old shock pivot axle=9 grams (Ibis weighed this for me, their scale is accurate to 1g)
    New Ti shock pin=5.6 grams
    ----------------------------------------
    Weight difference=3.4 grams

My Old shock pivot axle/nut with 1 steel bolt=14.6 grams
    New Ti shock pin with 2 steel bolts= 11.1grams
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Weight difference=3.5 grams

(Note, I have the what appears to be a anomalous pivot axle, it seems to be some sort of long brake mounting nut http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=de...=30&SKU=BO1502 instead of their axle that takes 2 bolts, mine only needed 1 bolt)

Total Weight Savings (excluded upper links)=13.4 grams

Now I need to switch to the red Marta SL brakes!

The new Mojo SL seatpost clamp looks very sweet and is much beefier. I have broken a couple of bolts on the Silk seatpost clamp when I was putting the seat up and down. This is a much better design for mountain biking and should alleviate my issue. I will need to do some more testing but playing with the bolt and clamp last night already showed its much tougher.This should be on your Xmas list! Highly Recommended.

The new colors are some nice bling, so when it comes time to change out the bearings/links you have some fun choices. Heck its a fun choice even if you don't have to change out. Recommended

Here are some pictures of the new candy! Very sweet!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Those links look really sexy. If only I had thought of it in time I could have gotten a set for my wife for christmas.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Nice bike

Pastajet,

Very nice bike indeed. I'm jealous. What XTR front-D model you have? I thought it's
    only the XTR with a big X ( forgot the model number ) on it could work with the Mojo.

Thanks

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    I broke down and ordered the linkages (and some other ibis goodies). hopefully the folks at Ibis are not into holiday mode yet and can get them out in time for Christmas.

Grams Light Bikes
    Sean, they'll get it out asap, then you will be at the mercy of the holiday UPS and mail system! I was yakking with them today so they are around and very busy. Thanks Tom and Hans, your the best.

Update:

Old shock pivot axle=8.4 grams
    New Ti shock pin=5.4 grams
    ----------------------------------------
    Weight difference=3 grams

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Sweet ride, now you just need to paint your bolts to red and it will look AWESOME!!!
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by akazan
    Pastajet,

Very nice bike indeed. I'm jealous. What XTR front-D model you have? I thought it's
    only the XTR with a big X ( forgot the model number ) on it could work with the Mojo.

Thanks
    Thanks. My bike has the 2006 XTR Standard HI-Clamp Front Derailleur Model FD-M953, you can get it real cheap since the 2007 ones are out.

TranceX Rider
    Just been wondering, with all your WW upgrades is it not when one would buy the SL it's already by default installed on it?

TIA!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatienza
    There was no need to scare potential buyers and burn bridges "buddy"
    Tell me now, what's Product testing all bout then?

Grams Light Bikes
    The SL frame itself, discluding stuff that you can upgrade on the old frame, weighs .5 less. I already own my current frame. So even though I would have to buy a new rear shock, I would be out at least a lot of cash for the SL frame. In addition I still like the way the old naked frame looks, the shiny clearcoat covering the carbon weave is very sweet. Still a prettier frame IMHO and I have seen pretty much all the versions of the new SL. But yes the weight difference is a temptation, after all thats why my nickname is GRAM! In addition I have to pass my purchases past my the boss aka my Wife and that would go across like a lead balloon.

The new SL is a sweet piece of engineering and I would recommend it! Just a bit of a wait due to supply and demand, sort of like the original frame was last year at this time.

Peace!

TranceX Rider
    Yes, I agree! It's so tempting for owners like you to "upgrade" totally into an SL! Don't worry you're still a winner with your awesome ride!!!

But I feel you, Brother! It's really taking a toll on you particularly that your monicker is GRAM... You won't be called Gram for nothing at all!

Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatienza
    There was no need to scare potential buyers and burn bridges "buddy"
    Tell me now, what's Product testing all bout then?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Smile

grams is an iddiction we all have!!!!!!!!!

Grams Light Bikes
    Here is a picture of the new chainstay protector, very sweet indeed! Haven't taken it out for long ride as yet, but it is quieter in the parking lot test.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004

My wife loved the red linkages on her mojo.

Easiest year for Christmas presents. Package from Ibis arrived Friday before we hit the road for 11 days of riding in the Desert.

IMG_2096.JPG

She was pysched about the new red linkages for her Mojo and loved the pink Ibis girlie t-shirt (it looks pretty hot actually).