mtbr member
    Jan 2004

revelation world cup 15mm vs rlt ti 20mm

I'm accumulating my parts pile for an SLR. Looks like the revelation world cup is available only in 15mm axle - I really prefer 20mm as I have 3 wheelsets with that standard already. Its listed as available 20mm but apparently that's only OEM.

On the other hand, by my calculations the WC weighs in at 140g less than the RLT ti which is 1775g.

I'm looking to xc race this bike occasionally with a light wheelset, but ride it mostly as a trailbike with heavier wheels and tires.

Which would I notice more - relative lack of stiffness from that 15mm axle, or that extra 140g? I weigh 143lbs. I'm thinking it may be a wash, in which case the cheaper fork is probably the way to go. Anyone ridden both? Any suggestions on how to get the 20mm version of the WC? I guess I could buy both and swap the lowers, but that's crazy talk.

meh
    yeah, i was disappointed push is only selling thew Rev in 9mm or 15mm, i think 20mm is where its at...they basically said to send in a 20mm or swap the lowers

Dropshot Champ!
    Interested in this too. I'm still on a qr front fox (yuck!) and can't seem to decide on the rev rlt / rlt ti in 15mm or 20mm form. I know the jump from qr to ta is big, but can you really tell the difference between 15/20?

With the 15mm, I'd be able to keep my I9 front wheel. With 20mm, I'd just buy a hope/flow front.

Thoughts?

meh
    seems like a german mag did testing and the 15mm was closer to 9mm than it was 20mm...not sure if i am remembering correctly

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If you have a ton of money invested in a wheel set, then go with the rlt ti 15mm if its compatible... otherwise youre going to have to most expensive fork on the planet after swapping out the i9 hub on your current front wheel.

I went from a QR Fox rlc to a RS Rev rlt ti 15mm and it is light years better, much stiffer. If you aren't getting paid to be out on the course, i don't think the investment in a 20mm version given your current investment in the I9 wheel is worth it... tests and numbers aside respectively.

Rodeo

my .02

mtbr member
    Tough call. I'm on 20mm myself and love it...but the 15mm sounds like it might be the ideal for your situation. Overall the 15mm setup can be built up lighter, and you could ditch the zip ties for your brake line once and for all.... I read an article a while back where somebody from RockShox claimed the alu steerer crown is stiffer than the carbon... no idea if it would be noticeable. I've been gradually switching over to Hadley hubs so I'll be compatible with whatever comes next.
    If I were in your shoes I'd keep it simple and go 20mm RLTti, FWIW.