mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Reverb stuck in Frame!

I followed Rock Shox's directions and put the carbon anti slip stuff on my new Reverb and installed it two days ago. I haven't ridden it yet and I went to adjust it one more time and it is stuck in there. It is a 31.6. How do I get it out without damaging the Reverb?
    Thanks in advance
    Eric

Dropshot Champ!
    even with carbon paste?

weird.

but take an adjustable crescent wrench or some channel locks, put a cloth or tape around them, and grab the reverb collar. Twist and pull up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I was trying that, didn't want to do it too hard, it wasn't moving!

_____
    Jul 2007
    My KS dropper seized in my HD after a year. I was able to break it loose by gently (and not so gently) tapping it and the frame with a rubber mallet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thought of that as a last resort
    Thanks

mtbr member
    weird that it got stuck without being ridden or exposed to any elements. mine has seized up a couple times but due to water/sweat/dirt and grime doing its thing. I didn't have to resort to anything crazy, just put some TriFlow at the seatpost/seattube interface and let it sit for a bit, then was able to work it loose. so if you haven't already tried something like that give it a shot before getting rough.

mtbr member
    What I would do is gently warm up the seat tube with something like a hair dryer. Then use a rubber strap wrench similar to this one to turn the seat post back and forth. The trick is to get the seat tube warm w/o getting the post warm. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Carbon doesn't expand with heat does it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ok, so I got it out finally with some Tri Flow, a wrench, and a rubber mallet! Now that it is out, I looked down into the frame and I see nothing that would cause a problem. It actually only goes down about 10 inches or so, then widens up. Now I am scared to put it back in. Can I use white grease on it?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    As long as slipage isnt a problem (might very well be) a good quality grease is what was used on carbon before the friction paste was around.

Levi Early
    more carbon paste! I usually say when in doubt, add more lube.

Cumbria, England.
    Don't put grease or oil anywhere near carbon! At best, you won't be able to stop the post slipping, and you definitely don't want to be over-tightening the clamp on a carbon frame. At worst, the carbon will swell and you'll never get the post back out.

Another thing, your Reverb won't return all the way to the top if the seatpost clamp is too tight. That's the reason for the carbon grip, it should be used whatever the frame is made out of.
    - The seasons blow away, but the love is just the same -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D45yth View Post

Another thing, your Reverb won't return all the way to the top if the seatpost clamp is too tight. That's the reason for the carbon grip, it should be used whatever the frame is made out of.
    And this recommendation by SRAM left me searching for a dreaded creaking noise for over half a season last year. Used Finish Line Carbon paste and my Reverb post slipped from day 1 inside my Honzo when I used it. Also was real cautious about how tight my Chromag QR was. Not enough clamping and the post constantly slipped, too much QR clamping and it was creaking non-stop when in the seat, I was paying close attention to their recommended level of clamping force as well. Until one day I finally tracked it down to the damn carbon paste. Replaced with a light coating of Red Devil grease, tightened my QR clamp well enough and my Reverb now never slips, never creaks, and absolutely works flawlessly up and down.

I'll leave carbon paste for actual carbon fiber.